PDA

View Full Version : Folic acid 100 days challenge

RegretsHerCut
December 28th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Okay so I'm planning on taking 5mg of Folic Acid a day for 100 days and see how it affects my hair.. Some people said it made their hair grow like crazy !!
-1 pill every night for 100 days (Nighttime is when your body absorbs most vitamins and nutrients)
Here is my hair now (the longest layer is barely touching my shoulders and excuse the quality I was too lazy to get up and take a better picture)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1505257_10201200037419921_860092585_n.jpg
I will be taking another picture on the 50th and 100th day to compare the results :)
Wish me luck and join me if you feel like it !

HintOfMint
December 28th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Good luck! I think there are other health benefits to folic acid so in any case, it's probably beneficial even if it doesn't affect your growth.

My cousin has had some success in growing her hair longer and thicker after taking folic acid regularly. She had a brief spell of random alopecia a few years ago and she's quite scared of it coming back. She's also always had somewhat thin hair and is very careful about her hair as a result.

RegretsHerCut
December 28th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Good luck! I think there are other health benefits to folic acid so in any case, it's probably beneficial even if it doesn't affect your growth.

My cousin has had some success in growing her hair longer and thicker after taking folic acid regularly. She had a brief spell of random alopecia a few years ago and she's quite scared of it coming back. She's also always had somewhat thin hair and is very careful about her hair as a result.

Thank you :) I hope it does help growing my hair ! Apparently it works for some people and not for others... And folic acid is very good for mood swings so my mom will be happy about THAT lol !

jacqueline101
December 28th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I've been taking it for two years and I love it. Can I join the group?

RegretsHerCut
December 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I've been taking it for two years and I love it. Can I join the group?

Of course ! Although you're already in since you've been doing this for 2 years already :)

jacqueline101
December 28th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Of course ! Although you're already in since you've been doing this for 2 years already :)

Goody I'm happy. I've noticed my hair does seem to grow more with its help then the monistat alone.

MaryO
December 29th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I've been taking folic acid to support pregnancy for about 4-5 months now. Can't say I've noticed a big difference in growth although I didn't measure. Hope you get good results though, will check back in to see. ;-)

RegretsHerCut
December 29th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Goody I'm happy. I've noticed my hair does seem to grow more with its help then the monistat alone.

Monistat ? I didn't know about that one ! Did you notice any difference ?

RegretsHerCut
December 29th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I've been taking folic acid to support pregnancy for about 4-5 months now. Can't say I've noticed a big difference in growth although I didn't measure. Hope you get good results though, will check back in to see. ;-)

That will be around Valentine's Day ;) Congrats on the baby !!!!

Maygem82
January 3rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
I was inspired by this thread & decided to test it out too! I started January 1st to make it easy to remember & had dh take a picture for me. Does anyone take biotin as well? Or is it redundant to do both?

Sweet_Decadence
January 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM
This seems interesting. I'm game. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

I'm so utterly fed up with my hair, I might shave it off right, if this gives it a boost I'll be delighted. I'm curious to watch this thread.

Bazinga
January 4th, 2014, 02:51 AM
I was inspired by this thread & decided to test it out too! I started January 1st to make it easy to remember & had dh take a picture for me. Does anyone take biotin as well? Or is it redundant to do both?

I just started taking biotin yesterday. I'll keep an eye on this thread. If I hadn't just started with biotin I might have gone for folic acid but I don't want to take too many things at once.

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Monistat ? I didn't know about that one ! Did you notice any difference ?

Yes I have. My hair didn't grow at all with out it. There is a monistat thread monistat dare we start this again is the title I think. It's close to that. Sorry took so long to get back the holidays and volunteering have my time well spent.

hairpleasegrow
January 4th, 2014, 07:21 AM
thanks for the tip i like folic acid and i know it doesnt make me feel nautious like other vitamins. cant hurt either to take in case i get preggs again :) !!

Morghana
January 4th, 2014, 07:43 AM
I'm new to the LHC so no photos yet, but I wanted to chime in about using biotin. I used 5,000 mcg for about two years and recently stopped. I have baby fine hair that is slightly wavy and thin so I am game to try anything, but the biotin made my face and scalp way too greasy! I had to wash my hair every day, which defeated the purpose of using it in the first place (healthier hair). I did not notice a difference with hair growth, but biotin did wonders for my nails. Oh well, I'd rather have clean, healthy hair. I have never heard of using folic acid. I'll be curious to know your results. I've heard about monistat but have not tried it yet. Good luck!

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I'm new to the LHC so no photos yet, but I wanted to chime in about using biotin. I used 5,000 mcg for about two years and recently stopped. I have baby fine hair that is slightly wavy and thin so I am game to try anything, but the biotin made my face and scalp way too greasy! I had to wash my hair every day, which defeated the purpose of using it in the first place (healthier hair). I did not notice a difference with hair growth, but biotin did wonders for my nails. Oh well, I'd rather have clean, healthy hair. I have never heard of using folic acid. I'll be curious to know your results. I've heard about monistat but have not tried it yet. Good luck!

I've had good results with monistat. I grow about an inch maybe half inch a month. My hair never grew at all before. I'm using mine diluted with water. I use an old hair dye bottle for an applicator bottle. I've used monistat straight from the tube in the past with out an problems I gave that up because it was expensive.

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM

I've had good results with monistat. I grow about an inch maybe half inch a month. My hair never grew at all before. I'm using mine diluted with water. I use an old hair dye bottle for an applicator bottle. I've used monistat straight from the tube in the past with out an problems I gave that up because it was expensive.

patienceneeded
January 4th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I take biotin because it really helps my nails to be strong, but I've never noticed it in regards to hair growth. Last time I took a separate Folic Acid supplement was when i was pregnant with DD. I don't know if it had any effect on my hair or not...wasn't paying attention to hair back then. My hair was VERY thick (still is) and grew like crazy during that time, but I attributed it to the pregnancy. Maybe it was the Folic Acid? Or probably a combo of both.

