PDA

View Full Version : Have you changed your wardrobe to cater to your hair?

serin blackwood
January 2nd, 2014, 11:15 AM
In the last two years, since I've started taking better care of my hair, I've been noticing how un-hairfriendly most of my favorite clothes are ... hoodies, fleecey things, scarves, high collars, hoodies (did I mention that ... (: I seem to have a lot of shirts with hoods!)

I like to wear my hair down and in braids that are down, and am getting more and more paranoid about the ends rubbing on fabric. At this point, anything new I get is some kind of smooth or silky fabric, collarless, zipper and velcro-less, and hood-less ... sigh. Silky pillowcases, of course, and lined hats.

Sweaters, jackets and outerwear are a challenge, I've been going for spandex-ish type yoga wear jackets but they all have zippers. If I had the money I would re-design a whole custom made long hair friendly wardrobe!

Anybody else fuss over this issue? Any good ideas?

donnalouise
January 2nd, 2014, 11:24 AM
I started wearing a lot more white clothes when previously i only ever wore black - for the sole purpose of showing off my hair which is very dark brown / almost black. Bright white tops really make my dark hair "pop" out and look great. Red is also great for that (for me). Haven't paid much attention to the actual material though, but now i'm thinking i should - lots of white silk i think!

sarahthegemini
January 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Nope. I love taking care of my hair, but not to the extent of limiting what fabrics I wear.

sumidha
January 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
I don't really worry about my hair rubbing against fabric; I more often find myself having to limit my jewelry because of hair un-friendliness than my clothing. That being said, I pretty much never wear shirts or jackets with hoods, because 90% of the time it wont fit my bun comfortably.

sharonluvscats
January 2nd, 2014, 11:37 AM
I wear a lot of braids. I try to avoid anything with velcro like the plague. My bf got me a new winter coat for Christmas and we had to cut velcro off the front because my braid kept getting stuck on it. I also have to be careful when zipping up. Aside from this, I don't have any issues with clothing.

Sharysa
January 2nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Nope. At least not in terms of actual FABRIC, since my hair is coarse and really tough. And really, as much as I like my hair, I don't think I'd ever let it dictate the fabrics I use.

I have made a tend towards lighter or contrasting colors for whenever I want my hair down, though.

neko_kawaii
January 2nd, 2014, 12:17 PM
Nope, I almost always wear my hair up so those things are not a problem for my hair.

Anje
January 2nd, 2014, 01:19 PM
Not really, though I'm watchful of my braid around zippers. I have banished a chenille top or two because of the amazing amount of lint they left in my hair. (They surpassed my cats in a single wearing!)

ExpectoPatronum
January 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
I haven't changed my wardrobe since like...high school. Jeans and tee shirts for me! Even if tees aren't the most hair friendly. Hair aside, I would like to start dressing more my age though.

ositarosita
January 2nd, 2014, 01:50 PM
I'm very fabric oriented lol I only like to wear soft things that my hair can't get caught in ... I've even stopped wearing sunglasses for that purpose (my hair would always get stuck and I would lose a good 10 strands). I don't worry about my hoodies because my hair is always up anyway

jel
January 2nd, 2014, 02:26 PM
I haven't changed my wardrobe, but this winter I feel I should! My hair has been catching, tangling and breaking on zips, hoods, buttons and whatnot more than ever before - and I wear buns most of the time. I even started thinking about wearing some sort of silk scarf bun and nape wrap/covering... Unfortunately, I have no skills with that sort of thing.

AspenSong
January 2nd, 2014, 03:17 PM
I haven't changed anything, but I watch what is on certain shirts and such and make sure my hair isn't down to get in them. I have a shirt I love that has zipper edged ruffles on the front around the neck and I stupidly wore my hair down with it once and it was chaos, my hair was being consumed by the shirt. haha. So that's just one I wear my hair up with no matter what. I have a couple shirts I've cut the tags out of because they snag my nape hairs...but nothing major.

