PDA

View Full Version : 2014 New Year Resolutions! - Challenges, projects, etc

SleepyTangles
December 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Now that 2014 is approaching, what are your resolutions hair-wise? Please tell us!
Will you stick to them :eyebrows:?

Mines :o:

Short(?) term
-Putting order in my hair stash
-Not allowing myself anything more than dusting my ends until I reach waist!
(I'm starting to see more splits on my s&d sessions, and my ends feels somewhat empty, dry. I tend to be too scissor happy for my own good!)

Long term
-Continuing experimenting with indian herbs wash, as it gave me wonderful results!
-NO MORE HARSH/LAZY DETANGLING: I'll sit down and slowly work my way with watever detangler/oil my hair needs.
-Stop stalking my hair with my camera. A watched pot never boils.

It will be great to hear about everyone's projects :)!

Wildcat Diva
December 29th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Oh, hair-wise?

I was coming on here to say to try to walk/run at least five times a week for 3 miles. Try to lose maybe one pound a month by doing this along with modifying eating slightly.

Hair? No trimming til past waist. That will be Fall 2014. Specifically wait to get to about 31 inches, then trim an inch or so. Waist will come at about 29 inches, so I'll be safely past it then.
My long term plan is to gain a year's growth or so, then trim an inch. This way I can expect to gain close to five inches a year, not really accounting for waves, (which may throw a kink in the plan, ha).

Sillage
December 29th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I did 2013 with no trims and I'm going to do the same for 2014!

HintOfMint
December 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I need to figure out a way to streamline my hair wash routine. At this point, I'm mixing an SMT concoction (honey, two types of conditioner, and ACV) before every wash and it's getting a little annoying. I need to figure out how far in advance I can do this without exposing my mixture to bacterial growth. I really miss the days when I can just hop in the shower and just use what's in the bottle.

I will also experiment with Indian herbs for washing.

I will also not hop in the stylist's chair for a blowout whenever there's some mildly special occasion. Heat every once in a while is fine but it adds up and I know from experience that it doesn't take long for damage to accumulate, at least for my hair. Blowouts can be addicting and once a month is too much for me.

Tini'sNewHair
December 29th, 2013, 03:04 PM
No trimming or dusting until i go at least 1 inch passed waist!!! That’s when i will start maintaining my ends until im happy with them! And i must be passed waist so i can always say that im at waist and not going backwards from there :p

I MUST try and stretch washes - I just hate the way my hair reacts after just day one of not washing it but i need to tough up and give it a go so that at least i know ive tried this to!

I MUST stop checking my length any other time and stick to once a month progress review!!! I have a feeling that this wont really stop until i reach waist again tho... because MBL is sooooooo boring, ive been here before!!!!

I still need to try different updos and keep it up MORE but ahhhhhh its so tough trying to be my own stylist!!! Last night the ties on my braid kept coming off/braking and i had to fix my braids around the clock which was verrrrrry annoying!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE to be waist by May 2014 because that will be my 2 year anniversary since i chopped my hair off to just bellow shoulders to grow back the healthy way... I would be cheering to reach such a milestone with WAIST LONG HAIR!!!!!!!! :D

Cheers!!!! :blossom:

melusine963
December 29th, 2013, 03:04 PM
My resolution for 2014 is to get off my butt and buy a new pair of hair trimming scissors. I've really been slacking on my s&d sessions this year, and I want to change that. Other than this, I mean to continue my current hair care routine since that seems to work for me. Oh, and I suppose I'd like to finally get good at french braiding.

Covet
December 29th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Interesting thread!
My goals are:
-no trimming in 2014
-more frequent oilings
-finish all my products before buying/opening more
-wash my hair at night instead of leaving the house with a soaking head in the morning
-take more time to detangle

I think these goals are easy enough to stick to, apart from shying away from trims. I'm growing out bleach and my ends are in tatters so I will need to stay strong and battle them.

askan
December 29th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Oh, here are mine!

- Wear more end-protective updos. I've been wearing my hair loose a lot but I'm approaching APL and it's time to really start thinking about protecting the lengths and ends.
- Trim when I need to! Don't wait too long.
- Oh yeah, learn to trim my own (layered) hair.
- Don't even think about colouring! I'm growing out my natural colour and I'm excited to see what it will look like when it gets longer.

leslissocool
December 29th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I think I won't trip for a year, I trimmed a lot this year already and I'm itching for length.

alabaster
December 29th, 2013, 04:04 PM
-No more expensive hair toy purchases for 2014..... (I am allowing myself to replace bobby pins/basic hair ties as needed, but no more ficcares)
-Deep treatment 1 x/week
-No trims until BSL is reached approximately August 2014, just s&d
-Take the time to determine what my hair preferes. (I have been cone free for almost a year and i would like to try out cones to see if they agree with my wavy coarse hair)

blue_eyes
December 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Short term:

No dye and no trims until I reach BSL, then I'll slowly trim away the dye while maintaining that length. I should be able to begin trimming by the time summer comes around. Other than that, stick to my current routine.

