PDA

View Full Version : Brazillian Blowout gone wrong pic

ErinLeigh
December 29th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I thought I would share this photo of my hair for anyone who wants to see what a Brazillian Blowout or Keratin Treatment done wrong can look like.
Now I have had good ones and have loved them..but always go into these with both sides of the story as they can go wrong. When I got my first BB I swore I found my HG hair treatment. It was pure love..eventually I learned they can go wrong. My photo is day 3 after getting a bad one. Ended up cutting that mess out. Too high heat, too many passes of iron, cheap product can result in this...

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/10a0c63f-a8f8-45d1-8df9-80ad8c91a606_zps4e8744f1.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/10a0c63f-a8f8-45d1-8df9-80ad8c91a606_zps4e8744f1.jpg.html)

TheWhiteRabbit
December 29th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Was this done recently? I heard someone say that BB's are made of a unsafe amount of formaldehyde

ErinLeigh
December 29th, 2013, 02:31 AM
This was the before pic to go with the after. Should have left it alone!
In the the day 3 gone wrong pic I had already taken scissors to it to try and help..as you see it didn't so I ended up getting it all cut out professionally.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0f8897ed.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0f8897ed.jpg.html)

ErinLeigh
December 29th, 2013, 02:41 AM
not learning my lesson I eventually got 2 more. Like I said when done right they are heaven. Next 2 went well. Not realizing how dry my hair was getting under the keratin treatment I went for another...This was in Oct this year and what resulted in the cutting hair off again.
This pic was 2 weeks after getting my final treatment (couldn't cut right away as I was on a vacation, had it done for vacation so i could have pretty vacation hair HA!).

I am posting these just because BB are a draw for some. If I can help one person by showing both sides of the coin this was worth posting and embarrassing myself. I posted these before but didn't tag it correctly and I want there to be a keratin gone wrong ref here in case someone is searching.

Luckily cutting and using lots of oils and moisture got me back to good hair. My hair is really nice textured now and funny enough it doesn't frizz anymore. Getting it naturally moisturized is what truly changed my hair for the good. Not these chemicals. My hair today is in my Signature (well an inch longer now but you get the point) It may be short and layered, but at least it is healthy and I finally learned my lesson.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/coconutcraze/Mobile%20Uploads/c0f9aa84-8923-40ce-83c6-ba089346ace7_zps122c7027.jpg (http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/coconutcraze/media/Mobile%20Uploads/c0f9aa84-8923-40ce-83c6-ba089346ace7_zps122c7027.jpg.html)

HintOfMint
December 29th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Thank you for posting this. My first time hearing about the Brazilian Blowout was in the same breath as how damaging it was (I believe it was through LHC actually) and the issue with formaldehyde, so fortunately, it's never tempted me. However, plenty of people only heard the good marketing and made unwise decisions as a result. One of my friends, whose mother is a hairdresser, actually recommended the treatment to me when I was getting frustrated with my waves and frizz. She was actually pretty surprised to hear that it could be really damaging. She knows how careful I am with my hair and wouldn't have recommended it to me otherwise.

ErinLeigh
December 29th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Was this done recently? I heard someone say that BB's are made of a unsafe amount of formaldehyde

they claim the levels are low. i dont believe it. even the formaldehyde free ones have other hydes that are dangerous too.
Ya, pretty recently to answer your question. You get a mask to wear if you want it so that should be a big scare right there.
When the iron passes over the chemicals it releases this steam. That steam irritates the eyes, nose and throat. My salon just unveiled the keratin room. It is a room isolated from others and has a special ventilation system so there is more to this than they are letting on in my opinion. Some salons refuse to do them to protect their employees and patrons health. I am not for them anymore. Once I started putting it all together and got out of my keratin haze I was pretty surprised I risked it.
I had no idea the first time, but knew better in subsequent visits.

ErinLeigh
December 29th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Thank you for posting this. My first time hearing about the Brazilian Blowout was in the same breath as how damaging it was (I believe it was through LHC actually) and the issue with formaldehyde, so fortunately, it's never tempted me. However, plenty of people only heard the good marketing and made unwise decisions as a result. One of my friends, whose mother is a hairdresser, actually recommended the treatment to me when I was getting frustrated with my waves and frizz. She was actually pretty surprised to hear that it could be really damaging. She knows how careful I am with my hair and wouldn't have recommended it to me otherwise.

yes, its weird how stylist suggest them. you would think they would be all" hell no" to wanted to breathe that in. I think a lot realy do not know what is really happening when breathing that in. I mean they tale a class on it but i am sure the dangers are glossed over. They are also trained that this makes hair healthier. not LOOKS healthier, but i have been told my many stylists it MAKES hair healthier which simply isn't true.

YamaMaya
December 29th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Gosh what a nightmare, even the name sounds horrifying to me.

bunnylake
December 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Stylists need to worry about the chemicals in these treatments much more than the clients getting them. My sister is a stylist and she's breathing in these fumes every day, all day. Salons have vents and stylists SHOULD wear masks but I don't think it's enough. I think people should boycott these treatments for this reason alone. It's just hazardous to other people's health and for what, vanity? Not worth it. I hope the BB loses popularity.

bunnylake
December 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM
yes, its weird how stylist suggest them. you would think they would be all" hell no" to wanted to breathe that in. I think a lot realy do not know what is really happening when breathing that in. I mean they tale a class on it but i am sure the dangers are glossed over. They are also trained that this makes hair healthier. not LOOKS healthier, but i have been told my many stylists it MAKES hair healthier which simply isn't true.