LauraLongLocks
January 2nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
I stopped wearing bulky turtleneck sweaters because of the rubbing of my hair, and also because they are obnoxious for breastfeeding... so much fabric to contend with. When I wear a wool coat, I wrap my hair in a scarf first so it won't rub.

shutterpillar
January 2nd, 2014, 03:35 PM
If there is an item of clothing or jewelery that my hair might get caught on, then I'll just put my hair up.

However, I will say that I am about to get a new jacket that has buttons instead of zippers because zippers and hair are completely incompatible. I do have to take extra precautions when I want to wear my hair down over a zippered jacket.

excentricat
January 2nd, 2014, 03:58 PM
If your hair is long enough, braids with hoodies are protective. Just put the braid in the hood and it is no longer enough to swing around and get caught on things, and since it's contained, it does less rubbing.

HintOfMint
January 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM
Yes, in the sense of my style, not necessarily the fabrics I wear. As my hair has grown longer, I've toyed with a more androgynous style (English countryside, lots of tweed blazers), and now with my hair even longer, I'm experimenting with more rugged and casual clothing (army green utility jackets, flat boots, unisex tee shirts). I guess the idea is that with very long and feminine hair, I can get away with more masculine styles.
I still love the Audrey Hepburn Roman Holiday look (button down shirt, full midi skirt), but lately I've been feeling more comfortable in jeans and a blazer. I guess I don't feel that expressing femininity is compulsory anymore since my hair does the heavy lifting.

Something I avoid entirely now with long hair is sexy clothing. I used to not hesitate to wear something va-va-voom, but now my clothing style is significantly pared back. For one event, I broke character and wore a red satin, short, strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline. I looked good, but I felt extremely uncomfortable all night. Like I was on display. One of my male friends couldn't even speak to me, he just stared.
I just went through my closet for clothing I never wear anymore and I came across an armful of slinky little black dresses. They went straight into the "donate" pile. I have fond memories of my backless little black dress that I wore to my boyfriend's formal in college. I had a sleek little bob and that dress worked. However, I couldn't imagine wearing something like that today.
Of course, this may have more to do with getting older, but I don't think I'm necessarily dressing in a more "grown up" style. Actually, I think I'm dressing more teenagerish than I ever have. I just don't feel as comfortable showing skin, at least when my hair is down.

Chromis
January 2nd, 2014, 04:26 PM
Nope. Never.

I wear my hair up most of the time and even when it was shorter I disliked hoodies. I don't even care for hoods on jackets much unless it is very cold (and then I'm already wearing a wool hat anyhow for warmth!)

RedRooster
January 2nd, 2014, 04:40 PM
I've started to wear more colors instead of mostly black, but it's because I like the way certain colors complement my bright, hennaed hair.

serin blackwood
January 2nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
I guess my situation is mostly that:
a) my hair breaks easily and I am hyper focused on reducing mechanical damage,
b) I have no style to speak of (lol). I wear black tank tops with black sweaters or hoodies, and a black jacket over all when it's cold. Literally.

So, you'd think it would be simple, no? Even my cotton tanks seem to be snaggy on my fine ends that i am so carefully trying to protect. When I bun, the hoodies and collars of overwear always seems to create a tangle or roughness at my nape or bottom of the bun (I usually bun low in order to wear a hat for sun protection).

Oh to be so long that my ends don't touch my clothing anymore!

swearnsue
January 2nd, 2014, 05:55 PM
Just the other day it was so cold out I needed to wear my knit hat and wasn't sure if I should just pull it over the bun or not. I let my hair down, put my hat on and then tucked the hair up into the hat.

I think about what color I'm wearing more than I used to, looking for reddish-brown as part of the pattern to bring out the henna colors.

I've also tried to stay away from synthetic fibers in an effort to decrease static electricity. I think the desert in winter is the driest place on earth!

Even with my hair up I won't wear any scarves with sequins, they would be like little hair scissors!

turquoisedays
January 2nd, 2014, 05:59 PM
Somewhat. I wear a lot of black, brown, dark blues and purples because it contrasts with my hair and makes it stick out more.

restless
January 2nd, 2014, 08:42 PM
No I havent and nor will I ever. For all that I like and care for my hair I wont let it decide what (or what not) Im gonna wear. When I find something that looks pretty and suits me, I will buy it. I guess if IŽll ever manage to come across some sort of shirt or jacket that has a tendency to snag or damage my hair in any other way IŽll make sure to put my hair up before using it, but I wont refrain from wearing it.

arcane
January 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
No, my hair, even though from my shoulders down is still damaged from years of bleaching, is surprisingly strong-and the virgin is more coarse than I remember. I also don't wear a lot of rougher fabrics as I can't stand how they look/feel (and I'm allergic to wool). Even if my hair was more prone to damage I wouldn't let it dictate what I wore.

