PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting more and more curious about super-length hair

LauraLongLocks
December 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM
When I think of my hair growing longer, the idea pleases me. I like the idea of having beautiful, long tresses. I imagine that the longer it is, the happier I will be with it.

I've come across a few accounts from those with longer-than-reach hair where the person says their happiness factor diminished as their hair got longer than their reach. Is it less enjoyable when it gets to that length? What kinds of things do you have to learn when it gets that long? How does caring for your hair and styling change?

My hair has never been longer than it is right now, so I'm entering uncharted territory at this point. Now that I'm at waist, I know I never want it shorter than this. I'm loving it now more than ever before. The only thing that would make it better is having more of it.

I guess I'm sort of worried that I won't enjoy it when I reach my goal of 60" even though I know it will be beautiful. What can you tell me about having super-length hair?

Salmonberry
December 29th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I can't speak from experience, but I think it depends on what you want to do with your hair the majority of the time. If you love having it up and doing intricate braids and up dos, then super lengths may be for you. I've heard that once your hair gets past the length where you can sit on it, then it needs to be up most of the time to prevent major tangles and damage. You may also find that the extra weight in your buns gives you headaches ( I think this is more of a problem with super thick hair though.) I guess, just see how you like it when you get there. Congratulations on reaching waist by the way :)

Naiadryade
December 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I can't speak from experience either... but you may as well grow that long, you can always cut back after if it turns out you don't like it!

trolleypup
December 29th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Having the choice to have it up and out of the way allows me to enjoy having it down when I feel like it. Still enjoying it at calf.

HintOfMint
December 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I haven't had "super-length" hair but I can say that at BCL/TB, the tangles aren't worse than they were at waist, so in the short term I'd say you're fine there! I'd just relax and enjoy the growing process (I'm a total hypocrite, perfectly aware!) and if you start to feel frustrated that what you wanted isn't turning out so great in reality, the scissors are always there.

leslissocool
December 29th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I'm less than an inch from classic, and yes tangles are far worse at this length than any. At waist my hair did not feel long, so I know that waist-BSL is not "long" enough for me. Even hip feels really short. It makes a difference, those 8 inches for me past TBL.

Care wise, I do less to my hair now than I've ever done. Drying is a pain though, I think I want a bonnet dryer in the future as it gets longer...

Madora
December 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM
When I think of my hair growing longer, the idea pleases me. I like the idea of having beautiful, long tresses. I imagine that the longer it is, the happier I will be with it.

I've come across a few accounts from those with longer-than-reach hair where the person says their happiness factor diminished as their hair got longer than their reach. Is it less enjoyable when it gets to that length? What kinds of things do you have to learn when it gets that long? How does caring for your hair and styling change?

My hair has never been longer than it is right now, so I'm entering uncharted territory at this point. Now that I'm at waist, I know I never want it shorter than this. I'm loving it now more than ever before. The only thing that would make it better is having more of it.

I guess I'm sort of worried that I won't enjoy it when I reach my goal of 60" even though I know it will be beautiful. What can you tell me about having super-length hair?

LauraLongLocks, you've hit the nail on the head re: having super long hair. Many (including myself) are intrigued by the idea of having super long hair (knee length and longer) but the reality is another thing.

Having super long hair requires a great deal of patience with just about everything. Snarls, in particular, are not fun at that length. Dealing with shampooing isn't much fun either. My greatest frustration is when I'm braiding my crown accent braid. My hair is about an inch longer than my fingertips and keeping the strands separate when I braid is a sometimes thing. I usually "shake" the strands separate but that doesn't always work. (By way of explanation: Because of fallen arches, I usually sit while braiding. I start my crown braid in front of my right ear then braid across my forehead until I reach the front of my left ear, then I stand and continue to braid around the back of my head. It is at the point where I change hands when braiding that I start to have trouble keeping the strands separate. I can't let go of the braid because I lose my fingering positions and trying to find them again is an exercise in frustration. So "shaking" out the 3 strands is the only way I can keep them separate. My other "go to" styles are a Coronet braid, Heidi Braids, and a loosely braided bun on top of my head.

Personally speaking, I prefer styles that section the hair so that it isn't all glommed on one particular point on the head. Distributing the weight of your longer hair is the key to wearing it comfortably for longer periods of time. Also, if you have a good grasp of how to style your hair you'll find it a lot more appealing. So many folks swear that they'll never, ever let a pair of scissors near their hair...but they fall by the wayside when reality rears its ugly head. Long hair takes time and buckets of patience. The results are well worth it and I salute the ladies and gents with ultra long hair.

I've just about reached my goal of knee (a few strands) but come May I'll take a picture and then cut back to wrist length or so, which easier to deal with re: braiding.

Good luck on your journey!

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I agree with madora that's the goal we should all strive towards loving our hair no matter what length we grow to loving our hair is what keeps us going

torrilin
December 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM
It seems like tailbone is a damage breakpoint for many. And honestly, it's a good "in between" length. You can have hair that's fairly ridiculous in real world terms and is definite fairy tale princess hair... and still have quite minimal upkeep. Not sure yet, but I'm shifting into maintain mode, and around tailbone seems to be the right place for me.

I can't speak to past classic, and I probably won't ever except by accident :). The big thing I notice in posters talking about past fingertip being a problem is they tend to have (comparatively) tangle resistant hair. I can easily wind up with my hair so snarled and proto-dreadlocked at BSL that it will take about 8 hours to detangle. This is normal for my hair. And well, I hate it. So my hair is up most of the time to keep the tangle problems down to something I can live with, rather than at a level that produces razor fantasies. Sometimes for my scalp, sometimes for my wrists... either way, it's better for me to not go there. So my hair goes up and mostly stays up.

