PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Costume Ideas for Long Hair

stephanieak
September 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a good Halloween costume in which I can incorporate my hair. It's 36 inches long so it should be a prominent feature.
I was thinking Pippi Longstocking, but the braids are sooo long I don't know it they would stay up properly. And also not poke eyes out with the wire I would surely need to wrap the braid around.
I'm going for fun and girly! :pumpkin:

ladyshannonanne
September 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I know this would require an updo, and I don't know if that constitutes showing off your hair, but you could always be Princess Leia. I used to cosplay as Leia when I had waist length hair, and people were always shocked when I told them it was all my own hair in the styles.

Otherwise, a cool medieval or renaissance look is always great for long flowing locks!

Elainehali
September 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
fairy!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/elainehali/whee.jpg

that's me!

manderly
September 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Princess, mermaid (cover your boobies!), elf, fairy, etc. I think longhairs get the best costumes!

There's always hippie, Cher, etc.

PseudoScot
September 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Make lots of braids and use wires to turn them into snakes, like a Medusa. :D

zen_oven
September 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Now I want to be a fairy for Halloween!:pumpkin:

CurlyNinja
September 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Now I want to be a fairy for Halloween!:pumpkin:

Hell, now I want to be Medusa!

Anje
September 8th, 2008, 09:53 PM
At 36 inches, I'm guessing playing Lady Godiva is out, unless you're really short. Still, body suit + hobby horse, and you're set!

Xanthippe
September 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
What color is your hair? That might make a difference.

Someone from a movie, like from Lord of the Rings?

longhairedfairy
September 8th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Well, I was going to say Sadako from Ringu, but that's not really prissy, lol.
I agree that the princess/Renaissance lady look works great for long hair, since they most likely would have had very long hair unless they were in jail or had been ill.

Nevermore
September 8th, 2008, 10:41 PM
A fair number of anime characters have long hair, as do geishas and some characters in mythology and novels.

SweetPea88
September 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Princesses (esp. Disney!) and fairies are definitely good choices!

Morticia Adams could be good for those with dark hair or maybe a hippie? Hmm...I need to think a bit more about this!

Bene
September 8th, 2008, 11:35 PM
cousin itt? :shrug:

stephanieak
September 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
My hair can be blonde or brown, depending on the part.
I love all your ideas! Thank you so much!
Cousin It is pretty perfect, but I am slightly concerned about being able to see...
Princess Laia sounds super, as well as a variety of fairies.
A co-worker suggested today, the viking woman, lol!!

LadyLongLocks
September 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Rapunzel....I was that last year :)

stephanieak
September 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Oh Rapunzel!! Beautiful!

dancingbarefoot
September 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
A co-worker suggested today, the viking woman, lol!!

I've done that before. The look I was going for was the Wagnerian opera valkyrie (not authentic Viking costume), although I wasn't able to find a metal breastplate like I wanted. The costume went over very well - people loved it!

There's a photo of it in one of my albums if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

saracuda
September 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
You could be a Playboy bunny and go blonde, or an Indian princess, or one of those German beer server girls, or a belly dancer...

truepeacenik
September 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hell, now I want to be Medusa!
QFT.
me, too.

manderly
September 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM
There's a photo of it in one of my albums if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

LIES!!! :silly:

Kirin
September 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
for something really show stopping, Katherine the Great, or a french aristocrat (just powder your hair lol).

A friend of mine with rediculous long hair went as Eve. I doubt you want to be this brazen, but she put double sided (hairsafe) tape on her boobs and pasted the hair on them and wore fig leaf underwear LOL.

I generally just wear my renaissance garb.

Jorchet
September 10th, 2008, 06:38 AM
How about something like this?

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1388/138839/300_138839.jpg

Reptilia
September 10th, 2008, 07:10 AM
If you have dark hair, you could be Lara Croft! She always has a really long braid or pony tail.

longhairedfairy
September 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Kirin, wow... I could never do the "Eve" thing, lol. That took a lot of nerve.

k_hepburn
September 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM
For an easy to accomplish costume: Pirate Princess!

