PDA

View Full Version : I'm hennaing oiled hair for the first time

tbonita
December 30th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Not because of dryness or anything, but I was doing a castor/EO treatment on my roots and my homemade bhringraj/brahmi/amla oil in the lengths, couldn't sleep, and decided to plop a henna on top. I've read very mixed reviews over this topic. Anyone henna over oiled hair? I know a lot of sites say that this inhibits the dye, but I've also read this was done traditionally. Can't wait to see the outcome!

durgidog
December 30th, 2013, 11:51 PM
I regularly henna on heavily oiled hair, works great and really helps with rinse out and the drying effects of henna - good luck!

tbonita
December 31st, 2013, 08:11 AM
Thanks durgidog! Will let you know how it turns out :)

Anje
December 31st, 2013, 08:32 AM
In my experience, it works great. Rinses easier, less drying, etc.

tbonita
December 31st, 2013, 10:47 AM
Came out great stained just as well! Thanks ladies :)

durgidog
December 31st, 2013, 01:34 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!

browneyedsusan
January 1st, 2014, 08:55 AM
I've hennaed over oiled hair, and it came out fine. (I also roll some EVOO around the inside of my dye bottle before I put the mud in, and it slides right out so easy!)

tbonita
January 1st, 2014, 10:04 AM
I've hennaed over oiled hair, and it came out fine. (I also roll some EVOO around the inside of my dye bottle before I put the mud in, and it slides right out so easy!)

I wonder why one site we all know insist upon the 'greased pan/dye won't stick theory'!! As well as the lemon juice is needed theory - oh! how that dried out my hair so! I think traditionally women have always hennaed over oiled hair. I'm probably going to keep on with it; plus, I feel like I'm getting 2 treatments in one :)

Anje
January 1st, 2014, 05:23 PM
I wonder why one site we all know insist upon the 'greased pan/dye won't stick theory'!! As well as the lemon juice is needed theory - oh! how that dried out my hair so! I think traditionally women have always hennaed over oiled hair. I'm probably going to keep on with it; plus, I feel like I'm getting 2 treatments in one :)
I haven't the foggiest. I've gotten some of my most intense henna results applied to hair that was in need of a wash (granted, I don't use silicones), using henna that was first mixed with water to make a thick clay, then had olive oil added until it was a desirable consistency. The stuff must have been close to half oil. Strong dyeing, rinsed easily, hair got COed in the process of rinsing so I didn't have to wash separately. Win, win, win.

durgidog
January 1st, 2014, 07:06 PM
I wonder why one site we all know insist upon the 'greased pan/dye won't stick theory'!! As well as the lemon juice is needed theory - oh! how that dried out my hair so! I think traditionally women have always hennaed over oiled hair.

I don't get it either. The first time I visited that site I had already been hennaing for a year with water and often 1/4 of EVOO on my hair. Needles to say I haven't back to that forum since.

ETA: I believe site that also states that metal shouldn't be used to mix henna in/with. Meanwhile in India using a cast iron pot for mixing is traditional.