PDA

View Full Version : A quick curly question! (Pic inside)

daredevil14
December 30th, 2013, 03:22 AM
For curlies and wavies, should all the hair simply "go together"? To illustrate what I mean, I am posting a pic of my curls here:

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/6952/73mc.jpg

Some may call it a loss of definition, it's natural and has nothing to do with unhealthy hair, porosity or a rough feel. When my curls are fully wet and saturated with a conditioner, they will feel smooth but some small "lines" of hair will simply revenge and jump of the whole strand, is this natural? (Some areas are rougher than the others and more hair therefore will "jump"). While my hair is dry (as you can see above), the "revenging hair" will be more, does it mean that my hair is porous or unhealthy?

Quixii
December 30th, 2013, 03:59 AM
You mean the hairs that refuse to "play nice" and commit to a curl, so they just kinda squiggle out in the middle of no where? I assume that's natural. Happens to me too.

Aingeal
December 30th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Totally natural. If you want better clumping, try plopping when you get out of the shower.

Wisé
December 30th, 2013, 06:37 AM
I don't think it's damage if your hair feels soft.
Maybe it's a styling issue?
I noticed that I'm more prone to those, depending of my usage of leave-in conditioner and gel. Maybe you could just try different combinations of those and ways to dry your hair (Plopping, air dry, diffuse, turban, super soaker).

If your still concerned about the health, try the following:
1. Take one hair you have already shed
2. gently start stretching it
3. If you reach about 20% farther than its original length (take or give some) without it snapping, then your hair has most likely enough moisture. If not -> more conditioning (beware! no protein until your hair is moisturized)
4. Loosen your grip
5. If the hair shrinks back to nearly its former length, it has enough protein. If not -> try a protein treatment or products with proteins

This method is not perfect but shows if you have great deficiency in one of those fields.

PrincessIdril
December 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM
My curls do that, I just assumed it was part of the rebellious nature of curly hair

Firefox7275
December 30th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Are you referring to clumping and frizz? Not sure what you mean by 'should' - yes if you want them to but generally that requires experimentation, the right products and techniques, some luck/ genetics. There are links on the techniques sticky on Naturallycurly to various threads and videos on frizz control and clumping. Your hair properties (porosity, elasticity, coarseness) plus general health of hair plus presence or absence of build up plus the dew points/ humidity will all affect how well your hairs clump together by 'capillary adhesion' (see Tonya McKay's articles on NC).

dulce
December 30th, 2013, 09:34 AM
My hair does that,I suspect it is normal for some curl types.

kitschy
December 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I've never been able to get my hair to clump sufficiently. I always have those unruly strands that refuse to cooperate. Part of being a happy curly is not being a perfectionist. Let your curls be free and enjoy!

spidermom
December 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Normal variation.

I've got fine, medium, and coarse hairs all mixed up in straight, wavy, and curly types. Therefore I always have oddballs sticking out of any curl formation that happens.