PDA

View Full Version : Getting Serious!

Tudor Dream
December 29th, 2013, 03:31 PM
After many years of taking my long hair for granted, I've decided that I really need to start making an effort to treat it properly. My hair is straight, reaches to my hips and is thinner and dryer than it used to be so I'd like to restore as much volume and shine as I can! I henna every now and then, never use heat, only wash my hair once a week, but I'm guilty of doing many other things that damage it such as tight pony tails and leaving it loose to get tangles.

I've ordered silk pillows for the bed
I've started braiding my hair instead of leaving it loose all the time
I'm drinking more water and eating more walnuts!
I'm going to buy a new hairbrush (and advice about the best type?)
I'm putting oil on the ends (is one brand better than another? I have Chameli.)
I'm trimming the split ends more frequently

Anything else I should be doing or should stop doing?

Thanks!

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'd say for s&d good shears. I'd add that to your list. I'd add scrunchi pony tails, as far as bbb goes I have a conair one not too shabby. It's mid priced around 6.00 dollars. Oils are hard to help with everyone likes different ones. Deep conditioner I'd chose Aussie 3 minute miracle, cholesterol treatment I'd chose lustrasilk cholesterol treatments they have so many. If you like cones I'd buy tressemee shine spray it's cheap 5.00 dollars.

makeminea99
December 29th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Hairbrush wise kind of depends on your hair type, really - mine is kind of medium/fine and straight with a wave, and I use a Tangle Teezer, and also a Mason Pearson rake comb. (Oh - and the Dreaded Nit Comb when my youngest brings his Little Friends home from school - he must have a tasty head, I'm thinking!! Grrr . . .) ahem! Sorry.
You are good with the silk pillows! Never tried that but it's supposed to help, isn't it!
Definitely vary the way you wear your hair as much as you can, so's your're not putting stress on the same parts of your hair all the time.
As far as oils go, I can vouch for pure coconut oil and argan oil being really good for my hair, olive oil's good too!
Other than that I'd say your're doing pretty good! :)

melusine963
December 29th, 2013, 04:09 PM
I second the suggestion for good hair trimming scissors. There's no point s&ding with blunt scissors, since those will mash the hair strands rather than cut them cleanly, meaning they're far quicker to split again.

Madora
December 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM
A pure boar bristle brush (no plastic/nylon) is the gentlest and most natural for your hair. There are various types of bbb's. Some have thicker bristles, some thinner. Some are stiffer, others not so much. Your brush should have a flat back (no rounded brush types) and have at least 5 rows of bristles that are not too close together. A bbb need not cost a fortune either.

Before you brush, always detangle with a wide tooth comb.

Tudor Dream
December 29th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the replies and great advice! I'll get myself a boar's bristle brush and a new pair of scissors as the ones I have now are good quality, I believe, but I've had them for years and they can't be terribly sharp anymore.

Tudor Dream
December 29th, 2013, 05:59 PM
[...] Your brush should have a flat back (no rounded brush types) [...]

I'm just curious, why should it have a flat back? I've never used a circular brush but I don't really know what the different types are for. Maybe for blow drying the hair? Is there a difference between the flat oval and flat square brushes or is it just preference?

Ferryl
December 29th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I'd recommend when buying "scissors" to get quality hair shears specifically made for cutting hair. Don't let anyone borrow your shears and don't use it on anything other than hair! I chose one with a garish hot pink snakeskin pattern on it so no one could possibly mistake it as normal scissors. :)

I like the Tangle Teezer for my brush, but brushes are personal preference. I've read lots of good things about boar bristle brushes but had one as an adolescent and did not have the best experience it. I think that was because it probably was cheap and not the best quality. Some day I hope to give a BBB another chance.

bradlea
December 29th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I'd recommend when buying "scissors" to get quality hair shears specifically made for cutting hair. Don't let anyone borrow your shears and don't use it on anything other than hair! I chose one with a garish hot pink snakeskin pattern on it so no one could possibly mistake it as normal scissors. :)

Off topic, but: When referring to hair cutting scissors, shears is a misnomer. Shears must have finger holes of different sizes, and are generally larger than the small hair cutting scissors that are most common. My favorite cosmetology school teacher had a big pet peeve about this, it must have rubbed off on me, haha. I guess it's time for a moreyouknow.gif!

OP, I love your list, and I think I will be stealing it for my own use. :] I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and haven't been able to figure out how to spend it, maybe silk pillowcases is the answer!

Tudor Dream
December 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM

I like the Tangle Teezer for my brush, but brushes are personal preference. I've read lots of good things about boar bristle brushes but had one as an adolescent and did not have the best experience it. I think that was because it probably was cheap and not the best quality. Some day I hope to give a BBB another chance.

I'm tempted to try the Tangle Teaser. I just had a look on Amazon and it looks interesting! I'll definitely get a special hair-cutting pair of scissors rather than paper-cutting :)

OP, I love your list, and I think I will be stealing it for my own use. :] I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and haven't been able to figure out how to spend it, maybe silk pillowcases is the answer!

Glad the list could be helpful; feel free to steal it! I've been meaning to buy silk pillowcases for a couple of years but somehow just never bothered until now. They are supposed to slow down the appearance of lines on the face too which would be a nice plus!

bradlea
December 29th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Glad the list could be helpful; feel free to steal it! I've been meaning to buy silk pillowcases for a couple of years but somehow just never bothered until now. They are supposed to slow down the appearance of lines on the face too which would be a nice plus!

ahh yes, I was just looking at some on Amazon that said that! Did you have a particular brand you were planning to get? I was looking at the Spasilk brand which seems to have good reviews, and they're not super expensive.

Tudor Dream
December 29th, 2013, 07:43 PM
ahh yes, I was just looking at some on Amazon that said that! Did you have a particular brand you were planning to get? I was looking at the Spasilk brand which seems to have good reviews, and they're not super expensive.

I was going to get that one but I thought I'd take a chance on the "Sizps 100% Pure Mulberry Silk Pillowcase Cover" as it was a lot cheaper and the color is perfect. I'll let you know what it feels and looks like once it arrives, if you like. I'm hoping that it'll stand up to being machine washed as I really can't be bothered to hand wash!

Tudor Dream
January 18th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Bradlea: My silk pillowcase arrived and it's gorgeous! The blue I chose is a bit too bright and I wouldn't have bought it had I seen it, but I'm very pleased with the feel of the pillowcase; it's wonderful to sleep on. I don't know yet if it's really making a difference to my hair but I guess that shows more over a longer period of time. I guess as my hair actually touches the bed sheets more than the pillowcase I should get silk sheets!

ellenajordans
January 20th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Wow it's great your really getting into hair care. If you can afford it a Mason Pearson boar bristle brush is the best. However if your like me and don't want to part with a over £100 just for a brush, a Derman boar bristle brush work nearly as well and cost about £20.

Madora
January 20th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I'm just curious, why should it have a flat back? I've never used a circular brush but I don't really know what the different types are for. Maybe for blow drying the hair? Is there a difference between the flat oval and flat square brushes or is it just preference?

If your hair is short, then the round or semi round bbb is fine. But if your hair is long, brushing with a round bbb can lead to frustration because when you brush you usually do so with a flip of your wrist..and your hair gets tangled in the brush.

Brushing long hair is easier with a flat based brush. Hold it with your thumb on the handle nearest the bristles.