PDA

View Full Version : Yet another article on Hollywood hair extensions

chen bao jun
January 3rd, 2014, 02:12 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-hair-extensions-how-a-565805
Who knew the men got them too?

Crumpet
January 3rd, 2014, 02:40 PM
Just a personal opinion: I'm a bit ooked out by extensions. There's something a bit weird about gluing someone else's hair into ones own that sends shivers down the spine. To each her/his own but...shivers.

frejafjord
January 3rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
I love how quick they are to mention that "men will always prefer long hair". If they are equally attracted to glued on hair then it's true that evolution is failing.

HintOfMint
January 3rd, 2014, 02:58 PM
The men getting them is quite a surprise! I knew about toupees, but I always thought that was an outdated concept and most dudes tend to crop it very short or shave their heads once their hairlines start receding.

I know fakeness and vanity is all a part of Hollywood, but this sounds so... exhausting. An exhausting and thankless process for something that probably wasn't a problem in the first place. Unless one's hair is so thin that his/her scalp is showing, chances are, he/she looked just fine.

I can laugh about it now, but I remember a female friend of my date saying to me, "Have you seen Good Hair? I have extensions made from your people's hair!" I think Chen and I had a little discussion about it on the Dumbest Hair Comments thread. So it's interesting to see how ubiquitous extensions have become among us "normal people."

chen bao jun
January 3rd, 2014, 03:35 PM
I remember that discussion! And you are so sweet, you thought that woman meant no harm. I was impressed by that.

I also think extensions are extremely icky, crumpet. I get creepy crawlies just at the thought. and I have extreme curls so, while my hair grows quite fast, it doesn't LOOK long quickly. I would rather it looked short forever though than to start gluing or bonding otehr people's hair onto my head. Call me crazy, but I think hair is a bit--personal.

To each their own, but I was startled by the 'oh, this is so normal' tone of the article.

And as for 'men are attracted to long hair' I don't so much believe in evolution, but if there is such a thing, I think it's fairly safe to say that Hollywood men may be a bit less 'evolved' than the rest of the sex.

monsoonstorm
January 3rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
The thing is, I think long hair appeals to mens more... primal instincts...

I can't imagine being able to run your hand through a bunch of extensions.

I also have hilarious images in my head of a guy getting a little... rough... and ending up with hands full of hair. Talk about ruining the mood!

I already have some friends who are obsessive about not touching hair (due to the amount of product in it usually) and I just can't help but think "what's the point?". The only time I've ever experienced that was on my wedding day when the hairdresser unloaded about a can and a half of hairspray on my head. It felt awful, and at the end of the night I was too busy soaking my head and trying to find a mass of bobby pins. Hardly romantic!

As for the ick factor, I agree. I just don't like the idea at all.

TheHowlingWolf
January 3rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
Tbh, who cares what men (in general) like? lol. If a woman wants long or short hair, she should do whatever she wants, not do something just because "men prefer it".
I honestly didn't read the article, just skimmed some parts.

Sweet_Decadence
January 3rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
I don't really know why men really come in the the equation or are used as a justification either way. Doing anything either way with your appearance to appease any group sounds exhausting. Men like long hair, short hair, big butts, small butts, blue eyes, green eyes, some men don't even like women. Whats that phrase, I'm not here to decorate your world?

Several of my friends have hair extensions installed, and really I'm jealous of how incredibly big and beautiful their hair is, one day I'd like to achieve something similar.

Hootenanny
January 3rd, 2014, 04:28 PM
Interesting read; thanks for posting, chen! I've never had extensions myself (add me to the ick-factor list; and also, what if the extensions come to life and take over my brain, like in that Simpson's episode! :rollin: ), but I've had quite a few friends and acquaintances who have, and some of them seem to become "addicted" to the extensions, both physically and psychologically. Physically, in the sense that their hair thins from wearing them and so they begin to need to wear them, and psychologically, in the sense that they no longer see natural hair as normal (they think it looks thin, ratty, etc.). While I do think extensions can be used in a healthy and attractive way, I've seen them go wrong in enough cases to not want to risk it myself. It must be rough on celebrities to basically be forced to use them (i.e., "keeping up with the Joneses" in Hollywood).

sarahthegemini
January 3rd, 2014, 04:42 PM
"Women know no matter what waif look*Michelle Williams*or*Carey Mulligan*has, men prefer long,Gisele-like hair"

I think that's a truely disgusting thing to say.

makeminea99
January 3rd, 2014, 04:48 PM
Not sure about human hair extensions - I always wonder about all those folks who donated their long hair thinking it's going to be made into a wig for someone with alopecia or with hair loss due to cancer treatment, only for it to end up as extensions. However, each to their own. I've recently been thinking about buying some cheapy coloured synthetic ones to add colour to braids recently, so there you go . . .

