PDA

View Full Version : My scalp hurts like crazy!

Verdandi
December 31st, 2013, 07:06 AM
I've used the seach tool, but didn't find a answer, even though I'm quite sure someone asked something similar to this before (benefits of being a lurker).

I'm getting desperate!
My scalp just recently started to hurt. Not just a little, but a LOT. I can't even comb my hair without pain and no updos work. Even wearing it loose is painful. I got myself a sleeping cap to be able to give it a rest from updo's at night since thought the scalp was sore fron constant updos, but there's no difference. Some days a loose english braid works ( I HAVE to wear it up for work since I work at a hospital) but it still pulls wierdly and hurt, no matter how many times i redo it.
I don't have dandruff, flaking or anything like that, it just hurts.

My routine, if it could have anything to do with the pain:
Wash hair every 3-4 days, using a diluted organic shampoo and organic conditioner (Urtekram Nordic Birch Moisture). Pre-wash coconut oiling and oil the ends daily with a light wannabee-coconut oil (Bodyshop rainforest nutrition coconut oil, since regular coconut oil weighs my hair down to much to be used at daily basis) and wear it up for the day. Take it out and put in a sleeping cap for the night.

neko_kawaii
December 31st, 2013, 08:13 AM
I've gone through periods similar to that and what worked for me was to wash more frequently (every other day for example) and contain my hair in braids rather than buns during the day. In my case the scalp pain calmed down after a week or two and I could go back to less frequent washes and more buns. However, I learned that I can't bun my hair at night without tempting scalp pain and I frequently do braided buns because those seem to be less aggravating.

I hope the pain goes away soon!

Firefox7275
December 31st, 2013, 08:14 AM
See your family doctor or a dermatologist. Few here have any medical qualifications: we cannot diagnose or offer treatments.

Kaelee
December 31st, 2013, 08:17 AM
When that happened to me, it was something in the conditioner I was using building up on and bothering my scalp- in my case, silica (from horsetail). As soon as I quit using that conditioner, it went away.

Try switching up your products and see what happens. Failing that, though, Firefox gives the best advice. :agree:

Madora
December 31st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Have you changed the way you comb or brush your hair? Have you changed the way you wear it in updos?

Follicles will hurt like crazy when their established pattern has been disturbed. I would definitely schedule an appointment with a doctor (trichologist) to see what's going on.

Llama
December 31st, 2013, 03:34 PM
I've had scalp pain before and I couldn't figure out what it was for a while. I realized it may have been how I was scrubbing when I would wash my hair or when I would massage my scalp. Once I started scrubbing a lot gentler and laying off massaging my scalp so much, the pain went away for good. This seems like a no-brainer but is something to think about too!

monsoonstorm
December 31st, 2013, 03:41 PM
my recent scalp pain was due to dryness.

There was no flaking at first, but after a day or two there was lots. It was quite strange.

Oiling my scalp and a SMT helped. It disappeared almost as quickly as it started. Perhaps it was an allergic reaction to something, who knows.

Nadine <3
December 31st, 2013, 04:12 PM
My scalp does that if I use harsh shampoos.

heidi w.
December 31st, 2013, 04:36 PM
I've only had scalp pain when changing my hair part. I have no answer for you. I hope it repairs soon. I recommend seeing a dermatologist. Finding a trichologist might be too hard. A dermatologist can help you.
heidi w.

dulce
December 31st, 2013, 07:40 PM
I've had this at times too,washing the scalp daily seems to help me.

Verdandi
January 3rd, 2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the answers! Seems to be a whole bunch of possible reasons..

I had a quick chat with one of the doctors at work about it yesterday out of coincidence. I took it down for lunch to give it a rest, and he complimented it (Yay! First hair-compliment in ages!). He is not even close to a dermatologist, but getting to see one of thoose take months were I live. I mentioned the pain and he thought it was either scalp-dryness (winter-weather in Scandivia) and/or to tight, constant pulling from updos. That or stress. Which is HIGLY possible, my life is pretty chaotic.

I've tried using different products when washing (and also, more frequent washing) the last few days, pain isn't gone, but at least it is less noticeable. Washing seems to help! I try to wear it down when I get the chance, and even trimmed a 1/3 inch to make sure the old splits weren't encouraged by rubbing against my clothes. Experimenting continues. Unfortunatly, stressful lifestyle isn't removable at the moment.

night owl
January 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Could you have done something different recently and not even realized it? Whenever I go to get my hair cut, no matter the style of the wash basin, it always leaves me with a heavily bruised feeling on my neck and the back of my head. I don't know why that particular thing triggers such sensitivity. I also can get scalp headaches when my glasses don't sit properly. Turns out I flex my ears to try to hold them up, and the tension gives me a weird headache. Could you be unknowingly doing something like that?

Since you're already seeing some relief from changing when/how you wash, you might also try an ice pack for 20 minutes now and then, and make a specific effort to relax for that time. One of those squishy gel packs would work best.