PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Johannah
December 30th, 2013, 12:02 PM
So I know nobody can make a decision for me, but still I'm going to make a thread about this. I'm really getting crazy :')

So 2.5 years ago I cut layers from about chin length, maybe a bit longer. I hated them straight away. I've been growing them out ever since. I'm a 1c and when I stretch my hair I'm at waist length. Through years of growing and cutting the longest layer, my hair became sort of a mix between ugly layers and some sort of a deeper U-shape. I'm not 100% sure (it's really hard to measure) but I guess I am 2 of 3" away from having no layers anymore. I am dying for having a blunt hemline, I'm seriously in love with it :p So now I'm thinking about cutting my hair (with Feye's) to a blunt hemline/a soft U-shape. It also would be easier to measure my hair and see my growrate.

Here's the thing: I started the "wear your hair up challenge" and I'm over 100 days, and it made a massive change for my hair! I almost got no split ends anymore (I can't believe!). In the past when I didn't wear my hair up, I needed to go to the hairdresser a lot because of breakage. Right now it's easy to do some updo's because of the deep U-shape I have right now, but what will happen when I have a blunt hemline? I keep on hearing people complaining about updo's, because it makes it hard to tuck in the ends. And offcourse I really don't like to loose some length (again). It's demotivating because my hair almost didn't grow in overall length because of the layers.

What would you do? :( Any pep-talk? :rolleyes:

Johannah
December 30th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Picture:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ce2160.jpg

Crumpet
December 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Difficult to say. I'm also growing out layers but I'm not as close to loosing them as you are. Why not just take about 0.5 off each month for the next few months? Micro-trimming is easy and it won't be such a shock to you to loose a few inches when you do your updos. You'll also be able to figure out how your hair deals with blunter and blunter cuts.

ETA: your hair is gorgeous by the way!!

Johannah
December 30th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Difficult to say. I'm also growing out layers but I'm not as close to loosing them as you are. Why not just take about 0.5 off each month for the next few months? Micro-trimming is easy and it won't be such a shock to you to loose a few inches when you do your updos. You'll also be able to figure out how your hair deals with blunter and blunter cuts.

ETA: your hair is gorgeous by the way!!

Aww, thanks! I rather like to get rid of it once and have a bit of a shock, though. But you got a great point about figuring out if updo's work!

martyna_22
December 30th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! :)
I'd probably trim half of the length you want to chop off, and see if I liked it. If I didn't, I'd chop off the rest. My advice would be to take things slow - don't do anything you might regret. And why not make this trim count? You might do your next one 2-3 months from now and you'll lose less length this way in the end.

Edit:
I hadn't read the previous reply until after I posted, so it turns out I'm not the only person thinking that ;)

afu
December 30th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I know how you feel, I cut from fairy tale to blunt and while I prefer how it looks when down it is definitely much more awkward when Bunning. I would keep a shallow u shape if I where you to keep the best of both worlds

spidermom
December 30th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Keep growing. You're wearing it up anyway; the way it looks when loose won't matter much.

LauraLongLocks
December 30th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I'm with spidermom. No need to cut it unless there is damage. At most, I would take 1/2 to 1 inch every six months until you get a softer U-shape hemline.

lapushka
December 30th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I would grow your last layer past waist first, so you can gradually cut back, and keep having hair past waist. It's going to be easier for updos that way because of the longer length.

Madora
December 31st, 2013, 09:17 AM
I've had fairytale ends and a blunt hemline. While it may be easier to tuck in ends with the former, you can successfully create updos with a blunt hemline. It's how you handle the ends that solves the problem.

While I don't know if my method would work on buns that are not braided, I found a blunt hemline was no problem with my double braided bun.
The thing to keep in mind is to NOT braid all the way to the ends. Braid about 3/4ths the way down, then comb the remaining hair, divide it in half and twist it once, then tuck the twisted hair under the bun coil and pin with hairpins. By not braiding all the way to the end, you're not ending up with a braid with a stubby end that is hard to tuck in. In effect, your braid resembles a sort of dimunition...like this >>>>>------. It is much easier tucking in the ------ (unbraided hair) than it would be if you braided all the way to the end.