PDA

View Full Version : tangles and knots galore

Andrasta
January 1st, 2014, 12:49 PM
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some advice on a hair problem that only seems to be getting worse. I've always had short hair but have been growing it out for over a year now. Its between apl and bsl and that's the longest its ever been. I have very fine hair but lots of it so I have always had an issue with tangles but that's nothing compared to what I'm dealing with lately. My hair has been getting so knotted that it almost seems to become matted underneath the layers if I leave it down during the day.

I always brush my hair before bed with a bbb and tie it up while I sleep on a satin pillowcase. Before I shower I brush it again and always wide tooth comb while my conditioner sits. I gently pat dry with a towel and wide tooth comb again. Most days I let it air dry, but nothing seems to be working.

Help me please this has become a battle that I think I'm losing.....

DweamGoiL
January 1st, 2014, 01:30 PM
I think it would help with recommendations if you include your hair texture and what products you use on your hair as well and when was the last time your hair was processed in any way or if you have virgin hair.

Andrasta
January 1st, 2014, 01:52 PM
Ok thank you DweamGoil. Im not too sure about the exact classification of hair types but I have fine hair strand wise but a fair amount of it. When I let it air dry it has a slight wave to it. I use ****** ***** ********* products right now and so a single process hair color about once every six weeks to my regrowth. My hair had been bleached before but I have since cut all of that off before I started to grow it out. I hope this helps!

Juanita
January 1st, 2014, 02:22 PM
A clarifying shampoo would be a good place to start to remove build up of product from hair. Sometimes that's all you need to get less tangly hair.
How long since you have trimmed? Do you do S&D? Which means looking through and trimming off individual split ends on your hair.
Detangle with your fingers first,then a wide tooth comb and finally use your BBB brush last.
Hope this helps.

bibijay
January 1st, 2014, 02:26 PM
Am not sure if you are avoiding cones? If not, coney serum and hair oil really help my fine, wavy hair avoid tangles.
I use Aussie curl serum - 2 pumps on wet hair after conditioning and before combing, and a couple of sprays of Loreal Elvive Hair Oil for Fine hair. I also use the oil on dry hair if it gets too tangly or static, but sparingly! Hope this helps.

Cania
January 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Do you have lots of split ends? My hair is definitely at its most tangly when I haven't S&D'd in a while. I'd also suggest using some sort of leave-in. I like to use a few drops of EVOO after my shower after I squeeze my hair dry, but you might prefer something coney :)

Andrasta
January 1st, 2014, 04:13 PM
I know *** products are all silicone free, so maybe l need to reintroduce silicones into my routine? I trimmed about two months ago and don't really get split ends. My hair gets oily by the end of the day so I have avoided any leave ins especially since my hair is at its healthiest it's been in years. Except of course the whole tangles thing haha

Andrasta
January 1st, 2014, 04:15 PM
Im not sure why they put stars in place of "***" which was short for *****. Apologize for that!

<Moderator note>
There's a history between LHC and the company you mentioned. We do not discuss their products, as they requested censorship of negative reviews. Thanks for understanding.

Madora
January 1st, 2014, 04:39 PM
I agree with Juanita about clarifying your hair. Be sure to do a deep conditioning treatment afterwards.

If your hair is long enough, you might try a Gibson Tuck to keep it up.

Also, try detangling your hair every so often with a wide tooth comb through the day. Don't wait until bedtime to deal with all the tangles. You might want to look into a satin pillowcase cover..or a satin night cap to contain your hair whileyou are sleeping.

Cania
January 1st, 2014, 05:06 PM
I know *** products are all silicone free, so maybe l need to reintroduce silicones into my routine? I trimmed about two months ago and don't really get split ends. My hair gets oily by the end of the day so I have avoided any leave ins especially since my hair is at its healthiest it's been in years. Except of course the whole tangles thing haha

Sounds like your hair is getting oily very quickly, I guess you're washing your hair daily?
Is it at all possible that your hair is quite dry/thirsty? If your producing that much sebum it could be because you're stripping it of oil too often so it is over compensating, in which case a few drops of oil would definitely help with the tangles... but you said you don't get splits so maybe not. Hmph! This is a tricky one! Would definitely second the suggestion to clarify, then maybe follow up with something nice and luxurious, maybe an SMT.

TheVegan6
January 1st, 2014, 05:10 PM
I'd take Juanita's advice and clarify. Every day, I would mix conditioner with water, a 1-3 ratio of conditioner to water, and spray that on my hair. I used to have tangly hair, so I did this.:cheese:

Andrasta
January 1st, 2014, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE] Sounds like your hair is getting oily very quickly, I guess you're washing your hair daily?*
Is it at all possible that your hair is quite dry/thirsty? If your producing that much sebum it*could*be because you're stripping it of oil too often so it is over compensating, in which case a few drops of oil would definitely help with the tangles... but you said you don't get splits so maybe not. Hmph! This is a tricky one! Would definitely second the suggestion to clarify, then maybe follow up with something nice and luxurious, maybe an SMT.

/QUOTE]

I know its quite a tricky situation. I have clarified using the anti residue shampoo and a deep conditioning mask from l'oreal. I do wash my hair everyday as I've had no luck stretching my washes. Im thinking from all your advice that I might need to go back to cones and start wearing my hair up more often!

Andrasta
January 1st, 2014, 05:25 PM
I have tried clarifying with anti residue shampoo and the l'oreal evercreme mask. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck stretching my washes. It sounds like I might need to go back to cones and start wearing my hair up more often unfortunately

heidi w.
January 1st, 2014, 06:29 PM
First, do not use a bbb to detangle hair. It will only create tangles rather than take them out. Detangle with a wide tooth comb. Use conditioner when you wash your hair each and every time, and oil the length from the earlobes on down the length. There's all kinds of oils to choose from but I suggest Coconut Oil made by Spectrum Naturals. AFTER your hair is detangled, then you can use a bbb to polish the hair. Wear your hair up every day, and take it down at night.

After you've detangled your hair, then you can put the length into loose braids, double braids so you don't sleep on a lump.Loose braids means the hair is a bit loose when you begin the braid but braid tighter down the length. Use safe for hair tieoffs for the braids. Sleep on a satin pillowcase which allows hair to slip and slide. When you remove the braids in the morning do it in reverse order you put the hair in. Same for an updo, which I don't recommend wearing to bed.

If you must, find a detangle spray if the knots and tangles don't stop. I recommend starting by clarifying the hair with 3 T each of baking soda and your shampoo choice blended well together.

heidi w.

Andrasta
January 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your advice :)

spidermom
January 1st, 2014, 07:14 PM
Sometimes it's a matter of finding more compatible products. I remember going through a period of tangly hair. By the time I was finished combing/detangling my hair, the side where I started was all tangled up again. I tried all the usual suggestions, and nothing worked. I was ready to cut really short! However, I found a product on sale that I wanted to try, and the difference was like night and day. I used to buy whatever was on sale that appealed to me, but now I only buy Renpure Originals Luxurious argan oil formula shampoo and conditioner and leave-in. I also use VO5 kiwi lime clarifying shampoo about every other month to remove whatever buildup I might have. Of course I don't know if this product would make a difference for you, but there might be a product out there that suits your hair much better than whatever you're using, so I'd try something else if I were you.

Oh, my hair also responds really well to Giovanni 50/50 shampoo and conditioner, which I bought in the trial sizes to put in my backpack for use at my fitness club.