But the relentless tangling means that I routinely section my hair to detangle it. I routinely grab sections and work from the cut ends up, and I'm usually stabilizing things so the detangling at the ends can't make higher up tangles worse. Doing big long strokes from scalp to cut tips is just not realistic. It'd be a great way to break my comb and my hair. That kind of maneuver is reserved for when my hair is already thoroughly detangled... and even then I don't do it much. I'm just not that much of a contortionist. Folks who stay at super long lengths all seem to stick with variations on the method I chanced upon. And well, combing stuff out against your leg vs a shoulder blade or boob, definitely easier.

If wearing your hair down is a big deal? Super long probably isn't for you.

LauraLongLocks
December 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the great feedback. I enjoy wearing my hair up, but on rare occasion, I like to wear it down, provided there will be no children or wind. I would hope for a special occasion, even knee length hair could be worn down, if the weather conditions were just right, but I don't have any experience with it.

So, what I'm hearing is that if I want super long hair, I need to have a lot of patience, in all the care and handling it requires, from washing to drying to styling. I guess the measure of whether it is worth it to me will only be known once I reach that goal. For now, I'm excited for my next landmark of SOLID waist. I have been posting my hairstyles and length shots on Facebook, and just posted that my goal is knee length hair. So, everyone knows that's what I'm going for now! I have to be woman enough to make it, now that I've told everyone that's what I'm doing. I just hope I really, really love it.

Madora
December 29th, 2013, 05:40 PM
The great thing about the journey to knee is that you are gradually easing into it, learning what works for your hair, etc. Also, you have plenty of time to experiment with hairstyling, which is a major plus in my book. No need to get bored if you have plenty of styles to choose from.

Wearing your hair down for special occasions is wonderful, providing you take measures to detangle it every so often.

As far as posting on Facebook, don't let anyone deride you for your ultimate goal. It's your hair to enjoy any way you see fit. Knee length hair is very rare in this day and age and if you want to do it, more power to you!

Silverbrumby
December 29th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Btw, do you have long haired relatives in the family? I only ask because of genetics and terminal length.

EdG
December 29th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I say "go for it!" :rockerdud

I figure why not? Plus, compared to other things that one can do for the sake of doing them, having super-long hair is much less dangerous than, say, going sky diving. ;)
Ed

Chromis
December 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Wait, does this mean I'm a super hero now? Or just my hair :lol:

I have found the opposite is true for me. As my hair gets longer it has gotten easier to deal with. I have a better variety in updos and on the rare instance I want to wear it down, it will now sit neatly in my lap when seated instead of falling in my face and eyes. I don't wear it down if there is wind and put it up when I need to do things, but really I think that is just common sense even at shorter lengths. I don't understand how other people run around with their hair in their faces and falling into things all the time, that would drive me nuts! Maybe they have their own super power of magically charged follicles that know just how to whip their hair free of obstructions. :laugh:

I don't have any more trouble with tangles now than I did before since I wear it up mostly and braid it for night. The only time this is a hassle is if I have let my hemline get too thin so I have a lot of braid taper. A bit of microtrimming usually sorts that right out and lets me continue growing. I seem to be at terminal around knee-ish for the moment, but others have broken out of years long stalls before, so I still hope to hit midcalf. It doesn't seem to take any longer to dry either now, the ends dry before the nape for me and I normally put it up damp.

spidermom
December 29th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Below about hip length, my ends dry out, split and break off, and it snarls together like Velcro. I tried for years to achieve (which I did) and maintain (which I couldn't) classic length, but the snarly ends drove me mad, especially after washing. The canopy below about waist length webbed together like felt.

I'm much happier with layered and waist length these days. I might take a run at longer hair again in the future when memory of how much I hated fighting with it fades.

LauraLongLocks
December 29th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Btw, do you have long haired relatives in the family? I only ask because of genetics and terminal length.

No one in my family has attempted super-long hair, as far as I know. I do have a cousin, and a married-into-the-family aunt who have had waist length hair, but no longer have hair that long.

I have no taper at waist, other than leftover layers that I'm eventually going to cut off. I've done an online terminal length calculator, and with my average shed rate of about 23 hairs a day (I counted for several weeks and took an average), being a brunette, and my growth rate of .75" per month, I have the potential of growing over 107 inches (or so says the calculator). Even if my growth rate slows to .5" a month, my potential is over 71 inches. I fully expect to be capable of growing to knee length with a fairly thick hemline.

Here's the link to the calculator: http://www.allvidzhaze.com/phptest/hairgrowth.html

Thank you for all the support for growing. I guess if I get to classic and decide that's all I can handle, I can tell my friends/family on Facebook that I decided to stop there. (I doubt I will... I usually do everything I set my mind to doing.)

Silverbrumby
December 29th, 2013, 11:52 PM
That's wonderful and the calculator worked for me as well. With my high shedding of 150 a day and 1/2 inch growth that's about right for me. I can't wait to see another beautiful head of hair. My terminal doesn't allow for anything past waist.

hanne jensen
December 30th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I don't shed very much and my growth rate is .75 inches a month. The calculator said 212.9 inches?!!! I don't buy it.

Quixii
December 30th, 2013, 04:03 AM
I don't really find "super length" hair more work than shorter hair. I keep it up a lot more often, because it's easier that way. But the only thing that's gotten more annoying is that braids feel like they take forever to do and it feels weird to try to braid "beyond your reach," because the tensions different. Same goes for brushing/detangling. It just takes getting used to the different tension, when you realize that you've reached the end of your reach and there's still more hair.

But I still have an arsenal of quick buns and such I can do at any moment (try having a person with short hair get all their hair up on a secure bun in 45 seconds!), which I think makes long hair really easy.

ladyfey
December 30th, 2013, 04:42 AM
I haven't found ankle to be too much work. Truly I don't get many tangles, because it is up most of the time. I also have found my holy grail shampoo and conditioner, which I didn't have when it was a bit shorter also the Tangle Teezer, which I love. When it wasn't so long and I wore it down all the time, tangles like mad! I also don't find washing to be difficult, I just wash the scalp and combing through conditioner isn't hard, since there are very few tangles. I do need to wash frequently (every other day) and that helps keep the tangles down too, since it gets conditioner combed through it that often.