Yozhik
January 2nd, 2014, 09:33 PM
I don't really worry about my hair rubbing against fabric; I more often find myself having to limit my jewelry because of hair un-friendliness than my clothing. That being said, I pretty much never wear shirts or jackets with hoods, because 90% of the time it wont fit my bun comfortably.

This! I love really large earrings, but I can only wear them when my hair is up, otherwise they snag. Also, since growing longer hair, I have pretty much exclusively stopped wearing necklaces because of how they snap my nape hairs.

I haven't changed my wardrobe, but this winter I feel I should! My hair has been catching, tangling and breaking on zips, hoods, buttons and whatnot more than ever before - and I wear buns most of the time. I even started thinking about wearing some sort of silk scarf bun and nape wrap/covering... Unfortunately, I have no skills with that sort of thing.

PraiseCheeses (my wonderful LHC IRL friend) has this ingenious method of carrying around a small silk scarf she wraps around her neck and then folds over her collar - she says it's dramatically reduced nape tangles, so I think that is probably a good solution. :)

To address the OP: I used to avoid hoodies and zippered things when I was growing my hair out, but now in general I'm more laid back about the possibility of damage, since I'm not actively growing toward any specific goal and am more interested in wearing it down and having it in good health. The only fabric I avoid if my hair is down is wool, because I hate how it catches.

Wisé
January 2nd, 2014, 09:51 PM
Although I prefer to wear my hair open whenever they're looking good enough I haven't actually changed my closet, but I take more care when buying new stuff. I don't mind zippers or buttons because you only have to be careful while dressing and when doing-undoing them. But what I really have to take care of is the fabric of my coat, because I wear it every day and take it more often on and off. Two years ago I set my mind on having a floor length one, but couldn't find any that wasn't made of wool (or leather - a look I wasn't going for); and wool + dry winter air + frequent on & off + wind = matted poof ball.
It was only an issue with my coat as I never wear wool directly on my skin anyway, because it itches me like crazy. And of course I don't wear any winter cap made of wool so it's pretty hard for me to find any cap at all.

hypersensitive
January 3rd, 2014, 05:16 PM
I haven't changed my wardrobe to cater to my hair...yet! But I foresee purchasing a little white sundress for the summer to showcase my length!

makeminea99
January 3rd, 2014, 05:26 PM
Regarding jewellery, I only ever wear necklaces and big earrings when my hair's up. As for clothing, the main thing I avoid is velcro. The husband wanted to get me a new winter coat for Christmas (my old one made me look like Mrs Doyle from the TV show 'Father Ted', apparently!) so I told him, 'OK! But no velcro, for it is the nemesis of long hair.'

chen bao jun
January 3rd, 2014, 05:56 PM
I wear my hair up a lot. My hubby was in fact just complaining about how much its up and how much better it looks down (since I wore it down twice during the holidays and he saw it for the first time in like, ages).
When I do wear it down, I do the silk scarf thing around my neck for turtlenecks. I also wear a satin sleep cap an awful awful lot. Under hats, around the house if no one's there and sometimes if hubby is, to sleep with...
I have been considering wearing more silk in summer for my hair.
My hair is not all that fragile but I've got damaged ends I'm hanging on to that just shred when they touch anything. But I'm not ready to let go yet...

sourgrl
January 3rd, 2014, 09:31 PM
I'm considered adding some more 'color' to my wardrobe to accommodate more ficcare colors ;p

spidermom
January 3rd, 2014, 09:33 PM
I change my hair to cater to my clothes.

PixxieStix
January 3rd, 2014, 11:31 PM
I haven't changed my clothes, I've just noticed that the last few years I've had to put my shirts on BEFORE I put my hair up in a bun, otherwise trying to fight to get a shirt over my head with sticks or a fork is just a nightmare.

