PDA

View Full Version : Hairdo for labour?

wandlimb
January 3rd, 2014, 10:54 AM
I'm sure this has been done before, but I can't find it. I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for how to do my hair when I have the baby? It gets disgracefully tangled at the best of times and I really need it out of the way. It's WL at the moment.

walterSCAN
January 3rd, 2014, 11:07 AM
I had mine in three braids braided together, then bunned, to try to reduce tangles. It worked ok-- it would have been better if I'd been able to get a shower sooner than 2 days later, though. (hot water on the floor was out and they didn't get it fixed until right before we left :mad: )

terpentyna
January 3rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
If I had someone that would do it for me I would have asked for a nice and tight french braid. The most "out of the way" hair do I can imagine is the spiral braid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66974&highlight=spiral+braid), but it's complicated and specific in appearance.

I tied mine up into a cinnabun with the wrist part of a latex medical glove when I got in the bathtub. It was quite a mess.

LaFlor
January 3rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
In retrospect, I think I would have done well to have oiled my hair and done some kind of tight braids. It would have been a great time to do some kind of 2-3 day deep conditioning treatment because it looked awful anyway and I wasn't thinking about my hair (an I didn't wash it for a few days), and tight braids seem like the one thing that would have stayed the most.

Either way, I don't think any particular hairdo would have survived the labor process, especially since I didn't have an epidural and I was constantly moving and squirming around. Buns wouldn't have worked, except for maybe a messy bun right on top of my head, and down would have gotten really tangled.

It probably all depends on what kind of labor you have. My labor experiences left me with messy hair regardless of what I did :shrug:

Marika
January 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
I put my hair in a high bun (held by a fork) but needless to say, my hair was still a sweaty tangly mess after labour. It took about 3 hours to detangle and I felt like I lost half of my hair. But it was worth it and amazing experience (in a best possible way). Braids might work for some but they are a no-no for me.

Congratulations and good luck!:heart: My baby turns 2 months tomorrow!

Vivalagina
January 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
My baby is 3 months. :-) I threw it into an English braid because when I realized I was in labor the last thing I cared about was my hair lol. I had an unmedicated vaginal birth and the braid worked well with all the moving I did.

Merlin
January 3rd, 2014, 11:30 AM
First of all, many congratulations!

Second, based on having been there... I don't think that Mrs M actually gave a crap what was happening with her hair while she was having our eldest, having other things on her mind at the time :-) It sort of resembled a very extreme workout session, so whatever you'd do for the Gym might be an idea?

Merlin
January 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
My labor experiences left me with messy hair regardless of what I did :shrug:

:-)
To lower the tone, having the baby rather reflects the state you're in after conceiving it...

Maktub
January 3rd, 2014, 11:48 AM
I must say I have never given birth...

But I would imagine a relatively tight french braid with oiled hair would be good.
That way you can lie down and turn any way you like, go in and out of water if needed, move around, etc.

Then, when ever you get to wash your hair, a good detangling of wet hair full of conditionner should do the trick !

Maybe you can wear your hair that way everyday for a while, that way you don't have to think about hair when it actually starts ?

Congratulations for your baby and I wish you a very positive birth experience ! :grouphug:

Madora
January 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM
Perhaps Heidi braids? Congrats on the upcoming arrival!

TiaKitty
January 3rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
I did twin braids. I started brushing my hair out and braiding it when I got to the hospital. It gave me something to do/concentrate on for a while. Then I got up and walked and walked and walked.

Best wishes for a smooth labor and delivery! :flower:

wandlimb
January 3rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Looks like braids will be best then! Thanks everyone :)

pogo0685
January 3rd, 2014, 03:07 PM
Braids, either a French braid or twin braids. I did twin brains and my hair was still a mess when I was done but I did not care at the time. Congratulations!

Juanita
January 3rd, 2014, 03:12 PM
Two plaits both times. 32 and 30 years ago this year.

Loviatar
January 3rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
As a hope-to-be-midwife you have my congratulations! I think I would recommend two French or English braids, (French May be tidier especially if like me you have lots of wispies) held with aloe at the bangs/crown to keep it off your face, and twisted up into buns above the ears. No bun at the back means you can lie flat if you want to rest that way (not that I advocate birthing that way as you're rather working against gravity) and if you choose to birth laterally (on your side) you can take a bun out. Use easy pins to hold the buns, such as Amish. I wouldn't bother oiling the scalp in case sweating pours oil down your face - but you may want to oil the length to keep it restrained!

And remember if you let the buns down in a water birth pool you get a free mermaid soak (joke!!)

Congratulations again :)

bunzfan
January 3rd, 2014, 03:42 PM
When I had my last it was down but at only shoulder length not that bothersome I'd go for a braid that way you'd be more comfy lying down than if it was in a bun, I agree that is the last thing on your mind :lol:

chen bao jun
January 3rd, 2014, 03:46 PM
Photos of me which the hubby insisted on taking after each of our three sons was born show me with horrific looking hair but beautific smile holding the baby. I don't really remember what the hair started out looking like, it was 28, 26 and 19 years ago.
Friend of mine with the longest hair had cornrows put in (she's white, maybe 1b or c), hair was intact and undamaged when she took it out. I guess you could also call them french braids, it was 3 or 4 large ones pinned up.
she had two then adopted the next two (older kids)