Chromis
December 30th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I don't really find "super length" hair more work than shorter hair. I keep it up a lot more often, because it's easier that way. But the only thing that's gotten more annoying is that braids feel like they take forever to do and it feels weird to try to braid "beyond your reach," because the tensions different. Same goes for brushing/detangling. It just takes getting used to the different tension, when you realize that you've reached the end of your reach and there's still more hair.

But I still have an arsenal of quick buns and such I can do at any moment (try having a person with short hair get all their hair up on a secure bun in 45 seconds!), which I think makes long hair really easy.

Q - For braiding beyond my reach, I wrap my braid round my neck like a scarf. Works like a charm. I can still keep a gentle tension if I like without choking myself, but I usually don't make my night braids too perfect anyhow. I will admit it does take a few minutes now compared to before! You'd think I'd get faster over time...

DweamGoiL
December 30th, 2013, 08:13 AM
@LL - I think every woman deserves to satiate her curiosity as to how long her hair can grow, or at least how long can it get before you don't enjoy it anymore.

When I had TBL, it wasn't any more difficult than now (about 1" shy of waist), but I will echo that everything did require much more patience (detangling, washing, definitely drying, etc.). I used to wear it up mostly because I was always on the go and having lovely flowing locks getting caught up in everything was no fun, particularly on the subway or my task chair at work. I also did struggle with the weight of it. I have fine hair, but it was very thick so many times I would get headaches. As far as braiding, I have never been much of one so I would bun mostly and every time I did, my bun would come out differently. Everyone thought I came up with all these different twists and so, but it was just mostly let the hair wind itself and pin or hold it up with a stick...simply, luck of the draw :)

LauraLongLocks
December 30th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Q - For braiding beyond my reach, I wrap my braid round my neck like a scarf. Works like a charm. I can still keep a gentle tension if I like without choking myself, but I usually don't make my night braids too perfect anyhow. I will admit it does take a few minutes now compared to before! You'd think I'd get faster over time...

I would really like to see this in action. You wouldn't think of posting a video, or a picture tutorial, would you? I'm having a hard time picturing how you begin a braid, while having the hair wrapped around your neck. I'm excited to see how super-longhairs do it. And can you french/dutch braid at your length?

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I would really like to see this in action. You wouldn't think of posting a video, or a picture tutorial, would you? I'm having a hard time picturing how you begin a braid, while having the hair wrapped around your neck. I'm excited to see how super-longhairs do it. And can you french/dutch braid at your length?

The "around the neck" thingie is only after you've braided down a certain portion already. Then you just take the braid around your neck and continue braiding down.

LauraLongLocks
December 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM
The "around the neck" thingie is only after you've braided down a certain portion already. Then you just take the braid around your neck and continue braiding down.

So, after you start the braid, and you have tried to shake out the ends so they won't braid themselves, when you get it braided down a bit, you wrap it? Ah, so it sounds like the toughest part of the braiding would be the first bits when you are still up near the head. Better hope your ends aren't velcro-y, I guess. Thanks, ladies. I think I want to know what it's like to do this myself. Only 2.5-3 years before I'm out of my reach zone. That will be such an awesome discovery when it happens.

Lunnafindel
December 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Adding my 2 cents -I'm pretty sure I spend less work on my calf-length hair than most people spend on short hair. I've timed my braid and it takes about a minute and a half, and a bun is more like 30 seconds. Since it's always up, detailing is a synch (the only hard part is at my neck, which you already have).
And it's so much fun! It really is like having a secret super power -when you let your hair down, you become an instant celebrity, but you can always hide it and be normal. The hairstyle possibilities are awesome, and there's nothing like the feeling of hair tickling the back of your calves as you walk.
Come join us! ;)

AmyBeth
December 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I've been in deeply, passionately in love with the idea of having super-long hair all of my life. I know myself well enough to know that I would be just transported with joy if I could achieve such lengths. My genetics just won't allow me that pleasure. I do so enjoy all of the stories, though!

Bill D.
December 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM
@LL - I think every woman deserves to satiate her curiosity as to how long her hair can grow, or at least how long can it get before you don't enjoy it anymore.

Every guy, too. ;)

Especially when you are younger. As you get older you may find your terminal length decreasing somewhat. This often happens to women, but is especially the case for guys when we get male pattern baldness (MPB). I only had a year or less between the time my hair reached what seemed to be waist-length terminal (actually not, due to hard water, poor care, and breakage, but that's another story) and the time my head of hair started to thin and deteriorate due to the start of MPB (age 20).

So if you have good long hair genes, enjoy them!

Bill D.

LauraLongLocks
December 30th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Adding my 2 cents -I'm pretty sure I spend less work on my calf-length hair than most people spend on short hair. I've timed my braid and it takes about a minute and a half, and a bun is more like 30 seconds. Since it's always up, detailing is a synch (the only hard part is at my neck, which you already have).
And it's so much fun! It really is like having a secret super power -when you let your hair down, you become an instant celebrity, but you can always hide it and be normal. The hairstyle possibilities are awesome, and there's nothing like the feeling of hair tickling the back of your calves as you walk.
Come join us! ;)

Yay! I'm so excited to join you, eventually. I can say it's really nice to be out of the mid-back abyss at least. :) Having my hair tickle the back of my calves... that sounds so romantic.

long&blonde
December 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Talk about taking to benign neglect-I am 4 or 5 inches from classic, & washing my hair once every 14 days!? I read a comment someone with ankle length washed every 2 days?
is washing every 14 days a new record in bad behavior?

ladyfey
December 30th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with washing every 14 days, if your hair likes it - great! I have seborrheic dermatitis, so my ankle length hair does get washed every other day, poor scalp needs it!