Long term:

Stay dye free and reach waist length!

Aingeal
December 29th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Short term: keep wearing buns and braids 95% of the time. S&d once a month. Continue with trimming one inch every six months. Baby hair as it asks.

Long term: reach waist length while curly and maintain from there for a while.

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Hast wise I'd say no trims for a while.
Try to reach waist length
Wear braids
Finish minor decluttering
Hope I survive volunteering helps in benign neglect

tigereye
December 29th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I'm attempting to reach tailbone at some time during the year, which means no major trims - dustings and s&d only. My hair seems to grow really slow below hip, but I think that's rather just my recently-fixed posture and expanse of butt talking.
I should really learn to henna my roots since my ends have reached a lovely colour and I don't want it any darker.
I've also become slack on the coconut oil, and need to stop being stingy and buy myself another tub of panacea.
No more hair-toys until next year, with the exception of one lotus ficcare (specifically amethyst, but any lotus really) if they happen to bring them back

bunnylake
December 29th, 2013, 05:44 PM
-Try again to stretch washes at least to every other day!
-Weekly deep treatments... no getting lazy.
-Finish up products before I buy more.

That's kind of it! I'm taking a more relaxed approach to my hair since I cut it. I'm going to have fun with different cuts and styles at shorter lengths for a bit. :)

Mizumi
December 29th, 2013, 05:51 PM
My goal is tailbone length. I also follow well-known superstition that cutting hair between 100-day-ball and exams causes bad results, so I plan not to trim in next year until may. Also, I want to deep condition regularly, at least twice a month, and S&D a lot.

Lilybeany
December 29th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Happy New Year. I plan to SD regularly,as I have many splits. Only micro trim if needed. Resist all hair dye, and grow roots that are brown/grey and hope it blends with my damaged recently dyed over bleach, brown hair. Hope to reach hips in 2 years.

battles
December 29th, 2013, 06:06 PM
-No trims til APL, except for bangs.
-Not touching dye
-Avoiding unnecessary experimentation
-As soon as it's long enough to wear up, keep it up majority of the time. :)

Ashflower89
December 29th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Technically, my 2014 goal is to hit shoulder length, but that's not really in my control. So my 2014 goal is to keep up with my weekly leave-in treatments.

HappyHair87
December 29th, 2013, 08:38 PM
My goal is to reach Hip length next year. I am just approaching WL.

Next Year I Plan To:

-Keep up with deep conditioning 1-2 times a week
-No heat except for diffusing (I have curly hair that takes FOREVER and 17 hours to dry (3c/3b)) so i will do that occasionally
-Continue with my Prenatal vitamins
-Eating a mostly clean diet
-Go back to co washing more often...this really helps my hair to grow...the added moisture :)
-Incorporate oils back into my regimen

I have products i need to get rid of. I also plan on using mostly quality products...my hair needs substance and sometimes the drugstore stuff doesn't cut it unless its Shea Moisture, Kinky Curly...brands like that. I also am a fan of Tresseme Naturals!

I hope to reach Hip length by June 2014. I would like for my nape to reach Waist length next year...right now its MBL.

I would REALLY love for my hair to be BSL curly...but idk how long my stretched hair would need to be for that...i'm guessing Hip bc i'm already at APL curly with my longest curls.

HappyHair87
December 29th, 2013, 08:38 PM
My goal is to reach Hip length next year. I am just approaching WL.

Next Year I Plan To:

-Keep up with deep conditioning 1-2 times a week
-No heat except for diffusing (I have curly hair that takes FOREVER and 17 hours to dry (3c/3b)) so i will do that occasionally
-Continue with my Prenatal vitamins
-Eating a mostly clean diet
-Go back to co washing more often...this really helps my hair to grow...the added moisture :)
-Incorporate oils back into my regimen

I have products i need to get rid of. I also plan on using mostly quality products...my hair needs substance and sometimes the drugstore stuff doesn't cut it unless its Shea Moisture, Kinky Curly...brands like that. I also am a fan of Tresseme Naturals!

I hope to reach Hip length by June 2014. I would like for my nape to reach Waist length next year...right now its MBL.

I would REALLY love for my hair to be BSL curly...but idk how long my stretched hair would need to be for that...i'm guessing Hip bc i'm already at APL curly with my longest curls.

butterflybutton
December 29th, 2013, 08:46 PM
My short term goal is to not trim at all until my longest lengths reach shoulder, and also to reach shoulder length :p
Also to start sealing my ends after treatments.

