PDA

View Full Version : Hairspray question

diddiedaisy
January 3rd, 2014, 06:16 AM
Why exactly does hairspray damage the hair?

ive just started growing but having fine hair I do use hairspray most days.

Should I give it up?

thanks

Rio040113
January 3rd, 2014, 07:01 AM
As far as I know, it tends to be drying, can cause build up and can mean mechanical damage if it's brushed out or washed out harshly. Plus, for some people hairspray goes hand in hand with other damaging things, such as teasing/back combing and/or heat styling. :)

askan
January 3rd, 2014, 07:30 AM
Agree with Rio040113. The hairspray sort of glues hairs together and when brushed/combed out it's easy to damage the cuticles. Also high content of alcohol. Maybe there are less damaging options when it comes to brands, I'm not sure! I still use it sometimes but wash out instead of brush out.

ravenreed
January 3rd, 2014, 07:54 AM
I use hairspray occasionally without a problem. When I do, I use a light hold and make sure not to brush or comb it until I have washed the hairspray out. However, if your goal is to grow as fast as possible, you might want to give it up.

Madora
January 3rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Hairspray will also attract every particle in the universe to your hair.

DweamGoiL
January 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM
I use hairspray almost every day. I also have fine hair and if I don't use it, some hairs will float in places I may not particularly like. I use a non-alchoholic spray made by Honeybee Gardens:

http://www.honeybeegardens.com/product/hair-body/hsprayherb.html

I spray it lightly because unlike regular hairspray, it does not dry instantly. It takes a few minutes to dry, but the light hold lasts until the evening for me. I usually finger comb throughout the day anyways so I smooth the hair before detangling in the evening. For me, I can't live without this product. I have tried Aloe Vera gel and it just weighs my hair down and in the summer when it's really humid, it does not help my natural wavy hair frizz.

Recently, they have changed the packaging so you can find sellers on Amazon selling a few bottles with the old packaging for dirt cheap. I recently just stocked up myself.

Lyv
January 3rd, 2014, 12:36 PM
I've never had any problems using hair spray but I only use it occasionally and I don't brush it out or use heat.

diddiedaisy
January 3rd, 2014, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll try changing hairspray rather than give it up lol

bunnylake
January 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM
I've been curious about Aveda's hairspray. Witch Hazel and Air Control are both for a light hold... anyone use them? Do they contain any damaging ingredients?

HintOfMint
January 3rd, 2014, 03:01 PM
I use hairspray almost every day. I also have fine hair and if I don't use it, some hairs will float in places I may not particularly like. I use a non-alchoholic spray made by Honeybee Gardens:

I spray it lightly because unlike regular hairspray, it does not dry instantly. It takes a few minutes to dry, but the light hold lasts until the evening for me. I usually finger comb throughout the day anyways so I smooth the hair before detangling in the evening. For me, I can't live without this product. I have tried Aloe Vera gel and it just weighs my hair down and in the summer when it's really humid, it does not help my natural wavy hair frizz.

Recently, they have changed the packaging so you can find sellers on Amazon selling a few bottles with the old packaging for dirt cheap. I recently just stocked up myself.

This is a miraculous discovery, thank you! I haven't used hairspray in god knows how long and I really miss it for some updos I used to do. I gave up after hunting high and low for an alcohol-free one, but this seems to be just the ticket.

DweamGoiL
January 3rd, 2014, 07:16 PM
This is a miraculous discovery, thank you! I haven't used hairspray in god knows how long and I really miss it for some updos I used to do. I gave up after hunting high and low for an alcohol-free one, but this seems to be just the ticket.

Let me know how it works out for you. I LOVE this stuff!

lapushka
January 4th, 2014, 07:06 AM
This is what hairspray can do to your hair... if not careful!
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-spray-accumulation.php

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2014, 07:13 AM
I'm another one who used to use hair spray. It will attract lint and dust I did find that out. It also dries the scalp out too and build up on the hair.

DweamGoiL
January 4th, 2014, 07:45 AM
This is what hairspray can do to your hair... if not careful!
http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-spray-accumulation.php

http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-spray-accumulation.php[/QUOTE]

Lapushka,

I know you meant well, but I also think that this information without mentioning the specific ingredients in the actual hairspray product that was used in this particular and isolated case, and without mentioning the specific amounts of use (it does state the ONE woman applied the product "frequently" and "generously", which is, at best, vague.), and also not delving into how the woman handled her hair in between washes, results in citing this information as inflammatory. Not all sprays are created equally and not all sprays have the same amount of hold or the same ingredients. Surely, we can all agree that stating that all shampoo despite brand and/or ingredients, and not taking into account how often the product is used, "may" cause the same amount of damage, is a falsehood. I can do a quick Google search and find all kinds of evidence to support this erroneous statement from all sides of the fence in a heartbeat. This is of the same ilk.