Madora
December 30th, 2013, 01:55 PM
So, after you start the braid, and you have tried to shake out the ends so they won't braid themselves, when you get it braided down a bit, you wrap it? Ah, so it sounds like the toughest part of the braiding would be the first bits when you are still up near the head. Better hope your ends aren't velcro-y, I guess. Thanks, ladies. I think I want to know what it's like to do this myself. Only 2.5-3 years before I'm out of my reach zone. That will be such an awesome discovery when it happens.

Yes, once you start the first crossover of your braid, you need to keep those 3 strands separate to keep it from self braiding at the ends. Some folks are blessed with hair that never tangles, even at great lengths. I'm not one of them! Theoretically, you could clip the braid after each crossover...to hold it in place, while you then take up the braid and use your hands to undo any tangles at the ends. Once you have reached about 15 inches or so down, you then wrap the braid around your neck and continue braiding, which becomes much easier at that point.

I guess once your hair is longer than your fingers, hairstyling becomes a little more challenging in some aspects..especially if you want anything halfway intricate when braiding. I'm not a fan of buns, per se, because I don't like my hair pinned in one spot. Too much weight for me.

Chromis
December 30th, 2013, 03:19 PM

Heh, I thought I did, but I just have one showing how I wear my hair loose as a scarf when I need to get it out of the way. Shows my face though and this part of the forum is public. Madora gave a good explanation though, I start it in the back like normal and then once I get in a couple of braid bumps I bring it over one shoulder. Once I start getting to where I am reaching a little, I wrap it around my neck and keep braiding. It sounds more complicated than it is! Some people use a doorknob or their elbow.

I can indeed French and Dutch braid at my length, though I am not a very neat braider. My favourite daytime braided version of a French braid is the simplified Ellingwoman bun:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6792874460_9ec9c5cf69.jpg
I will admit I often cheat and stick a pin or two in to keep those pesky nape whispies up!

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6117/6345189131_2b4d21d8f5.jpg
This is the base braid. It is a French braid, but you skip about three crossovers to make the pocket that the bun wraps through. That's a terrible description though, do a search for the thread here or on YouTube. It's quite easy and you don't need to have Super Hair (tm)

PrincessBob
December 30th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I might be unhappy with my knee length hair if I didn't have the Tangle Teezer brushes and Hair Sense combs, but as it stands I love my hair and the trouble it is, is totally worth it to me. There is a learning curve to "super long hair" but the good news is that it takes a while to get there, and that way you have a chance to learn as you go. LHC has been the best resource for me, because we can learn from each other, too.

My greatest challenges are as follows: braiding, detangling at length, and getting accessories that don't hurt my tender scalp.

Braiding at any length past hip is troublesome because, as others noted, it likes to stick together at the bottom so simply flicking your wrist after a braid bump or two will not longer do the trick of separating all the strands of a given section from the strands of the other sections. I didn't even learn to french braid until my hair was classic length, and so much of the time it looks really bad or wonky, because I have to pause and run my fingers down the length of a section (new sections,as well as already worked sections require this) to separate it from all the other hair. I also sometimes even brush or comb a new section together with a working strand to reduce tangling issues, but all of this causes the already worked braid to shift, snag, loop, snarl, loosen and slip! I still don't french braid well, and almost never do it to wear on its own, but use it to have more stability for hair-taping milk-maid braids, or accents leading to buns.

I can no longer brush my hair while sitting (maybe if I get a custom made hair dressing stool and Vanity set?) and chronic pain makes it troublesome to stand in front of the bathroom counter to do (I find brushing in front of a mirror makes detangling infinitely easier). Luckily I do have the Tangle Teezer and Hairsense Super Detangle Rake to help with these issues. I was having a lot of trouble at waist with my cushion paddle brush, but it was the least painful of the hair brush choices I had found over the pre-LHC years (even if it did rip out handfuls of breakage every week). Now I do still get split ends, but I have very little hair loss due to breakage and almost every shed hair is scalp shed with the root bulb at the growing end of the hair.

Then there's the hair accessories thing. My best advice is to buy what you like,and sand the hell out of anything that comes with the slightest roughness or sharp edge. round every point ever so slightly, and if it is wood and doesn't have a lacquer finish, wet it and sand and repeat a few times to get a glassy smoothness. Distribute the weight of your 'do with hair pins or forks that are unobtrusive, so you can use your chosen hair accessory for the main base and decoration, and the pins can go around the edges for weight distribution (I like to make Wavelength pins out of double pointed knitting needles). Learning the right amount of tension for your hair and scalp can take a bit of practice, but it it so worth it to have a hairstyle that can stay put. I still take my hair down and re-do it several times a day to avoid "hot spots" caused by snagging and sagging hairstyles and accessories. Anything with an intricate topper is re-adjusted throughout the day to avoid snags.

My advice is to be gentle with your hair as often as possible, and enjoy it how you want to enjoy it. I like to braid mine, or wear it up with pretty and smooth and sturdy hair accessories like sticks and forks from my favorite vendors/makers. I want my hair and accessories to be something my future kids and grandkids admire, the same way my Grandma's hair inspired me.

Now that I have reached my next goal (knee) I will be maintaining at knee for a while and in years to come maybe I'll reach my ultimate goal of having hair as long as I am tall (69" which would be lower calf when you take the length of the curve of my scalp into account), or go shorter (not shorter than tailbone, though). We'll see.

LauraLongLocks
December 30th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I might be unhappy with my knee length hair if I didn't have the Tangle Teezer brushes and Hair Sense combs, but as it stands I love my hair and the trouble it is, is totally worth it to me. There is a learning curve to "super long hair" but the good news is that it takes a while to get there, and that way you have a chance to learn as you go. LHC has been the best resource for me, because we can learn from each other, too...

