PDA

View Full Version : Biotin side effects

diddiedaisy
December 29th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Hi all, I am thinking of taking biotin to get my hair going. However, I keep hearing that it gives people breakouts and it's putting me off. Has anyone had problems with side effects and if so how long do the side effects last for. Thanks

Of the Fae
December 29th, 2013, 05:03 AM
I have been on 100ug of biotin for about a month now and I haven't had any side effects. The only thing I did notice was a slight increase in acne, but that was easily solved with good skin care :) But it varies from person to person. I'd say try it, see what happens.
I've heard people with massive breakouts using vitamin B complex because the breakouts would be cause by the biotin lessening B intake?

RedNymph
December 29th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I tried it. I didn't notice a difference. I got a massive break out though. It wasn't worth it for me. But it could be different for other people.

Wildcat Diva
December 29th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I got these inflamed bumps in my scalp at my temples both separate times I tried it. Like they were huge zits just buried in there, and sore. Not fun.

Lyv
December 29th, 2013, 06:42 AM
A lot of people get breakouts but you can minimize it by drinking a lot of water and starting at a lower dose it usually stops after a couple of weeks.

Magalo
December 29th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I have a very acne prone skin, and I'm taking 2.5 mg (2000 mcg I think?) without getting breakouts. My hair and nails do grow noticeably quicker, too. :)

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2013, 06:50 AM
I've taken biotin for two years. I've never had a zit from it or ever come to think about it. I do agree try a small amount and work your way up.

Madora
December 29th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Haven't noticed any side effects (been taking it for over 2 years). Didn't do zilch for hair growth..but my nails grew a lot faster.

Firefox7275
December 29th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Hi all, I am thinking of taking biotin to get my hair going. However, I keep hearing that it gives people breakouts and it's putting me off. Has anyone had problems with side effects and if so how long do the side effects last for. Thanks

One of the members had kidney failure her medical team attributed to high dose biotin IIRC, can't remember the username but she is a nurse from the UK. Organ damage is generally permanent, only the skin and liver can regenerate.

Suggest you Google "Igors Infamous Biotin Rant".

ositarosita
December 29th, 2013, 08:37 AM
I have been taking biotin on and off for years ... the only side affects I suffer from are great skin, weight loss and increased quality of hair. I also drink a couple litres of water a day

BlueMajorelle
December 29th, 2013, 08:41 AM
as long as you consult your doctor first, and take the recommended dose, you should be fine. However, you shouldn't NEED to take it, biotin is a very common nutrient and you should get more than enough of it from just your diet.

Sources of biotin:
-Any vegetable (swiss chard is the best, but there's also a lot other green things and carrots)
-Any fruit (berries have the most)
-Nuts
-Milk
-Fish

YamaMaya
December 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM
A more balanced general skin hair and nails vitamin might mitigate the side effects. I take some I bought from ASDA and they seem to be working quite nicely, I've noticed my nails growing quite rapidly, not sure about my hair yet but I'm inching ever so slightly towards hip :)

KehtaNier
December 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I took it for awhile... Didn't really notice any growth spurts with my hair, but it does feel nicer, and my nails grow like crazy.
I stopped recently because of a pretty bad breakout that I wanted to encourage as much as possible to clear up. I dropped my old moisturizer and started using coconut oil at the same time. The breakout cleared quite quickly and I'm not sure if it's the lack of biotin, or the coconut oil that fixed it.

Valkyriejae
December 29th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I got breakouts at 5000mcg, so I've dropped down to 2500mcg and my skin has cleared up. Definitely watch out for signs of liver/kidney issues if you're megadosing (anything over the recommended I think 35mcg/day)

Long_hair_bear
December 29th, 2013, 10:50 AM
No huge breakouts here. Been taking for over a month!

Kaelee
December 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I think the recommended is 300mcg/day (according to my bottle of women's multivitamins, which has some biotin in it.) I wouldn't take any more than that. I'm not a fan of taking higher than recommended amounts without consulting a doctor (the exception being Emergen C when I know I've been exposed to some illness or other and want to give my immune system a kick in the pants, but that's for a short time only and it's one that doesn't build up in your system.)

I just don't think the benefits outweigh the risks of megadosing on things. Even if the bottle SAYS it's good for XYZ and SAYS to take that high dosage....just...no. :rolleyes:

Valkyriejae
December 29th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I think the recommended is 300mcg/day (according to my bottle of women's multivitamins, which has some biotin in it.) I wouldn't take any more than that. I'm not a fan of taking higher than recommended amounts without consulting a doctor (the exception being Emergen C when I know I've been exposed to some illness or other and want to give my immune system a kick in the pants, but that's for a short time only and it's one that doesn't build up in your system.)

I just don't think the benefits outweigh the risks of megadosing on things. Even if the bottle SAYS it's good for XYZ and SAYS to take that high dosage....just...no. :rolleyes:

According to the Mayo clinic there isn't an actual RDA or RNI for biotin, but the usual amount for deficiencies is "Adolescents and adults—30 to 100 mcg." I got the 35mcg from the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine, but I'd trust the Mayo over them.

