PDA

View Full Version : Oily Hair Smell Cures

uptosomeone
January 3rd, 2014, 06:16 AM
I know my hair has never smelled like shampoo as long as some people's have, but I haven't ever paid much attention to what my scalp smelled like. Recently, though, I discovered that my scalp tends to smell like grease/oil, and I'd really like to rid myself of it! Not that oily hair smell is the worst thing. It's not. I just would like to not have it. Any thoughts? I've been thinking about trying a white vinegar or ACV vinegar rinse since vinegar is ph balancing.Anyone had any luck with those getting rid of the oil smell?

lapushka
January 3rd, 2014, 07:43 AM
Maybe try a dry shampoo. It should be nice and refreshing for those days when the hair is a little oily.

BlueMajorelle
January 3rd, 2014, 07:55 AM
While most common body odor is caused by the normal presence of bacteria on our skin metabolizing the sugars and proteins, some foods may be the culprit behind odor as well. You smell like what you eat. What is your diet like? Eating a lot of red meat, garlic and onions, fermented foods, or greasy junk food can cause yucky smelling oil.

ACV is good for balancing the pH of your scalp but realize that your scalp will smell like vinegar instead. I do a rinse maybe every few washes, and the smell goes away when the hair dries but then when I do a sweaty workout, or hair gets rained on, or even if I itch my scalp, I'll smell the vinegar.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your hair not smelling like shampoo-- mine never does either. Most often peoples hair smells like "shampoo" because they use other products in it like a leave in conditioner or mousse or spray. Sometimes I'll put lavender oil on the ends of my hair to help it smell better for longer.

cranberrymoonz
January 3rd, 2014, 08:26 AM
My hair only smells like shampoo for half a day. Then it smells of nothing for another day, and then the greasy smell starts. I think hair that smells like shampoo is only for people who wash their hair every day. I don't mind the smell too much though. It is not that strong (mine at least) and is easily masked with something fragranced dry shampoo or essential oils. I don't recommend perfumes because of the alcohol content (though it does work). I make my own fragranced hair oils. I'ts fairly simple; just add a few drops of essential oil to a base oil or base oil blend. Use sparingly on the ends only:)

I wouldn't know how to prevent/cure oily smell though. I guess it's just natural. I sounds silly but you could try to wash your hair more often to prevent it becoming greasy in the first place. Do use a very mild (betaine or sugar based) shampoo or a washing CO to prevent drying out your hair.

oatmealpie
January 3rd, 2014, 09:34 AM
I agree that dry shampoo can help cover up the smell, but diet change is probably the best way to address the cause.

spidermom
January 3rd, 2014, 10:03 AM
An unpleasant smell is a good reason to wash the hair/scalp/behind the ears.

HintOfMint
January 3rd, 2014, 11:23 AM
If you go the dry shampoo route and you have dark hair, cocoa powder is a pretty good option and your scalp will smell like chocolate!

uptosomeone
January 3rd, 2014, 11:35 AM
I wash my hair every morning because it's short and sleeping on it makes it nearly impossibly to style how I'd like it, so the oil is never 'old' oil. As for my diet, I eat clean (relatively speaking, I'm not perfect) because I have a sensitive stomach...not sure how much healthier I can eat unless I completely cut out sugars, which I'm hesitant to do :) so it looks like dry shampoo or a homemade scented spray is what I might have to try next. Will try a vinegar rinse today too just because.

sumidha
January 3rd, 2014, 12:40 PM
If you're washing your hair every morning I kind of doubt you need more cleansing, I think the scented spray option or a very diluted vinegar rinse would be a good starting point. :)

uptosomeone
January 3rd, 2014, 02:51 PM
If you're washing your hair every morning I kind of doubt you need more cleansing, I think the scented spray option or a very diluted vinegar rinse would be a good starting point. :)
My thoughts exactly. It doesn't look oily in the evenings, so I feel like washing it then would just trigger it to produce more oil, which is something I certainly do not need!

Did an acv rinse, diluted, in the shower today. Apparently immediately after it smelled only faintly of vinegar and of nothing else. Will see what happens come evening :)

spidermom
January 3rd, 2014, 02:57 PM
That vinegar smell always lingered in my hair, also made it wildly fly-away.

swearnsue
January 3rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
Maybe a spray of rosewater now and then? It's also good for your face in dry winter air.