...My advice is to be gentle with your hair as often as possible, and enjoy it how you want to enjoy it. I like to braid mine, or wear it up with pretty and smooth and sturdy hair accessories like sticks and forks from my favorite vendors/makers. I want my hair and accessories to be something my future kids and grandkids admire, the same way my Grandma's hair inspired me.

Thank you for the well-thought-out and organized response. It's good to hear that so many super-long-hairs love their super lengths. It's also nice to know that you'll all be here for me when I make it, so you can help me when I have questions. It seems like it is a long way off now, but I guess it really isn't. I mean, just keeping my hair up for another 1000 days or so and I'll be there, right?

jrmviola
December 30th, 2013, 06:44 PM
According to the mirror, im somewhere between classic and knee, something like 40% there. Anyways I dont have any new problems that werent there when it was considerably shorter. I can still reach the ends to braid, not a problem, and no headaches because my hair is not considerably thick, although when its oily it itches and pulls funny. But that is not a new problem for me either. If you want long hair take it in steps and go for it. If it starts to act up pause until you learn new tricks to deal. But as yet as long as i keep my ends conditoned and oiled its no big deal to deal with. I dont have any major regrets with my length except that i can see through it...

gossamer
December 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Is it less enjoyable when it gets to that length? What kinds of things do you have to learn when it gets that long? How does caring for your hair and styling change?

What can you tell me about having super-length hair?

My hair is mid-calf when dry and pretty much ankle length when soaking wet and held straight. I originally planned to grow to terminal before cutting, but now I have to compromise and say I'll cut when it hits floor. Honestly, although I like it most of the time, there are some days I just can't wait to get it back at a shorter, more manageable length.

I must disagree with Salmonberry about super lengths lending themselves to intricate braids and updos. I definitely can't do fancy braids because of the tangles that form because hair beyond my reach wraps around itself. I've pretty much stopped attempting something as "simple" as a French braid thanks to this. Actually, the more I think of it, the less I know what an elaborate updo without a bunch of braiding would look like. I'd welcome suggestions for those!

As is, I rotate between doing a lazy wrap bun, a nautilus bun, and a fake crown braid.

Here's how much my braid wraps around now:
http://i.imgur.com/dJmrWrO.jpg?1

I don't do the fancier styles that I did before it crept past knee. I definitely don't wear it down anymore, which is something I really do miss. While I'll never want short hair, I think after floor I'll trim back to knee and then probably classic/hip. I'll have to relearn all the buns though, I don't look forward to that!!

Things you have to learn? Automatically moving it out of the way of things. It's second nature now to scoop my braid tail up if I'm going to sit down or kneel to get something from a low shelf. Learning how to braid when your arms are shorter than your hair. What to do with it while it's wet and air drying down. I'll try to think of more things!

It's beautiful down, I really think it's pretty. But I never wear it down except around the house on occasion. Wearing it out garners more attention from strangers than I'm comfortable with and sometimes touching. Also, unpleasant comments about needing to cut it to give to kids with cancer.

ravenreed
December 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I stopped enjoying my hair as much when I hit FT length. I decided to go back to classic and hang out there a bit. The problems I have been having are that it was so long that I couldn't cut it myself, my sleep braid was getting caught underneath my butt and pinning my head to the bed so I couldn't sit up, I couldn't EVER wear it down (I can at classic), and the heaviness meant that braids and buns were horribly uncomfortable. I think that you won't know til you get there, and when it gets too much, it will be an easy fix. You just back up a bit until you find the length that you do like.

LauraLongLocks
December 30th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Thank you for all the frank comments about the ups and downs of having super-length hair. It helps give one a better idea of what to expect. And ravenreed is right, it's a quick fix if I decide that I don't like it.

Quixii
December 30th, 2013, 10:16 PM
When people ask me when I'm going to cut my hair (because apparently that's near the top of the list to ask people with long hair :rolleyes: ) I respond truthfully, "When I don't like it any more." Because cutting it is a quick and easy fix, but growing it out takes time! And so far, I do still like it. :)

And yes, the moving it out of the way thing becomes second nature pretty quick. It's funny because sometimes I'll find myself moving my head the way I do to swing my hair out of the way, but then remember my hair's in a bun and it's unnecessary. :lol:

trolleypup
December 31st, 2013, 12:26 AM
Talk about taking to benign neglect-I am 4 or 5 inches from classic, & washing my hair once every 14 days!? I read a comment someone with ankle length washed every 2 days? Is washing every 14 days a new record in bad behavior?
Nope. And if 14 days is your regular schedule, then it isn't even in the neighborhood of being bad! Now, going weeks past your regular schedule of once a week...

Things you have to learn? Automatically moving it out of the way of things. It's second nature now to scoop my braid tail up if I'm going to sit down or kneel to get something from a low shelf. Learning how to braid when your arms are shorter than your hair. What to do with it while it's wet and air drying down. I'll try to think of more things!
Mmhmm...I kneel down normally, but standing up so as not to step on my hair is pretty special! Sweeping your arm back so that your doesn't get a chance to rub against the catchy thing on that side...

And yes, the moving it out of the way thing becomes second nature pretty quick. It's funny because sometimes I'll find myself moving my head the way I do to swing my hair out of the way, but then remember my hair's in a bun and it's unnecessary. :lol:
:misskim:

Or shaking my head slightly to 1) check to see if it is bunned, or 2) see how falling out the bun is.

ladyfey
December 31st, 2013, 04:59 AM
Mine was always, remembering to pick it up and put the hair in the car with me, so that I don't close the car door on it. That was when I wore it down a lot.

