PDA

View Full Version : A thread idea!

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I have an idea for a thread that would in my imagination be very useful to many LHCers and LHC lurkers,but I am not sure how much will it be appreciated,if even at all.I am somewhat self conscious when making new threads and right now have crazy butterflies in my stomach,so if this seems like something that wouldn't work please be kind with me :o.

There are threads in the spirit of "What is my hair colour?" popping up all the time.It is understandable - usually it is the colour of undyed hair that is being questioned,probably also because it gets increasingly rare to see undyed hair (might vary from place to place).But I guess even people who dye their hair might end up not really sure about what colour their hair is :).

What if we made a thread with pictures and descriptions of various hair colours?.

What do you think?Yes,or no?

Of the Fae
December 27th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Might be good :) Perhaps a chart? But then you'd also have to incorporate colours in various light settings!

NuclearApple
December 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM
It would be great! :)

Aingeal
December 27th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Don't be nervous! Everyone here is helpful!

That sounds fun. I agree that we would need pics in different lighting too. :)

restless
December 27th, 2013, 06:30 AM
I think thats a great idea :)

Night_Kitten
December 27th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I like that idea :)
Such a thread could indeed be helpful, and any thread with pics of beautiful hair is always welcome, lol :)

woodswanderer
December 27th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I would love this thread...I never quite know what to call my color.

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Might be good :) Perhaps a chart? But then you'd also have to incorporate colours in various light settings!

Btw we have the exact same post count :P
Yes,now we do :).
A chart? I think I can imagine that quite well!

Don't be nervous! Everyone here is helpful!

That sounds fun. I agree that we would need pics in different lighting too. :)

I know! LHC is awesome! :joy: I am just uncomfortable with posting in online discussions, in general.

On different lighting - while it would certainly be better to have pictures of the same head of hair in a variety of lighting,if enough pictures are collected,there will naturally come up a lot of variety.Of course if anybody wants to take pictures in different lightings,great!:) But for many people it is just easier to post whatever picture they have on hand.

I like that idea :)
Such a thread could indeed be helpful, and any thread with pics of beautiful hair is always welcome, lol :)
So true ! :D

lapushka
December 27th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Just start it already! :D ;)

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I would love this thread...I never quite know what to call my color.

To be honest,me neither.I have never seen anybody with my natural colour from what I remember it looked like. I have a picture of my hair at SL,it is in natural light,the sun was shining from behinde me,where the top has an ashy,white glow and the bottom curls a coppery flare.That is very close to how I remember it,I know I had golden-red curls at the bottom.

I am now growing out hair dye,and call the roots auburn,because it looks redder than most hair around the same lightness/darkness as my hair I see IRL.I think the term does it justice.
Of course,many people don't even know what auburn looks like or only consider really bright auburn hair as auburn,so I often describe it as just brown :D

Just start it already! :D ;)
Okay okay :D

ETA: Is it okay to start two similar threads at once? Shouldn't I wait or something?

Madora
December 27th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Nice idea. However, to achieve true color accuracy, it would be best to take the photo outdoors in sunlight. Indoor lighting really can play havoc with true hair color.

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Nice idea. However, to achieve true color accuracy, it would be best to take the photo outdoors in sunlight. Indoor lighting really can play havoc with true hair color.
Do you mean indoor lighting,such as from a window,or like a light bulb?
This is true for artificial lighting ,it plays havoc with hair colour- one thing is that the colour changes to the tone of the bulb,second thing is that the light from the bulb doesn't have to be the same everywhere.

I think the best solution is to just let everyone post what they think represents their colour best.What do you all think?

On a side note,how do we want to put it all together? Pics scattered through the thread would be chaotic and counterproductive to the point of the thread.

Madora
December 27th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Do you mean indoor lighting,such as from a window,or like a light bulb?
This is true for artificial lighting ,it plays havoc with hair colour- one thing is that the colour changes to the tone of the bulb,second thing is that the light from the bulb doesn't have to be the same everywhere.

I think the best solution is to just let everyone post what they think represents their colour best.What do you all think?

On a side note,how do we want to put it all together? Pics scattered through the thread would be chaotic and counterproductive to the point of the thread.

Light bulbs (I've found) can ruin true hair color because some are tinted, some are flourescent, some are soft white. Your hair can come out looking a different color depending on your light source. That's why I suggested outdoor photography.

