PDA

View Full Version : Braiding, buns or pony causes morehair fall- (my hair)

glittergloss
December 30th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I'm 4 months post pregnant and my hair started falling like a whole load of clumps since a month ago. I cut my ends about 3-4 inches and it made a difference a bit. My hair fall lessen but still clumpy. I've tried loose buns, loose braids, loose ponies like just tying my hair with a very soft sock, etc...I could hear snapping sounds like my hair is so fragile. I started just letting my hair down sometimes I put a hairband on but my baby keeps pulling my hair so I get more hair fall. I have 3 little babes and they love touching my hair. I get mad at them for touching my hair but it's not their fault. I always explain to them that if they keep touching mommy's hair then mommy will end up baldy. My hair is very thick but I am concern about keep loosing big clumps of hair per day. Any ideas?
Thanks

CurlMonster
December 30th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Are you sure the updos are causing your hair to fall? It may be that you just notice the hairs all come out at once when you take out the updo, whereas when you wear it down they fall out all during the day and you don't notice as much.

glittergloss
December 30th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Are you sure the updos are causing your hair to fall? It may be that you just notice the hairs all come out at once when you take out the updo, whereas when you wear it down they fall out all during the day and you don't notice as much.

Thanks for responding. Yes I can hear my hair snapping when it's tied up or down or even braided. I think it's more so when it's up coz my hair is thick and heavy. It's actually the opposite. I get less hair fall when my hair is all down.

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM
If your hair is falling out in clumps, perhaps a visit with your physician is in order. Or better still, a trichologist (hair doctor).

Good luck!

Spinny
December 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
It's very common for lots of hair to fall out after giving birth. During pregnancy, it doesn't fall out much, and after giving birth you play "catch up", so to speak.

lapushka
December 30th, 2013, 09:00 AM
It's very common for lots of hair to fall out after giving birth. During pregnancy, it doesn't fall out much, and after giving birth you play "catch up", so to speak.

Exactly this. It's called a postpartum shed. I second visiting a doctor if you're that worried, like Madora suggested.

spidermom
December 30th, 2013, 11:54 AM
glittergloss describes hearing snapping noises which suggests that her hair is breaking off. Hair that breaks a lot has usually been abused by heat styling, coloring, no protection from sun or wind, etc. Damaged hair must be grown out and cut off, although deep conditioning treatments can help. I don't know what is available in your area so can't suggest anything.

Otherwise, yes, as others said, it is normal to shed out a lot of hair after giving birth because of the shift in hormones. Take good care of your health and the shedding will stop as your hormone levels go back to normal.

spidermom
December 30th, 2013, 11:54 AM
duplicate post; sorry

glittergloss
December 31st, 2013, 01:09 AM
Thank you all for responding. This is my 3rd baby and postpartum. I didn't shed with my first baby. I did with my 2nd but not as much as this 3rd baby.

glittergloss
December 31st, 2013, 01:19 AM
glittergloss describes hearing snapping noises which suggests that her hair is breaking off. Hair that breaks a lot has usually been abused by heat styling, coloring, no protection from sun or wind, etc. Damaged hair must be grown out and cut off, although deep conditioning treatments can help. I don't know what is available in your area so can't suggest anything.

Otherwise, yes, as others said, it is normal to shed out a lot of hair after giving birth because of the shift in hormones. Take good care of your health and the shedding will stop as your hormone levels go back to normal.

I stopped using any heating tools on my hair for 3 yrs now I believe but I only started hennaing my hair for I believe 2 months now. I will henna my hair again this wk. I've been chemically colouring my hair since the age of 13 so maybe my hair has weakened even though it's still very thick. My hair feels soft and much better ever since I gave up using heating tools on my hair. I recently trimmed 3-4 inches of my hair but asked hubby again to trim my ends (about an inch) last night so my hair will be a bit lighter. This will be my last trim though. I'll grow my hair out to my goal then start trimming again.