PDA

View Full Version : How Much of Your Hair Have You Had to Cut Due to Split Ends?

openeyeddreamer
December 27th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I have soo many split ends, possibly inches of them! I'm afraid to cut them all :confused:

TiaKitty
December 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I cut all of my split ends in one go, using the compact cut method. I cut off about 6 inches. It was worth it; my hemline has really improved and I had much less grabbing and tangling. I kept my layers and taper so updos are still easy.

Unfortunately, my splits are back. So I guess I need to do do a microtrim. And make sure my scissors are sharp.

Madora
December 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM
If you don't address the split end problem, your hair will only get worse. Split ends travel and damage the hair further.

Best get a trim and get rid of the splits.

You might want to investigate this remedy for helping with the split end problem:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

ositarosita
December 27th, 2013, 09:01 AM
When my hair was really damaged I grew my hair for a year that I cut from APL to CHIN ... so that I could be split free. It was completely worth it because I personally would rather have healthy soft hair that's short than have long dry split damaged hair ... I always pick health over length

Maktub
December 27th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I also had big cuts when I joined LHC, about from BSL to APL, and maintaining somewhere around BSL.
Cut a few inches, then used pure henna overall for a while. That really helped.

But I still had some unwanted "layers", probably caused by old damage, further up and wanted a thick and even hemline. So I cut back to APL last may (cutting about 4 inches and getting rid of all the henna at the same time).

This gave me thick APL all virgin natural and pretty much damage free hair ... about 3 years later. Soon to be BSL now.

I don't regret all these cuts and detours, but it probably wasn't the fastest road to long hair !

NuclearApple
December 27th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I cut 23 cm of hair because of splits in one go and i'd say my hair has never been this healthy in more than 4 years,I suggest you to trim the inches of splits you find,because it will get worse (personal experience) if you don't.
If you find it too difficoult to do it in one go,microtrims every month! the important is removing not time :)

spidermom
December 27th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I've cut as much as 7 inches at one time due to thousands of splits. Sigh ......... it seems that no matter what I do, I get lots of split ends.

Gothchiq
December 27th, 2013, 10:28 AM
I usually just do search and destroy. Recently I had my husband trim about half an inch off the ends just to keep everything even. Now as for the husband, his hair is a bit past tailbone length and it's very fine textured. The last few inches have a lot of splitting. I do search and destroy on his hair every few months and other trims are as needed. I cut about 3/4 inch off his ends earlier this week because the hemline was getting uneven. The most I ever cut at one time from him was about 3 inches because that amount was just fried and nothing but cutting would address that. It's hair that grew in the timebefore he learned how to properly care for it. Once that whole part has grown out and been trimmed off, I'll expect an increase in hair length and quality, and a thicker hemline on him. My hair is almost BSL. About a year and a half ago I had to do a big chop because of chemical damage. What I have now is unsplit and much better quality just in general.

arcane
December 27th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Feb 2012 I cut from waist to shoulder to get rid of splits. Then I just did S&D until this November where I cut off about 2 inches using Faye's self trim method as from my shoulder down is still heavily damaged from bleaching, dying, and heat. Then earlier this month I took off another inch using the compact ponytail method for layers. I still have some splits but they are much more manageable. Now I'm just going to trim when they get too much-most of my splits are not at the bottom of my hair so the layering helped me a lot. I'm still partway between waist and hip though.

Granger Mane
December 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Since I started regrowing my hair 13 months ago, Ive had half an inch of splits chopped.

If I had a lot, unfortunately, Id either do it all at once, or in two sessions. Its better in the long run.

Marika
December 27th, 2013, 11:47 AM
None. I'd be bald if I cut my hair due to split ends. I think even my eyelashes have split ends!:p I have probably thousands of split ends but my hair doesn't look that bad and it grows like a weed :shrug: It's always been like that and I don't stress about it. I s&d sometimes but it's an endless job.

lunalocks
December 27th, 2013, 11:48 AM
You will have to trim them off, then treat your hair very well so you have minimal wear and tear. I prevent splits by using catnip tea rinses, soaks and leave ins. And a drop of mineral oil on the ends after washing and at bedtime before bunning. I also wear my hair up 95% of the time. And S and D routinely what few splits I do get. Before catnip tea I had a ton.