Frankie
January 5th, 2014, 05:46 AM
Hello!
I have hair which drags on the floor when it's down, and I love it, but it does affect my life in so many ways. Standing on it is horrid, and it gets caught in everything even in a long braid, so I'll usually have it up in a bun or wrap my braid around my neck. I don't wash it, just comb it out every couple of days. When it's tangled, it can take up to 6 hours to comb. I can't do the intricate braids I used to because as others have pointed out, it's impossible to separate the strands down to the bottom.
As it gets longer, you just adapt to it- there are so many different styles which emerge. The main thing I've noticed is the way it affects my movement- I can't move my neck freely when it's in an updo because it's all about balance and weight distribution. When it's loose, or in braids, I have to be very aware of where it is, it's like having an extra limb or a pet.
I would say, keep going with it even if it's just an experiment! Hair is fascinating.

Angelica
January 5th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I'd love to see a full length photograph of your hair Frankie. I can't achieve really long locks, but I am fascinated by Rapunzel length hair. :)

chen bao jun
January 5th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Bump.. this thread is fascinating. I am another one who won't ever achieve this.

Kikina
January 5th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I've always wanted amazingly long hair, but I'm aware that once it starts going below classic, it get harder to maintain. Besides being heavy, there are other cons: wearing it down is just not practical (but I love long hair worn down), updos and other hairstyles are difficult and often lead to headaches.
I have decided to grow my hair as long as I want, and once it starts turning into a burden, I will cut it to waist or maybe hip length and donate what has been cut off. I'm really fond of the idea of my hair turning into a wig for e.g. a child which has went bald after a chemo or something. :o

lapushka
January 5th, 2014, 10:52 AM
I've always wanted amazingly long hair, but I'm aware that once it starts going below classic, it get harder to maintain. Besides being heavy, there are other cons: wearing it down is just not practical (but I love long hair worn down), updos and other hairstyles are difficult and often lead to headaches.

That's my prime worry as well; will it still be easy enough to wash, dry, and maintain when past a certain length? Doing updos will remain about the same, I guess (cinnabun is pretty universal since reaching waist for me). It's mostly the washing, drying and will the length not be in the way.

trolleypup
January 5th, 2014, 02:43 PM
That's my prime worry as well; will it still be easy enough to wash, dry, and maintain when past a certain length? It's mostly the washing, drying and will the length not be in the way.
Lessee yesterday was wash day. Full detangle (~15 minutes); actual wash: wet, light dilute shampoo on scalp area, rinse down length, strong spray/jet throughout the roots, (skipped last night-conditioner on the lower length), vinegar risne scalp area, water rinse, plus other shower duties interspersed (~20 minutes); microfiber turban (~15 minutes); air dry (~2 hours); full detangle (~10 minutes). I'll note that the air dry was mostly done sitting at the bar at a favorite restaurant eating dinner and sipping a mojito, and the final detangle was this morning.

Yours would probably be a bit more involved because of the fineness, but this routine hasn't changed much in a long time. Once I got over flipping it forward to wash (OMG the tangles that causes) around mid back, all the changes have been LHC refinements rather than structural changes required by the length. Another foot (I wish!) of length wouldn't change this routine other than the length would be past floor.

Honestly, it is no more in the way than it was at classic...or my unconscious protective movements have gotten that much better. The next milestone would be hazards of stepping on the ends approaching floor length...and that is a long ways away.

LauraLongLocks
January 5th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Hello!
I have hair which drags on the floor when it's down, and I love it, but it does affect my life in so many ways. Standing on it is horrid, and it gets caught in everything even in a long braid, so I'll usually have it up in a bun or wrap my braid around my neck. I don't wash it, just comb it out every couple of days. When it's tangled, it can take up to 6 hours to comb. I can't do the intricate braids I used to because as others have pointed out, it's impossible to separate the strands down to the bottom.
As it gets longer, you just adapt to it- there are so many different styles which emerge. The main thing I've noticed is the way it affects my movement- I can't move my neck freely when it's in an updo because it's all about balance and weight distribution. When it's loose, or in braids, I have to be very aware of where it is, it's like having an extra limb or a pet.
I would say, keep going with it even if it's just an experiment! Hair is fascinating.

I like braids and I also like buns. I already miss being able to lean my head back and rest it on the headrest of the seat in the car, or in the recliner chair at home. Buns get in the way with that, but if I have it down or in a braid, I'm sure to get it stuck or caught on something. It's not too much of a bother for me to not want my hair this length or longer. I am getting the idea from the wonderful responses in this thread that even if I decide I don't like it, growing to great lengths will be a good experiment for me, and I can easily change it if I decide I don't like it anymore. Well, I'm not anywhere near hating my hair at this point, so I'm continuing to grow.

swearnsue
January 5th, 2014, 02:53 PM
The next milestone would be hazards of stepping on the ends approaching floor length...and that is a long ways away

:pray: That would be a wonderful problem!!!

I'll note that the air dry was mostly done sitting at the bar at a favorite restaurant eating dinner and sipping a mojito

LOL! Here is me in the far far future: "Hubby, would you bring me my mojito, I'm drying my hair and don't want to step on it" He wouldn't mind either because he likes my long hair! I don't know what a mojito is but it sounds good.

Lunnafindel
January 5th, 2014, 05:33 PM
After reading this thread, I made a mini new-years resolution to wear my hair down a little more often, just for fun. My first day trying it, I got a lot of comments without even leaving the house. But I'd braided it tight the day before and had braid waves, so it looked different - here's the picture my sister took:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/11788589026_231fabd24e.jpg
It was fun, but I had to put it up every time I got in a car. I figure I can switch between a nautilius bun and wearing it down pretty easily, so I'll try that more throughout the year.

MissBubble
January 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM
^ gorgeous hair! I really like to see such a long hair down.

I am also flirting with the idea to just let them grow and see how it goes.
But although I like and admire so much the classic length and beyond (too bad they are non existant where I live) I think that there will be a point, maybe when I could sit on them, that I'd get tired of taking care of the hair and watch out every moment etc. But I don't know, I have only been until waist.

