PDA

View Full Version : Tips for 2c/3a length

Arwenlily
December 29th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone :)

I'm brand new and I just wondering if anyone can give me any tips for growing my hair and keeping it healthy. My hair type is somewhere between 2c/3a, high density, low porosity, and medium/coarse. When I first started growing my hair it was about 18" and now it is around 22". My goal hair length is around 27-28" and I'm so excited because it hasn't been that long since I was 6 or 7.

This is my routine so far:
Moroccan oil shampoo/conditioner (should I co-wash?)
No heat (should I try plopping?)
No brushing(only finger combing)
Sometimes apply olive oil
Haven't had trim since July (I don't have split ends, does that mean I can wait for a trim)
I don't use any products besides S/C, should I use LI, curl-definers, gels, etc?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Hootenanny
December 29th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I highly recommend the Curly Girl (CG) Method. Here's a link to some info: http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

And welcome to LHC, fellow curly! :)

Madora
December 29th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Detangle daily with a wide tooth comb. Start at the ends and work towards the roots.

Be sure you are eating healthy.

Monthly S and Ding help keep those pesky white dots at bay.

Daily scalp massage (bent at the waist) with your fingerpads helps nourish your hair follicles.

"Less is more". The less you put on your hair, the better.

Arwenlily
December 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks so much, I've seen it before and I will definitely try to follow it :) Are there any specific products you use?

Madora, what is S and Ding?

Aingeal
December 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM
S&d is search and destroy. Get very sharp hair shears and search out splits and snip them away.

Welcome! I have 3a/b hair that is course and porous. Find a good leave in conditioner would be my advice. Also look into curly girl methods. If you wear your hair down, alcohol free gel and plopping are awesome. You don't have to cowash, but you can try it! I've been cowashing for six months and clarifying about once a month.

Happy growing!

Hootenanny
December 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks so much, I've seen it before and I will definitely try to follow it :) Are there any specific products you use?

I used sulfate-free shampoos, esp. the Moisture line from Shea Moisture (gold-colored line). I dilute about a tablespoon in a cup or so of water and apply it only to the scalp (using a color-application bottle). I tried co-washing but unfortunately experienced increased shedding; this doesn't happen to everyone, however, so you could give it a shot! (VO5 and Suave are popular for co-washing.) Then I rotate protein-heavy and protein-free conditioners every other wash, my favorites being: Cure Care or Ion Effective Care or Spiral Solutions Protein Treatment for when I want protein, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Sally's Conditioning Balm (aka Biolage knock-off) for when I want protein-free. I finish it all up with Giovanni Direct Leave-In and a jelly-type product (e.g. Kinky-Curly Custard or Uncle Funky's Curly Magic or Shea Moisture's Souffle). I hope this helps! If you are looking for more advice specifically about curls, I recommend visiting NaturallyCurly.com in addition to this site! :)

spidermom
December 29th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Layers help bring out the natural texture and make my 2C hair much easier to manage.

Arwenlily
December 29th, 2013, 07:17 PM
S&d is search and destroy. Get very sharp hair shears and search out splits and snip them away.

Welcome! I have 3a/b hair that is course and porous. Find a good leave in conditioner would be my advice. Also look into curly girl methods. If you wear your hair down, alcohol free gel and plopping are awesome. You don't have to cowash, but you can try it! I've been cowashing for six months and clarifying about once a month.

Happy growing!

Thanks for answering my question :) What are your favorite LI, co-wash, and clarifiers?

I used sulfate-free shampoos, esp. the Moisture line from Shea Moisture (gold-colored line). I dilute about a tablespoon in a cup or so of water and apply it only to the scalp (using a color-application bottle). I tried co-washing but unfortunately experienced increased shedding; this doesn't happen to everyone, however, so you could give it a shot! (VO5 and Suave are popular for co-washing.) Then I rotate protein-heavy and protein-free conditioners every other wash, my favorites being: Cure Care or Ion Effective Care or Spiral Solutions Protein Treatment for when I want protein, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Sally's Conditioning Balm (aka Biolage knock-off) for when I want protein-free. I finish it all up with Giovanni Direct Leave-In and a jelly-type product (e.g. Kinky-Curly Custard or Uncle Funky's Curly Magic or Shea Moisture's Souffle). I hope this helps! If you are looking for more advice specifically about curls, I recommend visiting NaturallyCurly.com in addition to this site! :)

What does diluting the shampoo in water do? Does it cause less harm to hair? I love NaturallyCurly.com! And thanks so much for telling me the products you use ... I have to start experimenting :)

Thanks spidermom! Long layers have helped me tremendously.

Firefox7275
December 29th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Definitely try the Curly Girl method. Many of us use our rinse out conditioner as a leave in. Some practise conditioner only styling you don't have to use gel if you are happy without.

Don't get hung up on being tangle free - wavy/ curly hair isn't meant to be so and excessive detangling just creates frizz and damage. Just do what you need to do to avoid full on knots or mats that are difficult to detangle in the shower as these are also damaging. reduce nighttime tangling and frizz with a silk/ satin pillowcase or sleep bonnet, 'pineapple' or loose bun or braid whichever suits.

jeanniet
December 29th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Definitely look into Curly Girl. I would advise against detangling daily, because with your curl pattern you will likely create more tangling by disturbing the curls. I had constant tangling issues when I was detangling twice or more a day. Now I only detangle in the shower during a wash and have zero problems, plus I'm no longer pulling out curls. If you need a little hold for your curls, gel will help, but a good leave in (and possibly lots of it) may be enough. I can do conditioner-only styling, but usually use a tad of hard-hold gel on top of it.