PDA

View Full Version : How do i get the banana\avocado mask out of my hair?

lole18
December 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I tried an avocado\banana DIY and liked it, i co-wash and finger comb but it left little white threads\dots that kinda look like dandruff and are hard to get out! I don't want to brush or use a comb i have curly hair :( what can i do? I used a blender to mix it! Didn't even mash it using a fork so there were no chunks!

Johannah
December 30th, 2013, 12:55 PM
'How do I get the banana/avocado mask out of my hair?' Out of experience: you don't :p

I've done that once and I will NEVER EVER do that again!! I'd say, wash it again. Or when it's dry, you can try to blowdry your hair? :p

lole18
December 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM
'How do I get the banana/avocado mask out of my hair?' Out of experience: you don't :p

I've done that once and I will NEVER EVER do that again!! I'd say, wash it again. Or when it's dry, you can try to blowdry your hair? :p

LOL noo! I don't want to blow dry it it'll turn frizzy! I guess i'll have to rewash it.. I want to do the treatment again but i want to avoid this problem :rolleyes: lets hope i find a solution:p

sarahthegemini
December 30th, 2013, 01:07 PM
What are the benefits of this particular mask?

Anje
December 30th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Ewwwwwwww, banana is notorious around here! For future reference, I understand that banana babyfood is preferred.

I haven't had to deal with it, but I think what I'd try is saturating your hair with conditioner, then detangling in the shower while your hair is lubed up with condish. Hopefully that will remove some of the strings....

Johannah
December 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
LOL noo! I don't want to blow dry it it'll turn frizzy! I guess i'll have to rewash it.. I want to do the treatment again but i want to avoid this problem :rolleyes: lets hope i find a solution:p

You can try to blowdry the banana out, then use conditioner and try to comb it out as Anje says/wash it. Must work, no? :P If you wash it afterwards, your hair won't turn frizzy, right?

And I'm afraid there's no solution for this. I don't know one person who did this, and could get the banana out easily :P You can try avocado oil, though. It works great for me, maybe for you too! :o

sumidha
December 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I only made that mistake once. Now, food items do not go on my hair, period. I really don't think there's any benefit from a banana that you couldn't get from other things that are way easier to wash out of your hair.

I rinsed and rinsed, and soaked with conditioner, and combed and rinsed and conditioned and combed... It probably took forty minutes in the shower, and I was seriously concerned that that sticky *&%$ was not ever going to come out of my hair. Probably my least successful hair experiment ever, lol.

martyna_22
December 31st, 2013, 12:56 PM
Haha, I know that feeling. I did it maybe 3 months back?... I'm not doing it anymore, and I had to rewash. It's the best way to get it out.

kidari
January 1st, 2014, 03:35 AM
I've never tried banana before but I have tried an avocado and oil mask. I normally like avocados but in my hair... it smelled so bad and it was extremely difficult to remove. I ended up shampooing out the mask, which negated the whole thing since I pretty much shampooed twice in less then a 2 hour period. Now I just add avocado oils to my mix. No more avocados for me.

ravenreed
January 1st, 2014, 03:38 AM
I did the banana thing once, and I think I ended up combing it out with a fine toothed comb. After that, I used banana baby food and it worked quite nicely.

Naiadryade
January 2nd, 2014, 02:07 AM
I made the banana mistake. So when I tried avocado, I first put it through a blender with some extra oils and then strained it through a fine mesh sieve. The resulting paste was very nice for my hair and was no problem to wash out. I still haven't gotten up the guts to try this with banana, because the one time with banana was such a disaster, but it might work the same.

apspinsyarns
March 6th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Oh I never thought to try with banana baby food! So resourceful.

lapushka
March 6th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Oh I never thought to try with banana baby food! So resourceful.

Yes, but even then I wouldn't recommend it. Try any DIY you like (an SMT would be much better), but please don't use banana or avocado. It's not the best thing to do.

Katia_k
March 6th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Okay, I've gotta speak up here and say that I used to DT with banana and avocado exclusively, and I don't think I ever had a problem...maybe it was the bananas or something. I also blended that stuff until it was literally the consistency of lotion. My hair really really loved it...but I'm also wavy/curly, so maybe there just weren't as many places for banana to get stuck.

Not invalidating anyone's experiences here at all, just speaking up as one person this didn't go horribly wrong for.

lapushka
March 7th, 2017, 05:53 AM
I tried it once, and once only. Perfectly blended, but it is so slimy and chunky still that it "sticks" to your hair; stuck to mine. It was hard to get out. I didn't use avocado, just the banana. Enough for me!

antler_tines
March 7th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Maybe you could try using an extra ripe banana that has been frozen. They get really mushy then without the starchy texture. I don't have experience with putting banana in my hair, this is just a thought. I always freeze my over ripe bananas to use in banana bread later. The texture once thawed is quite different than fresh banana, probably more similar to baby food.

Hairkay
March 7th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Okay, I've gotta speak up here and say that I used to DT with banana and avocado exclusively, and I don't think I ever had a problem...maybe it was the bananas or something. I also blended that stuff until it was literally the consistency of lotion. My hair really really loved it...but I'm also wavy/curly, so maybe there just weren't as many places for banana to get stuck.

Not invalidating anyone's experiences here at all, just speaking up as one person this didn't go horribly wrong for.

I'm seconding the banana (extra ripe) once it's been blended extra smooth and sieved. I've had good experiences with it. The only time I had a hard time was when the banana wasn't as ripe. That required combing my hair with a fine tooth comb after I'd done my best to wash off the tiny banana bits and dried off my hair. I also have great experience using banana baby food and I also use the mango baby food one sometimes. SMT is not suitable for me. I've tried avocado once and it worked out fine for me.

Anje
March 7th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Using a super-ripe banana makes sense to me, where the texture goes from dry to kinda wet even before you blend it. I haven't been brave enough to try it, but I'm not ruling it out for when my hair is long enough to bother with treatments again.

Milady_DeWinter
March 8th, 2017, 04:42 AM
I had the same problem just with avocado... Won't try it again! I think that washing it over and over would be the better solution :/