LauraLongLocks
January 5th, 2014, 06:18 PM
After reading this thread, I made a mini new-years resolution to wear my hair down a little more often, just for fun. My first day trying it, I got a lot of comments without even leaving the house. But I'd braided it tight the day before and had braid waves, so it looked different - here's the picture my sister took:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/11788589026_231fabd24e.jpg
It was fun, but I had to put it up every time I got in a car. I figure I can switch between a nautilius bun and wearing it down pretty easily, so I'll try that more throughout the year.

Oh my gosh, your hair is so beautiful. Stunning, really. I bet it is fun to show it off a little every now and then. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Fairlight63
January 5th, 2014, 06:28 PM
WOW, Lunnafindel Your hair is:thudpile: Absolutely beautiful! You are my new hair idol!

Fairlight63
January 5th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I was wondering those of you with super long hair, how often do you trim your hair? do you do micro trims ever so often, or do you wait until it reaches your goal length then trim it back some? do you trim it at all, if so how often?
Very interesting thread!

LauraLongLocks
January 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I was wondering those of you with super long hair, how often do you trim your hair? do you do micro trims ever so often, or do you wait until it reaches your goal length then trim it back some? do you trim it at all, if so how often?
Very interesting thread!

I watched a YouTube video by CinnamonHair and she said while she was still growing her hair out to knee length, she would trim it just once a year, whatever she felt she needed to trim. Now that she is maintaining knee length, she cuts it about every four months, all the new growth each time. I'm sure the answers vary.

Quixii
January 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Personally, I trim my hair pretty randomly. I think I trimmed it a couple months ago, because the right side was a bit longer than the left side and I decided I would cut an inch off and hope that solved that problem. Before, that I hadn't trimmed in a while. Knowing that I could be approaching terminal, I try not to trim too often because I want to give it every chance to grow.
I S&D every now and then.

I'm honestly pretty lazy about my hair. Benign neglect is my favourite thing. :laugh:

chen bao jun
January 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Add me to the thudpile, Lunnafindel
Keep us updates on how the loose hair works out, too.

trolleypup
January 5th, 2014, 09:25 PM
S&D only, given the fairytaling, and the average length increase being much less than my average growth, little trims would just grow out to the same shape quickly.

lapushka
January 6th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Lessee yesterday was wash day. Full detangle (~15 minutes); actual wash: wet, light dilute shampoo on scalp area, rinse down length, strong spray/jet throughout the roots, (skipped last night-conditioner on the lower length), vinegar risne scalp area, water rinse, plus other shower duties interspersed (~20 minutes); microfiber turban (~15 minutes); air dry (~2 hours); full detangle (~10 minutes). I'll note that the air dry was mostly done sitting at the bar at a favorite restaurant eating dinner and sipping a mojito, and the final detangle was this morning.

Yours would probably be a bit more involved because of the fineness, but this routine hasn't changed much in a long time. Once I got over flipping it forward to wash (OMG the tangles that causes) around mid back, all the changes have been LHC refinements rather than structural changes required by the length. Another foot (I wish!) of length wouldn't change this routine other than the length would be past floor.

Honestly, it is no more in the way than it was at classic...or my unconscious protective movements have gotten that much better. The next milestone would be hazards of stepping on the ends approaching floor length...and that is a long ways away.

Washing forward here as well! Detangle pre-wash 5 min., washing routine between 10-15 min., turbie 15 min., airdry 1h to 1h30min., then blowdry 5 min. tops. Yeah, it's not such a difference already. This shouldn't be too much of a hassle. If I can see it's possible, then that's such an encouragement to let it grow longer!!!

Remi
March 16th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Thank you all for such great advice and inspirational photos!

darklyndsea
March 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Question: does air-drying time change significantly past about classic length? I'm wondering if I should start training myself to get up earlier on wash days.

Madora
March 16th, 2014, 02:58 PM
No, I haven't noticed any difference in air drying time once I past classic. Still takes about 20-25 minutes outdoors..or 45 minutes indoors (with an electric heater).

Crumpet
March 16th, 2014, 03:04 PM
No, I haven't noticed any difference in air drying time once I past classic. Still takes about 20-25 minutes outdoors..or 45 minutes indoors (with an electric heater).

Wow! That's really fast Madora. Your hair is so much thicker (and longer!) than mine also.

Madora
March 16th, 2014, 06:16 PM
Wow! That's really fast Madora. Your hair is so much thicker (and longer!) than mine also.

I have a method I use that helps a lot!

DakarNick
March 16th, 2014, 07:10 PM
darklyndsea, wasn't your hair at classic before your cut a while back? Or not quite that long?

LauraLongLocks
March 16th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I used Madora's technique this winter along with my blowdryer on cool, and mine is dry in about 12-15 minutes. I have a youtube video on it, but mine is only waist length right now. Still so short. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgB6WhMl4Y At least, I *think* I understand Madora's technique. Madora, do I have it right? Anyway, it works really well. In summer, I'm guessing I'll be able to either go outdoors and do it, or use a fan to help it along.

darklyndsea
March 16th, 2014, 07:25 PM
darklyndsea, wasn't your hair at classic before your cut a while back? Or not quite that long?

I'm at slightly longer than classic right now (haven't updated any pictures). But it's the longest my hair's ever been, since I got irritated at it and chopped the last time Inwas at classic, so I'm not sure how it's going to behave as it gets longer than this.

