PDA

View Full Version : Tuck behind ears or not?

Tudor Dream
December 30th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I always tuck my hair behind my ears. It feels much better like that and I think it looks better too as I have a center part and if it's not behind my ears it makes my face look really long especially if I don't have bangs. But, looking at photos in Google I cannot find a single celebrity photo with her hair tucked completely behind her ears (unless she has an updo). I was trying on hairstyles with one of those online virtual tool thingies and it was the same thing. All the long hairstyles were worn loose in front of the ears.

Is it really that awful to tuck it? Is it old-fashioned or childish or something? Googling the question comes up with places where women confess they tuck their hair behind their ears but only when they are alone and no one can see, as though it were a really bad thing to do!

Chromis
December 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I always tuck my hair behind my ears and think nothing of it. It would bug me to have my ears pinned by my hair or to have my hair falling into my face!

winship2
December 30th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Tuck, for sure! It's necessary for management, and also improves my (long) face shape. Plus, I always have my ears, even when I don't have pins :)

Foxylocks
December 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Trust me, there is nothing wrong with tucking your hair behind your ears. I do it all time, as do many people. You don't have to model yourself after the actions of celebrities. Not really sure why people "confess" to tucking their hair; there is no reason for shame.

I always tuck my hair behind my ears. It feels much better like that and I think it looks better too as I have a center part and if it's not behind my ears it makes my face look really long especially if I don't have bangs. But, looking at photos in Google I cannot find a single celebrity photo with her hair tucked completely behind her ears (unless she has an updo). I was trying on hairstyles with one of those online virtual tool thingies and it was the same thing. All the long hairstyles were worn loose in front of the ears.

Is it really that awful to tuck it? Is it old-fashioned or childish or something? Googling the question comes up with places where women confess they tuck their hair behind their ears but only when they are alone and no one can see, as though it were a really bad thing to do!

martyna_22
December 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I do it all the time, even though I shouldn't - my face is round and it looks bad. Yet I do it all the time anyway. Many people do, I think it's ok to do so :)

jacqueline101
December 30th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I tuck mine all the time I have to be careful due to my ear piercings. My hair has tangled in the backs before. I do like the way my hair looks tucked behind my ears and it makes my face look better. Like others said it does help with holding hair out of the way.

MidnightSunlite
December 30th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I always tuck. In the long run it cause problems when I want to untuck because my hair will be forever "looped" as if it is tucked and it just sticks out away from my face. it's annoying. :(

Tudor Dream
December 30th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I don't feel so weird now! I wonder why photographers think that it looks better to have all the hair in front of the ears? If you type "long hair" into Google and then choose images it comes up with a page of photos of beautiful hair and barely an ear is visible!

Weewah
December 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
When I style my hair I usually make it so it frames my face nicely without being tucked behind my ears. I keep my bangs about halfway down my face length so it kinda sweeps across. I just thinks this looks better for my face bc my forehead is kinda big. If you like how you look with your hair tucked behind your ears then keep doing it:) It's all about what makes you feel the most confident.

shutterpillar
December 30th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I used to do it when I was a child and teenager, but have lately fallen out of the habit in order to not mess up my wave pattern. If I tuck it behind my ear, then my hair will take the form of my ear and that tends to bother me a little. I have my hair put up most of the time anyway, so it's not really that big of a deal to me.

HOWEVER. You should never feel like you should not be able to do something with your hair just because the majority of celebrities don't do it. If you like it and it makes you comfortable, that's all that matters.

Tudor Dream
December 30th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I don't feel so weird now! I wonder why photographers think that it looks better to have all the hair in front of the ears? If you type "long hair" into Google and then choose images it comes up with a page of photos of beautiful hair and barely an ear is visible!

Anje
December 30th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Celebrities make their money off looking pretty. If you have to do anything else with your life other than be a decoration, do what is most practical and desirable to you with your hair, not what the celebrities do.

HylianGirl
December 30th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Trust me, there is nothing wrong with tucking your hair behind your ears. I do it all time, as do many people. You don't have to model yourself after the actions of celebrities. Not really sure why people "confess" to tucking their hair; there is no reason for shame.

Celebrities make their money off looking pretty. If you have to do anything else with your life other than be a decoration, do what is most practical and desirable to you with your hair, not what the celebrities do.

You two took the words right out of my mouth (or should i say fingers?). There's nothing wrong with doing that and there's no reason to think there's anything wrong with doing that. And we should never compare what we do in our lifes to celebrities. Besides, celebrities do all the stuff we do when cameras aren't looking.

Tudor Dream
December 31st, 2013, 02:07 PM
[...] Besides, celebrities do all the stuff we do when cameras aren't looking.

Hehe! That's right!

