PDA

View Full Version : Confused about hair type & how to get more waves! (pictures)

oktobergoud
December 30th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hey everyone!

I never had hair this long (well, except for when I was child) so I'm not sure what kind of hair I have and stuff. My hair is semi wavy, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it is and I'm not sure what to do with it :/ I really like waves, so I like it to be as wavy as possible! But sometimes it's super wavy and other times it's really straight. I found one product that makes my hair really straight but that's about it, most of the times I just have to wait and see how my hair dries up and how it's gonna be. It's also very frizzy but also fine, so too much oil makes it greasy *sigh*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/haar3.jpg

Never mind the face :P Haha but here's the difference: on the left side it's wavy and on the right side it's super straight! It's freshly washed on the first and greasier on the other one, but it was already very straight right after washing it on the 2nd picture! It depends on what products I use, I guess, but it's still a hit and miss.

It's also wavier when it's still drying up, so when it's still 'moist'.

Also here are some pictures from today (freshly henna-ed so supershiny and bright), where one side is really straight and the other side is wavy! I didn't brush it but also didn't clarify it (and used a deep conditioner, only used henna on the roots etc. etc.) so it's not an official 'please hair type me' picture, but alas. It will have to do...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/haar1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/postalwar/haar2.jpg

Ha today my hair is being extra weird: one side is straight and one side is wavy?!

Sooo questions are: what hair type could I be? I have 1c now, but sometimes I even have ringlets so I'm kinda confused. I have layers too so they might work better for waves? Also, how can I make my hair as wavy as possible (without using special techniques)? It seems to like moisture because when it's still a bit wet it has more waves? But.. what does that mean? :P Help?

I also don't like the look of unbrushed hair but when I brush it goes crazy frizzy when I do brush it (I use a tangle teezer or wooden comb). I use argan oil almost every day, R&B leave-in, deep conditioners.. I rarely have split ends but it feels a bit dry sometimes? I have read that henna can kill waves and can make your hair dry. However, the last time my hair was this long it wasn't this wavy, so I don't know anymore :P It seems like my hair is sucking up every product I put in it? I'm also on Accutane right now (really dries out skin and can also dry out hair) but to be honest my hair was like this before the treatment as well!

I feel like I'm kinda rambling right now, so I'll just stop. I would like some advice on the hair type but also on how I can make it as wavy as possible with certain products? (As in, would it need protein or moisture or something. Those things are always confusing me!)

ExpectoPatronum
December 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
The frizz tells me that your hair is probably a lot more wavy/curly than you think it is. I had the exact same problem. My frizz was totally unmanageable until I started treating my hair like curly hair. Now instead of being a frizzy 1c, my hair is a nice 2b. Have you tried the curly girl method? That will really show you how curly your hair is, especially if you sometimes have ringlets. When I was CG, my hair was a solid 3a!

Judging from the pictures, I'd say you're a 2a-2b.

oktobergoud
December 30th, 2013, 05:57 PM
The frizz tells me that your hair is probably a lot more wavy/curly than you think it is. I had the exact same problem. My frizz was totally unmanageable until I started treating my hair like curly hair. Now instead of being a frizzy 1c, my hair is a nice 2b. Have you tried the curly girl method? That will really show you how curly your hair is, especially if you sometimes have ringlets. When I was CG, my hair was a solid 3a!

Judging from the pictures, I'd say you're a 2a-2b.

I have tried CO-washing in the past, but it was shorter back then. It always made my hair feel a bit greasy, but it might be worth it to try it again! I'll look more into the CG method, thanks :)

ExpectoPatronum
December 30th, 2013, 06:02 PM
If it doesn't work out for you (it didn't for me in the end...bleck) you can always keep to your normal routine and scrunch in a bit of hair gel too. Plopping with gel in works in bringing out some more curls, though do it on a day you don't have anywhere to be until you get the hang of it. You can get some funky results lol.

oktobergoud
December 30th, 2013, 06:22 PM
If it doesn't work out for you (it didn't for me in the end...bleck) you can always keep to your normal routine and scrunch in a bit of hair gel too. Plopping with gel in works in bringing out some more curls, though do it on a day you don't have anywhere to be until you get the hang of it. You can get some funky results lol.

