PDA

View Full Version : Spin Pins and Thick Hair - tips?

Granger Mane
December 27th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Happy Holidays guys! Hope everyone is having a good one :D So my hair's grown pretty quickly since I joined LHC two months ago (at least I think so lol) and is finally entering the AP stage. I have to thank everyone for the help and tips, since I think its in better-than-ever condition. Now here's another question just in time for New Year's :) One of the best tips Ive gotten that I think's helped so much is wearing my hair up more frequently. Im not very skilled beyond a basic bun or braid but Im practising. But I love spin pins -doesnt pull out hair like an elastic, only need a handful and don't pinch the way bobby pins do, and easy to throw my hair up in a messy but protective updo. Usually.... Well that's the issue. I have wavy hair with fine strands, but the sheer amount and volume is very thick, and lately have been having so much trouble keeping the pins securely in as my hair has gone from shoulder to AP. It used to be so easy, but now I usually have to throw my hair in a claw clip because the spin pins won't stay. No matter how I twist my hair or screw in the pins, no matter how many times I look over the box instructions and watch Youtube tutuorials and keep trying, the bun usually unravels into an unprotoective pony. Even when I ask other people who use them on their own hair to do it the bun will not stay in for more than an hour or two. Any advice? i've even tried using three instead of two pins, but they don't stay in any better and Im worried about three interlocking anyway. I think its a mix of my bad hair skills, my thick hair, and the fact that Im growing out awful ugly layers. Any tips of keep spin pin buns in before I resort to buying more claw clips?Thanks again guys, sorry for the block of text. The enter key is not working right now for some odd reason.

Magalo
December 27th, 2013, 11:17 AM
What buns are you doing? I can hold a whole bun with two spin pins in a disk bun, and my hair is at hips.

Granger Mane
December 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Normally just a basic bun at the nape of my neck or near the top. Sometimes odango buns with the long and mini ones. Nothing fancy.

desuvsdeath
December 27th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Sometimes what helps me is if I angle the pin toward my head so that it twists through all the layers of hair and then through the hair at the base with the loose ends last.
When I had long hair, I used them as the directions stated, but since I have fairly short hair atm I ALWAYS interlock the pins. They twist together and twist right back out, I've never had an issue with them getting stuck and they stay in much better.

dulce
December 27th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I need to use 4-5 large size spin pins to hold my buns securely and am almost classic,I think different hair lengths,different hair textures,different thicknesses are very individual,if spin pins don't work try the larger size spin pins and use more till you find what works for you..Some need more pins,some need less.

lunalocks
December 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
You may be ready for forks and sticks!

My hair is at hip and 3 spin pins do it, but my hair is not very thick, like yours must be.

Firefox7275
December 27th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I interlock and I don't see any problem with that other than damaging the pins - knock offs are cheap - generally use between two and four pins on APL/ BSL hair depending how its holding that day and what I am up to.

Gibson Tucks and French twists are fairly easy with Spin Pins and less chance of interlocking.

Granger Mane
December 27th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Thx guys

dulce - yeah, gues you're right. I think my hair's 2a if that helps. I'll try adding an extra pin to see if it helps.

lunalocks - can you use forks and sticks for AP-length hair? I thought it had to be longer?? Well there's another skill to try and learn. Along with the French Twist

Angela_Rose
December 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I had to give away my spin pins... I bought some brand new, thinking they would work wonders for me, but alas, that is not the case. Thankfully I have a little friend with lots of hair and her hair loves the spin pins!
I agree that it may be time you graduated to sticks and forks, or Amish pins! Congratulations!

Granger Mane
December 27th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Well, I did some experimenting, and now I've got a pencil holding my hair up. Apart from some flyaways it's staying in very well.

Guess I'll have to start a new thread about hairsticks. I'm assuming there are some discussions on them already up?

Thanks. Feels great to've graduated :)

Angela_Rose
December 27th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Well, I did some experimenting, and now I've got a pencil holding my hair up. Apart from some flyaways it's staying in very well.

Guess I'll have to start a new thread about hairsticks. I'm assuming there are some discussions on them already up?

Thanks. Feels great to've graduated :)

There are probably already several dozen threads on the subject. ;-) Good luck with the new experiments!

lunalocks
December 31st, 2013, 07:21 PM
I had not tried using forks or sticks until I was at waist, but I think it will work. My first sticks were a pair of bamboo knitting needles. get some and try it.

long&blonde
December 31st, 2013, 08:03 PM
I'm guessing it may be trying to bun layers.
I thought I was good with spin pins till I tried bunning a coworkers thick APL layered hair into a bun. Omg-the layers just would Not stay wrapped. Bunning layers is tough! I vote claw clip till the layers grow out some,too.

ashke50
January 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM
I use spin pins on my hair (TBL, fine) and they work very well. They tend to do best in buns that have at least some twisting of the hair, or braided buns, from what I can tell. I use 2-4 depending what bun I am doing.

chen bao jun
January 3rd, 2014, 06:34 PM
I also think layers are your problem. When I was APL (but had no layers) I could use spin pins to hold up hair if I secured it first in a hair friendly elastic or cut up pantyhose. But I do find amish pins work better. The longer ones, with the crinkles (my hair just spits the short uncrinkled ones out.
France Luxe has some nice claw clips, btw.