PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have this issue?

Tangles
September 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
When I air dry and leave my hair down, I end up with rather stringy, slightly frizzy hair.

When I put even just half of my hair up while drying, the result is much smoother. I just can't leave my hair out while it's wet. So my only choices are: damp clipping, damp braiding and damp bunning. Lately damp bunning has been making my hair act weird so I am left with the first two choices only :)

Its a bit annoying that I can't wash and go like a 1b or 3b could. It just bothers me that my hair doesn't like being left in its completely natural state, that it demands reshaping in one way or another. Or maybe I'm just lazy?

One thing that seems to help a bit is to towel dry by gently pressing my hair. This straightens it a bit. Or standing in front of a fan. Or blow-drying on cool, though I try to save that for desperate times.

Arctic_Mama
September 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Interesting! I can's say that's ever happened to me but I DO know my hairs behaves better (and is a bit less crispy) if it dries slowly, like laying on it overnight or in an updo, than if I take a shower and run around with it down. I have NO clue why that is, except that it is easier to work oil/sebum through damp hair than dry so perhaps the dampness aids in distributing my scalp's oils more effectively?

'Tis a mystery!

AJoifulNoise
September 8th, 2008, 05:39 PM
My hair looks it's best when it's given something to do while drying: braids or buns. So, yes, I know what you mean.

Oskimosa
September 8th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I get that if I use certain products (that I haven't gone near in years) like thermasilk, or most leave-in conditioners, heavy conditioners, and almost all styling products I've ever tried.

Tangles
September 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I get that if I use certain products (that I haven't gone near in years) like thermasilk, or most leave-in conditioners, heavy conditioners, and almost all styling products I've ever tried.

Wait-does this happen when you oil?
I started using jojoba oil, and though it's REALLY moisturizing, it gives me stringy hair sometimes.

JessTheMess
September 8th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I know exactly how you feel. The first day after washing my hair looks absolutely terrible. Stringy, frizzy, limp, all around blah no matter if I oil it or not. The next day however, it's shiny and not frizzy at all, and has a nice body to it. :shrugs: My hair has a mind of it's own I guess

Hue
September 8th, 2008, 06:24 PM
As a 1b, I think I have similar experiences. My cuticle seems to lie more flat with damp bun or damp braid. The hair is shinier, glossier, swings more freely, not kind of whispy/frizzy/rougher.

Tangles
September 8th, 2008, 06:26 PM
As a 1b, I think I have similar experiences. My cuticle seems to lie more flat with damp bun or damp braid. The hair is shinier, glossier, swings more freely, not kind of whispy/frizzy/rougher.

YES! Exactly! Whispy, frizzy, fine and rough all at the same time :)

Hue
September 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
YES! Exactly! Whispy, frizzy, fine and rough all at the same time :)

Ah, the joys of fine hair. It giveth and it taketh away. ;)

PseudoScot
September 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
My hair does that. It's tons better if I damp bun and let it dry that way [though it takes the length a LOT longer].

If I give it a comb every so often, but not too often, that helps. I so rarely dry it down any more I'm not sure if it still does that but I bet it will!

Silver & Gold
September 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ah, the joys of fine hair. It giveth and it taketh away. ;)

Well put. My hair is the same. A thick head of fine hair that goes all fuzzy, dry and generally yucky when first washed.

I like to use just a very light amount Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277&highlight=defrizz+spray) after my hair is mostly dry. It does just as it says. It helps get rid of those dry, fly away fuzzies.

ChloeDharma
September 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Ah i really do know what you mean and must have ranted so many times before about this. My problem is that no matter what i do i'm wrong, if i leave it down it's frizzy and odd, if i put it up, then the bun waves look nice initially, but once i move my head a couple of times they poof out and just look awful....and braid waves just look vile in my hair. Aloe gel mixed with a drop of oil used as a leave in has helped alot at times, but mainly i just accept that wash day isn't my best hair day. If you had time you could try setting your hair on large rollers maybe to dry? Or rags?

Tangles
September 8th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I find it interesting that my problem isn't just a wavy problem!

Darkhorse1
September 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM
For me, for whatever reason, if I leave my hair loose to air dry without combing it out, it will dry in ringlets in the front, waves at the side, and I get a poker straight section right at the back. ???? If I comb it with a wide tooth comb, it will dry in waves. I tend to wash at night, and never knew that sleeping with it wet will make it wavy, which explains why my hair gets so poofy. If I clip it up, I get the waves tamped down, but I have natural waves anyhow. :)

chrissy-b
September 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM
My hair does this too if I don't bun it or at least somewhat style it when it's still wet. When I finger comb and let it air dry it looks awful: flyaways, stringy and poofy and just weird. But once it's dry I can brush it out and it looks much better.

DreamingLong
September 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
My hair acts the same way, that is why I miss blow frying so much because my hair did not do this.

