PDA

View Full Version : how long did it take...

carolineb
September 9th, 2008, 05:33 AM
...for you to reach the length you are at the moment?
i hope there is not a thread like this that i have missed...

it took five years for my right under the ears hair to grow to waist...

Little_Bird
September 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Hello there! For me it took about 4 years to grow from a pixie cut to a solid waist lenght. I'm rather past it but I'm not telling yet :p

Everyone takes it's time, and it also depends on the trimming. I think that as long as you get to where you want, it's ok :)

paper
September 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I went from chin to shoulder in 1 yr. That was with trims.

SHELIAANN1969
September 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Hello carolineb and welcome to the wonderful world of TLHC! :)

I had a pixie for years, and decided to start growing it out in 2000, BUT, I kept trimming away, so the growth was rather slow.

In 2004, I stopped cutting as much and it was finally at my collarbone, and in May 2007 was when I had my last trim and it was at bra strap length, I just trimmed/ dusted August 2008 and you see by my signature pic where my hair is now.

So, I had the most growth, when I left it alone, I am hoping it will grow as much in the coming year, this is THE longest my hair has ever been in my life.

I realize NOW, that when I left it alone and didn't obsess (too much haha) it grew the best.

Welcome and happy growing. :)

lora410
September 9th, 2008, 06:37 AM
So far from shoulder it has taken 1yr and 5 months to reach the length I am at now ( about 1" below bra strap). That was with about 1.5 inches trimmed off

Islandgrrl
September 9th, 2008, 06:39 AM
It took me just about 8 years to go from pixie to knee last time. This time it's taken 3 1/2 years to go from pixie to BSL. With trimming.

Speedbump
September 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I've gone from barely BSL to tailbone in four years, with plenty of trims to get off terrible damage I did with my haircare ignorance of the past. Not too shabby, actually. :cool:

Phalaenopsis
September 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM
1 year from shoulder length to almost bra strap length, with trims. I'm feeling kind of slow :?

Stagecoach
September 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM
It's taken me 7 years from about 3-4" below shoulders to get to 3" below classic. And that was with lots of trims along the way! For all except two of those years, I trimmed at least every 4 months.

girlcat36
September 9th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Great idea for a thread!

spidermom
September 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
3 years from APL to hip+ (almost tailbone) with regular trims (about every 3 months).

Periwinkle
September 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Quite honestly, I have absolutely no idea.

I know that in July '06, I had my hair cut to just touching my shoulders, with shaping and layers. However, I have pictures of my hair in April '07 and it's only a bit longer than that, so I must have had a chop in between. I also know that the layering and shaping I now have is more severe than in July '06, and I think I had my hair shaped when it was pretty long (longer than my shoulders, at least), so I'm guessing I had it shaped sometime after April '07?

I know that at some point last year, I decided not to whack to shoulder length as normal when my hair started getting to about APL, and that was probably when I had it shaped. I remember going to the hairdresser's just after I joined and having the layers and things tidied up, and then we're into LHC-time and when I joined my hair was about 1" shy of BSL.

I went to measure my hair when I joined LHC, thinking that it was just below my shoulders, and found that it was almost BSL. That shows you just how observant I was before joining: I always tied it back and never even looked at it, so mentally it just stayed at my last chop. Consequently, I have no idea how long my hair has been for most of my life, and since I'm camera shy, I don't have many pictures. It's always been between my jaw and a bit above BSL until I joined LHC, but that's all I know.

Nes
September 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM
It took me 7 years to get from chin length to the wasteland between waist and tailbone.

It took such a long time becuase for the first 6 and half years I was flat ironing and generally being ignorant about hair care! Hoepfully it will start growing again now i'm being nice to it!

Nes x

ChatoyantLocks
September 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
15 years to get from around shoulder length to Bermuda shorts length (a few inches above the knee), with no trims.

chrissy-b
September 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I've gone from chin length to a few inches shy of APL in 8 months, so I've grown about six inches in that time. I expect, at this rate, to get to hip length in about two more years (if I keep this rate of growth).

DarkChocolate
September 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM
It took me about two years to get from shoulder length to mid-back.
That included one trim of this little tail that was growing:) You can see the result of the trim in my photo album:)

DragonLady
September 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I don't want to admit how many years I've been growing to get to my length. :(

But I'm bubbling with joy with the fact that since I found this place I've grown nearly two inches!

