PDA

View Full Version : First Braid Since I Stupidly Chopped It All Off!

GoddesJourney
January 3rd, 2014, 08:54 PM
So, around August the year before last I got sick of my hair (having it in a bun all the time for work is really uncomfortable, especially since my hair only goes up wet), sick of my life, sick of my job, sick of people making accusations every time I made a male friend, etc. And this all made sense to me at the time but I cut off my hair around where it is now. Within a month it was boy cut pixie length. This was all fun and games for two or three weeks until it started getting shaggy and itchy and sweaty around my face giving me acne, etc. Getting it back to where I could tie it back took about a year of cutting off the bottom somewhat frequently to avoid the mullet. It doesn't help that like 90% of the hairdressers I went to kept cutting trimming all of my hair to "even it out" (which it didn't need) and "trim my bangs" (which I explained I didn't have, my hair was just short and I wanted that part to grow). I was royally *unhappy* and down a lot of money over time even going to cheap places. It seemed I got the same quality of haircut regardless of what I paid. However, never having had hair shorter than APL in my life, I got the opportunity to learn and experience some new things.

Things I learned:
1. Contrary to what I had always been told, short hair is definitely not easier, cheaper, or lower maintenance since I never styled it or had to put product in it or pay anyone else to cut it when it was long.
2. Apparently, if my hair is short, I get this thing called "bed head".
3. I spit toothpaste on my short hair when I'm tired because it's not smart enough stay behind my shoulders.
4. On the up side, boy cut hair let me wear hats, hard hats, gas masks, respirators, etc. correctly for the first time in my life.
5. So that's what all the hype is about for having windows down in the car… :D
6. Short hair brings out my caucasian look and long hair brings out my hispanic look, regardless of what color my skin is at the time. I can't quite get my mind around why but it does.
7. I use the same amount of shampoo and almost the same amount of conditioner on SL hair as BSL.
8. My hair needs to be APL, at least, to make a bun.
9. It feels weird to not have hair long enough to pull when I'm massaging my scalp when I'm tired.
10. Although I got used to it, and sometimes I thought it was cute, I hate dealing with short hair and I'm not a huge fan of how it looks (and feels) on me. I plan to grow it back out and keep it that way.

That said, on to the pictures!!

Today I found out I can make a regular English braid at the nape, which was my old favorite, and have it stay. I know it looks at bit like a French braid because it's really short, but it's not one.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8523&d=1388805891

I tucked the ends and here's what that looks like.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8525&d=1388805895

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8524&d=1388805893

Fairlight63
January 3rd, 2014, 09:11 PM
Looks really pretty! Won't be long before it is long again, just wear it up & pretend it is long. With it in the updo's no one can tell just how long your hair is.

Glad that you shared your experience with us. Sometimes I think of cutting my waist length hair short, the thoughts seem to be coming more frequently lately. I know that I would just regret it. Thanks for sharing!

GoddesJourney
January 3rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
Looks really pretty! Won't be long before it is long again, just wear it up & pretend it is long. With it in the updo's no one can tell just how long your hair is.

Glad that you shared your experience with us. Sometimes I think of cutting my waist length hair short, the thoughts seem to be coming more frequently lately. I know that I would just regret it. Thanks for sharing!

That's about the length I had it when I cut it off. I put myself in about a three year growing debt, so knowing what that feels like will probably keep me from ever doing it again. I think by next year I should at least feel comfortable with it. Updos are uncomfortable for me so I can't wait until I can wear normal braids, especially ones that are secure enough for working out. Nothing I can do about having to bun it at work, so I guess that will be the price I pay. Now I know it's worth it. ;)

…and thanks!

Yozhik
January 3rd, 2014, 09:24 PM
Your tuck looks great! Very elegant!
I also find it really interesting how your degree of "ethnicity" changes depending on hair length. :hmm:

I also enjoyed reading your description of the pros and cons of short hair. When I had a summer job that required a hard hat, people always made fun of me because it sat funny on my bun. :p However, if I were ever to cut my hair back, I don't think I'd cut it much shorter than SL (pixie-chin-collar bone were really awkward on me).

Knowing what you do now, would you do it again for the experience? :flower:

spidermom
January 3rd, 2014, 09:36 PM
Can't relate.
Short hair = super easy for me.
But been there, done that; don't want it.

Thinthondiel
January 3rd, 2014, 09:50 PM
Congrats on getting your hair back to a braidable length - it looks good! I'm currently at a short pixie stage, and about to grow it long again... I've had a pixie several times before, so I know what it's like to grow it out, and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm hoping that this time, I'll be able to trim it myself to avoid the mullet.

Re: your hair length influencing what ethnicity you look like... my mother is Norwegian, with no other nationalities in her family tree for quite a few generations back, yet back when she had long hair, people kept speaking English to her because they didn't think she looked Norwegian... I think they probably thought she was from Southern or Eastern Europe. It's happened a couple of times now that she has short hair as well, but not as often as back when she had long hair.

GoddesJourney
January 3rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Your tuck looks great! Very elegant!
I also find it really interesting how your degree of "ethnicity" changes depending on hair length. :hmm:

I also enjoyed reading your description of the pros and cons of short hair. When I had a summer job that required a hard hat, people always made fun of me because it sat funny on my bun. :p However, if I were ever to cut my hair back, I don't think I'd cut it much shorter than SL (pixie-chin-collar bone were really awkward on me).

