PDA

View Full Version : Cutting your own hair

Tudor Dream
December 29th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hi,

Does anyone here cut his or her own hair? After a bad experience a few years ago I went back to a trusted hairdresser who is great, but far away and really expensive, and I'd like to try and save the time and money if I can cut my hair myself. I want to be able to trim the ends and then maybe go to the hairdresser once a year. I've seen a couple of methods on YouTube where you flip your hair over the top of your head, or pull it round to the side but does this work for hip-length hair?

I like the ends to be blunt cut straight across; I don't need layers or anything fancy!

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Try the feye self trim method there is one for blunt cuts.

melusine963
December 29th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Here's a link to Feye's self-trim instructions (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) that a lot of LHCers (myself included) use. Scroll down to the second post for the straight across hemline.

ETA: There are also several YouTube videos out there. Just enter 'feye's self-trim method' into the search bar.

serverus
December 29th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hi,

Does anyone here cut his or her own hair? After a bad experience a few years ago I went back to a trusted hairdresser who is great, but far away and really expensive, and I'd like to try and save the time and money if I can cut my hair myself. I want to be able to trim the ends and then maybe go to the hairdresser once a year. I've seen a couple of methods on YouTube where you flip your hair over the top of your head, or pull it round to the side but does this work for hip-length hair?

I like the ends to be blunt cut straight across; I don't need layers or anything fancy!
I do. I've used the Feye's method. It is really good for when you are new to cutting your own hair. I've used YouTube as we'll because I wanted layers. Feye's method is really good though. It gives really good control. You can start by taking of half an inch. Just so you can get used to it, and than after 2/3 months or so you can do it again. Just take baby steps and you'll be fine

Tudor Dream
December 29th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks so much for the advice and links! I've just read the instructions and watched a couple of YouTube vidoes. After seeing the photos, I think I actually prefer a gentle U shape cut, so I'll try that one when I trim my hair.

LaurelSpring
December 29th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I like a gentle U also. Now I just part in the middle, pull both sides to the front and looking steady straight ahead and a slightly tilted back I slide my fingers tightly down and cut evenly across the bottoms.

sumidha
December 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I use Feye's method as well. There's a variation for getting a slight U shape, I believe.

Being able to cut your own hair is awesome. :)

spidermom
December 31st, 2013, 09:07 AM
I always got an uneven result with Feye's method.
What I ended up doing was parting my hair straight down the middle, then combing each side smoothly and evenly forward and combining into a single ponytail right under my chin. Then I combed the ponytail straight down, closed a book over it, slid the book straight down, and cut straight across the ends protruding from the book. The result was a subtle U hem.

zift
December 31st, 2013, 12:04 PM
I always got an uneven result with Feye's method.
What I ended up doing was parting my hair straight down the middle, then combing each side smoothly and evenly forward and combining into a single ponytail right under my chin. Then I combed the ponytail straight down, closed a book over it, slid the book straight down, and cut straight across the ends protruding from the book. The result was a subtle U hem.

I've been maintaining my hair with U cuts for a while and I've come up with first marking my body with a pen in the front, tilting my head backwards and cut from those marks. Than I correct it with the ponytail sliding at the back to even the ends. The result is a deep U almost straight across. But I have to keep combing and pulling because of my waves. I'll try the book method next time, thanks. :)