SweetPea88
September 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
It has taken me about 7-8 months to get from bsl to waist, and that includes about 3.5" of trims.

thankyousir74
September 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I went from around a shortish pixie to longest layer a bit past shoulder, shortest, midway down my neck, (where I'm at now) in a year (and one month)

with trims >_<

Meli
September 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
My hair was APL when I was 14, and two years later I reached waist, with trims along the way. However, I may have had some stalling or slowing down at waist, because another two years later, when I was 18, I was still just a little past waist. I did have some trim too, but I really didn't gain as much length as in the previous two years. Anyway, then my hair started to grow again and I reached tailbone somewhere around the age 19-20. This is when I approached a (most likely artificial) terminal length - I was able to push it a little further over the next couple of years, but that was it. My hair was at it's longest when I was 22, and when I had not got any more growth for four years (including a year without trims) I started to trim a lot more than before, because my ends were so crappy. Over the following two years I managed to whack it off all the way back to waist... And that's when I found LHC and realized I had terrible amounts of breakage. I'm not sure, but it seems likely that my hair was "self-trimming" and not really terminal. I just wish I had found this site before I cut so much :( Oh well, hair grows... And it'll be interesting to see if I can get it longer than before.

FB
September 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
It has taken me two and a half years to go from shoulder length to somewhere past BSL and on my way to waist. It is a long and patient process.

anna1850
September 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
It's taken me a year and 9 months to go from halfway between shoulder and APL to halfway between waist and hip. I've haven't had any trims at all (except S&D).

January 2007: Just above APL
August 2007: BSL
June 2008: Waist
Now: Waist + about 2"

It's interesting reading this thread because I'm actually very surprised how long it takes some people to grow their hair. I suppose it's mostly down to trimming. I'm glad I don't have to trim, I'm impatient enough as it is! I anticipate being TB next summer and classic the summer after that.

Arctic_Mama
September 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
With a significant trim it's taken me four months to go from right below chin length to below my shoulders... my hair grows pretty fast, I think.

Cinnamon.locks
September 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
For me, when i had it to TBL, it took about 6 years, it grew from shoulders to TBL with several trims every three months.

Right now i have hair almost to my waist (just a couple of inches more before reaching waist.) I started again with APL hair and in 1 1/2 years it has grown to almost waist. but of course i have basically been no-trimming, just trimmed twice in the last 1 1/2 years. so it depends on how you care for the hair, if you trim often or not and on how much it grows per month, does it stall or does it grow all the year?

truepeacenik
September 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
All my life, with many silly deciscions along the way.
Actual, paying attention time, I was midback in 95, cut back to it in 98 and 02.
I think I'v e only had one cut since in 04. with even up trims (one-two a year)

Slug Yoga
September 13th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Pixieish length to BSL in 2 years. I think I had one haircut in there, to even things up.

Siava
September 13th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Almost 3 years for <1" to APL. I'm sure my hair would've been much longer by now, but I wasn't being very nice to it for a majority of the time, and trimmed often during the awkward grow-out stage. A considerable amount of healthy growth has been going on since I started taking advice from these helpful people.

Carina
September 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM
It took me two years to go from shoulder to bsl.Right now I'm not even apl.I got rid of 10 inches of damage a few weeks ago.

ChatoyantLocks
September 13th, 2008, 05:25 AM
It's interesting reading this thread because I'm actually very surprised how long it takes some people to grow their hair. I suppose it's mostly down to trimming. I'm glad I don't have to trim, I'm impatient enough as it is! I anticipate being TB next summer and classic the summer after that.

It's not all due to trimming though, since I don't trim. My hair just grows really slowly. I think there is a lot of variation in hair growth rates between different people.

Gecko
September 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM
It's been three years since I cut my hair short and have been growing it since then. I reached the length I was two years ago at least twice, so I'm a year longer than I've ever been!

bunnii
September 13th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I went from shoulder to waist in about 2 years I think, well i'm just at the top of waist being that my torso is soooo long :D

Finoriel
September 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I went from a 1 inch razor cut to fingertip length in about 7 3/4 years, with lots of trims. Time flies :wink: and hair grows.

Gladtobemom
September 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
It took me 4 years to grow all the dye out down to waist length.

I trimmed every few months, the breakage was pretty bad in the dyed part, so it's getting thicker all the time.

enitsirk
September 13th, 2008, 09:43 AM
5 years to get from about an inch below shoulder to fingertip length. Some minimal trimming in there, I'm sure.

So I have pretty much average hair growth of ~6 inches per year.

