PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Dandruff

ssjhotau2
September 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I just realized today that I have dandruff :confused: I haven't had dandruff since I was 13 lol. What could be causing this?

A bit of background: I've used Pantene practically my whole life with only a few brief (unsuccessful) explorations until about one month ago. We had a sale buy one get one free on our Organix products so I stocked up on the Coconut Oil. I have one shampoo, several conditioners, then I have the anti breakage, split end mender, and silk shine (or something).

My hair itself LOVES these. Its shiny and soft and theres is no shedding at all ever. And it smells really good :p

However apparantly it is giving me dandruff.... Oh but why?

Kittee
September 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I am not sure but I have it really bad right now too. I think it is the change in seasons starting. At least in my case.

Anje
September 8th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Honestly, your scalp probably has some bizarre objection to you switching products. Pre-LHC, I decided I should graduate from my el cheapo Suave to some "better" products, and grabbed a couple bottles of Aussie. I ended up with dandruff, and went back to the cheap stuff that worked. I'm still using it.

Gecko
September 9th, 2008, 07:09 AM
It might not be the products you're using. It may be from the fungus that causes dandruff. First I'd switch back to your old shampoo and if you still have it after using that for a few weeks, use a dandruff shampoo.

burns_erin
September 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM
It may not even be dandruff. There could be an ingredient that your skin objects to. It may not be one of the normal chemicals, it could be a sensitivity to a plant extract. Try a bit on the inside of your elbow to see if it reacts as well.

ssjhotau2
September 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
It may not even be dandruff. There could be an ingredient that your skin objects to. It may not be one of the normal chemicals, it could be a sensitivity to a plant extract. Try a bit on the inside of your elbow to see if it reacts as well.

That sounds brilliant, I'll try that, thank you.

I'd really like to not switch back. I tried it about two weeks ago and my hair just felt so dry and brittle. And so much hair was falling out I'm surprised I still have any. I never realized how much shedding I had until I didn't have any anymore.

Periwinkle
September 9th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Dandruff can also be caused by diet. A while ago, I had an absolutely dreadful spell of dandruff (we're talking black-jumpers-becoming-white quantities). I made an appointment with Dr. Google and found that something that's found in white bread can cause dandruff if you eat too much of it. At the time, I ate a lot of white bread, so I cut that out of my diet and the dandruff disappeared almost overnight.

Is there anything similar in your diet that could have caused this? I'd eaten like that for a long time, so obviously it can take a while to develop the dandruff.

ssjhotau2
September 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I don't know if it would be in my diet. I eat fairly healthy and I avoid white bread at all costs (gives me heartburn).My diet is made up almost entirely of chicken/turkey, brown rice, whole grain pasta, vegetables.

I have recently started taking fishoil, a women's multi vitamin, garlic, vitamins a, b, and e, and coral calcium... if those could be the cause.

Arctic_Mama
September 9th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Garlic might be the culprit, it causes inflammatory responses. It could just be hormones or the weather, too. Changing seasons often kicks up dandruff and with a routine change that might have been enough to put you over the edge.

I just did a coconut oil/salt scrub to get rid of flakes last night and it worked marvelously. I can't fix my body's response in creating dandruff (mine is autoimmune in nature) but I can manage the symptom.

burns_erin
September 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
You might also try the articles section on essential oils and herbs. Some lavendar and rosemary EO's in my grapeseed oil provided the final knock out punch for my dandruff/itchy/flaky scalp.

ssjhotau2
September 10th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Garlic might be the culprit, it causes inflammatory responses. It could just be hormones or the weather, too. Changing seasons often kicks up dandruff and with a routine change that might have been enough to put you over the edge.

I didn't know that garlic had effects like that. I eat some in almost all my food, but my father is a vitamin nut and I finally caved in and started taking some. lol

I just did a coconut oil/salt scrub to get rid of flakes last night and it worked marvelously. I can't fix my body's response in creating dandruff (mine is autoimmune in nature) but I can manage the symptom

That sounds interesting. The dandruff isn't as bad today, well there the flakes weren't as large as my fingers nails (yikes), although some did show up when I combed my hair out.
If it continues I'll definately keep that in mind.

You might also try the articles section on essential oils and herbs. Some lavendar and rosemary EO's in my grapeseed oil provided the final knock out punch for my dandruff/itchy/flaky scalp.

I'll keep this in mind aswell.
Thank you :)

Arctic_Mama
September 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM
It's a tip I got off of Janis Cortese's website on her care routine - a rounded tablespoon of Coconut oil and three tbsp of normal iodized table salt (nice, small granules, you don't want the course stuff). Mix together into a paste and apply to a damp scalp in the shower, scrubbing GENTLY for a minute or two right. If you scrub too hard it stings, so be careful as little pressure is needed. Wash your scalp well with shampoo, twice does the trick, and then condition and dry as usual.

