PDA

View Full Version : Washing brushes and combs

florenonite
March 19th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I really need to wash my brush/comb as they've gotten a bit ... icky, but I can't remember how to do so. Any information?

TIA

ETA: how often should you really do this? (I can't remember when I last did and have even almost stopped brushing my hair because of this, gross, I know, which is why I'm determined to wash them regularly henceforth).

Kirin
March 19th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I usually soak mine in warm water and baby shampoo for about ten minutes, then rinse well.

rhubarbarin
March 19th, 2008, 10:30 AM
What about horn combs? Soap and water okay?

Also, can you use them on wet/producty hair like you would a plastic one?

I just bought one on ebay, it should be here soon.

Elleyena
March 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Does this work for wooden BBB? I actually came to check the site today because one of mine looks icky, and I want to fix it

florenonite
March 19th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I usually soak mine in warm water and baby shampoo for about ten minutes, then rinse well.

Thanks, that's what I'll do.

Kirin
March 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Wood will start to break down if its soaked, so if you have a wood handled BBB, you shouldnt soak it long. I only clean my brush about once a month sometimes once every two months. If it gets ickier before that, i comb out excess hair, and powder it with cornstarch and then rub a regular brush through it, working the cornstarch out then shake it to clean out excess hair oils

girlcat36
March 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Before I wash my BBB, I oil the wood really well, then put liquid soap on the bristles and work it through with a fine tooth comb. Rinse, and dry the wood thoroughly.

Anje
March 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM
My (finished) wood BBB gets shampooed when I start to feel it's getting too yucky. I try to shake it out and dry the wood afterward.

Horn combs don't take too kindly to soaking. What I'd probably do is moisten it, scrub the tines with shampoo and a toothbrush, then rinse and dry it, all as quickly as reasonably possible.

Elleyena
March 20th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks! I'll try this stuff when I clean mine out

Teazel
March 20th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Be careful with soaking wooden-handled BBBs, or using shampoo etc. on them, as they may dry out and split. I used to clean mine by dipping the bristles into very hot water with baking soda dissolved in it, then rinsing well and air-drying with the bristles down.

These days I mostly skip the baking soda, and just use hot water. I'm lazy. :D

walkinglady
March 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
After your brush is cleaned you can help keep it cleaner by cutting a piece of cheesecloth and putting it over the bristles when you brush. It helps collect oil, loose hairs, and lint. I use a fresh piece of cheesecloth each time I brush.

loves2spin
March 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
After your brush is cleaned you can help keep it cleaner by cutting a piece of cheesecloth over the bristles when you brush. It helps collect oil, loose hairs, and lint.

That is a GREAT idea! Thank you!

aprilmay
March 20th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I am more lazy than you! I pull the wads of hair out about once a week and that is pretty much it. No time for brush washing these days!

Elleyena
March 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM
thank you for the tips! My brushes are all clean now :D

Sherri
March 21st, 2008, 05:01 PM
What about a Lady catherine brush? It seems to be made of plastic and the bristols are nylon i believe? So would a good soak work for that kind of brush?

JuneBride
September 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Plastic Wide tooth combs are the way to go! (for any hair type)

zen_oven
September 26th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I just use a little of the clarifying shampoo I keep around for the few times a year I clarify. With a BBB I wet the bristles, work a little shampoo in, rinse well and let dry. Same with a comb--I use a wooden one so I don't soak it, I just wash it. Seems to work just fine.

Marika
September 27th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I have never washed my brush or comb!:o I'm really lazy to wash my makeup brushes too even though I just bought some washing liquid especially for makeup brushes. I don't actually use brush that often but I *promise* to wash my comb when I get home!:D