Xanthippe
September 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I went from barely BSL to my current length of past hip in about two and a half years. I had two big trims in there of almost three inches each, so I lost a year of growth. If I were to do it again, I would do smaller trims at more regular intervals rather than big trims.

Buddaphlyy
September 13th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It's taken over 2 years to still be above shoulder length from bald. I've had a big haircut (cut about 3 inches) and several trims in that time period though.

Xi
September 13th, 2008, 11:59 AM
My hair is slower-growing than ChatoyantLocks'; it's taken about 17 years to go from ear length to about TB. There probably were trims in the earlier years (I can't remember), but I certainly haven't trimmed in at least 10 years. (Disclaimer: I didn't really pay attention to hair progress before finding the LHC, so I may just have been sitting at terminal length for some of that time.) Perhaps my hair just wants to teach me patience.:meditate:

saoriiroas
September 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
It has taken me 5 years to go from a very short pixi cut with long bangs (I had a blue bob before and I cut off all the bleach except for my bangs, which I dyed every color of the rainbow) to a solid waist length. My first 2 years I kept getting layers put in, and I have evened those out. I was also cutting off a lot of damage. I still consider the last 6 inches of my hair to be a bit damaged, but that wont get cut off for a while now. I have never had long hair before in my life, and I have been lurking on the long hair sites for about 4 years now. I wonder what that had to do with it...... :)

Slug Yoga
September 14th, 2008, 10:13 AM
It's not all due to trimming though, since I don't trim. My hair just grows really slowly. I think there is a lot of variation in hair growth rates between different people.

Yeah, it's interesting to see that, from this thread.

Going OT a little, but since everyone likes a compliment (right?)... I just adore your hair. I am in awe every time I see your avatar and signature. ;) Slow-growing, but awesome!

ChatoyantLocks
September 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Going OT a little, but since everyone likes a compliment (right?)... I just adore your hair. I am in awe every time I see your avatar and signature. ;) Slow-growing, but awesome!

Thank you! :)

danacc
September 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Around 4 years to go from chin-length to waist-length. There were trims in there, but I don't remember how often. I've been maintaining between waist and hip for a l-o-n-g t-i-m-e (years and years and years).

Juneii
September 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
hmm, I don't measure my hair exactly but I had about APL to BSL length hair in my freshman year in high school (so about 2005-2006) and grew it to about waist by summer last year (2007-2008), but that doesn't count for all the months where I kept my hair at BSL :]

CaityBear
September 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Umm, from chin length to natural waist...it took me two years? Plus or minus a couple months.

LadyLongLocks
September 18th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I maintained at about 36" for many years so I will start from that point.

In Jan of 2005 I decided to grow from 36" to 56"( knee length )
:) I am currently at 52.5.
I have gained 16.5 "HEALTHY" inches in the last 45 months.
(trimmed at least 10" in this time which=26.5" of actual growth)

Medvssa
September 18th, 2008, 11:24 AM
It's taken me 7 years from bald to BSL or so (dry) where I am now, as you see, this journey wasn't at all uneventful :rolleyes:

Now, this was a depressing realization :lol:

jojo
September 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM
33 months for me to grow pixie to BSL, hoping to be at waist by next September

atlantaz3
September 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I'm at a five years and giving my hair (or trying to!) two more years to hit waist or terminal. However looking at layered hair cuts isn't helping the process. However that includes a drastic chop to get rid of bleach fried blonde and several cut to even out layers to get to one length.

Jemoiselle
September 18th, 2008, 09:03 PM
From Chin Length to Tailbone took me about 4 years, and for the last two years, I have gotten what my stylist calls a "spiral cut" every 4 weeks. Sorry if someone out there calls it something different! My stylist sections my hair into what seems like a million sections, hehe, and then gently twists each small section into a rope, which she then gets close up to, trimming any splits or thinning areas as she allows the length to unroll, from ends all the way up as far as needed. It has made THE difference in my growth rate! My hair grows like a weed if I keep to my 4 week schedule religiously...

yogachic
September 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
1 year, to grow from 2 inches below shoulder to BSL.

Paliele
September 18th, 2008, 09:32 PM
It's been 6 months since my last cut (pixie, don't know what I was thinking, it was BSL before) and now my hair is the same length as my hand. Sorry, no ruler at the moment.

Starr
September 19th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I grew from bsl to tailbone, chopped 4 inches and now I'm slightly past tailbone- all in 3 1/2 years.

EvaSimone
September 19th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I went from I believe a bit longer than apl but shorter than BSL to waist length in one year with no trimming.