Oh, I'm also going to try out some more faster hair techniques, hoping I can get over 1/2" growth at least a couple of months.

Really Long term, I'm only going to trim 1cm each time I reach a body mark for length. That way I can start to get rid of the layers as I'm gaining length without losing too much progress.

and absolutely no more colouring my hair.

spidermom
December 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Get out of the house more and have some fun going to street fairs, festivals, etc.

julee
December 29th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Mine are:
No trims
Get to solid waist length, maybe hip length, depending on growth speed.
Try to keep up a healthier lifestyle for maximum growth potential (eating more red meat, vegetables and fruit)
Try not to buy more ficcares, except if they re-release the lotus or other beautiful pieces that I really need *cough* :)

Of the Fae
December 30th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Mine are (hairwise):

No trims in 2014- I want to try to grow out my horrid layers as natural as possible and see what happens without intervention.
If it gets really unsightly I might even it out though.
Henna only, no chemical dye
attempt to reach shoulder with the shortest layers and APL with my longest.

hanne jensen
December 30th, 2013, 05:03 AM
My goals are to avoid damage. No trims until after 6 July. Do anything I can to maintain my current growth rate. I've grown about 12 cm in 6 months. At this rate I should be at just BSL in 2014. Eat healthier for my hair. Drink my water.

glittergloss
December 30th, 2013, 05:18 AM
No more trimming my hair. I'll trim the ends once I hit tail bone length. I used to have hair down to my bum and that was what I used to do.
I'll henna only. Spend more time here on LHC so I can learn more things.

Libbylou
December 30th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Maintain current regime. Hennamaiden glosses when silvers bug me(the only time I do a "deep treatment"). Wash every other day, 2 drops of mineral oil to detangle. Use toadstoolsoaps shampoo and leave in.
Only thing different is I would like to try is wearing more updo's to work instead of the bunnytail. That would require a few more minutes each workday, I already get up at 3:30am.
Buy a plain wooden fork for work hair.
Almost at waist length now, will continue to allow dustings about 2X year.

RubberDucky
December 30th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Keep growing out my pixie, so no trims (apart from bangs) and no dyes. Mostly aiming for benign neglect, but plan on experimenting more with oils before and after washing.

Agnes Hannah
December 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Hello
my hairesolutions for 2014 are:
Continue oiling my ends.
CO when I need to wash before I want to.
Put EVOO on my length and ends the night before washday
Trim twice yearly on each equinox
S&D when necessary
Grow to waist
Adapt claw clips for fine hair (possibly cover them with silk)
Silk pillow
Silk cap for wearing under knitted hats
Deal with tangles (new phenomena to me now I've hit top end of BSL)
loose plaits for bedtime, may cover these with a silk tube thingy to protect ends
Towards summertime, try more bun styles using my new fork and stick which haven't arrived yet but I couldn't resist
Try to stop obsessing about it and enjoy it more.
Anything else that someone here suggests and I think "now that's a good idea, I'll give that a go"
L

lapushka
December 30th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Seeing how far it'll grow (with layers, I'm keeping those!) and using up my hair stash, or at least putting a dent in it.

redtuss
December 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM
For 2014 I will
* Study hard so that I can apply to become a dentist in 2015
* Love my animals, they're getting older so I need to make the most out of it
* Try to live cheap and save as much money as I can
* Enjoy spending time with my nephew who is 1 year old now and the best person in the world
* Spend time with my family and my boyfriend's family

Hairwise
* Follow my shedule for deep conditioning and trims that I have made, I cut by the moon and have decided some "good moons" to trim and when to co. Just so that I remember it! (I have 6 microtrim-dates and 12 treatment days). Of course I will oil and do conditioning treatments not only on these days, I want to do it more often as well but these are my "definite gonna do it"-dates
* Try to keep minimalistic with my haircare, I have products I need to use up and I don't plan on buying anything new!
* Enjoy the hairtoys I have instead of longing after new ones ;)
* Protect my hair as much as I can

* Keep growing!

littleghost
December 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Don't cut hair until June (which will mark my one year not cutting)
Do cut bangs as I have decided I will keep them for now...
Do NOT cut bangs myself but let a stylist friend do it or go to a salon
Dye only roots and touch up with manic panic or similar inbetween
Hopefully reaching BSL at some point in 2014

bryana
December 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Agnes Hannah if you find a great way to adapt claw clips for fine hair, let me know! :-)

My 2014 resolutions are:

| stay positive
| live in the now
| take my time

hair-wise
| no trimming, s&d only
| drink more water!
| grow to waist
| avoid cones
| keep braided as often as possible to protect fine hair past bsl
| fix dry cuticles that keep snagging my hair