However, I am now probably going to pay closer attention to what colors I wear when my hair is down, lighter tops will really make the color pop, and lets face it, if I am wearing my hair down, it is to show it off most of the time. :)

Mayflower
January 4th, 2014, 05:35 AM
No. I don't like going overboard (or obsessive) about not damaging my hair. I wear it loose most of the time, it gets under the straps of my bag, it gets stuck in between a zipper now and then, it curls around the buttons of my coat sometimes. It's still healthy, thick and surpassing hip so I don't feel like I should be more careful. :shrug: But I understand fine hair needs more protection and attention.

kidari
January 4th, 2014, 05:48 AM
When I was fairly new to LHC and I was so overly enthusiastic about long hair care I became super paranoid about anything that would cause damage. I avoided wearing necklaces and long earrings among countless other things. However, now I don't really care as much as I used to. As far as materials go, I don't really care since my hair is up most of the time. However, the colors of the makeup I wear as well as the clothing has changed with my hair color.

embee
January 4th, 2014, 07:14 AM
My hair is up - only loose on wash days. Winter hats have had to change. Now I have made a collection of calorimetry style "hats" in many different colorways and they work great with my hairstick buns. A calorimetry and a hoodie will really keep my ears, head, and neck warm and the hairstick doesn't get caught on things.

http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mbbweb/longhair/Headbands01.jpg

My next rainjacket or windbreaker will avoid velcro, but that's more for my clothing than my hair. I'm *SO TIRED* of my warm wooly scarf getting snagged. :( I've had to develop a routine for tucking in all the scarf ends first so I can fasten the rainjacket. Gee whiz. (rolling eyes) Sometimes things get so complicated! I bought a new rainjacket for DD and one of the things she noted with pleasure was the absence of velcro. Her hair is at waist. :)

lapushka
January 4th, 2014, 08:20 AM
I change my hair to cater to my clothes.

I'm with spidermom. Why the heck would you go that far? If you're willing to go that far, then you are obsessing over your hair, if I may say so, and IMMHO.

Ambystoma
January 4th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I have one thing that has changed - I recently made myself a red dress after not having had one for years and then realised that the last time I wore red my hair was dyed almost black, and that my natural colour doesn't really look that great directly against it, so I wear it up around that one item :laugh:

Xylia
January 4th, 2014, 09:32 AM
When I let my hair go gray I tried to follow the "rules" about needing to change your wardrobe and makeup. Big fail. I felt so uncomfortable in what was reccomended that I only lasted a couple of weeks that way. I went back to my favorite colors and have had far more compliments. The most compliments I get are when I wear orange. I've never been a rule follower, so I'm not quite sure what came over me to begin with, but it sure is good to be back to me.

As for fabrics, I haven't made ant changes yet, but I may when my hair gets a bit longer.

melusine963
January 4th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I haven't changed my wardrobe to accommodate my hair, but I have changed my hair to accommodate my wardrobe. For example, my braid was getting caught in the labels at the back of my neck, so I started pinning it up.

MissBubble
January 4th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I always avoid zips and velcro around my hair, not just to cater, but because it is annoying. I try not to be too obsessed with things like that. I also avoid to sleep with any kind of necklace on, I have damaged my hair many times with that.

I have made color adjustments though, having red hair I avoid bright colors and multicolored clothes.

serin blackwood
January 4th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I'm with spidermom. Why the heck would you go that far? If you're willing to go that far, then you are obsessing over your hair, if I may say so, and IMMHO.

Well, I'll tell you why. I am 55 and my whole entire life i have wanted long, beautiful hair. All of my role models growing up were long haired women, having long hair always felt like part of my identity. It goes very deep and is hard to explain.
I will admit that i have been absolutely clueless about why my hair has looked like utter crap that would never grow past APL for all of those years ... until I found this forum in 2011.
I have since made many changes. My hair looks much better now and has gained a couple inches and it feels like a miracle to me. I am starting to have hope that I do not have "bad hair genes" and that maybe BSL is not my terminal length ... this is not a whim for me, nor an "obsession", it is something on my life's list of achievements to accomplish.

