PDA

View Full Version : Scissors and other bits n' bobs

dawnrader
January 1st, 2014, 06:35 PM
Hi all,

It's been a long while since I was here last and have gone from waist to tailbone and i'm almost at classic but my hair is not in a great condition as it's not been cut/trimmed in a long time. Now I have the length I want it's time to start maintaining and growing out the breakage/splits.

I don't want to go to a salon as I'm scared they will cut off more than I want so I'm looking for information regarding types of hairdressing scissors.

What make/models do you have?
How much were they?
Where do you get them sharpened?

Thanks in advance

nic
x

Ambystoma
January 1st, 2014, 07:15 PM
I don't have high-end scissors, just some $20 ones from the chemist but I keep them solely for hair and don't let them get wet or dirty and they do a great job, plus I don't mind if they need to be replaced every couple of years. One day I might treat myself to a fancy pair though, but I've been self trimming for years and not had a problem with the less expensive ones causing splits or not giving a nice sharp line.

dawnrader
January 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM
Thanks for that Ambystoma, I was hoping someone would say it could be done cheaply. All I've seen are pairs for £200 or there abouts.

PraiseCheeses
January 3rd, 2014, 05:48 PM
I have a pair of $50ish Arius Eickert shears that I picked up at Sally's, and there's a huge difference between them and even $20 Tweezermans, let alone cheaper drugstore pairs. The Tweezermans dulled quickly and I can feel how they don't close as smoothly as the AEs. These haven't needed sharpening yet, and I've had them for a little over a year with trims every 3-4 months or so. (Just think of how little use they get compared to a hairdresser's shears that are cutting for hours upon hours every day.) Considering a cut at the cheapest chain costs at least $15, these paid for themselves a while ago. IMHO, it's worth spending a bit more for quality if it's saving you money in the long run.

Tweezerman does offer free sharpening of their products; as I've held onto those for S&D and the occasional feline fluffypants trim, I'll probably take advantage of that soon.

anitacs9101
January 3rd, 2014, 11:41 PM
I have the Tweezerman scissors that so many other people here have. I think I paid about 30 or 40 for them. I'm not sure if I like them. :( Most of my hair is pretty healthy, as far as I can tell, but the very ends of my hair tend to look scraggly, due to having been dyed the most. I don't have big long splits, however, but rather lots of very tiny baby splits, and white dots. They're EVERYWHERE, never seem to get any worse, and don't go away with trims. Which leads me to believe it may be partially the scissor's fault. Although I've also read that that is just what happens when you try to cut too much hair at once.

PixxieStix
January 3rd, 2014, 11:50 PM
I bought my hair cutting scissors for about $25 at Sally Beauty Supply, the 5'' Logo Cricket brand, and they have been working great, but I only use them for S&D as I LOVE getting my hair done at a salon 2-3X a year. I check them every few months by cutting a piece of toilet paper and if the edges are super sharp I just keep using the scissors until they fail the test. I've thought about a fancier pair, as I've seen them anywhere from $10 to upwards of $300, but would have no idea where to get them sharpened.

Rio040113
January 4th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I just decided to spend a bit of my Christmas money one some new ones, I only ordered them 2 days ago so I can't really rate them but I think I can answer your questions!

What make/models do you have?

I just got a pair of 5" Jaguar Pre-Styles.

How much were they?

£52, not including VAT.

Where do you get them sharpened?

I obviously haven't needed to, as they haven't even arrived yet ha but the website I got them from offers a sharpening and repairs service :)

ETA: Okay, my scissors (and other bits) literally just turned up. Is it a coincidence? Magic? I don't know, I'm both thrilled and mildly creeped out though :lol:

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I have drug store shears I gave a dollar for. I love them they work great. No I don't sharpen mine I use them until they're dull then pitch.

windwhispers
January 9th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I have a pair of sally Hansen brand scissors that I got at Walmart for less than 5 dollars and they work really well.

owly
January 9th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I bought a pair at Target (I forget the brand name). They're pretty sharp, and I've had them for over a year. I haven't noticed any damage to my hair, though my hair is short. I might get a new pair, now that my SO tried to trim his nose hair with them. :rolleyes: