PDA

View Full Version : Knee Length and longer hairstyle query

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Dear Ladies - How do you deal with the issue of your ends self-braiding? I know about the trick of winding your partially finished braid around your neck but was curious to see how you dealt with it.

Or, if braiding isn't your thing, what is your go to hairstyle? What do you use to secure it?

Do you think ultra long hair is more easily dealt with by bunning vs. braiding? Thanks for your input!

Chromis
December 30th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I keep smoothing down the sections every couple of passes. I smooth every pass the first few inches though. I don't normally wear braids during the day, but I do one every night to sleep. During the day my go to is a log roll held with a large Maximas in the winter. In not-hat weather I do various other buns with sticks and forks like nautilus buns, lazy wraps, cinnabuns and so on too.

My braids are always messy at the nape, so if I make a braid in the morning I will still bun it because otherwise it looks frizzy and unkempt by midday. The braided nautilus in particular is a great style though, especially for working out! I think buns are easier in general but I am a pretty slow braider.

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your reply, Chromis!

ladyfey
December 30th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I also run my hand down each section as I braid, to keep them separate. I almost always wear my hair in a braided bun, they stay better than unbraided buns for me.

Chromis
December 30th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hah, and thanks to the other thread, I remembered the other braided style I love! The Ellingwoman also holds like a rock and looks really nice. I saw you mention not liking the weight all in one spot and I find that the Ellingwoman is particularly nice for weight distribution.

While I am at it, my favourite style of all I can't do right now. I really love the false crown braid (the real thing is very hard for me to do neatly and tends to hurt my scalp). Right now it ends at one and a half times around my head. If I had more length, I'd be able to do it again going twice around or making a bun at the base, but right now the end of my braid is not long enough for that to not look silly. It also receives the highest number of compliments and was really great for air travel since there is no tail to lie on or bump on the headrest.

HeavenlyTresses
December 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Like Chromis I smooth out each section as I braid down. I stop about halfway down to use a wide tooth comb to keep out any tangles. When it get to the point I can't reach then I also wrap it around my neck or hold under my arm to finish to the end. I do have to take care to position it straight so the braid doesn't twist as I finish it. I can't wear buns for any length of time anymore as they are too heavy. When I do put it up I need to use buns that can spread out the weight like an infinity but I can only keep them in for an hour or so before I get a nasty headache.

I think it is definitely easier to keep it detangled when it is braided or bunned but I wear mine down most of the time.

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I also run my hand down each section as I braid, to keep them separate. I almost always wear my hair in a braided bun, they stay better than unbraided buns for me.

Thanks for your reply, ladyfey, but I'm confused. When you say that you run your hand down each section as you braid, do you mean all the way down to the end of your considerable length? I would imagine so but was curious how you managed it, given your very, very long hair. Or do you do the around the neck thingie and then proceed to separate the strands of your braid? I'm just having a difficult time imagining how one deals with keeping the strands separate with ultra long hair, like yours. Thanks!

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Thank you for the additional info, Chromis. I love faux braided crown braids and wear them often. The Ellingwoman braid is very unusual, to say the least, but not something that appeals to me personally.

Heavenly Tresses, thanks for your reply. You must be a very patient soul to wear your hair down..but I understand the heavy bun problem. You might as well be comfortable!

HeavenlyTresses
December 30th, 2013, 04:40 PM
It does require a lot of patience but it can be very relaxing to me to sit and work the tangles out. Of course there can be days where it feels like a giant dreadlock and I want to cry but it's nothing a little oil and time can't fix. I maintain my length at ankle and with the hemline getting thicker there is more weight. Sometimes I regret not being able to do the buns anymore but I do like the tassle of my braid bumping against my calves :)

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Of course I do like the tassle of my braid bumping against my calves :)

That must be a very satisfying feeling, HeavenlyTresses!

gossamer
December 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Dear Ladies - How do you deal with the issue of your ends self-braiding? I know about the trick of winding your partially finished braid around your neck but was curious to see how you dealt with it.

Or, if braiding isn't your thing, what is your go to hairstyle? What do you use to secure it?

Do you think ultra long hair is more easily dealt with by bunning vs. braiding? Thanks for your input!

1) Once I separate my hair into three strands, I often pause while braiding to separate them out again. Maybe after every second or third pass? Otherwise backbraid tangles are a huge problem for me. I rarely do more than a simple english braid anymore because of the damage caused by too much tangling if I attempt to do a french braid.

As the length gets too long for my arms to reach, I pull the finished braid over my shoulder, where the weight holds it as I finish braiding the remaining length. I don't braid really tightly, so I think that's also why the braided section stays over my shoulder.

I braid every night before bed, but I often bun instead during the day.

2) My go to style is a lazy wrap bun held with two sticks or a small fork. A close second is a nautilus bun, followed by a fake crown braid.

3) Braiding leads to a more compact hairstyle. It keeps my hair out of the way better than a simple bun does. I do both, but the bun takes ~30 seconds and a braid takes ~3 minutes, so it often comes down to time. (Although I too find the braid tassel brushing against my calves a fascinating thing, I almost always bun my braid once it's done if that's my daytime style. Otherwise it's too much in the way.)

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Gossamer, for sharing your routine. It seems buns win over braiding when it comes to super lengths. Very understandable, given the circumstances.

trolleypup
December 31st, 2013, 12:37 AM

My lazy bun. No twisting, just 2 figure 8s around the hairstick, and 2.5 turns wrapped under to secure. I can't remember if I demonstrated it when I saw you. Self secured, usually stays up for an hour or more.

Definitely bunning. No way I could braid my hair in 10 - 15 seconds.

truepeacenik
December 31st, 2013, 12:41 AM
I'm only at thumb tip length and I've needed to control back braiding for a good while now.
So just "kind of freakishly long" has the issue, too.

Quixii
December 31st, 2013, 01:48 AM
I'm not quite there yet, but I definitely think bunning is easier than braiding. Especially with the curls that don't really like to be separated, things that keep my hair in one piece work better. I've recently been learning some buns that don't require twisting, separating, or braiding. Definitely the easiest thing for my hair. Plus, bunning is much quicker.

Madora
December 31st, 2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your replies, Trolleypup, Truepeacenik and Quixii! Looks like bunning for the win! I've really enjoyed all your responses as I never knew anyone with knee length and have only seen 4 people with it in real life...and was too shy to do anything but admire their wondrous hair.

Schnee
January 1st, 2014, 04:52 AM
I do prefer braides buns since they hold better and tend to look decievingly intricate. As with most of the others, I also have to detangle when braiding otherwise the ends becomes a mess! At home I wear braid or bun, but I'll almost always bun the braid when I go out since I don't like the attention my braid tends to get. If I want to show length, but not all my length I do a knot at the base secured with small sticks of my head with a long tassel hanging. I'm never bothered by the weight of my hair, unless the updo pulls on hair or is unbalanced.

My go to christmas updo this time was actually a twice braided english braid. Very easy and apparantly looked very impressive. Just divide hair in three sctions and braid. Braid the braids and you've got a nice looking braid that is considerably shorter than a single braid. :)

Amapola
January 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM
I hope it's OK for me to respond. Of course my length is no where near the others. However.... I am a professional braider. (Horsehair.) I often have to braid very long hair, and I am generally doing at least 8 strand braids, sometimes as many as 25. This is what helps me personally to keep the ends from turning into an opposite braid: I make sure I have enough room for the braided parts to not touch anything: the floor, a wall etc. Then I use my hands turned in such a way to keep the strands separated as far as possible from each other, at the top. So for a 3-strand I would hold the two strands I've got in the hands, in the palms of my hands, to keep each part as far away as possible from the other parts. Yeah, it would take practice. What happens when I do this is the ends of the parts I'm using sort of have room to swing around each other and don't tend to catch on each other so much.

My hair is only tailbone, so when I braid my own hair I'm not facing the same issues as the others... but even so, because I know from my daily work to hold the top of the parts separated as much as I can, I'm not getting the opposite braid thing (except when I'm very tired and not paying attention). When I start, I lean backwards, so my ends have more room and don't brush up against my body.

I sure hope that makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining things.

Madora
January 1st, 2014, 09:40 AM
I do prefer braides buns since they hold better and tend to look decievingly intricate. As with most of the others, I also have to detangle when braiding otherwise the ends becomes a mess! At home I wear braid or bun, but I'll almost always bun the braid when I go out since I don't like the attention my braid tends to get. If I want to show length, but not all my length I do a knot at the base secured with small sticks of my head with a long tassel hanging. I'm never bothered by the weight of my hair, unless the updo pulls on hair or is unbalanced.

My go to christmas updo this time was actually a twice braided english braid. Very easy and apparantly looked very impressive. Just divide hair in three sctions and braid. Braid the braids and you've got a nice looking braid that is considerably shorter than a single braid. :)

Schnee, I think you're a person after my own heart! I, too, love the "intricate" aspect of a braided do. People often think that you have more hair than you really do with braided buns.

