PDA

View Full Version : getting the fringe to grow...

brightonwoman
September 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
So, I don't have bangs...nothing intentionally cut anyway...but I do have a lot of fringe (at least that's what I've been calling it--is there a more correct technical term?!) I have these little short curly hairs all the way around my hairline, and it seems that no matter what i do they just don't grow. There are a couple down behind my ears that are about 6" and make pretty little ringlets when I have updos, but the 2" ones all around my face make me crazy...
Is there a way to get them to grow? Do you have tips for making them stay in with the rest of the hair (short of hairspray--which I avoid, or barrettes/bobby pins--which I already know about and really dislike?!)

pdy2kn6
September 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hey, I have them aswell. The rest of my hair is straight however I get fine long-ish shorter hairs and ringlets in the very corner of my forehead. I think these are just what are known as 'baby-hairs' which are just finehairs which everyone has around their head. Some people have very short baby hair which they have had from when they were a baby. However I have had short hair all my life until 3 years ago, yet I still have these 'fine hairs' so perhaps they can grow, they may just grow slower. Hope that helps

Aronomy
September 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I have those dang hairs too. They are wavy and wonky and short, and I can never pull them back nicely. What I do for updos is get them a tad wet so you can smooth it the way you like, then use aloe gel to set that look.

chelles2kids
September 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM
What your describing is basically just new hairs and because they are shorter, we notice them more.:p

I've found the best thing for these, is to just add the tiniest bit of oil and oil them down a bit, but then again, sometimes even that doesn't work.:rolleyes:

Michelle

Periwinkle
September 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't call that a fringe, but I'm a Brit and a fringe here is bangs to you :P

I find that French plaits disguise these well, as there's lots of different layers that draw the eye instead. Also, misting helps a lot.

anna1850
September 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I don't think that's a fringe or new growth. What that sounds like is in-between hairs which are goverened by both the long hair hormones on the head and the tiny hair hormones on the face so end up just being a few inches long.

There's nothing you can do about them except hide them or I suppose you could pluck them out somehow but it might look a bit odd when they grow back.

pdy2kn6
September 14th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I would personally say DO NOT PLUCK THEM, they are just hairs at different stages of the growth process. Nor do I think they are fringes/bangs. I have them at the front/side/back (bottom bit) of my hair, they will sort themselves out. If you pluck the shorter hairs unneccesarily, this may be very damaging to your hair/scalp. I also sometimes put water on them just to flatten them down, this works well.

Golden21
September 14th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I have these also and they are so annoying. Is there anyone who has successfully grown these out past apl?

AnneAdeline
September 14th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I have these also. By one ear (Just one! They don't have the decency to be symmetrical.:rolleyes:) I have a clump of them that are about two inches long. I'm constantly pushing them back behind my ear. They didn't used to be this long, so I'm hoping they will grow out further.

Periwinkle
September 14th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I have these also. By one ear (Just one! They don't have the decency to be symmetrical.:rolleyes:) I have a clump of them that are about two inches long. I'm constantly pushing them back behind my ear. They didn't used to be this long, so I'm hoping they will grow out further.

Idea from the front line of bits of hair growing near the ears: kirby grips work really well for keeping them back! It looks so much tidier than having minature earmuffs :silly:

Anje
September 14th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I've got them too. In addition to the general short around-the-face stuff, I have two little wavy/curly tufts at my temples that like to pop out of updos. I just call them my horns.

Tap Dancer
September 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I have a ton of those baby hairs too. They don't seem to grow but they don't really bother me. I don't think there's much you can do about it.

brightonwoman
September 17th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I don't think that's a fringe or new growth. What that sounds like is in-between hairs which are goverened by both the long hair hormones on the head and the tiny hair hormones on the face so end up just being a few inches long.

I have them on my face (temples) and also along my hairline behind my ears and on my neck...but the idea of them being in the middle and getting 'mixed signals' makes a lot of sense.

jojo
September 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I call these baby hairs and everybody gets them so don't stress over them:)

and a fringe and bangs are the exact same thing, just depends which side of the pond your on:)