Mya
January 3rd, 2014, 04:56 PM
"When I take a yoga class in L.A.," says film hairstylist and SHE by SoCaps hair-extensions celebrity artistic director Sacha Quarles (Sex and the City, Gangster Squad), "I really see it on downward dog: tape, glue, bonds at the roots, everyone has extensions. And not just celebrities."

"Women know no matter what waif look Michelle Williams or Carey Mulligan has, men prefer long, Gisele-like hair," says hairstylist Yuki Sharoni, whose Beverly Hills salon offers extensions. "Long hair is synonymous with sex appeal." And we all know sex holds much more sway in Hollywood than style.

Oh yeah, everyone has them! Oh yeah, longhairs want to be sexayyy for teh menzzzz.

Those hairstylists make such silly statements. In what kind of world do they live? All that fake beauty equipment is a standard for the show biz. There's nothing bad or weird in that. But, hello, there's the outer world too, where people's job isn't to look glamorous all the time (even if, that's to admit, many feel the pressure to do so). I'm not against extensions themselves, as I strongly believe that everyone must be able to freely do whatever they want with their own bodies, but yes, it's the "oh so normal (thus obligatory)" tone of the article that is annoying. Also, it's not the first time that I hear/see high end hairstylists talk, and every single time I'm baffled by their stupidity.

You have be sexay, so men will pet your head. Meh.

askan
January 3rd, 2014, 05:01 PM
I don't think it's very different from wigs. People who suffer from hairloss/balding can use them, as well as people who just want their dream style or some instant glam. It's good to know that a lot of celebrities do wear wigs, weaves or extenstion though, good to know that it isn't always realistic to be able to change your hair as some of them do, who appear to have thick, long hair that is constanty styled. But I don't think it's icky in any way.

I also agree that the part about men's supposed preferences is false, completely pointless and rude.

makeminea99
January 3rd, 2014, 05:02 PM
Oh yeah, everyone has them! Oh yeah, longhairs want to be sexayyy for teh menzzzz.

Those hairstylists make such silly statements. In what kind of world do they live? All that fake beauty equipment is a standard for the show biz. There's nothing bad or weird in that. But, hello, there's the outer world too, where people's job isn't to look glamorous all the time (even if, that's to admit, many feel the pressure to do so). I'm not against extensions themselves, as I strongly believe that everyone must be able to freely do whatever they want with their own bodies, but yes, it's the "oh so normal (thus obligatory)" tone of the article that is annoying. Also, it's not the first time that I hear/see high end hairstylists talk, and every single time I'm baffled by their stupidity.

You have be sexay, so men will pet your head. Meh.

Yeah, got to laugh at them, haven't you? The dafties. Thing is, it's so true that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', isn't it? We all find different things attractive, and thank goodness we do! It'd be boring if we were all the same! :)

heidi w.
January 3rd, 2014, 05:02 PM
Ick.
heidi w.

walterSCAN
January 3rd, 2014, 05:09 PM
I got stopped here:

A popular, apparently safe and pricier method is keratin bonds: taking an individual strand with a keratin strip attached to the end and wrapping that tip around a piece of real hair an inch off the root.

How does this not take 900 years??? Individual strands?!

Heat is applied, "but it shouldn't go above 230 degrees Fahrenheit," warns Quarles. "That's where the damage comes in. A lot of people let the heat get to 500. Past 350, you could be ruining your hair." An acetone-like solvent loosens the bond after it has been worn for two or three months.

I just... :run:

Mya
January 3rd, 2014, 05:47 PM
Yeah, got to laugh at them, haven't you? The dafties. Thing is, it's so true that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', isn't it? We all find different things attractive, and thank goodness we do! It'd be boring if we were all the same! :)

We would be extinct as well. Standardized beauty isn't going to last in a person. Time, and being human... they do things to your body. Not necessarily negative, but it's a constant change. So, beauty standards are the wrong thing to bet on if you want to last.

Something that really bothers me is how natural it seems to say that "men (or women) like this and that". Which translates in "half of the world population, just because has a penis, thinks all the same". It's so sexist, and offensive towards love partners. If I'm relating to my partner, I'm not relating to all men: I'm actually relating to my partner. So why am I supposed to think that I'm relating to all men? Like he's not good enough to have his own personality? Like I'm supposed to couple with someone that feels as banal as a thousand other people? Because he has a penis. (Or a vagina, for women.)