Either way, I picked up some Folic Acid at Target today and will be adding 1 pill a day to see what happens. I'm doing the monthly length check photo challenge, so I will check progress that way. Here's hoping to speed up hairgrowth! Or, at least make my nails grow faster, and split/peel less.

queenieheather
January 4th, 2014, 11:08 PM
A better alternative to folic acid is to take folate. Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate and is pretty much in every supplement (it is cheap!) Your body must convert the folic acid to the active form of folate in order to use it anyways. This is a slow process, if you are even capable of this conversion. Many people cannot do this conversion and so the unmetabolized folic acid(UMFA) not only builds up in your body but you may have a folate deficiency at the same time. There is evidence that the UMFA on its own is carcinogenic. The cause of not being able to convert the folic acid to folate is due to the MTHFR gene defect (that produces the MTHFR enzyme required for the conversion; no enzyme, no conversion). There are many serious risks of not taking the proper form of folate with this very common gene mutation such as cardiac problems, pulmonary embolisms, other clotting disorders, and probably the most sad, recurrent miscarriages. Please check out MTHFR.net for an in depth explanation and how to test. And supplement with Folate! You know it is the correct form because the label will say "methylfolate" or "Metafolin" somewhere on the label instead of "folic acid".

LightSabr
January 4th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I'm in! I've been taking it for about a month already and it (along with other healthy practices) has seemed to give me a little boost in the growth department. I'll also look into that folate. Vitamin side effects can be dreadful.

Pamala513
January 5th, 2014, 10:03 AM
If you take super b complex, you will find that most have folic acid in it as well, so no need for an extra dose. I take biotin and super b complex together, so I am already getting folio acid.

RegretsHerCut
January 8th, 2014, 02:47 AM

They're both B vitamins (I know folic acid is B9, biotin I'm not sure)

RegretsHerCut
January 8th, 2014, 02:56 AM
I'm sorry it took me so long to check back but I'm in the middle of Finals (ughhh)
so it's been 11 days since I've been taking FA and I know I said that I'll be putting up a picture on the 50th day but I did notice my hair getting thicker and a tad bit longer and I wanted to share that with you guys in case you wanted to take folic acid.
So what do you think ? Is it any longer ?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/q71/1557725_10201261519036923_622479141_n.jpg

Ps: I'm not taking any other kind of vitamins or any medication for that matter !
Oh and I promise the "halfway picture" will be better quality lol

RegretsHerCut
February 13th, 2014, 03:36 PM
As promised I'm here with an update.. I am now halfway through with this challenge and I leave it to you to tell me if you see any differences :)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/1899903_10201459603228904_1298824689_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1620771_10201459603388908_960362645_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1891296_10201459603028899_169589025_n.jpg
you can better see my short layers in the last picture. Don't mind the frizz it's freshly washed hair, still pretty damp.

kganihanova
February 13th, 2014, 05:56 PM
I've been taking folic acid since July and my hair is fantastic. I don't know what its doing but it feels thicker :)

LaReineJaguar
February 13th, 2014, 06:31 PM
hmm I'm going to have to try folate!

jacqueline101
February 13th, 2014, 06:41 PM
I've notice with me my hair is growing fairly steady. I'm almost ready for a fringe trim. I had Bette Paige bangs the last time.

jacqueline101
February 13th, 2014, 06:44 PM
As promised I'm here with an update.. I am now halfway through with this challenge and I leave it to you to tell me if you see any differences :)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1/1899903_10201459603228904_1298824689_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1620771_10201459603388908_960362645_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1891296_10201459603028899_169589025_n.jpg
you can better see my short layers in the last picture. Don't mind the frizz it's freshly washed hair, still pretty damp.

Your short layers have seem to grow to where they're more blended with the length. Your hair is so shiny and pretty by the way.

mariakatija
February 13th, 2014, 07:48 PM
My skin, hair, and nails vitamin has folic acid in it so I'm joining!

LauraLongLocks
February 13th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I've been taking prenatal vitamins for the last 19 years, because I've been pregnant or lactating, or both for nearly two decades. Prenatals have 800 mcg folic acid in them, so I wouldn't be able to tell if it changes my growth. It's just what I do for my health, in general.

ositarosita
February 15th, 2014, 10:07 PM
I ran out of my biotin yesterday so I started my folic acid today ... I want to see I have a difference in growth between the two

QMacrocarpa
February 16th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Sorry to be chiming in with a cautionary note a bit late, but I've read that high doses of folic acid might increase certain cancer risks. For instance the article here (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/folic-acid/) says:

"A few studies have suggested that excess folic acid may—and we stress the "may" here—be associated with increased risk for colorectal, breast, and prostate cancers."

The article also says:

"The Institute of Medicine, which is charged with setting healthy and safe intakes of vitamins and other nutrients, recommends that most adults get 400 micrograms of folate/folic acid a day, and 600 micrograms a day for pregnant women. The Institute recommends against getting more than 1,000 micrograms per day of folic acid from supplements or fortified food; folate intake from food is not a concern."

1,000 micrograms is 1 milligram, so a 5mg per day dose is 5 times the Institute of Medicine's recommended upper limit.

RegretsHerCut
February 23rd, 2014, 04:24 AM
Your short layers have seem to grow to where they're more blended with the length. Your hair is so shiny and pretty by the way.

Thank you ! It's henna that's making it so shiny ;)

jacqueline101
February 23rd, 2014, 10:34 AM
Thank you ! It's henna that's making it so shiny ;)

You're very welcomed.