TheGoddess
March 18th, 2014, 06:37 AM
Well my hair is like down to my hips and When it was shorter that was my goal, I thought hip length would be perfect, but now I want it longer. It's almost an obsession. You know what they say though: the grass is greener on the other side. At least its not an unhealthy obsession like I am with my weight :/

bunzfan
March 18th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Hmmm i wonder if one day i will have super long hair, i came here at apl thinking mid back length was really long and my ultimate goal and i'm passing hip and it just looks so short :lol: i guess that's the hair forum effect. Seriously though i tell myself when it reaches the next milestone it will look long but it never does and someone said the other day wow hip length that's super long i looked at them in surprise and said but don't you think thats rather short ..i got this response

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/Fran-Drescher-Shocked-Reaction-Gif-On-The-Nanny_zpse1bfd38a.gif (http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/emmerline1/media/Fran-Drescher-Shocked-Reaction-Gif-On-The-Nanny_zpse1bfd38a.gif.html)

Madora
March 18th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I used Madora's technique this winter along with my blowdryer on cool, and mine is dry in about 12-15 minutes. I have a youtube video on it, but mine is only waist length right now. Still so short. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbgB6WhMl4Y At least, I *think* I understand Madora's technique. Madora, do I have it right? Anyway, it works really well. In summer, I'm guessing I'll be able to either go outdoors and do it, or use a fan to help it along.

Yes, LauraLongLocks, you've got the technique right. You fan a little bit differently than I do but hey, if it works for you, go for it! I notice that you only use the dryer (on the cool setting) on the top of your head) so that you don't tangle the rest of the hair. But you'll dry your hair quicker with the fanning method if you use the dryer along the strands and not just on top. I don't know how awkward this would be, but just a thought to help hasten the drying procedure. As you know, I don't use a dryer myself, but be that as it may, you understand the concept that to get your detangled hair dry quickly, you need to keep it moving and the air circulating through it (by hand motions "fanning" or by using a dryer on the cool setting). Nice video.

dededede123
March 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Hi! For a brief history, I've had my hair at or past mid thigh for the past six years. It's currently three inches past my knees but I'm planning on trimming back six inches next week. I tend to let it grow out for a year then trim it back until it's a few inches above my knees but I've been lazy so I haven't trimmed in two and a half years now. I haven't experienced any kind of unhappiness from having met my goal length, though there are hassles you have to adapt to.

As previous posters have said, learning how to put up a balanced updo helps a lot and I do that when I absolutely need my hair up and away (these include taking a shower, going to the beach, etcetc). Day to day, I tie my hair into a doubled big knot then secure the knot with a hairtie, which prevents it from getting snagged on everything. I sometimes do fancy pinterest type braids but only max, once a month. When I'm traveling, I'll take the time to detangle (20 mins on a good day, an hour if not) and braid my hair back so the constant friction from bus/plane seats/etc doesn't damage it.

When I leave my hair down and go out, I get stares from other pedestrians on the street. When I'm in Hong Kong/Canada I hardly ever get people approaching me asking about my hair but when I was in USA/the Philippines, strangers would come up to me and sometimes pet it while complimenting the length. It's generally the first topic of conversation if someone I haven't met sees how long my hair is and mostly people compliment. I don't leave my hair down too often though, just because it does catch on everything.

Routine wise, I wash my hair once to twice a week depending on the weather and I've done so since my hair has been past my hips (almost 10 years now). It hasn't taken any longer to wash my hair now than it has then (30-40 minutes depending on what I feel like doing that wash) but it does take a bit longer to detangle beforehand. Ultimately I think it's worth it to have my hair this long and I wish you luck in getting to your goal :)

LauraLongLocks
March 18th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Yes, LauraLongLocks, you've got the technique right. You fan a little bit differently than I do but hey, if it works for you, go for it! I notice that you only use the dryer (on the cool setting) on the top of your head) so that you don't tangle the rest of the hair. But you'll dry your hair quicker with the fanning method if you use the dryer along the strands and not just on top. I don't know how awkward this would be, but just a thought to help hasten the drying procedure. As you know, I don't use a dryer myself, but be that as it may, you understand the concept that to get your detangled hair dry quickly, you need to keep it moving and the air circulating through it (by hand motions "fanning" or by using a dryer on the cool setting). Nice video.

Thanks! I've tried it by moving the blow dryer down the length, but then I didn't keep my hair as untangled as when I just keep it on the top. Keeping it up on top, pointed down does allow airflow through the length, however. It's working very well, and I really appreciate you sharing your technique (and your thumbs up on the video).

LauraLongLocks
March 18th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Hi! For a brief history, I've had my hair at or past mid thigh for the past six years. It's currently three inches past my knees but I'm planning on trimming back six inches next week. I tend to let it grow out for a year then trim it back until it's a few inches above my knees but I've been lazy so I haven't trimmed in two and a half years now. I haven't experienced any kind of unhappiness from having met my goal length, though there are hassles you have to adapt to.

As previous posters have said, learning how to put up a balanced updo helps a lot and I do that when I absolutely need my hair up and away (these include taking a shower, going to the beach, etcetc). Day to day, I tie my hair into a doubled big knot then secure the knot with a hairtie, which prevents it from getting snagged on everything. I sometimes do fancy pinterest type braids but only max, once a month. When I'm traveling, I'll take the time to detangle (20 mins on a good day, an hour if not) and braid my hair back so the constant friction from bus/plane seats/etc doesn't damage it.

When I leave my hair down and go out, I get stares from other pedestrians on the street. When I'm in Hong Kong/Canada I hardly ever get people approaching me asking about my hair but when I was in USA/the Philippines, strangers would come up to me and sometimes pet it while complimenting the length. It's generally the first topic of conversation if someone I haven't met sees how long my hair is and mostly people compliment. I don't leave my hair down too often though, just because it does catch on everything.

Routine wise, I wash my hair once to twice a week depending on the weather and I've done so since my hair has been past my hips (almost 10 years now). It hasn't taken any longer to wash my hair now than it has then (30-40 minutes depending on what I feel like doing that wash) but it does take a bit longer to detangle beforehand. Ultimately I think it's worth it to have my hair this long and I wish you luck in getting to your goal :)

Thank you for the snapshot of what it is like to live with super-length hair. I'm so excited to join the ranks someday.