Here's the news: one may want to relate to a person, or two, or ten, but it's never going to happen, to anybody, to relate to a whole gender. And if a person likes me, it's because they are supposed to actually like me, not to like all vagina-supplied people.

Maybe it's what really is all about, for many people. They really consider themselves a body attached to a vagina and their partner a body attached to a penis.

chen bao jun
January 3rd, 2014, 06:04 PM
I got stopped here:
How does this not take 900 years??? Individual strands?!
I just... :run:
Yes, Walterscan, I found the mechanics of having the things put in one of the more interesting parts of the article. I'm at the point where when I hear the word 'keratin' I want to run, although I know that keratin is a protein that hair is made out of, not a damaging formaldehyde hair treatment or this keratin bonding hair extensions...
I don't get how anyone can have 500 degree heat applied to their hair and still have hair.
Also, I was interested in the section where they said, a person shouldn't add more than 4-5 inches or whatever longer than the length of their hair. A whole of the obvious hair extensions I see on people are butt length on people who obviously have only ear length hair--no wonder people get bald.

AngryVikingGirl
January 3rd, 2014, 06:24 PM
Well, what it made me think is 'oh my, I would never do that maintenance'

CremeTron
March 30th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Not sure about human hair extensions - I always wonder about all those folks who donated their long hair thinking it's going to be made into a wig for someone with alopecia or with hair loss due to cancer treatment, only for it to end up as extensions. However, each to their own. I've recently been thinking about buying some cheapy coloured synthetic ones to add colour to braids recently, so there you go . . .

I made some parandi/ paranda with some synthetic hair recently. It worked well and does add a nice flash. I was using them to do milkmaid braids during a few quiet off work and a little bored days.

CurlyCap
March 30th, 2014, 09:52 PM
I don't get how anyone can have 500 degree heat applied to their hair and still have hair.

When you think about it, hair is ridiculously resilient. In order to straighten my hair, I have to set my straightener to around 475. Anything less and my hair won't straighten. Then again, I never straightened on a regular basis and there was always damage afterward.

And I don't even want to think about the heat of an old-fashioned hot comb. Gah.

ErinLeigh
March 31st, 2014, 12:56 AM
One of my closest friends has beautiful WL Asian hair. It is all one length, healthy, shiny and thick in my opinion. She just paid hundred to add extensions to "thicken up" her look. I admit the new hair looks nice but I was surprised she did it when her own hair was so beautiful on my eyes. She got the extensions that tape on and last several months.
I am curious to see if she gets tired of them or continues to re install them. I worry her real hair is going to get messed up but I will never say anything. I want her to enjoy the experience.

I guess I was just surprised to find that even people with "dream hair" seek something grander.

RedNymph
March 31st, 2014, 04:42 AM
I always get down about articles like this. I have a pixie cut so articles like this make me feel....well frumpy and unfeminine. Long hair seems to be preferred be everyone. Whether fake or natural.

Though for the actresses however, their hair is put through a grueling routine of styling for the sake of movies and tv shows. Their hair factors into their jobs.

Shailene Woodley died her hair blonde for the movie adaptation of Divergent to play book character Tris. She then cut it short for another book-to-movie adaptation role in Fault in Our Stars to portray pixie cut haired Hazel. Scarlett Johanssen dies her hair red for Avengers because Black Widow is redheaded in the comics. Models have it in their contract that they cannot cut their hair unless management tells them. Just google Coco Rocha about how she had to have permission to cut her hair.

MeowScat
March 31st, 2014, 07:01 AM
Interesting article! The part that blew my mind was that Farrah wore extensions back in the 70's. I wonder how many women destroyed their hair trying to achieve that look, not knowing that Farrah's hair couldn't even do that.

Mind blown.

Bagginslover
March 31st, 2014, 07:30 AM
I honestly don't think the stylists really beleive ther claims about long hair attacting men etc, but they do beleive that saying that will sell their product, and have women flocking to them. Guess what? It works!

queenovnight
March 31st, 2014, 07:57 AM
On the 'men prefer long hair' thing, I feel it should be said.. All men are different. But in all honesty, I've never heard a man say that they like or 'don't mind' extensions. I've only ever heard complaints. One guy, he actually told me "I hate your extensions." and preferred my shoulder length hair. After that embarrassment, I stopped wearing them. This is from personal experience.. but every man I've dated or just spoken to (even friends) has said that they like long hair on women. It's just viewed as 'feminine.' Also keep in mind that to a man 'long hair' isn't waist length. To men, BSL is considered long. But extensions are another thing.. I think a part of the 'long hair allure' is that a man can actually touch it, and that it is connected to your scalp. With extensions.. you don't want anybody running their fingers through your tracks Lol.