Just regular gel? I did buy a leave-in for curly hair a few weeks ago, I just use it once but it left my hair all crunchy haha. It was definitely funky! :P

Firefox7275
December 30th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Curly Girl method: there is no requirement to conditioner only wash that is a myth. Many of us use a rinse out conditioner as a leave in. And stop henna-ing, it's beautiful but can pull out waves and curls.

Do join us on the Facebook Wavy Hair Community.

oktobergoud
December 31st, 2013, 02:53 AM
Curly Girl method: there is no requirement to conditioner only wash that is a myth. Many of us use a rinse out conditioner as a leave in. And stop henna-ing, it's beautiful but can pull out waves and curls.

Do join us on the Facebook Wavy Hair Community.

Oooh but I don't want to stop using henna :( I only do the roots now though, should that be better?

There's a Facebook Wavy Hair Community? I'll look into that, thanks :)

biogirl87
December 31st, 2013, 03:12 AM
Oooh but I don't want to stop using henna :( I only do the roots now though, should that be better?

There's a Facebook Wavy Hair Community? I'll look into that, thanks :)oktobergoud, some people use amla to bring back waves so this is something you could you use if you do not want to give up henna.

oktobergoud
December 31st, 2013, 03:26 AM
oktobergoud, some people use amla to bring back waves so this is something you could you use if you do not want to give up henna.

Oooh I never heard of that (I have heard of amla but not of it bringing back waves). I'll look into that, thanks! :)

biogirl87
December 31st, 2013, 03:50 AM
Oooh I never heard of that (I have heard of amla but not of it bringing back waves). I'll look into that, thanks! :)I have not tried amla myself, but I have read about it on one of the websites that sells henna.

Here is the link to the page where I read about amla: http://forums.hennapage.com/node/60.

Charybdis
December 31st, 2013, 04:33 AM
Yes, I think 2a/2b, maybe a solid 2b if you were not using henna. I remember when you were much shorter that you were talking about bits of hair flipping and sticking out, and I thought, "Aha! Waves!" Your overall waviness level is similar to mine, except I have more spiraling and frizz (lots of different hair types on one head).

monsoonstorm
December 31st, 2013, 05:01 AM
Alma will also darken your henna though, pushing it towards brown rather than the intense colour you have now.

oktobergoud
December 31st, 2013, 06:25 AM
Yes, I think 2a/2b, maybe a solid 2b if you were not using henna. I remember when you were much shorter that you were talking about bits of hair flipping and sticking out, and I thought, "Aha! Waves!" Your overall waviness level is similar to mine, except I have more spiraling and frizz (lots of different hair types on one head).

Thanks! I feel like I have lots of different hair types as well, I just don't know if it's fine/medium/coarse or just all of them! And if it's wavy or straight, it feels like it a bit of everything haha!

Alma will also darken your henna though, pushing it towards brown rather than the intense colour you have now.

I read that too :( I already find it too dark now (I lighten it every 6 months or so to make it a little brighter) so no amla for me I guess. I find my colour more important than the waves! Thanks :)

bunzfan
December 31st, 2013, 06:28 AM
hello hair twin mine waves exactly the same as yours and i class myself as a wavy, if i dont comb at all it spirals into curls have you tried doing that?

oktobergoud
December 31st, 2013, 07:52 AM
hello hair twin mine waves exactly the same as yours and i class myself as a wavy, if i dont comb at all it spirals into curls have you tried doing that?

Yeah I really try to not comb it but then it looks stringy? Less frizzy and more wavy, definitely, but also stringy? I just bought a big comb for under the shower so I'm going to try that next time! :) Brush it under the shower with lots of conditioner and then just not touch it anymore!

lapushka
December 31st, 2013, 09:07 AM
I think it's about 2a. 2b is like tight braid waves, and it seems not as tight as that, so...

sarahthegemini
December 31st, 2013, 10:04 AM
I can't offer any advice, my own hair baffles me! But your pictures, WOW. Your hair (despite being unpredictable :p) is beautiful! And I love the colour. I'm envious of how thick and full it is too.

detritus
December 31st, 2013, 01:01 PM
My hair also straddles the straight/wavy line and I love Alba Botanica Soft Hold Style Cream to promote waves without any crunchiness. Be warned it smells like Elmer's glue when wet. My hair is a lot finer than yours, so it may not work the same way but I think it would be worth a try.

shutterpillar
December 31st, 2013, 01:20 PM
Your hair sounds exactly like my hair, and I'm afraid I have yet to figure out my own monster on my head, so I am of no help. I just try not to touch it and anger the beast, LOL.