However, I realize that outdoor pics might not be an option for those who don't have anyone to take the pic, or do not have a timer or tripod setup.

OurAtronach
December 27th, 2013, 10:58 AM
So would this be a database sort of thread? Orrr individuals posting their hair and getting feedback?

Or both? :p

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2013, 11:03 AM
So would this be a database sort of thread? Orrr individuals posting their hair and getting feedback?

Or both? :p

Dare I say both?
Even if it was just a database sort of thread,there will be posters asking for opinions of others when determining hair colour...

OurAtronach
December 27th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Both is good! I'll surely be there, soaking up the affirmations that my hair is darker than I think :o Hopefully

Maybe someone should make a template of hair in different (natural and artificial) lighting? I find that outdoors light is also deceiving, depending on the time of day.

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Both is good! I'll surely be there, soaking up the affirmations that my hair is darker than I think :o Hopefully

Maybe someone should make a template of hair in different (natural and artificial) lighting? I find that outdoors light is also deceiving, depending on the time of day.
That would be awesome!
But let's make pics in different lights optional.Or what do you say people? Is it necessary?
As many of you have mentioned,light is really deceiving in some cases.So maybe we can let the people decide what is the best representation of their hair,what it looks most like in reality.

ETA: I mean,not everybody has the nerves/time/money/tripod/self timer/guts/potatoes to take a lot of pics :D

Ocelan
December 27th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I think this sounds like a great idea! I think it might need some planning first though as that way it would be great at the start rather than winging it and then changing on the way. I'm thinking that there would be pictures and descriptions in the first post of the thread rather than scattered along. Should the pictures be collected separately or in the same thread? What about the articles section? Is it already possible to post new articles there? As I think atleast after the thread is ready it should be made into an article.

For me a picture chart with all kinds of hair colors came to mind where the lightest whitest blondes (or just plain white?) are on the left hand top corner and the blackest black in the bottom right hand corner. Then on the top row there are for example level 10 blondes in different shades (cool, warm, gray, white and so on), on the next row level 9 colors, then 8 and so and so on. So basically vertically the darkness would increase when going downwards and then for example warmness would increase when going from left to right. Each picture in chart could have a name or names that color is called, or if there would be too much text for that, they could have numbers assigned to them.

Then there could be more pictures of each "general" hair color with their variations, like "blonde" which can be divided to light or dark (or dirty blonde) and there can be cool "ashy blondes" and "strawberry blondes". The same thing for brunettes, black hair, grey hair, red hair and hopefully also for blonette even though mid colors like that are a bit hard because they can sometimes look dark blonde and sometimes light brown, but I assume it's the same with some other borderline hair colors.

Which brings us to the fact that colors look different in different lights. I don't think it's quite possible to portray each and every hair color in all lighting conditions without building this , but could there be examples or some colors or atleast the "general" hair colors? I know my hair color changes a lot depending on lighting, so I'm assuming most other virgin hair colors do too (example picture of my hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7740&d=1385405423)). I think the best way to see the actual hair color is outside in non-direct sunlight as sunlight usually brings out golden tones even in hair that is very cool toned, but others might disagree with this.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea and I just wanted to share my input on how my brain says it would be somewhat logical to do. You can by all meand disregard all this and do it your way. :)

LadyCelestina
December 27th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I think this sounds like a great idea! I think it might need some planning first though as that way it would be great at the start rather than winging it and then changing on the way. I'm thinking that there would be pictures and descriptions in the first post of the thread rather than scattered along. Should the pictures be collected separately or in the same thread? What about the articles section? Is it already possible to post new articles there? As I think atleast after the thread is ready it should be made into an article.

For me a picture chart with all kinds of hair colors came to mind where the lightest whitest blondes (or just plain white?) are on the left hand top corner and the blackest black in the bottom right hand corner. Then on the top row there are for example level 10 blondes in different shades (cool, warm, gray, white and so on), on the next row level 9 colors, then 8 and so and so on. So basically vertically the darkness would increase when going downwards and then for example warmness would increase when going from left to right. Each picture in chart could have a name or names that color is called, or if there would be too much text for that, they could have numbers assigned to them.

Then there could be more pictures of each "general" hair color with their variations, like "blonde" which can be divided to light or dark (or dirty blonde) and there can be cool "ashy blondes" and "strawberry blondes". The same thing for brunettes, black hair, grey hair, red hair and hopefully also for blonette even though mid colors like that are a bit hard because they can sometimes look dark blonde and sometimes light brown, but I assume it's the same with some other borderline hair colors.

