PDA

View Full Version : Awkward bun stage..grr

ProverbsGirl
December 30th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Sorry..momentary rant.
My hair is right at BSL..I'm so glad it is finally getting to a length I am comfortable with. No, it is no where near my endgoal, but it is finally long enough I'm comfortable until it gets longer..
Any who...My issue. It is to the point that my past go to buns and updo's are not working anymore. Now what? It isn't long enough for me to do some of the longer updo's.
Back to youtube, Google and my bathroom mirror to find some new do's.

GoddesJourney
December 30th, 2013, 07:23 AM
BSL is where my hair finally stays in a standard bun. It's also a great length for braiding and tucked french braids for people with finer hair. It's also a good length for that pinless bun thing. I don't know what it's called but you wrap your hair like a standard bun and then (while holding the end to maintain control) part the hair above it and tuck the bun similar to a Gibson tuck. It's a cute style, clever and convenient for when you don't have pins or elastics or pencils. I learned that from a long haired girl in high school. She put it up in class like that one day when her hair tie broke and a couple of us had questions ... :)

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 08:09 AM
You might like to experiment with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

And although it has been a number of years since I had short hair, maybe you could try this: Mini bun with braid accents:

1 Detangle all hair and comb away from face
2 Make a horizontal part from the top of one ear, across the back of the head, to the top of the other ear
3 Take all the hair above the part, comb out gently, divide in two sections
4 Take each sections and loosely wind one around the other to the end
5 Take the twisted section you just made and holding it flat against your scalp, make a coil, pinning with hairpins as you go. Tuck in ends
6 Take remaining hair, divide in two sections
7 Take one section and loosely braid it.
8 Take braid you just made and wind it clockwise around the bun
9 Loosely braid the remaining hair and wind it counterclockwise around bun. Tuck in ends

Voila: one mini bun with braided accents

Tip for #7 and 9: Instead of standing erect, braid with head down. This helps you braid closer to the bun.

Good luck!

ProverbsGirl
December 30th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will look them up and give them a try. :)

Wildcat Diva
December 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I dunno how thick your hair is, but if it's thick, you might try sectioning. That's where you leave the bottom third of your hair out of your bun, so it's not so hard to make the bun due to thickness. Then you take the bottom third of your hair in half, then wind each half around the stem of your bun to finish. (Or you could braid it and wind the braid around the outside of the bun and use amish pins to secure the braid. Hope that is clear.

ETA: maybe this Cameo bun tutorial can demonstrate what I'm saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYDptMnuWxw

lapushka
December 30th, 2013, 07:00 PM
If a pencil bun no longer works, maybe try a lazy wrap bun. Those should start to work just about now for iis; if you're in the iiis you might have to wait a little longer.