Just wanted to come say that I empathize with you. This thread is going to be beneficial to me as well. ;)

oktobergoud
January 1st, 2014, 08:36 AM
I think it's about 2a. 2b is like tight braid waves, and it seems not as tight as that, so...

Ah thanks :)

I can't offer any advice, my own hair baffles me! But your pictures, WOW. Your hair (despite being unpredictable :p) is beautiful! And I love the colour. I'm envious of how thick and full it is too.

Aww thanks! :D My hair isn't THAT thick though, it's more fake thick? I think the waves and layers give it a bit more volume, but still, thanks :)

Your hair sounds exactly like my hair, and I'm afraid I have yet to figure out my own monster on my head, so I am of no help. I just try not to touch it and anger the beast, LOL.

Just wanted to come say that I empathize with you. This thread is going to be beneficial to me as well. ;)

Hahaha 'the beast' sounds like a good name for it! :P

Sterlyn
January 1st, 2014, 09:21 AM
Another wavy weighing in, unable to offer much advice because I haven't totally figured my hair out either. This winter my hair is much happier with my home brewed butter/oil/aloe after wash treatment, *shrugs but my hair could decide that that too is unacceptable and go back to full frizzy, poufy rebellion or fall into piecy, stringy strandiness.

I just wanted to say that I have always loved the color of your hair and the waves that you have with the longer lengths are lovely as well.

Sterlyn
January 1st, 2014, 09:22 AM
* double post

torrilin
January 1st, 2014, 12:41 PM
The stuff you're calling straight is (to me) ridiculously wavy. My hair just can't do that, even if I go full on curly care, don't touch it dry, use tons of gel and leave in and scrunching... About the best I can hope for in full on curl care mode is hair that looks flat ironed to most people. To hair geeks, it has brief periods of almost looking 2a (not 2a with full on curly oriented care... 2a in the before pictures). But mostly, it looks straight because the wavelength is so long, and the amplitude of my waves is so small.

I'm positive it's safe to say "not a 1". And it's pretty safe to say not a 4 either. But 2 versus 3 just isn't real clear, and where you wind up typing will depend in part on how your hair responds and in part on your desired look. It's not a clear cut hard line. You're looking for a good description of how your hair is overall.

Some people with curly hair have hair that will hold curl fairly easily, even if their hair is pretty dried out. Others have hair that gets straighter the drier it gets. It looks to me like your hair is more in the straighter comes from drier vein, and it sounds like maybe you haven't gotten a lot of support for your waves? Clumping is necessary for curls, and it can look super weird as it dries, especially if you're not used to it. And it can look or feel a bit greasy if you're using a product that doesn't suit your hair, or if the product hasn't fully absorbed. The glossy hard "shine" that comes from gel can feel greasy too if you're used to your version of straight hair.

At least on my head, skin type also plays into the whole thing. My skin is dry and it tends to react badly to a lot of fragrances. My hair also tends to be dry. Shocking. So I tend to like products that are pretty moisturizing. If your skin is oilier, that may be a factor too.

Instead of trying a full on CO wash routine, I'd start by using the stuff you have. Try things like diluting your regular shampoo, using your regular conditioner as a leave in, maybe play around with other products you have. The way I started diluting shampoo was use a dime sized drop in my hands, lather it up, and then kind of "press" the lather into my scalp and massage it in. If I needed more, I'd use more to get the scalp coverage I wanted. See what happens if you use your regular conditioner as a "deep treatment" too, where you leave it in for 3 or 5 minutes. You can play around tons with your usual products to see if you get noticeably better or worse results with alternate techniques. As you play around, you'll likely find that some techniques work well for you, and others don't seem to do much. These kind of product use patterns can offer hints about hair type.