I didn't mean to suggest that I look at what celebrities do as a guide to what I should do. (I'd have a very different lifestyle if that were the case!) But when looking at all the photos on Google there is a definite pattern and the stylists, photographers, agents, models, actors or singers for some reason decided that the hair looked better not tucked behind the ears and I'm really curious as to why. I think it looks great tucked, depending on the face and the hair of course.

spidermom
December 31st, 2013, 02:13 PM
I do it, too, mainly because it's a quick way to get hair away from my face for things like eating. If I were posing for a picture, though, I wouldn't tuck first.

My mother hated it. She'd always tell me to stop it and said something really insulting that I mercifully cannot remember now.

heidi w.
December 31st, 2013, 02:29 PM
You might consider a side part which looks lovely on most women. And I suggest wearing hair contained somehow: braid or bun.
heidi w.

ExpectoPatronum
December 31st, 2013, 04:11 PM
When I don't have bangs, my hair is tucked behind my ears. I have bangs now so it all just flows free and wild now lol.

Tudor Dream
December 31st, 2013, 05:44 PM
You might consider a side part which looks lovely on most women. And I suggest wearing hair contained somehow: braid or bun.
heidi w.

I find that a side part doesn't look quite as good on me as a center part. I wish it did because my hair would much rather part at the side but it makes me look quite severe whereas the center part looks softer and younger too, I think. Center parts look beautiful on other women; it just doesn't look right on me.

I do usually braid my hair or do something to keep it tied back or it will get in the way plus I'll have a bird's nest to untangle before bed! I love how it looks when tied up completely but I can't seem to make a bun stay in place and there's too much hair for those metal clips to hold (plus that must surely damage the hair).

cathair
December 31st, 2013, 06:32 PM
I used to do it when I was a child and teenager, but have lately fallen out of the habit in order to not mess up my wave pattern. If I tuck it behind my ear, then my hair will take the form of my ear and that tends to bother me a little. I have my hair put up most of the time anyway, so it's not really that big of a deal to me.

HOWEVER. You should never feel like you should not be able to do something with your hair just because the majority of celebrities don't do it. If you like it and it makes you comfortable, that's all that matters.

I'm he other way round. I used to not tuck my hair behind my ears as a teenager because I used to like the security of hiding behind my hair and people not being able to see my face. Now I enjoy it being out of my way. It does create a new wave patten from my forehead to my ear, so it's straighter at the top, but it doesn't bother me much. In fact I kind of like it.

RegretsHerCut
December 31st, 2013, 06:32 PM
Nikki Reed
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvkwMl1OepiFkpJsTxEgdOtm40YdPjT BL4cLFntmnNYY1FFpWWKA

Rachel Bislon
http://www.cutehumanhairlacewig.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Rachel.jpg

Mila Kunis
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/04/06/article-2304821-191BE04D000005DC-479_634x814.jpg

Rock it ;)

swearnsue
December 31st, 2013, 06:35 PM
Maybe the celebrities that have their hair untucked are hiding ugly or deformed ears. Also face lift scars are just in front of the ears so maybe they're hiding some plastic surgery.

Meow. I know. I just hate it when young women feel that they have to compare themselves to f'n celebrities that usually have no talent and photos are photoshopped anyway.

So, tuck away Sister!

Caldonia Sun
December 31st, 2013, 07:59 PM
Tuck. Always have, probably always will.

Naiadryade
January 1st, 2014, 12:01 AM
I typically tuck and untuck many times each day. It's largely a temperature regulation thing for me--whether my hair is bunned, braided or loose, covering or uncovering the ears makes a big difference. Of course there's also getting it out of my face for eating, brushing teeth etc. if I happen to have it down. No big deal either way!

I always tuck. In the long run it cause problems when I want to untuck because my hair will be forever "looped" as if it is tucked and it just sticks out away from my face. it's annoying. :(

I used to do it when I was a child and teenager, but have lately fallen out of the habit in order to not mess up my wave pattern. If I tuck it behind my ear, then my hair will take the form of my ear and that tends to bother me a little.

I actually really like the wave created by the ear tuck! I think it frames my face really nicely. Perhaps because I'm 2a it doesn't look out of place with my wave pattern. I've purposefully tucked my hair behind my ears while it is drying often since I was a kid because I like the shape it makes around my face when it's then untucked. The shape even helps keep it out of the way of my mouth a bit without having to tuck it in the moment!

Tini'sNewHair
January 1st, 2014, 02:42 AM
Yeah celebrities do it to, its hard to find pictures like that because most of their photos are done when they are perfectly done up and their hair is PROFESSIONALY done up in such a way that it frames their faces so it dosnt go in their eyes :)

woolyleprechaun
January 1st, 2014, 03:01 AM
I have a rather low forehead, so if I didn't tuck I'd never see ;)
To be fair, I very rarely wear my hair down anyway, and when I do I clip a bit out of my face.