1nuitblanche
September 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Me too--it has to be up when it's drying, otherwise... It is really silly looking, and nothing (not products, not even heat) will tame the frizzies.

plainjanegirl
September 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
SO what is the best bun to put wet hair in if you don't want to add waves that you do not have?

Islandgrrl
September 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Same issue here. My hair tends to frizz itself silly if left alone to dry down. It's gotta go up or it's a mess.

redtea
September 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I'm a 2c/3a, so when my hair air dries, my curls aren't totally uniform, the bottom of my hair near my neck is more wavy than curly and I think it looks bad. So I either let my hair totally air dry then comb out the curls to give it a more uniform wavy poofy (and slightly more frizzy) look or while it's still damp I'll let it dry in a bun or braid and it smooths it out and makes it nice and wavy. No matter what I do, by the second day my hair is just wavy anyway. Most people don't even know that my hair is actually curly. Using a blowdryer makes my hair even more frizzy unless I put on a lot of serums and spend a half hour straightening it, so I don't even bother.

sahiba
September 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
How come nobody mentioned oiling damp hair just with a couple of drops .Its so helpful .

Honey39
September 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I've found that if I damp bun my hair for a couple of hours, the top dries smooth and fairly frizz free (I sometimes use AVG), and then I let it down and let the ends dry into ringlets/waves/curls. It's become my wash and wear style - I think that it lets the top dry first, and slows the ends down a bit. Those extra couple of hours before air drying it seem to make a lot of difference to the overall look, because I can get the dry frizzy end look as well!

Also, my colleagues have become addicted to the 10.30 moment when I take the hair clip out and let my hair swish down. It's really fun! But yeah, something to do with slowing up the drying time of the ends seems to do the trick.

skyhawk77
September 10th, 2008, 12:28 PM
i dont know what to say pertaining your problem but your hair is beautiful it should be giving you trouble. hope it works out just fine

liseling
September 10th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Its a bit annoying that I can't wash and go like a 1b or 3b could.

Heehee! I'm a 3b and I just WISH I was wash and go! I have the same problem as you though - if I dont make my hair dry slowly and without too much moving around then it gets quite frizzy and I have to "fix" it before the curls look shiny and not halo'd by frizz.

ReadingRenee
September 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
my hair does exactly what you described Tangles It took a few times of learning the hard way to put it up while its drying, otherwise it looks like an awful frizzy stringy mess! It dries beautifully in a bun though.

Lady Jane
September 10th, 2008, 01:09 PM
It's actually nice to know other people have this problem. Why does misery love company? Anyway I have been struggling with my hair since a blow dryer in now a big no-no, and I'm eager to try some of your tips.

freznow
September 10th, 2008, 01:19 PM
My hair does that too! I actually thought I was imagining things last time I let my hair air dry (Typically I don't, I take a shower late and go to bed. Wake up with dry hair! And braid waves) But yeah, I don't know... no bun that I know of won't leave waves. A rope braid leaves the least after effect, IME, so I may try that next time. Loose braids don't give me braidwaves on dry hair, but they still do on wet hair.

Hypnotica
September 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I always wash my hair in the evening. So when it comes to bedtime, my hair is usually quite damp. After a bit of oil, I secure the length with some kind of broad elastics loosely (I use 3). In the morning, my hair is still on the damp side with some odd kinks here and there, but after combing/brushing they are pretty much gone.

lora410
September 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM
If i put mine up wet and leave it down when dry the ends get ratty. I used to get beautiful results in the past and then all the sudden my hair hated it. Try some aloe vera for drying while down. My hair gets the fuzzes to :)

Elenna
September 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Tell-me-no-lies department store mirrors show hippie-like hair, not luxurious, long locks. I think that you are all correct about slow drying hair in a bun or twist to minimize frizz and unruly hair.

florenonite
September 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I get this, but if I'm in a condition to leave my hair down till it's fully dry (read: sitting around reading/online, etc.) I tend to run my fingers through it a lot anyway, and the process of repeated finger-combing while drying prevents it. If I'm going to be doing much, I damp-bun or braid it, and then it's fine, too.

intothemist1999
September 10th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Tell-me-no-lies department store mirrors show hippie-like hair, not luxurious, long locks. I think that you are all correct about slow drying hair in a bun or twist to minimize frizz and unruly hair.

LOL well put, Elenna!! :rollin: That is SOOO my hair!

Lisa-Maria
September 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Mine also seem to dislike drying hanging loose, and sure it gets frizzy and tangly as well. I get the best results from drying it in a braid/s but it takes forever.

oodlesofnoodles
September 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I dry my hair in a very high ponytail. Since it's partially loose, it dries faster, but since its up, it tends to dry in a better shape.

Tangles
September 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Yea I sometimes dry in a ponytail, but I'm worried about mechanical damage from high ponytailing.