I also totally agree with you about megadosing - I regret having tried to go as high as 5000mcg. I got no benefits compared to lower doses, and I'm still waiting for the scars to clear from my breakouts. (Yes I am still megadosing at 2500mcg, but I've been seriously considering cutting that back when my current bottle of pills runs out.)

LauraLongLocks
December 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I've been taking biotin since December 9th, and so far, no breakouts or ill effects of any kind. And for that matter, I don't think my hair has grown any faster, either. I'm waiting until January 9th, to see a full month's growth and compare it to my regular growth rate. The bottle I found at my local drugstore was 10,000 mcg. So, it's pretty high. I'm probably going to finish out my bottle, in any case. I think it is helping my nails to be stronger, but not to grow any faster.

blue_eyes
December 29th, 2013, 03:29 PM

I've been taking 10,000 mcg for months and haven't had any side affects. I heard about breakouts occurring but it never happened to me. Everyone is different, so I don't think you'll know until you try it :)

diddiedaisy
December 29th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Kidney failure!!!!! And there's me worrying about spots. I'm just so desperate to get my hair growing faster. 1cm in six weeks :(((( not sure I want to risk my kidneys with a high dose though!!!

Kaelee
December 29th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Kidney failure!!!!! And there's me worrying about spots. I'm just so desperate to get my hair growing faster. 1cm in six weeks :(((( not sure I want to risk my kidneys with a high dose though!!!

If your hair is growing that slowly you may have a medical reason for it (including biotin deficiency). I would ask your doctor about it.

AngryVikingGirl
December 29th, 2013, 04:23 PM
It depends on the person. I had no problems with it.

Silverbrumby
December 29th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Never had an breakout issues. Didn't change my growth rate either in the years I've taken it. Nails are much stronger.

Has anyone noticed a bumpy feel to their individual hair shafts?

Pamala513
December 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I am suprised that moone here understands that when you are a,I g high doses of biotin, you must also take B-complex to counteract the side effect of acne. Taking both, you shouldn't have any problems with breakouts. (as explained by my Wellness Doctor) I have been taking both for 3 months, no problems whatsoever, just faster growing hair and nails.

LauraLongLocks
December 29th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I am suprised that moone here understands that when you are a,I g high doses of biotin, you must also take B-complex to counteract the side effect of acne. Taking both, you shouldn't have any problems with breakouts. (as explained by my Wellness Doctor) I have been taking both for 3 months, no problems whatsoever, just faster growing hair and nails.

I failed to mention, I do take a b-complex.

Firefox7275
December 29th, 2013, 05:09 PM

What is worth appreciating us that acne is a sign of your largest organ (skin) being under stress in some way. The skin is an organ of excretion and acne is an inflammatory condition: systemic inflammation is implicated in a huge range of serious health problems, so you want to limit it. The body needs a balance of nutrients, these work synergistically and in opposition so you can do more harm than good randomly supplementing.

Have you done the basics of reviewing your daily diet, making it as nutrient dense and varied as possible? Are you wasting calories on processed foods or is everything pretty much as it comes off the plant or animal? Do you follow proven (for some individuals) and safe practices like scalp massage and regular physical activity? Get optimally healthy and you will achieve optimal growth within the limitations of your genetics. Nothing stopping you ensuring you consume plenty of biotin rich wholefoods.

Eden Iris
December 29th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Been taking it for a few weeks now, for the second time. Last time I was dealing with post-partum shed, and I noticed no major hair improvement or acne at 1 mg/day. This time around, I've been taking 2 mg/day, but only because the capsules are old, and I suspect they've lost potency. When I finish this bottle, I'll go back to 1 mg/day.

Effects so far: a few zits and an increase in hair growth from a mole. I used to have to pluck it once a month or so; now, it's every week. Still too soon to measure hair growth, and my nails have always been crazy strong and fast-growing.

Ashflower89
December 29th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I started taking 10,000mcg Biotin for a month or two and got lots of breakouts. After realizing 10,000 is WAY overkill, I switched to 1,000mcg and haven't had any problems since. Been taking the 1,000mcg for 5 months now.

Bruiser
December 29th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I took biotin with great success a couple years ago, my hair grow longer and stronger and I felt like it was thicker too, I had no side effects. I started taking it a couple months ago and has two massive breakouts! I don't normally get spots at all! I think the difference is that I was drinking a lot of water the first round of biotin and not so much this time. Drink lots of water!!!

duchess67
December 29th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I've been taking biotin for the last few months. I really haven't noticed any difference in my hair, but nails grow so much faster and is very strong. Drinking lots of water helps when taking biotin as it is a water-soluble vitamin.

diddiedaisy
January 5th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have bought a multi vitamin for women with all the b vits in. Hopefully this will help counteract any reactions I might get. If my biotin actually arrives that is!!!!

Pamala513
January 5th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I also take a multi vitamin with the b's in it, but my dr said its not enough and I should take a seperate Super b complex , which I do, it's cheap and I'm taking no chances on breakouts!

diddiedaisy
January 5th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I also take a multi vitamin with the b's in it, but my dr said its not enough and I should take a seperate Super b complex , which I do, it's cheap and I'm taking no chances on breakouts!

I was going to get a seperate one, but the shop I went to didn't have any and I couldn't be bothered going anywhere else lol. Oh well, looks like I'll be back at the shops next week.