PDA

View Full Version : How Long on average?

DebieT
December 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM
My length is layered, I have been growing out a shaved head (challenge I had with my son and he won). My avatar is my current length. I am curious how long it will take to get to below the shoulder or bra strap. Yes I am impatient but realistic and would like to have a goal to look forward to. All the elegant buns and braids are making me envious!

Arwenlily
December 30th, 2013, 03:34 PM
What I've heard is that you can grown between 1/2 inch to 1 inch per month. It took me 5 months to go from SL to APL. I'm hoping to get to BSL by summer.

torrilin
December 30th, 2013, 04:32 PM
There isn't really an average time. Some people have hair that grows less than 1/4" per month. Others have hair that grows over 1" per month. Some people prefer a very blunt hemline, and wouldn't count their hair as "at BSL" until all the bits that could grow that long had. Others like layered cuts and would count the second their hair brushed the top of their bra strap. Some women are very fussy about bra fit and have the band horizontal around their chest, no dragging low or riding up. Others aren't so fussy, so their BSL varies based on bra. Some women count it as being BSL when their hair touches the top edge of the strap, others it has to pass the bottom...

There isn't a typical length for BSL either :D. I have a longish torso, and I count BSL as the bottom of the bra strap, but I'm fussy about bra fit... so BSL on me is 27" or so, and it will look like BSL from about 25" to past 30". There are a fair few posters here who hit WAIST at 27". And if I'm remembering right, there's at least a few who are just hitting BSL or mid back around 29".

(and well, mid back is similarly fuzzy, with the added bonus of if you don't wear a bra there's not really much of a marker...)

To me long hair is more of a process than a grow til you hit goal thing. Don't cut it, don't do stuff that pisses it off or damages it, and eventually you'll find where "enough" is and have a suitable library of hairstyles you like. But it's not like your hair will magically stop growing then... that doesn't stop until you're dead :D. So even after you find "enough" you can always change your mind.

diddiedaisy
December 30th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Hi, my hair is the same length as yours and I'm initially aiming for apl with an eventual bsl. I dyed my hair 6 weeks ago and it has grown 1cm. Not good. I would say mine grows unusually slow though. I have started using fast shampoo and msm in the hopes it might speed things up, I am also pondering on taking biotin. Start measuring every month then you will be able to estimate how long it will take. Good luck!!

DebieT
December 30th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone - I will leave it alone and continue to stay out of the salon and just go from there. I started a hair diary and will take monthly pictures (have a horizontal striped shirt that is perfect for it) to keep me motivated.