PDA

View Full Version : worried about damage from wearing the same type of style daily

bekahleigh
January 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
I barely ever wear my hair down. As in one every month if that, usually for special occasions or if I know i'm going to get my picture taken. I prefer to have it up, and usually in a style centered at the crown of my head. Buns, ponytails, twists. But always basically in the same spot. Could this cause damage? I switched my nighttime style to double pigtails to give my crown some relief, but I know theres more I could do.

Is wearing my hair up in the same place damaging?

ExpectoPatronum
January 2nd, 2014, 12:04 PM
If you're using hair ties, there will probably be a little breakage where you're using them. The damage shouldn't be too bad, especially if you're not wrapping it around your pony tail too tight.

You could try using hair sticks and clips for buns in too. To my knowledge, hair sticks aren't damaging.

Your hair probably isn't too damaged from doing that if you haven't noticed anything.

bekahleigh
January 2nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
I use hairsticks occasionally, only started that recently. Today I have a bun held in with just pins. I usually use hair tyes with no metal on them and try not to go too tight.

Johannah
January 2nd, 2014, 12:26 PM
If you put pressure at the same spot over en over, yes it can cause breakage. Personally, I'd try to wear your hair in a low bun or ponytail sometimes, or in a braid maybe. :o

bekahleigh
January 2nd, 2014, 12:33 PM
I just get really irritated with low ponys and braids. I need to teach myself to be more comfortable with them I guess lol I just worry about causing damage and messing up the growth progress I'm making.

Johannah
January 2nd, 2014, 12:37 PM
And low buns? I like to wear the lazy wrap bun and nautilus low.

bekahleigh
January 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM
The lowest buns I manage to wear for any length of time is about mid height, middle of my head. I can try a low bun and see, i'm sure it wouldn't be so bad if I just try it for a day or two to try and break my low hairstyle hate lol

Chiquita Banana
January 2nd, 2014, 12:59 PM
I try to wear my buns at different levels for that very reason. I hardly ever wear my hair down, but I do wear it in braids a few times each week. I haven't noticed any damage thus far - in fact wearing it up or braided has helped prevent breakage and it has grown a lot in the past year. I really don't think it would have grown so much otherwise.

bekahleigh
January 2nd, 2014, 01:43 PM
I'm going to try wearing my buns at different levels more often. And find some braided styles that will work with my layers. Oh how I can't wait for them to grow out.

HintOfMint
January 2nd, 2014, 04:45 PM
I would be more concerned if there's tightness and pulling at the same point, repeatedly. Traction alopecia would be a concern. Hairsticks and forks can still be damaging in this respect if it's pulling your hair in one spot in order to secure a bun.

WoolSweater
January 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
If you are fond of updos with hair ties, have you looked at the wider, stretchy kind? These are wonderful and cause no breakage.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/119991431/16-elastic-hair-ties-rainbow?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=accessories_low&gclid=COyK1anY4LsCFahj7AodqmIA-g

swearnsue
January 2nd, 2014, 06:18 PM
I agree that placing the bun in different places would be a good idea. Even if you don't feel it pulling, it is a little bit.

You could change the anchor point and change the type of pins, Flexi-8, hair sticks, hair ties etc.

French braiding would distribute the weight in a completely different way also.

TiffanieJean
January 2nd, 2014, 06:53 PM
If you don’t notice any damage after a few months of doing what you do it’s probably not a big issue for your hair. My hair is very weak so I can’t wear it up very often for it breaks off at the ponytail or where the fist twist in a bun would start.

LauraLongLocks
January 2nd, 2014, 07:19 PM
I try to vary placement of my bun. I also vary between braided styles, buns, and styles that begin with a ponytail holder. I also switch which hair toy I am using to secure my hair. So far, the only breakage I have had is a freak chance moment when I had my hair down (it was air-drying) and I got it caught in a fly tape. I lost a bunch of hair, and broke a lot of it, just trying to get the fly tape out of my hair. So, in my case, it's a lot more risky to have my hair down than it is to have it up. I have since abandoned air-drying, too, so I can get it up and out of danger faster. My blow dryer on low is my friend.

bekahleigh
January 2nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
I would be more concerned if there's tightness and pulling at the same point, repeatedly. Traction alopecia would be a concern. Hairsticks and forks can still be damaging in this respect if it's pulling your hair in one spot in order to secure a bun.

I try to vary placement of my bun. I also vary between braided styles, buns, and styles that begin with a ponytail holder. I also switch which hair toy I am using to secure my hair. So far, the only breakage I have had is a freak chance moment when I had my hair down (it was air-drying) and I got it caught in a fly tape. I lost a bunch of hair, and broke a lot of it, just trying to get the fly tape out of my hair. So, in my case, it's a lot more risky to have my hair down than it is to have it up. I have since abandoned air-drying, too, so I can get it up and out of danger faster. My blow dryer on low is my friend.

I don't own a hair dryer because I used to use the wet2straight straightener (I know now how horrid that is) so I never needed it. Now I air dry but I have to be careful to remain upright and away from anything. It can catch on our headboard, I accidently lean on it or my bf does, and my worst enemy is the towel rack in our bathroom, it snags my hair SO easy and rips it right out. Painful.

I may look at getting some of those newer, wider headband material type hairties to try out. I have a TON of regular non metal ones and they do pretty good at not tearing hair now that i've stopped pulling my hair up into a sloppy mess lol

I also have almost no hair toys. One big clip, and some teeny tiny wood sticks, other than that it's bobby pins and hair ties. I need to get some but I don't work and I feel bad when my bf spends his money on hair stuff for me.