PDA

View Full Version : do 'cones cause more shedding?

bryana
December 30th, 2013, 10:17 AM
i'm really trying to phase out all 'cones for the year 2014 :-) It's been about 3 weeks completely cone free and although my hair is looking a little frizzed out at the ends, I have noticed less shedding. Is this a coincidence or have others noticed the same?

Mizumi
December 30th, 2013, 10:50 AM
It depends. If you used to put cones on scalp, it's possible since cones blocks scalp, so follicles may get weaker then. If we talk about cones used on ends only, I have never heard that it would do anything to scalp.

spidermom
December 30th, 2013, 11:04 AM
My opinion: Coincidence.

My reasoning: Hair has roots and goes through a cycle of resting (no growth), during which time the root shrinks. Only then does hair shed out.

ExpectoPatronum
December 30th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Maybe it's just a result of changing up your routine? Every time I change mine, my shedding usually lessens a bit for a bit before it starts back up again.

sarahthegemini
December 30th, 2013, 01:48 PM
When I switched from cones to cone-free, my shedding stayed the same.

DweamGoiL
December 30th, 2013, 02:58 PM
This coming from a person who does not like using cones; I also think it's coincidence. I do think however, you may go through an adjustment period where your hair will look worse before looking better.

Immera
December 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
I had more shedding trying to get off cones because my hair was harder to comb. So I went back to cones for the slip.

martyna_22
December 30th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I'd say coincidence as well, unless you herdly ever clarify and use a ton of cones directly on your scalp.

Firefox7275
December 30th, 2013, 05:19 PM
i'm really trying to phase out all 'cones for the year 2014 :-) It's been about 3 weeks completely cone free and although my hair is looking a little frizzed out at the ends, I have noticed less shedding. Is this a coincidence or have others noticed the same?

Silicones can trigger acne in some do its quite possible they could cause other skin problems like shedding if you are susceptible. Equally the issue could be another ingredient or a coincidence.

melusine963
December 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I never noticed any change in shedding when I switched from cones to no cones. That said, after ditching cones but not yet discovering coconut oil, I used to tear out a lot more hair while detangling.