Knowing what you do now, would you do it again for the experience? :flower:

Nope. I could've done without it. But you never know, maybe this was the right time for me to know how much I don't want it like that. Maybe I would've done it later when it was much longer and I would've been that much more disappointed? :/

Anyway, I was watching "torrinpaige TV" and she inspired me to just give that Dutch braid a try since it's almost long enough to start braiding…and these are the results! :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8529&d=1388810876

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8530&d=1388810893

PixxieStix
January 3rd, 2014, 11:37 PM
Glad you had the experience, because at least now you know what you do and do not like about it, and can definitively state a preference.
Congrats on the braid, it is one of the super exciting stages when growing your hair again from a short length. :)

Fairlight63
January 4th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Your Dutch braid looks really good! so elegant! My hair is too long I guess (35") to do a Dutch braid - for me anyway - I keep getting so frustrated trying to do it - it just keeps getting tangled up together & feels like I am pulling out hairs trying to separate it, then it winds up looking a mess. I just give up almost in tears. I guess that I just need to practice more, yours looks so good! Maybe it is the texture of my hair - 2a really fine and tangle prone!

Wosie
January 4th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I don't know what's wrong, but sadly I can't see your pictures. :/ I tried to refresh the page several times, but alas, naught is seen!

walterSCAN
January 4th, 2014, 02:26 PM
I don't know what's wrong, but sadly I can't see your pictures. :/ I tried to refresh the page several times, but alas, naught is seen!

I'm guessing her photos are linked from her albums-- you'll be able to see them when you get to 25 posts. Welcome to LHC!

Tini'sNewHair
January 4th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Awh it was great reading your experience, I wish i could make your hair grow in a flash. I envy you for being so good at still doing updos even at these shorter lengths because ive always struggled with mine and it only JUST started getting easier now at MBL, I can FINALLY do a braid :o I think my arms were to long or something :s Anyway, best of wishes on your growing jorney, you will get there but in the meantime try and enjoy the in between stages to because those are fun to :)

Wosie
January 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I'm guessing her photos are linked from her albums-- you'll be able to see them when you get to 25 posts. Welcome to LHC!

Oh, I didn't know about that. :o Thanks for the heads up and the kind welcome! I'll make sure to return here when I've reached 25 posts.

walterSCAN
January 4th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Oh, I didn't know about that. :o Thanks for the heads up and the kind welcome! I'll make sure to return here when I've reached 25 posts.

You're welcome. :flower: Hope you enjoy yourself here-- this forum becomes very addicting. You'll be at 25 posts before you know it!

GoddesJourney
January 4th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Awh it was great reading your experience, I wish i could make your hair grow in a flash. I envy you for being so good at still doing updos even at these shorter lengths because ive always struggled with mine and it only JUST started getting easier now at MBL, I can FINALLY do a braid :o I think my arms were to long or something :s Anyway, best of wishes on your growing jorney, you will get there but in the meantime try and enjoy the in between stages to because those are fun to :)

I think having very small hands helps me get a close grip. Then I struggle and contort myself to wrap the hair tie and abstain from any breathing or blinking while I take a picture to prove it happened. :D

WoolSweater
January 4th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Wow, this style looks beautiful on you! Also love the angel wings on the back of your shirt. :)

So, around August the year before last I got sick of my hair (having it in a bun all the time for work is really uncomfortable, especially since my hair only goes up wet), sick of my life, sick of my job, sick of people making accusations every time I made a male friend, etc. And this all made sense to me at the time but I cut off my hair around where it is now. Within a month it was boy cut pixie length. This was all fun and games for two or three weeks until it started getting shaggy and itchy and sweaty around my face giving me acne, etc. Getting it back to where I could tie it back took about a year of cutting off the bottom somewhat frequently to avoid the mullet. It doesn't help that like 90% of the hairdressers I went to kept cutting trimming all of my hair to "even it out" (which it didn't need) and "trim my bangs" (which I explained I didn't have, my hair was just short and I wanted that part to grow). I was royally *unhappy* and down a lot of money over time even going to cheap places. It seemed I got the same quality of haircut regardless of what I paid. However, never having had hair shorter than APL in my life, I got the opportunity to learn and experience some new things.

Things I learned:
1. Contrary to what I had always been told, short hair is definitely not easier, cheaper, or lower maintenance since I never styled it or had to put product in it or pay anyone else to cut it when it was long.
2. Apparently, if my hair is short, I get this thing called "bed head".
3. I spit toothpaste on my short hair when I'm tired because it's not smart enough stay behind my shoulders.
4. On the up side, boy cut hair let me wear hats, hard hats, gas masks, respirators, etc. correctly for the first time in my life.
5. So that's what all the hype is about for having windows down in the car… :D
6. Short hair brings out my caucasian look and long hair brings out my hispanic look, regardless of what color my skin is at the time. I can't quite get my mind around why but it does.
7. I use the same amount of shampoo and almost the same amount of conditioner on SL hair as BSL.
8. My hair needs to be APL, at least, to make a bun.
9. It feels weird to not have hair long enough to pull when I'm massaging my scalp when I'm tired.
10. Although I got used to it, and sometimes I thought it was cute, I hate dealing with short hair and I'm not a huge fan of how it looks (and feels) on me. I plan to grow it back out and keep it that way.

That said, on to the pictures!!

Today I found out I can make a regular English braid at the nape, which was my old favorite, and have it stay. I know it looks at bit like a French braid because it's really short, but it's not one.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8523&d=1388805891

I tucked the ends and here's what that looks like.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8525&d=1388805895

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8524&d=1388805893