PDA

View Full Version : Do you measure your ponytail circumference on straightened or natural hair?

lole18
December 31st, 2013, 11:22 AM
Idon't know if you should measure while its straightened or natural? and should the ponytail be high or low? thanks! :)

sarahthegemini
December 31st, 2013, 11:34 AM
Natural. Why do it on hair that has been deliberately manipulated, I.e straightened? That makes no sense :p

NuclearApple
December 31st, 2013, 12:50 PM
Always natural!You have to calculate your natural hair type! :D

PixxieStix
December 31st, 2013, 08:16 PM
The ponytail should be placed wherever it is on your head you can get the most hair in to it, whether it's low or an inch from your forehead, and on whatever your natural texture is!

lhangel9
December 31st, 2013, 10:27 PM
I have to disagree with the majority here. If you measure your hair while it's straightened, you will see the actual true length. Example: If your hair is 25" straightened, but due to shrinkage ("or" being natural) it's only 17" then you do not know the real length of your hair. It's not about manipulation, it's about knowing/showing your actual length. You can always go back to natural, but when measuring, you want to know the actual length. I know folks with 1A/1B type hair who straightens it just to see the actual length (un-straightened it's about 1 - 1 1/2" shorter).

Tini'sNewHair
December 31st, 2013, 10:48 PM
Personally I chose to keep my hair all virgin and that’s how its done :p

jeanniet
January 1st, 2014, 12:33 AM
I have to disagree with the majority here. If you measure your hair while it's straightened, you will see the actual true length. Example: If your hair is 25" straightened, but due to shrinkage ("or" being natural) it's only 17" then you do not know the real length of your hair. It's not about manipulation, it's about knowing/showing your actual length. You can always go back to natural, but when measuring, you want to know the actual length. I know folks with 1A/1B type hair who straightens it just to see the actual length (un-straightened it's about 1 - 1 1/2" shorter).

Circumference, not length. IMO, it doesn't matter, because you have to compress to get a proper reading anyway--but since it's unlikely that you're going to compress uniformly every single time, the measurements aren't going to be 100% consistent.

I would measure natural, especially since you have fragile hair, so for you straightening is a very bad idea.