PDA

View Full Version : Increased Shedding after switching to updos

Valkyriejae
December 28th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hi all,
As part of my new and improved haircare routine, I've been trying to wear my hair up as much as possible(ie: if i'm doing anything other than sitting on the couch.) I used to wear my hair down all the time unless I was cooking, and even then I just put it in a loose ponytail.
But I've noticed I'm shedding more than normal, and having ruled out a lot of the other things (seasonal, vitamin deficiencies, stretching washes,) I'm wondering if the updos could be a potential cause? They're generally not tight and I try to vary the location to avoid traction alopecia, but could my folicles maybe just be freaking about being pulled differently? And if so, would it last 2+months?

ravenheather
December 28th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Could it be that you are just noticing the sheds because they stay in your updo all day and then come out all at once when you take your hair down? My hair does this. And if I leave a braid in all day and all night I shed even more.

Valkyriejae
December 28th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I don't think so - it's not just that more hair is coming out, my ponytail is shrinking too.

Could it be that you are just noticing the sheds because they stay in your updo all day and then come out all at once when you take your hair down? My hair does this. And if I leave a braid in all day and all night I shed even more.

ravenheather
December 28th, 2013, 09:52 PM
If you don't have health/hormone issues causing shedding, then maybe its seasonal? I had a shed last summer for about 2-3 months. I started using neelibringhadi oil overnight every 2 days. My shedding has gone way down. Maybe that would help.

Kaelee
December 28th, 2013, 10:21 PM
If your hair is actually thinning, I would check that your updos aren't pulling on one spot all the time, or aren't done to tight- traction alopecia comes immediately to mind if the shedding is definitely correlated to updos. I would check with a doctor though just to be sure it's not something else.

durgidog
December 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I agree with checking with a Dr. if the hair loss seems drastic. Additionally, you could stop wearing it up for a couple of weeks and see if you shed less.

Flor
December 29th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Well, stop wearing updos and see what happens. I still say, it's just accumulated throughout the day shed hair. Unless you're very precise with ponytail measuring and are noticing significant difference.

lapushka
December 29th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I still think it might be what ravenheather said. Ponytail measurements vary throughout the year, it goes up and down, due to seasonal sheds and the like. Only if you notice *way* more shedding and actual drastic thinning would I start to worry. It might also be worth it to check with your doctor (and have a blood check), though, if you're that worried.

Madora
December 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Be sure to comb/detangle your hair every day prior to doing your updo..and after taking it down. The shedding might just be hairs trapped among still attached hair.

YamaMaya
December 29th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I find that if I stretch washes longer than usual I end up leaving what looks like a tribble in the drain. I regularly have my hair in a braid or bun and it all tends to accumulate, especially if I haven't washed it for awhile.

GoddesJourney
December 29th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Updos make my hair shed because I sit there and play with it and brush it out and pull it in different directions while I'm trying to get it up. I always notice hair all over the floor afterward. Also changes in the weather, like dryer air or colder temperature, tend to make my hair lie much straighter and flatter. Sometimes changing products will also do this. It makes my hair appear to be much thinner since I like the usual out of control volume. For example, I'm visiting home right now in Central Coast California. I've been living in Florida. My hair looks like 1b/ii right now instead of my usual.

swearnsue
December 29th, 2013, 09:42 AM
If I make a pony tail to measure circumference after my hair has been down, then putting it into a pony has the hair going in a different direction and makes the hair "fuller" feeling and I get a thicker measurement. If my hair was in a bun that had the hair going in the pony tail direction already, then putting it into the pony won't measure as thick.

I hope that made sense.

I went through a huge shed and it turned out to be caused by eating too many Brazil nuts and selenium supplements!

Valkyriejae
December 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
My ponytail measurements are pretty good - I compact the hair as tightly as possible every time. It's gone from a 3 1/8" to just under 3. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I had fairly major hair loss when I was 17 (due to some meds I was on) and now I watch my shedding like a hawk.
I think I'll give it another month before I see my doc about this - she's kind of an idiot and likely won't do anything unless the hair loss becomes visible (ie: I develop bald spots.)
Thanks for the various advisements - I'll try going back to wearing my hair down most of the time and see if that helps with the shedding.