I did this once by putting my hair in six or eight samll braids for a few hours, then carefully untangling them to end up with a HUGE head of wild and curly hair. I used a folded scarf like a loose headband to contain it just a bit. The outfit was a tight pair of black jeans with a loosely fitting vibrant red silk blouse. Eyepatch optional.

katharine

dancingbarefoot
September 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM
LIES!!! :silly:

:confused: I just checked, and it's in my hair history album. ;)

Medvssa
September 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Anything? :silly: any costume looks better with long hair ;)

Finoriel
September 10th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I like the Cousin Itt idea :bluebiggr but it´s really hard to see something, I tell you.

ClareDee
September 10th, 2008, 03:50 PM
You could be a banshee :)

In Irish legend, a banshee is a spirit/omen of death (Banshee = Bean Sídhe - meaning 'fairy woman'). She has long hair (usually fair), and carries a silver comb.
When she is heard wailing, or seen combing her long hair, it's supposed to mean that a death is imminent.

There is (or was) also a superstition in Ireland that if you see a comb lying on the ground, you should never pick it up. It could have been placed there by a banshee who will steal you away for your weakness.

Anyway, maybe that's too obscure or too sinister ;) Her clothes could be anything really (I don't think she has any specific costume aside from the comb) - but you could dress in Celtic-themed or slightly ghostly stuff. Just a thought :)

Isilme
September 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM
well, if you have tangly hair in the morning you could always skip the detangling, wrap yourself up in some meters of bandage and be a zoombie;)
Slight hijack, what I have read about american halloween seems exciting, I thought it was supposed to be spooky, and here I hear of belly dancers and other things!:)

theanti
September 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
a mermaid, be Ariel! :)

thankyousir74
September 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I would be Zelda from the video game!

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/zelda/zelda.jpg

http://seriousnerd.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/zelda_070625b-l.jpg

longhairedfairy
September 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Isilme, I think it was traditionally supposed to be spooky, but now you can dress as pretty much anything you like:)

SweetPea88
September 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm thinking of being Pocahontas!

vindo
September 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Something from the past, something victorian or even older maybe? Thats what I might go for this year..(which will be my first halloween costume and halloween:p)Just wear one of my medieval dresses..

theanti
September 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM
You could be a witch, Barbie (or one of her 'sold separately' friends), a hippie, hmmm, I like the Eve idea too :-P

ilovelonghair
September 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I dressed up as Rapunzel a couple of months ago for a party, but it was a lot of work! To be a convincing Rapunzel you got to add a lot of hair, I finally managed to make a braid so long that is was dragging over the floor! I was also tripping over it all the time LOL. I used ribbon to cover up all the bits where the hair was connected, it ended up looking quite real.

Haith
September 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I was Lara Croft last year. I made that thigh-holster belt she wears, but I used handy bundles to stick the belts together... bits of plastic poking into my legs all night... ouch! I sure looked hard-core, though!

longhairedfairy
September 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Emichiee, I hope you have a great first Halloween! Be sure to tell us all about it:)

ilovelonghair, where did you get the hair to add to your length? That sounds so neat! Do you have any pics?

ilovelonghair
September 11th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I got a picture, but have to put it on photobucket first, have a little patience :). You can buy fake ponytails and add those.

ilovelonghair
September 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
OK, found the picture :). It looks rather stupid with that bottle in my hand :confused:. And here the hair has come a little bit undone at the joints:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/ilovelonghair/hair.gif

longhairedfairy
September 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
That looks really neat! I would love to do that!

lora410
September 12th, 2008, 06:20 AM
I am going to see phantom of the opera on Halloween, but I always wanted to dress up like in the Victorian days :D

sneakybea
September 16th, 2008, 04:26 AM
If you're not afraid to use spray on dye, you could go as Cher. Particularly if you have a short boyfriend, LOL. Otherwise long hair is appropriate for all sorts of historical costumes, almost anything except for a flapper, I'd guess. I need to find something to do for Halloween this year; I've had a great idea about dressing as Pandora for a couple of years now.