Unfortunately stylists are only taught what will make their salons money. Treatments like this rake in a ton of $$$. :/

bunnylake
December 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM

Unfortunately stylists are only taught what will make their salons money. Treatments like this rake in a ton of $$$. :/

HintOfMint
December 29th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Stylists need to worry about the chemicals in these treatments much more than the clients getting them. My sister is a stylist and she's breathing in these fumes every day, all day. Salons have vents and stylists SHOULD wear masks but I don't think it's enough. I think people should boycott these treatments for this reason alone. It's just hazardous to other people's health and for what, vanity? Not worth it. I hope the BB loses popularity.

Yup. Labor issues don't go away just because we're in a space for (usually female) vanity. It's the same issue I have with nonorganic food--the use of pesticides and the exposure that farm laborers have to them. We can wax philosophical about free choice and a virtually liquid labor market, but we know it's bull.

chen bao jun
December 29th, 2013, 04:35 PM
People really should not do this but I know from being in the black community what people will do in the quest to change hair type. This seems a little more dangerous (not very) than the relaxers that I myself did for like, 20 + plus years.
Unfortunately what stops people is not hearing about health problems that are not immediate but short term disaster (like losing all their hair). and other people STILL assume it will not happen to them. That's human nature. And of course, others enjoy the profits of our insecurity $$$$$

monsoonstorm
December 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
I have to wonder whether it was a "bad blowout" or just damage catching up with you after a time.

I had one a long, long time ago. It looked fabulous for about 4-5 months. Then it slowly changed into a frizzy monster mess. I only had the one, but it completely destroyed my hair, it just didn't become apparent for quite some time.

ErinLeigh
January 1st, 2014, 11:22 PM
catch 22. they cause the damage eventually for sure but you can get a bad one first time. My friend did.
Also. I had undamaged hair when I did the first. Never heat styled after doing the first either so not much more damage should have been accumulated. It was wearing off nicely also..but when I did the 2nd one months later I got results of 1st pic.
No way my hair was that damaged under the treatment. THat one was product and technique. Stylist admitted when asked later that it was very cheap (so she could pass on savings!) and she did way to many passes of hot iron. I could hear hear snapping and see broken bits just flying down all around me. I was paralyzed and didnt leap up from chair.
Strangely enough I did the 3rd as new stylist told me it would make hair look better...and it did. She cut and layered and redid and then once again it was great looking. Had 2 more after that with no issue. Then the final one of course..cheaper product and a more rushed job,

So just hair was getting dry under the keratin that is for sure...but ..you can get a bad one right from a start also. You just never know what you will get.

palaeoqueen
January 3rd, 2014, 06:11 AM
I have to wonder whether it was a "bad blowout" or just damage catching up with you after a time.

I had one a long, long time ago. It looked fabulous for about 4-5 months. Then it slowly changed into a frizzy monster mess. I only had the one, but it completely destroyed my hair, it just didn't become apparent for quite some time.

This is exactly what happened to me. Years ago I had Japanese straightening done and the result when I first washed my hair was like the OP's picture. My fringe was particularly fried (it was actually crispy and burnt!) I had to have it cut really short and layered plus extra hair brought into it to try to disguise the damage, it looked terrible. To add insult to injury I had my MSc graduation a week later and my hair looked shocking in the photos (I binned them!).

Kherome
January 3rd, 2014, 07:29 AM
Boy you've had a bad time. This, the apricot dye job...Maybe you should just let your hair be what it is, color/texture and all! It sounds way less stressful than all these toxic chemicals and haircuts.

lapushka
January 3rd, 2014, 07:36 AM
Boy you've had a bad time. This, the apricot dye job...Maybe you should just let your hair be what it is, color/texture and all! It sounds way less stressful than all these toxic chemicals and haircuts.

This. ^^ 100%. There are ways of dealing with your natural texture that are not damaging to the hair. But it's a process of acceptance that not everyone can go through. :flower:

ErinLeigh
January 14th, 2014, 09:56 PM
YOu would think I wouldn't want to keep messing with hair, but I always will. I will always color, that's just who I am. My natural color is so wrong for my skin tone and features sadly...but as far as changing texture again? no. That I am planning to do again. WHen I got the firstI din;t even think they did change texture. Didn't know much about them except I was told the BB would actually make hair healthy. THey tell you how it erases porosity issues and reverse damage. They even tell the more damaged you hair is the better they work. I did not research and just said ok when it was offered. IT turned out great which sadly led to doing it again not realizing how bad they are in the long run.

Now, I have learned to just adjust to Florida's humidity and go wavy on the days that there is no use fighting it. The best things that ended up fighting frizz so far have been having my hair properly moisturized at all times and using oils to seal to prevent extra moisture from coming in.

I always thought moisture would frizz me more but it seems if hair has enough of its own it doesn't need to take in so much from the atmosphere. Plus sealing in what I have helps a ton. No clue if science supports that but so far that is what is working.

As far as apricot thank goodness I toned it a bit with a purple shampoo and left it alone. Loving the color now so at least I can get back to worrying about more important things :) well..until root touch up time..eek!