To those that can grow long hair more easily than myself, it might be difficult to understand, but if switching to hair friendly clothing gets me a step closer to my goals (dreams, really), well, clothes and fashion come and go, they are just things you buy, but my hair is me, and something I treasure deeply.

Stray_mind
January 5th, 2014, 02:48 AM
well, i am planning to change my wardrobe only for it to fit to my hair colour but i never thought about preventing damage with choosing some special clothing..

Tini'sNewHair
January 5th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I had to change my style because of how my body changed after having two kids. Somehow ive ended up with lose/bulkish type of skin under my arm pits which shows a lot when wearing singlet type of clothing - so ALL of my favorite clothes had to be changed including my beautiful dresses *sign* :(

As for my hair, I cant wear hoods either unless i bun up my hair which i dont think it suits the style so i simply just stay away from that. I hardly let my hair down now so i havent noticed many problems but i guess, come autumn and then winter i can see how my jackets will be a problem and the scarfs etc. but i know that i will just put my hair up so no headache there.

Cederin
January 5th, 2014, 06:21 AM
Nah, I can't say I have. Except that I enjoy wearing black now when my hair is lighter, compared to when my hair was really dark. :)

lapushka
January 5th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Well, I'll tell you why. I am 55 and my whole entire life i have wanted long, beautiful hair. All of my role models growing up were long haired women, having long hair always felt like part of my identity. It goes very deep and is hard to explain.
I will admit that i have been absolutely clueless about why my hair has looked like utter crap that would never grow past APL for all of those years ... until I found this forum in 2011.
I have since made many changes. My hair looks much better now and has gained a couple inches and it feels like a miracle to me. I am starting to have hope that I do not have "bad hair genes" and that maybe BSL is not my terminal length ... this is not a whim for me, nor an "obsession", it is something on my life's list of achievements to accomplish.

To those that can grow long hair more easily than myself, it might be difficult to understand, but if switching to hair friendly clothing gets me a step closer to my goals (dreams, really), well, clothes and fashion come and go, they are just things you buy, but my hair is me, and something I treasure deeply.

Well, I certainly meant no judgement. What I said is what it would be like for me. To me, personally it is going too far. Please don't take it as a personal attack or anything. Because it wasn't meant as one! :flower:

Whatever works for you!

Neptune
January 5th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I'm definitely more careful about the jewelry I wear, especially earrings. My hair gets so tangled in them if I leave it down!! My hair is waist-length, and I put it in a bun and inside a wool hat (a nice roomy one from Ralph Lauren) when I'm outside in the winter. I'm very careful of zippers, both on my jackets and in the back of dresses and shirts. At work it's generally up in a braid or a bun. I usually only leave it down on date nights :)

Sharysa
January 5th, 2014, 07:06 PM
No, my hair, even though from my shoulders down is still damaged from years of bleaching, is surprisingly strong-and the virgin is more coarse than I remember. I also don't wear a lot of rougher fabrics as I can't stand how they look/feel (and I'm allergic to wool). Even if my hair was more prone to damage I wouldn't let it dictate what I wore.

I find that a lot of people who are allergic to wool or find it scratchy are usually allergic to the chemical baths that modern wools are soaked in. I have a nearly 60% wool peacoat, and it's not scratchy at all, and then I've spun pretty cheap Corriedale wool and come out with yarn that is perfectly serviceable and not scratchy at all.

Plus, if you look closely at a lot of "wool" clothing, it turns out that most of them aren't pure wool, or even HALF wool. Most wool clothing is barely 20% wool, but it's marketed as wool because most people don't look too closely at their labels.

If non-chemically treated wool is scratchy or if you're genuinely allergic to wool, it means that you're either allergic to the lanolin (the waxy stuff that keeps wool waterproof) or that 1) it wasn't washed properly, 2) it wasn't spun/woven properly, or 2) it was from poor-quality sheep.

Sorry for getting on a soapbox, but I just hate all the misleading that goes on in clothing.