It was GREAT, and the coconut oil conditioned my scalp, to boot.

You're doing a good thing by taking the fish oil, that will help with any inflammation as well as balance your skin out - I'd recommend adding in flax seed oil caplets as well, as a combination of those two is my personal preference. It's up to you, though. I really hope you can put the kabosh on this dandruff, it's no fun to have beautiful hair and a nightmare scalp!

ssjhotau2
September 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Today is my wash day (wednesday and saturdays) I'll see where it stands and if its not extremely better/gone by saturday I'll def try that.

As for vitamins right now I'm raiding my parents supply. I'm just trying to see how they work with my body. Fish oil is extremely depressing to me lol. I hate fish (just about any kind of fish) because of that "subtle" flavor they have, and fishoil makes me burp alot. I tried taking it at night, but my father's fishoil has some kind of energy suppliment that makes it hard to sleep.
I think they may have flaxseed oil somewhere in their stash, so I'll see if I can dig that out and give it a try.

Molster
September 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
If fish oil is repeating on you, I second the recommendation of flaxseed oil instead - it's much nicer and just as effective.

Re your dander, I had never had it in my life until about February I started taking some supplements for hair, skin and nails. It contained all the good stuff - Vits E & C, Biotin, MSM, Zinc, Kelp, Aloe Vera extract etc, but something in it didn't agree and my scalp turned to snow-city! Very embarrassing :(

I changed my shampoo from Avalon Organics Rosemary to JASON Rosewater & Camomile, which seemed to help a bit, but another couple of months down the line it still wasn't great. For someone who had never had 'druff before, it was a real pain (especially as I wear a lot of black!) :confused:

So thinking about anything that I had done which had changed, I decided to try stopping the supplements, and within about 4 weeks the dander had gone. :cheese:

It might just be that with your already good diet (sounds positively angelic), you might not actually need some of the extra vitamins and minerals found in multi vits. Perhaps it's just your body's way of saying "enough already", which is what I figured mine did too. :D

Merkaba
September 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I've been using Head and Shoulders 2in1, it cleans the dandruff off but doesn't dry my hair out because it has conditioner in it. Might help, along with the other suggestions here.

heidi w.
September 11th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Flakes are a sign of dandruff; however, all flakes are not necessarily dandruff flakes!

What are your symptoms beyond any flakes? Is it accompanied by itching? If yes to the second part, then you may well have dandruff.

That's the first thing.

Here are things that can look like dandruff:
dried on product that's flaking off (not a good enough rinse!) (this can occur from hair length, not just scalp area)
it's normal for skin cells to slough....it's a question of how much/often -- dandruff is at an incredibly rapid rate
sebum bits that have dried and flake out in dusty bits (usually though it hardens and can form a crust)
dry scalp skin

There are up to something like 7 types of dandruff, the worst being Seborrheic Dermatitus which has sores or red bumps (or both, usually both) that accompany it. They weep, bleed when scratched, crust over in drying, and you're off again in the cycle. These come off in sheets, not flakes and can be very hard to remove as they really harden around the hair strand, clinging like a baby monkey to its mama.

There are lots of scalp skin problems....

You can ACV rinse. It helps with itchies. I used it for years to manage my Seborrheic Dermatitus. It wasn't a fabulous solution, but it helped. Lemon rinse achieves the same effect. Use lemon if light haired.

Don't use shampoos with Sodium laurel/laureth sulfates.

IF it's really bad dandruff, try using NIZORAL. Some people have good luck with Head & Shoulders. (You will need to condition.) Nizoral needs to be left on for a few minutes before rinsing. There are 2 versions: over the counter, and prescription. (I had to use prescription for years.) Nizoral leaves the hair a little oilier than you might expect, especially by day 2. It's not drying as other dandruff shampoos are.

Most dandruff sufferers don't benefit from applying conditioner to scalp skin. It can make it worse.

Scritch scalp before each and every hair wash that involves scalp skin.

Dandruff needs to be managed by washing more than once per week. A few times a week.

Change and wash pillowcases frequently.

During winter, sleep in a room with a humidifier, especially if winter means snow/cold, burrrr cold.

Clean your hair detangling tools regularly. I do so every hair wash. No need to reinsert the bacteria, gunk, etc.

Sometimes oiling scalp skin helps--depending (it can also inflame it). Take it easy with Tea Tree Oil. It's VERY STRONG. Skin test patch first to ensure no reactions! More is not better.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dandruff/DS00456/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

heidi w.

ssjhotau2
September 11th, 2008, 09:46 AM
If fish oil is repeating on you, I second the recommendation of flaxseed oil instead - it's much nicer and just as effective.

Is it? I thought something about it being "fish" was suppose to be great. I know I've always been chastised for not eating fish. If thats not true then I would love to switch lol.