Which brings us to the fact that colors look different in different lights. I don't think it's quite possible to portray each and every hair color in all lighting conditions without building this , but could there be examples or some colors or atleast the "general" hair colors? I know my hair color changes a lot depending on lighting, so I'm assuming most other virgin hair colors do too (example picture of my hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7740&d=1385405423)). I think the best way to see the actual hair color is outside in non-direct sunlight as sunlight usually brings out golden tones even in hair that is very cool toned, but others might disagree with this.

Anyway, I think this is a great idea and I just wanted to share my input on how my brain says it would be somewhat logical to do. You can by all meand disregard all this and do it your way. :)
Your input is greatly valued,Ocelan :) I don't want this to be something that is done "my way".I want something we all help to create,by us,for us.
I think the articles are not yet fully working.
A chart has been mentioned earlier in this thread,and would be perfect fit for an article,for when there will be enough pics and articles working.It would be really practical to have one quick overview of colours,so that one doesn't have to go through a massive thread.

I see one problem and that is - how to keep it clean and contained,if there are more pictures than we can stuff in an article or first page of the thread.Any ideas?

Anje
December 27th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Have at it!

One suggestion on the lighting thing -- I've seen some very cool pics of hair that were done by sticking it in a flatbed scanner. While it's not something everyone can do, it often gives less ambiguous results than different lighting conditions and different cameras with their own white balance settings.

ETA: I often see a first post that is mainly links. So you could link to posts with the between blond and brown pictures, or the reddish ones, or whatever. Then someone just has to curate it.

sparrowswing
December 27th, 2013, 12:15 PM
I say you need a variety of lighting for each color. Just saying "outside in natural sunlight" isn't as helpful as it seems. My hair can look very different outside, depending on time of day and just how direct the sunlight is. Inside, even with different light sources, it usually looks very similar. (I've been told I'm a level 2, but I think I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.) I'll have to try scanning it and see how it turns out...

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz235/CeruleanSiren/LHC/Lighting_zpsf585f08c.png~original

LadyCelestina
December 28th, 2013, 02:34 AM
Have at it!

One suggestion on the lighting thing -- I've seen some very cool pics of hair that were done by sticking it in a flatbed scanner. While it's not something everyone can do, it often gives less ambiguous results than different lighting conditions and different cameras with their own white balance settings.

ETA: I often see a first post that is mainly links. So you could link to posts with the between blond and brown pictures, or the reddish ones, or whatever. Then someone just has to curate it.
For those who have access to a scanner,yes,that would be really good.It should be accurate.
The links sound good. How often do such threads need to be updated i.e. new links added? :o I'm sorry I never started a huge thread :D Is maybe once a week enough?

I say you need a variety of lighting for each color. Just saying "outside in natural sunlight" isn't as helpful as it seems. My hair can look very different outside, depending on time of day and just how direct the sunlight is. Inside, even with different light sources, it usually looks very similar. (I've been told I'm a level 2, but I think I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.) I'll have to try scanning it and see how it turns out...

Gorgeous hair,sparrowswing :).
That is why I suggested that the pictures with different light could be just optional when posting in the thread.If the picture posting is easy for the poster,more posters will participate and post more.With a lot of pictures posted,there will be plenty of variety by itself.Seeing one hair photographed X times is not as helpful in my opinion as seeing a bunch of pictures of hair that is relatively in the same colour family.If the thread goes well and results in an article or maybe an overview of hair colours,then of course, good quality pictures with hair in different lights such as yours above would be preffered.

How about writing all these ideas about how to capture haircolour best on the first page of the thread? Something like this
*what to post blah blah just an example*
x Hair in different lighting
x Scans of hair
x Picture that represents your colour best
Good quality pictures are preffered.Feel free to write more about your colour ...etc.

Off to have some coffee because I probably sound a bit nuts :silly: .

animetor7
December 28th, 2013, 02:57 AM
I think this is a wonderful idea! I'll be one of the ones asking about my hair color though XD I'm never sure what to call it. It's auburn/bright in the Summer/brown color that I'm not sure what to call. I look forward to this thread or article and help with color typing my hair as well as the opportunity to add my color to whatever category it belongs in to help others. :)