Islandgrrl
March 31st, 2014, 08:17 AM
I always get down about articles like this. I have a pixie cut so articles like this make me feel....well frumpy and unfeminine. Long hair seems to be preferred be everyone. Whether fake or natural.

Don't feel badly about your hair. Many of us started with a pixie or shorter (that would be me). All it takes is time.

chen bao jun
March 31st, 2014, 08:35 AM
Yeah, men basically like touchable hair. also there are plenty of men who like short hair. We on this forum probably don't tend to meet them. but I know my dad LOVED my mom's short hair (which she hated and actually was trying to get to grow and thought it wouldn't until recently). His mom had hip length hair and spent a lot of time on it and his sisters' hair and he wanted a woman who would pay more attention to him than to the hair.
My husband also met me when I had very short hair (one of only two times in my life). when I grew to what he thinks of as long (BSL) he was startled and said he never guessed it would grow that long. I asked if he liked it and he kind of shrugged. He's another of those, scared to touch the hair men. Many black men grow up thinking women's hair should never be touched because of all that black women tend to be doing to their hair that is easily messed up. I have been telling my husband for 35 years that I like him to touch my hair and he still has extreme anxiety issues about that, apologizes when he brushes into it, etc. etc.

LongHairLesbian
March 31st, 2014, 10:39 AM
I honestly don't think the stylists really beleive ther claims about long hair attacting men etc, but they do beleive that saying that will sell their product, and have women flocking to them. Guess what? It works!

Quoted for truth! Men all like different things, being, you know, half the population. It's a pretty large and diverse demographic. :P And even if many men like long hair... that doesn't necessarily mean that they like extensions. While this isn't a deal breaker, I like to be able to touch and tug a partner's hair, it feels playful and intimate. Extensions kind of get in the way of that, so I'm not a fan.

Lindseyh
March 31st, 2014, 11:56 AM
The thing is, I think long hair appeals to mens more... primal instincts...

I can't imagine being able to run your hand through a bunch of extensions.

I also have hilarious images in my head of a guy getting a little... rough... and ending up with hands full of hair. Talk about ruining the mood!

I already have some friends who are obsessive about not touching hair (due to the amount of product in it usually) and I just can't help but think "what's the point?". The only time I've ever experienced that was on my wedding day when the hairdresser unloaded about a can and a half of hairspray on my head. It felt awful, and at the end of the night I was too busy soaking my head and trying to find a mass of bobby pins. Hardly romantic!

As for the ick factor, I agree. I just don't like the idea at all.

This happened to me at my wedding. I was sick from all the commotion and new hubby picked all the pins out for me. He was amazed at how many there were and how my hair felt. 5+ years later he still mentions it!

Nadine <3
March 31st, 2014, 01:01 PM
Honestly, I don't give a rip what men are attracted too lol I do what I want with my body, whether they like it or not. My ex LOVED long hair, but did that stop me from going and getting it cut the way I felt like I wanted it? Nooope, I still did it. Regretted it about a day later, but that's another story lol Now that I'm growing it back out, I'm sure as heck not going to go get it cut off because it's what a guy likes...nope, I keep my hair they way I like it for myself. If your a girl who likes to get extensions well then good! You get em and rock it out! If you want your hair kept in a pixie, more power to ya! Rock it girl! If you want to grow your hair down to your arse and beyond, don't let anyone stand in your way! Growing your hair that long takes a lot of patience and time.

I think to many women spend to much time worrying over what other people will like. Worry about whether or not YOU like it for cripes sake. :soapbox:

Lady Mary
March 31st, 2014, 04:51 PM
My husband doesn't care what length my hair is, as far as that goes, as long as he can touch it. Really wouldn't be workable if I wore extensions or what not. Also, growing your own hair is free, extensions are big business. I don't take what any of those so called experts seriously. They're just salesmen to me.

Rosa Harris
March 31st, 2014, 05:13 PM
Yesterday I went into a beauty supply house and this woman came up to me and told me she loved my weave and wanted to know what hair I used. I told her it was my hair and she said 'i know honey, I paid for mine too and its mine'.. I was like WTF?

Lydialove
March 31st, 2014, 06:38 PM
I forget that extensions are a thing that people do, so I'm always a little confused when people ask me if my hair is mine.

Vanilla
March 31st, 2014, 07:57 PM
Johnny Weir openly talked about his weave during most of the Olympics. I didn't really care for the look that he had.