PDA

View Full Version : Dry, flaky and itchy scalp - Help regarding products

RAddict
January 1st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Hello all

I'm happy to join this community.

I'm Portuguese, so sorry for some of my English. I'm going to try to be as short as possible.

I'm a 26 years old male and i have dry scalp since few years back (i had a sympethectomy and since then my scalp is dry). It was never too bothersome and i never used nothing for it. But now this condition is worse, and although things usually get worse in winter, i never got this worse in winter times and that's why i'm asking for your help.

My scalp is extremely dry,flaky and itchy to the point where sometimes during the sleep, i scratch it so much that when i wake up in the morning, i have some
yellow pus in some areas of my scalp due to the scratching. My scalp is so dry that i sweat very little from it when i exercise.

I admit that as this point i am a bit desperate. I've searched in the internet, ordered some products and i would like to know please what do you think about this:

- Organic Cider Vinegar with the "Mother" and a few drops of Australian Pure Tea Tree Oil mixed with water. Using this in the shower after shampooing and leave it for about 2 hours, wearing a shower cap. I just dont know how many times per week i should do this

- Organic Raw Virgin Coconut Oil with a damp hair and after shower (sometimes also after the Cider Vinegar and Tea Tree Oil mixture), wear a shower cap and leave it overnight. Again, i'm unsure of how many times per week i should apply this oil.

So this is it. I dont have the products yet but this is what i'm thinking to do when my order arrive. That's why i need your help and opinions :)

Thank you all and happy new year :)!

monsoonstorm
January 1st, 2014, 12:15 PM
Are you sure it is pure dryness and there is no fungal/bacterial infection making things worse? Perhaps ask a doctor/dermatologist to test?

What shampoo/conditioner do you use? If it's a sudden change perhaps your scalp is reacting to one of the ingredients.

Other than that, perhaps get yourself a silk pillowcase as cotton can be quite absorbant and will draw the oil from your hair/scalp.

Not sure about the ACV... I know it's good for lowering pH and thus help if your scalp is irritated due to pH imbalance, but I'm not sure if it will help with dryness. I'm not very up on ACV, I'm sure others may have better advice there.

Sorry I'm not much use, I hope you find a solution though!

redtuss
January 1st, 2014, 12:31 PM
Have you visited a doctor that could do scrapings to rule out fungus? Try this first! If it's fungus or bacteria a home-made remedy won't help as well as a prescription and we don't want you to be in pain.

If you have I can recommend that you try to take ½ tablespoon aloe vera gel, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons honey that you mix up in a bowl. Apply it to your scalp, if you want to you can have some in your hair too, and let it sit for a while and then rinse it out. Finish off with cold water.
This helps my scalp when I'm itchy. Coconut oil also helps with a dry scalp, just a tiny amount and a good rub in.

How often do you wash your hair and do you use shampoo? It could be a good idea to try washing less frequently, so that your natural sebum can help protect your scalp. If you use shampoo try to get one that is sulphate-free since that is less irritating to the scalp.

RAddict
January 1st, 2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I think is dry scalp but i guess i should see a derm if this continues.

Well i wash my hair almost everyday because i exercise pretty much everyday, but sometimes i dont shampoo, just warm/cold water. I also ordered a SLS free shampoo.

I think i will try the products first and if things dont get better or get worse, i will definately see a derm.

You think is fine to put the amount of coconut oil i´m going to use into a microwave so it's easier to apply? And can i use it everyday or is too much?

Thanks.

breezefaerie
January 1st, 2014, 01:20 PM
Welcome :)

You can definitely melt your coconut oil in the microwave, but it might be easier to run the container under some hot water.
I wish you luck!

redtuss
January 1st, 2014, 01:27 PM
Sinnce you put water on your scalp everyday I would say have the oil on everyday as well, you shouldn't need to put it in microwave, just rub it in your hands and it's liquid. The amount of oil should be just to get your palms shiny - so just a tiny tiny bit!

Right now though your scalp is sore and hurt so be kind to it, don't scratch it and be wary about what you put on it, less is more! You said that you scratch in your sleep - can you sleep with thin cotton gloves and also keep your nails short and filed (so there aren't any rough edges on the nails)? That could help, cotton gloves aren't annoying to wear either and if you put them on after moisturising your hands will be happy too :)

It's a good idea to just use warm water and finish with cold, sweat is not so hard to wash out that you need a shampoo :) Try to stretch the amount of days between your shampoo-washes and see if that helps? For example if you wash every other day with shampoo today, go every third day for two-four weeks, then every fourth day for two-four weeks and see where you are the most comfortable :) For some their scalps are the happiest with shampooing maybe once a week, others once a month or every other month.

I hope you will find something that works but I would strongly suggest a doctor too - scalps aren't supposed to behave like this!

RAddict
January 1st, 2014, 02:13 PM
Welcome :)

You can definitely melt your coconut oil in the microwave, but it might be easier to run the container under some hot water.
I wish you luck!

Thank you :)

Sinnce you put water on your scalp everyday I would say have the oil on everyday as well, you shouldn't need to put it in microwave, just rub it in your hands and it's liquid. The amount of oil should be just to get your palms shiny - so just a tiny tiny bit!

Right now though your scalp is sore and hurt so be kind to it, don't scratch it and be wary about what you put on it, less is more! You said that you scratch in your sleep - can you sleep with thin cotton gloves and also keep your nails short and filed (so there aren't any rough edges on the nails)? That could help, cotton gloves aren't annoying to wear either and if you put them on after moisturising your hands will be happy too :)

It's a good idea to just use warm water and finish with cold, sweat is not so hard to wash out that you need a shampoo :) Try to stretch the amount of days between your shampoo-washes and see if that helps? For example if you wash every other day with shampoo today, go every third day for two-four weeks, then every fourth day for two-four weeks and see where you are the most comfortable :) For some their scalps are the happiest with shampooing maybe once a week, others once a month or every other month.

I hope you will find something that works but I would strongly suggest a doctor too - scalps aren't supposed to behave like this!

Thank you for your advices!

I've never thought of that but cotton gloves seems to be a pretty good idea and it would have avoided some scalp damage done by scratching earlier!
I'l certainly use less shampoo and follow your advice. And yes i will go to a doc, i just want to try this first :)

Thanks.

redtuss
January 2nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
I hope it will help you :)