Chromis
January 5th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I find that a lot of people who are allergic to wool or find it scratchy are usually allergic to the chemical baths that modern wools are soaked in. I have a nearly 60% wool peacoat, and it's not scratchy at all, and then I've spun pretty cheap Corriedale wool and come out with yarn that is perfectly serviceable and not scratchy at all.

Plus, if you look closely at a lot of "wool" clothing, it turns out that most of them aren't pure wool, or even HALF wool. Most wool clothing is barely 20% wool, but it's marketed as wool because most people don't look too closely at their labels.

If non-chemically treated wool is scratchy or if you're genuinely allergic to wool, it means that you're either allergic to the lanolin (the waxy stuff that keeps wool waterproof) or that 1) it wasn't washed properly, 2) it wasn't spun/woven properly, or 2) it was from poor-quality sheep.

Sorry for getting on a soapbox, but I just hate all the misleading that goes on in clothing.

Also, to jump onto Sharysa's soapbox: Sheep don't grow premium wool all over their bodies. And not all sheep grow great wool. Merino britch (top of the rump, think like britches) is going to be pretty coarse mostly. It will also be cheaper than the fine stuff on the neck and back. Many wool pools and mills just throw it all in together for cheap wool though, so you will still feel prickle. Those prickly bits are what makes people itch and think they have a rash because then the skin gets red. If I scratched my skin with steel wool it would be red too, but not because I am allergic!

I do not understand all the people I keep seeing here on LHC who avoid wearing wool hats. I wear them most of the year since I am perpetually cold. I have thicker ones for winter and thinner for spring and then in the summer I melt and don't need one. (Fickle, fickle body thermostat lol). They don't give me any more trouble with frizz than I normally have, don't make my hair dry, but they do keep me nice and warm and my hair is well protected along with my ears and forehead. And no, I don't wear a silk scarf under them. There is no way I would be able to keep that combo on my head and I am pretty convinced those who manage this feat have some kind of superpower they ain't sharing with the rest of us.

oatmealpie
January 6th, 2014, 09:36 AM
I've bought a lot more green dresses and tops after going red.

SleepyTangles
January 6th, 2014, 11:58 AM
I usually don't let my hair loose if I'm wearing clothes made of wool or another fabric that will make my hair tangly, and I usually chech that on the shoulder/neckline there isn't anything that will hook my hair, but I'm not really paranoid.
I'm usually fine with the clothes I have!

I've slightly changed my colour habits, thought. Since I went auburn/red, I don't wear so much purple anymore and I've started liking almost every shade of green.

Shorty89
January 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I haven't changed my wardrobe since I wear my hair up a lot, but I do make sure to wear hair friendly clothing if I have my hair down. That means watching out for zippers that might catch hair, any rough fabrics, or something too staticky.

Ravenkitten
January 6th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I don't wear my hair down anymore. It use to be long, then I cut it short because of the damage I obtained from having it down all the time, getting caught in clothing, always having to pull it and tug it pull it out of things. Not to mention what having it fly around in the wind would do to it.
I then cut it short because I felt like it was in bad condition. Now, my hair is long again, and I would probably leave it down indoors.
I can wear whatever I like, and I keep my hair up most of the time, and it's long and in good condition.

emilylightning
January 6th, 2014, 06:00 PM
double post -_-

emilylightning
January 6th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Yes! I get very excited about anything satin, silk satin, or plastic-y [like a waterproof coat] because they're more hair-friendly! Most of the time I just keep my hair up, but if I want to wear it down [for like a whole day] I'd much rather wear a satin blouse on that day! I really want a satin-lined hoodie, but for now I just wear my reversible jacket/coat thing inside out so the plastic side is on the inside. It really prevents my hair from getting messed up.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure my virgin hair is quite strong, and I don't need to limit what I wear, but I am quite paranoid about damage after what I went through, so it's all just a preventative measure.

Hele
January 6th, 2014, 07:16 PM
oh lord...i've never even considered this. I do watch out for zippers and buttons though, i think one bad experience of getting a braid caught in a zipper can scar one for life :( I've given up on hats at this point but i do like hoodies, i can tuck my braid in there quite nicely! I also tend to avoid necklaces because no matter what i do hair gets caught in the clasp.