NoRush
December 27th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I went from midback to ear to get rid of splits and layers (and splits on layers) and I don't regret it, my hair has never felt better. That being said, I was ready for a change, I wanted to try out short hair, I didn't go in terrified of how much the stylist was gonna cut, I didn't care about length remaining.

I definitely would do it again like that if need be, but it's a very personal choice, I would recommend you chop it all off at once because it will take care of the problem and leave you with a great starting point, but NOT if the idea of loosing a ton of length scares you as it will only make you miserable.

HintOfMint
December 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I've cut about a foot of hair due to splits. That was years ago, and I don't regret it. If the damage is truly widespread, there's nothing like a good trim to get rid of all the damage. Then you can focus on prevention rather than just dragging around hair you're not happy with.

Kikina
December 27th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I went from MBL to AL, but I really needed to. My hair was full of the little white dots on its ends, so cut them all.

Nightshade
December 27th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I grew out my immensely damaged hair with the method in the article in my siggy :)

Essentially I did micro-trims monthly (about 1/4 in) and then also did search and destroy. That kept the end clean and reduced tangling, which let it keep growing, but the trimming also let the broken bits above catch up.

BlueMajorelle
December 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I had to cut a whole 10 inches once because my hair accidentally made friends with a candle while making pysanky. It was almost to waist length too... :( But at least I could donate the length that wasn't singed off.

SerinaDaith
December 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I've always just done random chops generally from about BSL to Chin, not for splits just because I could. Now I've been s&d for about a year, I'm flirting with BSL in back and solidly BSL in front. Weird I know but I haven't even bothered with getting my A line bob evened out. I started here withna fresh chop since I wanted to have all my layers out and a nice hemline. Sometimes a big chop seems like a step back but healthy hair is generally worth it.

melusine963
December 27th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Before I started following LHC methods, I spent years having to chop off half my annual growth each year due to splits and damage. Even after I found this forum, it took a long time to trim off the remaining damage. Thank goodness S&Ds and minor trims are all I need now.

QMacrocarpa
December 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM
OP, if you decide to trim to reduce your splits, it's worth trying a tiny trim before doing anything drastic. I have hair that's quite prone to splitting and breaking (and I never S&D, for reasons of preserving my sanity), and though I'm sure I'm never entirely split-free, a tiny self-trim (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/) can make a big difference in how grabby/velcro-y my hair is and whether it instantly tangles the moment I've finished detangling it. If a tiny trim doesn't give you the result you want, you can always trim a little bit more. It's a lot tougher to go back in time and trim less!

trolleypup
December 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM
None. I'd be bald if I cut my hair due to split ends. I think even my eyelashes have split ends!:p I have probably thousands of split ends but my hair doesn't look that bad and it grows like a weed :shrug: It's always been like that and I don't stress about it. I s&d sometimes but it's an endless job.
Being in the terminal range, trimming does very little for splits, since they are all through my length...so S&D is the way to go...lots and lots of S&D.

KehtaNier
December 27th, 2013, 05:26 PM
About ten inches, a year ago. I just wanted all my damaged hair gone, gone, gone!
My sister went in for a half inch trim, "just cut off the split ends", and lost five or six inches. She freaked, and I don't think she has gotten a trim or cut since. That was nine or ten years ago.

windwhispers
January 9th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Last year I fried my hair after dying it and had so many split ends. At the time it was just below BSL and I cut it up to about shoulder length. Doing that really helped the condition of my hair.

jacqueline101
January 9th, 2014, 08:40 PM
The last time I trimmed a lot off since starting my hair growth journey I'm going to guess two inches. I didn't measure how much I cut off. I mean made sure my hair was even but I never did measure my clippings.

GoddesJourney
January 9th, 2014, 08:43 PM
I chopped 3-4 inches at a time for about a year, trimming to about APL every time, when I was growing out dye and the damage that comes from experimenting with it. My hair felt like straw. I was so happy to be rid of it but never willing to go shorter than that. Then I chopped it from around WL to shoulder and then pixie just to make it short. My hair was perfectly healthy. That I was definitely unhappy with very quickly. I am now around CBL begging time to slip my hair by just a little bit faster or at least more unnoticed. :)

AmyBeth
January 10th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I've always taken such good care of my hair, that even when I blew it dry, I didn't get too many splits. Now that I use no heat and use henna, I get virtually no split ends. I'm on a mission to keep the ends of my hair as pristine as when they emerged from my scalp!