PDA

View Full Version : Good Pins That Aren't Bobby Pins

animetor7
December 28th, 2013, 02:35 AM
So here's my problem: For all of my life whenever I wanted to do a fancy updo where "toys" were all hidden and it was just my hair up I have used bobby pins and that has worked wonderfully. Except now my hair has gotten long enough (nearly hip length if not already there) that it is too heavy for bobby pins to hold it up any longer. So I was wondering what some good pins/clips/etc. are that can be hidden as well as bobby pins but might hold up hair better. Thank you all in advance!

TheWhiteRabbit
December 28th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I currently use straight pins that I found at Sally's. They hide very nicely in my hair but my hair is not very troublesome and can still be held up with bobby pins.

Firefox7275
December 28th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Spin Pins or U pins.

Hairitic
December 28th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I've used old fashion Hair Pins that worked very well. Amish Pins are also fantastic.

Llama
December 28th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Spin pins are the best! I wear them almost every day.

Lyv
December 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I'd try spin pins or magic grip hair pins they held my hair pretty well and it was heavy thick and had lots of layers.

GoddesJourney
December 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Spin pins and U pins were the only things that ever worked on my hair when it was long.

Anje
December 28th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Yep, U hairpins (treat them like tiny hairforks) are great; I particularly like the Amish pins because they're stiffer than some of the others available and don't get bent out of shape.

Good Hair Days/Magic Grip hair pins show up from time to time as another option that some really like.

Madora
December 28th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I've been using 3 inch crimped hairpins for years. Easy in/easy out. Holds like a rock. Here's something similar at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Diane-Hair-Pins-Black-card/dp/B0012NIXU8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1388248943&sr=8-7&keywords=hair+pins

I purchased mine at Sally's Beauty Supply. They are long lasting and also come in shorter sizes. Mine have crimps (waves) in the center for a better hold.

I've tried the plastic Good Days hairpins too, but prefer the crimped hairpins as they were easier to take out.

LadyLongLocks
December 28th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I found soft n style hair pins to be the best I have found. I got some last year after sally's brand were snagging my hair. The ends with the rubber/silicone were bad and some of the metal was sticking out. I discovered many hairpins are not hair friendly. The soft n style ones are made much better. The ends have a smooth round rubber/silicone tip. The pins are strong. I got the 3" ones in bronze.
I have only found them sold in 1LB boxes on amazon. You will never have to buy another hairpin for the rest of your life!

HintOfMint
December 28th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Another recommendation for Spin Pins!

heidi w.
December 28th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I recommend long bobby pins, or hair roller pins. Those work very well for holding up heavier hair, and they can be hidden. Lots like Amish hair pins too. Those are good too.
heidi w.

Eichan
December 28th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Spin pins for the win!

And I don't know of this counts, buuuut, there're always hairsticks/forks :o

animetor7
December 29th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Thank you all so much for all of the replies! I'll have to pick up some Amish pins and spin pins and give them a try as those seem to be the most mentioned suggestions. If those work great! If not I'll give some other suggestions a try, but at least now I have a place to start from. I love my hairsticks and forks for lots of things, but hidden they cannot be, so I'm happy that there are still options for "hidden pin" buns as hair gets longer. :)