PDA

View Full Version : There's Hair! - long hair contest from 1928!!!

bradlea
December 28th, 2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/theres-hair-1/query/hair

As soon as I saw this, I knew I had to share it with all of you. I wish the quality were better, but I think that British Pathe uploads these in slightly crap quality to encourage people to buy the footage, haha. Lovely! I guess the blonde at the end is the winner? Hers was my favorite, such thud!

ETA: Just noticed that you can choose to look through stills from the video, and then you can see the hair in a truer quality.

PixxieStix
December 28th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Oooooo, super fun, thanks for sharing! I love the various lengths.

Tini'sNewHair
December 28th, 2013, 11:14 PM
WOW!!!!! Breathtaking!!!! :D:agape:

Callifornia
December 28th, 2013, 11:15 PM
So fun to see these fashion rebels of long ago. Thank you for sharing!

MaryO
December 29th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Love it! Hanks for sharing!

Beatnik Guy
December 29th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Wonderful find. :D

Angelica
December 29th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Competitions like this are still run today. I really like this video, such pretty girls and I love their crinkly wavy hair :)

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2013, 06:59 AM
That's neat. I was amazed to see such pretty hair different lengths, conditions, and colors. That's truly neat.

Salzdrache
December 29th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Thatīs great ! Wonderful thick hair and all these braidwaves...cool ! Thanks for sharing !

Madora
December 29th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks for sharing that link, Bradlea. But I wonder if the contestants didn't purposely braid their hair wet to encourage all those braidwaves. There just seemed to be so many ... and so pronounced...than you would see in real life. Be that as it may, it was very interesting to see long hair from that time.

Skade
December 29th, 2013, 08:23 AM
:thud: What a treasure. Thank you for sharing it with us. My phone keeps interrupting the film though, so I need to watch it again later on a real computer.

GoddesJourney
December 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM
I thought it was funny how the girl started playing with the guy's hair just to turn it around. Good sport about having her hair touched and good sense of humor. :)

lapushka
December 29th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Amazing little clip. I'm with Madora, in wondering if their waves aren't from being in the same approximate styles and updos instead of natural waves.

melusine963
December 29th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I love the humour in that video. :D

bradlea
December 29th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for sharing that link, Bradlea. But I wonder if the contestants didn't purposely braid their hair wet to encourage all those braidwaves. There just seemed to be so many ... and so pronounced...than you would see in real life. Be that as it may, it was very interesting to see long hair from that time.

Because of the low quality it's hard to tell, but I was thinking Marcel waves, not braid waves. Their hair does look heat damaged, all that frizz.
Like so:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/248260998180627360/

bradlea
December 29th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I thought it was funny how the girl started playing with the guy's hair just to turn it around. Good sport about having her hair touched and good sense of humor. :)

I believe that guy was a female!

NuclearApple
December 29th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I think the guy was a lady too! :D
anyway how nice!thanks for sharing!

Wildcat Diva
December 29th, 2013, 12:45 PM
That was so cool!

Stray_mind
December 30th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Prettyy...

Agnes Hannah
December 30th, 2013, 10:08 AM
beautiful.....
sigh!

Pamala513
December 30th, 2013, 06:06 PM
That as fun! Thanks for sharing.

chen bao jun
December 30th, 2013, 08:28 PM
I couldn't see the film so I watched the stills. It was fun! Interesting to see women in classic 'flapper' dresses with long hair instead of veeerrrrry short and to realize that no, everyone did not conform.
I bet all those braid waves were from putting hair up and jamming somehow under those cloche hats though.

bradlea
December 30th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I couldn't see the film so I watched the stills. It was fun! Interesting to see women in classic 'flapper' dresses with long hair instead of veeerrrrry short and to realize that no, everyone did not conform.
I bet all those braid waves were from putting hair up and jamming somehow under those cloche hats though.

yes, a great many women chose not to conform! however, they were very cunning in designing hairstyles that mimicked the look of bobbed hair very well, here are some links to a GREAT website with many examples of different bob-like hairstyles:

http://photodetective.co.uk/Bun.html
http://photodetective.co.uk/Earphones.html
http://photodetective.co.uk/Brushover.html

these are excellent to bear in mind for anyone with long hair contemplating an authentic flapper look for whatever reason, and I have used the cottage loaf and earphones styles before.

oh and also! on page 2 of this thread, i linked to a picture which demonstrates the look of marcel waves, and i believe their hair to be marcelled, not braid waves.

sorry, i could talk for hours about historic hairstyles, especially of this period :3

georgia_peach
December 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM
I believe that guy was a female!

I think so, too. Perhaps a female sporting the Eton Bob? Found this picture when I was searching through the last links you provided. Thanks for such a wonderful post!

http://photodetective.co.uk/20s-Eton.html

bradlea
December 31st, 2013, 04:15 PM
I think so, too. Perhaps a female sporting the Eton Bob? Found this picture when I was searching through the last links you provided. Thanks for such a wonderful post!

http://photodetective.co.uk/20s-Eton.html

Yes, good eye! Exactly what I was thinking. Not sure I would be brave enough to ever try an Eton crop, but I did once have a shingle with bangs! I love 1920s hairstyles.

Lady melissa
August 14th, 2014, 06:45 AM
I do love how much fun they seem to have, when they throw their hair up, all at once :)

GetMeToWaist
August 14th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Wow love this! Thanks for sharing

spidermom
August 14th, 2014, 07:01 AM
My husband and I went to a 1920s mystery dinner theater years ago. I fretted about what to do with my hair because I knew that was the age when bob haircuts were all the rage. This video clip was playing in the background as we got settled at our table.

Caraid♫
August 14th, 2014, 08:10 AM
loved the epic hairflip! this was so cool, it makes me so curious as to what all their haircare routines were!!

MeowScat
August 14th, 2014, 09:17 PM
What a great video, fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

CrazyGrace
August 14th, 2014, 10:03 PM
That was really cool. I love the coordinated flip and the way that one gal overbalanced a bit and then laughed it off.

Gertrude
August 15th, 2014, 01:16 PM
That hair is definitely Marcelled all the way down. One of my great-aunts refused to cut her hair and wore her hair Marcelled at the front and pulled the back into a slim psyche knot. Like Olive Oyl, Popeye's girlfriend. Marcel had the GHD of his day and made a fortune with his crimping iron.

The judge is sporting the Eton crop, the most androgynous of the 1920s short crops. It's not remotely feminine, so didn't last. I am sure she was mistaken for a man in a dress rather often and probably sported a longer shingle after the novelty wore off.

cdmo
August 15th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I loved watching the video. They so cute and their hair was amazing. Loving all the waves especially. Thanks for sharing!

queenovnight
August 15th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I thought it was a tad bit creepy, but certainly interesting to watch! Thanks for sharing!

Catatafish
August 18th, 2014, 07:51 AM
That was cool. I was wondering at first why everyone had their hair permed, good to know about the marcel waves. I might try the earphones hairstyle if I want to dress up like a flapper sometime :)