PDA

View Full Version : How can I minimise damage from hair ties?

sarahthegemini
December 28th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Hi all, I've started wearing my hair in a side braid on day 3 (as by then, my length is a bit piece-y looking and I wash on day 4) I'm wondering how I can minimise any damage from hair ties? I'm using thin no-metal hair ties, and I'll be using them every few days. I usually oil in the evening of day 3 in preparation for washing the following morning, but I've just started oiling in the a.m on day 3 before braiding, I'm hoping this offers a bit of protection. Any input?

TIA!

Amapola
December 28th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Maybe wrap a scrap of silk around the hair first.

sarahthegemini
December 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Maybe wrap a scrap of silk around the hair first.

Thing is, my hair is naturally very thin. I don't want to 'bulk it out' as such. Hmmm.

meteor
December 28th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Use a silk ribbon to tie the braid off or first weave the ribbon into your braid and then tie it off - the latter this keeps it more secure.

Firefox7275
December 28th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Agree with fine silk/ satin fabric or ribbon which should not be particularly bulky. You could even braid the ribbon in for interest.

Another option would be to make the braid tassel different lengths each time, and snip the ties rather than rolling them down the tassel.

Leslieslsa
December 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I use those kids soft scrunchies on my hair. I don't know how to explain which ones they are but they are cheap and really soft. They're a little thicker than the ones you are using. And I tie it loosely. I wear braids all the time and haven't had any breakage issues at all.

Okay, I found a link to them on amazon so I can explain better: http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Ouchless-Terry-Ponytailer-Count/dp/B00B5LPZG2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_bt_2

Vanilla
December 28th, 2013, 02:48 PM
You can use a paranda in your braid and tie off the paranda instead of your hair.

AmyBeth
December 28th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I use those kids soft scrunchies on my hair. I don't know how to explain which ones they are but they are cheap and really soft. They're a little thicker than the ones you are using. And I tie it loosely. I wear braids all the time and haven't had any breakage issues at all.

Okay, I found a link to them on amazon so I can explain better: http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Ouchless-Terry-Ponytailer-Count/dp/B00B5LPZG2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_bt_2

Those are what I use. They are damage proof. You can stick to the neutral colors for wearing a braid and use the brighter colors to hide in an updo, if you find them just too unsophisticated. Parandas are awesome, as well!

shutterpillar
December 28th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I use fold over elastic hair ties (http://www.loveumadly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/hair-ties-8-1024x680.jpg). They are sold all over the place, but you can make your own for much less money.

However, I don't use the glittery ones which are so popular now. It just seems like those would be too... snaggy.

askan
December 28th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I use a satin scrunchie - basically I sew a satin cover for a normal hair elastic. It's pretty slippery and easy to slip off without ripping any hairs.

ravenreed
December 28th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I second the fold-over elastic ties. The down side is that they stretch out pretty easily, but they are the only ties that haven't damaged my hair at all even with every day use.

Anje
December 28th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Different hair ties work best for different people. Some people swear by those little silicone ones, but they do a number on my hair. So I'm going to suggest the colorful little terrycloth ties that are typically sold for small children. They're usually small enough that they don't dwarf skinny braid ends, and quite gentle.

ravenheather
December 28th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I use the terrycloth kind and the silicone clear ones. No damage on my fine hair with either one.

Naiadryade
December 29th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I'd recommend those terrycloth ones like Leslieslsa linked to. I use big soft scrunchies too, but they look big on my hair and might really dwarf i hair.

Also: Tie them loosely. When taking them off, undo them the way you put them on instead of just sliding them off.

Mizumi
December 29th, 2013, 04:45 AM
You can make your own hair ties. Just cut pantyhose and roll it. It looks nice and it's delicate for hair :)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hesQoPmqeLo/USU2n_wqsEI/AAAAAAAAK2Q/b4mjEgEisRQ/s1600/gumki.jpg

Andeee
December 29th, 2013, 05:08 AM
You can make your own hair ties. Just cut pantyhose and roll it. It looks nice and it's delicate for hair :)

I do this, too! I use a dark brown pair of pantyhose which is close to my own hair color so it's hidden pretty much (for dressier braids, etc when I want a clean look). I also use those terrycloth ones.

Latte Lady
December 29th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I use the fold over hair ties, which are super gentle, but the biggest tip is to simply tie off your hair in different places each time. I feel like you'd get damage from even the gentlest hair ties if you used them in the same place day in and day out.

sarahthegemini
December 29th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Some great ideas, thanks! I especially like the pantyhose suggestion, and I'll make sure to unravel the hair tie when removing it as opposed to pulling it down, and I'll tie the band in a different position each time.

Lyv
December 29th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I've always just used the ouchless and the little clear plastic ones. I don't think hair ties damage hair if you're gentle when you take them out and tie it in a different spot each time.

jacqueline101
December 29th, 2013, 06:48 AM
I found a satin scrunchi works the best. I'm guessing satin being the key word. Try satin products.

QMacrocarpa
December 29th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Good ideas in here. My two cents is that some of us have hair that will just stay in a braid without anything securing the end. I didn't realize this for years, but now I never put elastics on the end of my hair. Of course, others of us have hair that would chuckle and immediately slither right out of an unsecured braid. :)