Your Christmas hairstyle must have been very eyecatching! I've done that also, with nine braids braided together. Once I tied the 9 braids in very loose knots down to the ends and was freaked out for a time when a lady kept following me. Turns out she was a fan of long hair and wondered how I'd done the style.

Madora
January 1st, 2014, 09:52 AM
I hope it's OK for me to respond. Of course my length is no where near the others. However.... I am a professional braider. (Horsehair.) I often have to braid very long hair, and I am generally doing at least 8 strand braids, sometimes as many as 25. This is what helps me personally to keep the ends from turning into an opposite braid: I make sure I have enough room for the braided parts to not touch anything: the floor, a wall etc. Then I use my hands turned in such a way to keep the strands separated as far as possible from each other, at the top. So for a 3-strand I would hold the two strands I've got in the hands, in the palms of my hands, to keep each part as far away as possible from the other parts. Yeah, it would take practice. What happens when I do this is the ends of the parts I'm using sort of have room to swing around each other and don't tend to catch on each other so much.

My hair is only tailbone, so when I braid my own hair I'm not facing the same issues as the others... but even so, because I know from my daily work to hold the top of the parts separated as much as I can, I'm not getting the opposite braid thing (except when I'm very tired and not paying attention). When I start, I lean backwards, so my ends have more room and don't brush up against my body.

I sure hope that makes sense. I'm not very good at explaining things.

Thanks for your interesting post, Amapola. It sounds like you would have much more dexterity with braiding being a professional braider. I tried to visualize your technique but must confess while it is easier to braid on something else, doing it on yourself with ultra long hair, is another thing. To be sure you can do an ordinary braid w/o too much trouble...it's just that I love lace accent crown braids and they are a little more difficult. I do envy your expertise...you must have quite a variety of braids to try on your own hair!

Amapola
January 1st, 2014, 10:34 AM
Madora, what you say is absolutely true (it's easier to braid something else, rather than on your own head) so that is why I hesitated and felt maybe it was not appropriate to post.

When I'm doing very intricate braids on myself, it's true that I do have to untangle at every other pass or so and in particular with lace braids.

There are really a lot of braids out there and I've been curious to try them on my own head. I often wonder what an eight strand round braid would look like... but my hair still seems too short to try it out! I keep hoping though. :)

Schnee
January 1st, 2014, 11:07 AM
Amapola, I know that method, but it is harder on own hair and I've got 30+ years experience braiding my own hair. ;) Also, it was until my hair got way past classic it became increasingly difficult to do intricate braids because of tangeling and back braiding. I think the problem is partly length and partly the ends being old, dry and fragile and more prone to tangeling. Actually I think that mid-thigh ot knee is the best length for me regarding updos, buns and braids. :)

Remi
May 3rd, 2015, 08:17 AM
Madora- thank you for this thread. It is not only inspiring but uplifting and informative to those of us growing along right behind you. :blossom:

Madora
May 3rd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Madora- thank you for this thread. It is not only inspiring but uplifting and informative to those of us growing along right behind you. :blossom:
My pleasure, Remi. Isn't it great to have so much practical input?! I love it!

Panth
May 5th, 2015, 03:13 AM
For me it's not an either/or: I wear a braided bun daily. Non-braided buns are not as secure. Non-bunned braids turn to fuzz with nape tangles pretty quickly. I just do as Gossamer does, though my aversion to French braids is as much because I'm very bad at them as the tangling issue.

1) Once I separate my hair into three strands, I often pause while braiding to separate them out again. Maybe after every second or third pass? Otherwise backbraid tangles are a huge problem for me. I rarely do more than a simple english braid anymore because of the damage caused by too much tangling if I attempt to do a french braid.

I can't imagine putting up with Trolleypup's bun that "usually stays up for an hour or more". That would drive me nuts. My braided cinnabun will stay up for all day like a rock, no slippage, no movement, nothing except maybe a little fuzziness if I've been out in the wind. I've even slept in it without destroying it (though it looked a little worse for wear and I don't make a habit of that, since I think it is more damaging to the sides/nape than if I take the braid down to sleep).

gossamer
May 5th, 2015, 07:04 AM
To help illustrate my braiding strategy, I made a video. With hair that's nice and slippery from using a coney conditioner at my last wash, I'm able to avoid major backbraiding by flicking the ends apart as I work with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYqJX9gGb0

Amapola
May 5th, 2015, 08:32 AM
To help illustrate my braiding strategy, I made a video. With hair that's nice and slippery from using a coney conditioner at my last wash, I'm able to avoid major backbraiding by flicking the ends apart as I work with it.

So simple. So fabulous. Thank you, gossamer!