It might just be that with your already good diet (sounds positively angelic), you might not actually need some of the extra vitamins and minerals found in multi vits. Perhaps it's just your body's way of saying "enough already", which is what I figured mine did too. :D

LOL, my diet sounds better on paper. Mostly its meat and pasta with a tiny little thing of veggies. And those are usually the frozen bags of mixed vegetables which only have green beans, corn, peas, muchrooms, and carrots. Every now and then I can even be talked into a salad by my BF, but I drown it in Ranch and cheese, completely ruining its healthy purpose. :p

I actually use to take prenatal pills and I really liked those, but my dad talked me into changing because it wasn't "on a cellular level."

ssjhotau2
September 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Flakes are a sign of dandruff; however, all flakes are not necessarily dandruff flakes!

What are your symptoms beyond any flakes? Is it accompanied by itching? If yes to the second part, then you may well have dandruff.

That's the first thing.

Here are things that can look like dandruff:
dried on product that's flaking off (not a good enough rinse!) (this can occur from hair length, not just scalp area)
it's normal for skin cells to slough....it's a question of how much/often -- dandruff is at an incredibly rapid rate
sebum bits that have dried and flake out in dusty bits (usually though it hardens and can form a crust)
dry scalp skin

My scalp doesn't itch at all. Infact the only reason I noticed I had dandruff is because there was a little bit showing up while I brushed my hair before bed. I couldn't see any flakes on my part, but when I lifted the hair in the opposite direction the flakes were huge. It might be dried product, as you mentioned. I wash with conditioner mostly, plus I have 2 leave in products I use after every shower.

There are up to something like 7 types of dandruff, the worst being Seborrheic Dermatitus which has sores or red bumps (or both, usually both) that accompany it. They weep, bleed when scratched, crust over in drying, and you're off again in the cycle. These come off in sheets, not flakes and can be very hard to remove as they really harden around the hair strand, clinging like a baby monkey to its mama.

I actually think my BF might have this to a degre, just on one part of his scalp above his right ear. But its constantly either scabbed or bleeding slightly, and while its not exactly "sheets" it does come off in large flakes. Only there though.

You can ACV rinse.

ACV?

Thank you for all the information :)
website saved

Kittee
September 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Still may be seasonal. I only get this way in fall/winter myself. Mine are tiny little white dots though not big flakes. Did this just start up with a weather change or longer?

Kirin
September 11th, 2008, 11:08 AM
It probably isnt actual dandruff (which is yellowish and oily usually caused by fungus) but an irritated , dry or allergic scalp reaction causing dry white flakes. We're pretty programmed by Head & shoulders commercials as to what dandruff is (white dry flakes on your shoulders) but thats a misnomer.

Chances are, its likely the "after products" that are causing it, not the shampoo and conditioner. Try first cutting out the after products, and see if that helps. If not, then try dilluting your shampoo way down in a seperate container (1 part shampoo to three parts water) and see if that helps.

If neither works its likely you either have a sensitivity to coconut or to one of the botanicals or ingredients in the shampoo and conditioner, and it can be very hard to track down which one it is.

I can't find it right now, but there's a good website out there explaining the difference between dandruff and dry scalp, i'll keep searching until i find it!

ssjhotau2
September 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Still may be seasonal. I only get this way in fall/winter myself. Mine are tiny little white dots though not big flakes. Did this just start up with a weather change or longer?

I don't know when it started exactly, but I noticed it the day before I started this thread.

Also should note that where I live the weather hasn't really changed at all. Its still mostly 90's to 100's though its starting to cool down at night.

ssjhotau2
September 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Chances are, its likely the "after products" that are causing it, not the shampoo and conditioner. Try first cutting out the after products, and see if that helps. If not, then try dilluting your shampoo way down in a seperate container (1 part shampoo to three parts water) and see if that helps.

I use the after product when I wash my hair with shampoo, which I did yesterday, and will do again in a few days. But yesterday, because of the flaking, I used a small amount only on the ends and my scalp seems a little better, though it was flaking less before I did this aswell. I don't know if I'm doing something right, or if maybe it was just a brief reaction to change?
This is the longest I can recall ever using a different hair product at all, usually I bought them, tried them once or twice, and then gave them to my mom.

danacc
September 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
ACV?

ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar. See the article on diluted vinegar rinses (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=56) for more information. These will help a little with rinsing, particularly if you have hard water.

danacc
September 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Is it? I thought something about it being "fish" was suppose to be great. I know I've always been chastised for not eating fish. If thats not true then I would love to switch lol.

Flax is an excellent vegetarian source of Omega-3 fatty acids. So, if you are supplementing fish oil to get Omega-3, then yes, you can switch. And if you don't know exactly why you were supplementing with fish oil, well, it was most likely for Omega-3. ;)

ssjhotau2
September 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks, found a generic store brand in my parents closet, tis stolen.