MidnightSunlite
December 30th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Um.. I shall resist cutting myself bangs...again! :D
I want hip length hair D: I should be able to get it... maybe xD
S&D Trim
Wear sleeping cap
Wear protective styles more
Keep up with flat iron once a month or every other month (>_< I love straight hair *sigh* plus no curly fly aways! Which means no gel or hair spray yay)

ProverbsGirl
December 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM
I'm glad this thread is here. I have no one to talk to about my hair. lol
My goals for 2014:
1. Stick to twice a week washing, and attempt a stretch to closer to once a week.
2. No trims until December. I went from November 2012-December 2013 without one..so I figured once a year for now (provided there is no visible damage) will do.
3. striving for 26-27 inches this year. My hair grows at a decent rate, and is currently at 21-22 inches. I'm thinking 5 inches in a year would be reasonable. It would put me in the middle of the mid back torture zone. lol actually though, now that it is as BSL i'm ok with the length..It is all good from here. :)
4. find new updo's. Since hitting BSL it has started to not like my normal buns/updo's...so time to experiment!
5. Get some new hair toys! starting with spin pins, and hair sticks.
6. Continue not blow drying, dying, highlighting or curling (except the bangs).

rach
December 31st, 2013, 10:34 AM
•Promise myself a few S&D sessions this year - grows fast if i actually bother "rolls eyes at self" .
•Oil more often.
•Do not cut a fringe/bangs in they don't behave on wavy hair (too much hassle) .
•Learn to be more fluent at my fake fringe/bangs technique to curb the above cutting craving.
•Buy more hair sticks - one stick is not working very well these days .
•Don't loose your hair sticks.

clioariane
January 2nd, 2014, 03:17 AM
- don't buy new products until I've used up my stash
- get a pair of shears
- start sleeping on a satin pillowcase
- continue with weekly deep conditioning treatments
- only one visit to the salon annually

Skade
January 2nd, 2014, 05:47 AM
For 2014 I will

* Enjoy the hairtoys I have instead of longing after new ones ;)

Thatīs a good one. I really need to remember this, and my wallet would be much happier.

Miasen
January 2nd, 2014, 06:15 AM
Hairwise I have one resolution: Do something fun with it. I'm bored with it, both the colour and the length. Growing longer ain't happening (I'm already past classic) so cutting shorter it is! For colour I'm thinking red, or purple. Fun hair>long hair for this year. :D

chen bao jun
January 2nd, 2014, 08:44 AM
I am going to make an opposite resolution than most--wash more often! I'm a 3c curly (actually looking like partly 3b now, though that may be curls being weighed down with some length) who grew up treating my hair as if it were type 4 and since it was either chemically straightened or straightened with a flat iron (or hot comb) or BOTH for a significant portion of my life I got used to str-e--etching washes. You do that when your hair is processed --its such a pain to re-straighten each time you wash that you put it off! Also, in my quest for length I have loved the fact that the longer between washes the straighter it gets (and hence looks longer). However I notice that my hair feels great the first 4 days or even 5 after a wash, but after that the ends especially get very very dry and now that it is bra strap (older) short pieces sometimes break off. I want to resolve to wash my hair every 4-5 as its no longer a troublesome thing to do at all. (I actually enjoy it, but old habits break hard).

Nae
January 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
My only resolution was to never again drink orange juice immediately after brushing my teeth. I did that on the 30th and that sealed the deal for me, yuck.

I have other health related things I am working on but they have been ongoing for months and aren't really resolutions.

diddiedaisy
January 2nd, 2014, 11:55 AM
Right just had my tape measure out, and even if it carries on at its measly 1cm a month, I will definitely make apl. So if it speeds up with a little help from biotin I may well make bsl. Hurrayyy

Oh, and I plan to only dye roots not full head in the hope the bottom of my hair will look nicer.

shutterpillar
January 2nd, 2014, 04:25 PM
Hair wise, in 2014 I am hoping to accomplish:

- Hip length, or very close to it. It all depends on how much I need to trim.
- Wear my hair up more often. It's already up a lot of the time, but I think I could stop being lazy and wear it up even more.
- Try new styles (to help me achieve my second goal.)
- DO NOT cut bangs into my hair again. If any of you see me talking about cutting bangs, you give me a virtual slap across the face back into reality. I love them, but I don't have the time or patience to maintain them, and somehow I always forget that.

sarahramen
January 4th, 2014, 02:18 PM
*once a week deep treatment/heavy oiling etc. I have slacked off severly in college and my hair has definetaly suffered
*I am now micro trimming and maintaining at my lower back dimples, so at begining or end of every month I will self trim until all of the damage, splits and thinness is gone
*S&D more often
*spend time making hair look presentable for school, pretty protective updos regularly
* use up hair product before buying more