(And with a reply under this, hopefully it will be easier for others to watch. I was having a hard time getting it to full size! :))

MandyBeth
May 5th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Yeah, my youngest daughter has knee-calf length that shows as waist-hip. Braided buns stay up for her. Granted, I'm doing her braids so it's pretty easy. I've braided horse tails and makes for years, so just a lot of practice on not my head.

cat11
May 5th, 2015, 02:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYqJX9gGb0

So pretty! Even the very ends shine when you move them, which doesnt seem to always happen with floor length hair. Bookmarking for when I hopefully get there, in years (if I have the same computer...)

trolleypup
May 6th, 2015, 08:45 PM
I can't imagine putting up with Trolleypup's bun that "usually stays up for an hour or more". That would drive me nuts. My braided cinnabun will stay up for all day like a rock, no slippage, no movement, nothing except maybe a little fuzziness if I've been out in the wind. I've even slept in it without destroying it (though it looked a little worse for wear and I don't make a habit of that, since I think it is more damaging to the sides/nape than if I take the braid down to sleep).
Heh. Depends on what I am doing. Since it is self secured (that last little wrap is tucked under), if there is lot of looking up, it unravels more quickly. On the other hand, if I am spending the day not peering at the tops of things, it can last at least through a full work day. Heck, on my 33 mile hike yesterday I only had to redo it twice (I forgot not only my ponyscrub, but my sunhat...paying for that now). For me...I'm OK with redoing it from time to time because it is so quick...10-15 seconds and no twisting and tension in my hair. And... yes, I like that I can pull the stick and have it free fall, or just enjoy having it down for a little while.

Panth
May 7th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Heh. Depends on what I am doing. Since it is self secured (that last little wrap is tucked under), if there is lot of looking up, it unravels more quickly. On the other hand, if I am spending the day not peering at the tops of things, it can last at least through a full work day. Heck, on my 33 mile hike yesterday I only had to redo it twice (I forgot not only my ponyscrub, but my sunhat...paying for that now). For me...I'm OK with redoing it from time to time because it is so quick...10-15 seconds and no twisting and tension in my hair. And... yes, I like that I can pull the stick and have it free fall, or just enjoy having it down for a little while.

Different things work for different people. Personally, my hair down at this length is irritating and I'm sick of braidwaves (though my braided bun, and my sleep braid, make them a fact of life). Bun drops look super-cool but it's not something I need/want right now. *shrug* It's all YMMV! :flower:

Panth
May 7th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Double post, sorry.

LaBeq
May 7th, 2015, 11:03 AM
So, I'd been thinking of something, and seeing this thread made me think of it again. I make bobbin lace, which is essentially very complicated braiding (a very small, simple piece might use 16 threads, most use a lot more). The threads are wound on bobbins, which hold the threads and searve as handles for twisting them over and under each other. That way, you only have to have the section of thread that you're working with exposed at any given time, so there's no backbraiding or tangling. Would something like that work for hair? Larger bobbins that you could wind hair onto for braiding? My hair's only barely BSL now, so not enough to be worth trying it on. And possibly winding the hair onto the bobbins in the first place would take longer than just braiding and seperating as you go, anyway. I kind of want to try it, though.

Panth
May 7th, 2015, 11:16 AM
So, I'd been thinking of something, and seeing this thread made me think of it again. I make bobbin lace, which is essentially very complicated braiding (a very small, simple piece might use 16 threads, most use a lot more). The threads are wound on bobbins, which hold the threads and searve as handles for twisting them over and under each other. That way, you only have to have the section of thread that you're working with exposed at any given time, so there's no backbraiding or tangling. Would something like that work for hair? Larger bobbins that you could wind hair onto for braiding? My hair's only barely BSL now, so not enough to be worth trying it on. And possibly winding the hair onto the bobbins in the first place would take longer than just braiding and seperating as you go, anyway. I kind of want to try it, though.

My few experiences trying to pincurl and ragcurl TBL+ hair were disasterous - the taper, which is an unavoidable consequence of super-long hair due to the fact that all hair follicles are at different points in their growth cycle to each other, meant that the shorter bits ended up not being incorporated correctly/evenly, creating incredibly nasty tangles (like, multiple multi-strand knots that were only fixable with scissors). I fear that rolling the hair onto bobbins would result in similar problems. You might get away with it with damp or heavily product-coated hair, but that's only a maybe.

Also, IMO, it'd be more effort than actually just combing out the backbraiding when it gets problematic. Yes, backbraiding is annoying, but it's really not that big of an issue in the grand scheme of things.