I suppose the lesson learned in this ONE example would be if you are going to use hairspray "often and generously", wash your hair more often than once a week in order to prevent potential cuticle damage from buildup. This means the real culprit here is buildup, which results from so many other haircare products we strongly support around here. Then, it's just a matter of degrees of usage and how often you remove the buildup.

lapushka
January 4th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I suppose the lesson learned in this ONE example would be if you are going to use hairspray "often and generously", wash your hair more often than once a week in order to prevent potential cuticle damage from buildup. This means the real culprit here is buildup, which results from so many other haircare products we strongly support around here. Then, it's just a matter of degrees of usage and how often you remove the buildup.

Nevertheless, that it's bad for your hair is well-known around here, and that that "case" can happen is a definite possibility.

DweamGoiL
January 4th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Nevertheless, that it's bad for your hair is well-known around here, and that that "case" can happen is a definite possibility.

The point I was making is that it's a generalization if it's only based on ONE case. Hairspray being "bad" is based on what ingredients (drying agents contained within) and amount of hold (not all are created equal in this regard, which pretty much eliminates this variable if the hold is light enough). So, no, the generalization that all hairspray is bad does not hold water. What is bad is the use of drying and coating agents on hair, and the fact is that most commercial hairsprays will usually contain these, but not all. As far as possibilities, of course, anything "can" happen, but that is why when they conduct a scientific study, they will use more than ONE case to prove the likelihood is much more common than "can" happen as opposed to "will most likely" or "will" happen.

For example, oiling hair is highly recommended for sun protection, but what happens when you place oil and heat together? So, in turn, hair can be fried in the sun. That "can" happen, but it usually does not. Why? The likelihood is very small since most people exercise common sense as far as sun exposure being damaging to begin with, and even if it happens to ONE person, it does not mean, it will happen to all or to even a large group. User error can account for ONE occurrence, but if the numbers of occurrences consistently swell, then it is a likely possibility.

Now, please don't take this as a personal attack. I just cannot blindly accept generalizations which are not based on actual factual information.

Snorman
January 18th, 2014, 04:38 AM
I have a question about this...
I'm currently in a musical, and my hair gets treated quite badly..
First there's curling, then there's spraying, after that comes teasing, then comes brushing out the curls and the teasing, then spray it with LOADS of hairspray to get it to stay... My hair really suffers and I don't really know what to do about it... I try to use a good shampoo and conditioner, use oil treatments and everything, and I think it's working alright, but I wonder if there's anything else to do? If there's some kind of "nice" hairspray? Or some nicer way to tease? Is heat protectant really working? I try to use argan oil instead, cause I heard that it's heat protectant by it self, but how do I know if it's working?

And also, I'm new here, and I just gotta say.. I LOVE all the info I'm getting! Maybe my hair will finally reach waist length now!

DweamGoiL
January 18th, 2014, 07:02 AM
I have a question about this...
I'm currently in a musical, and my hair gets treated quite badly..
First there's curling, then there's spraying, after that comes teasing, then comes brushing out the curls and the teasing, then spray it with LOADS of hairspray to get it to stay... My hair really suffers and I don't really know what to do about it... I try to use a good shampoo and conditioner, use oil treatments and everything, and I think it's working alright, but I wonder if there's anything else to do? If there's some kind of "nice" hairspray? Or some nicer way to tease? Is heat protectant really working? I try to use argan oil instead, cause I heard that it's heat protectant by it self, but how do I know if it's working?

And also, I'm new here, and I just gotta say.. I LOVE all the info I'm getting! Maybe my hair will finally reach waist length now!

The hair friendliest spray I have found is the one I mentioned previously in the thread:

But, it is not like conventional hairspray and does not dry instantly. The hold is good, but it's not super strong and besides the fact that it needs drying time and comes in a pump so it's more like a spritz rather than an aerosol type of dispenser, I am not sure how it will hold up against stage lights and such. It's really intended for average home use, not for theater. Can you try speaking to the stylist and discuss your hair goals and see if there is a way to achieve the same look without the teasing and less heat and manipulation? Maybe wearing a wig instead so your own hair won't take so much damage? You will need to approach this as diplomatically as possible because most hairdressers truly believe that their method of haircare is optimal care. This is what they are taught in school, and they see immediate results each time they style clients so these notions are further reinforced. Problem is that if you are trying to grow long, these techniques will trash your hair over a fairly short time, and if you are not constantly cutting off the damage, therein comes the problem.

You will also want to clarify often to remove the residue left by all the product they are putting in your hair and it probably is not a bad idea to deep condition 2-3 times per month or maybe even more often depending on your hair type. You will also want to pay attention to deep conditioners that contain protein and maybe another for moisture so you can alternate depending on your particular needs at the time. During your down time, treat your hair as gently as possible. I am not sure about heat protectants. I don't use them, but some here swear by them, so maybe starting another thread to get recommendations on that or conducting a search for past reviews is a good way to start. IMO, that is really all you can do.

ellenajordans
January 18th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I think it can dry out the hair, and also it can cause build up which means you have to wash your hair more which also causes dryness. It's fine now and again though.

Agnes Hannah
January 18th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I used to use hairspray quite a lot before joining LHC, but when I started putting my hair up, I didn't feel the need to use it anymore, so the can is left on the bathroom window getting covered in dust and cobwebs!

cathair
January 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Whoops wrong thread. Too many tabs open sorry.