PDA

View Full Version : Mineral oil instead of conditioner?

rcblinn
December 26th, 2013, 08:52 PM
So I've read through Ktani's articles and am intrigued by using mineral oil instead of conditioner. My routine is constantly bouncing around and changing but one thing I strive for ( other than healthy hair) is simplicity. But I can never get mineral oil to work as it should for a conditioner replacement! Do any MO users have any tips or suggestions! Thanks!

Madora
December 26th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I've been using MO in place of conditioner (for detangling purposes). I use 4 drops (applied to my hands via a q-tip). My hair is damp and I just run my palms through my hair over and over until most of the sheen has vanished from my hands. I was very happy with the change as I don't have to rinse out the MO, which is very lightweight and leaves my hair looking great with not as much frizz as with rinsing with conditioner. I use Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil which contains just the oil plus a fragrance.

Libbylou
December 27th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Two year mineral oil user here. I have MBL hair. I use only 2 drops on towel dried hair. I put 2 drops on palm, rub them together, then starting at the ends, do the palm to palm thing with hair in between. Gently comb through hair then I always blot hair again with a towel(I start dripping again). Sometimes I use a couple drops of toadstoolsoaps leave in condishioner, just because I like the smell and it is pretty dry around here lately.
This routine works very well for me. Just remember, everyone's hair is different and your mileage may vary.

lapushka
December 27th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Mineral oil is in my routine, but it is in it as a styling agent. It's not used in place of conditioner. My hair gets shampood, then conditioned twice, then comes styling (leave-in, gel, and serum/mineral oil (2 drops)). It's fine this way, but I *need* the conditioning from my regular conditioners!

catasa
December 27th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I have used mineral oil as a replacement for conditioner for a little over a year, and it works much better than conditioner for me (conditioner always just made my hair feel coated, and made it more frizzy/poofy). I wash with a non-SLS shampoo dilution with some ACV added, and then use about 3-5 drops of pure mineral oil on dripping wet hair. I put the drops on my wet palms and rub them together, then run them over the lenghts and also finger-comb through them, and stroke my hands lightly over the canopy, and then I finalize by squeezing the lenghts together "lentgh-wise" and then scrunch them to encourage the waves. Then I fold the hair into a t-shirt for some minutes to soak up the worst of the dripping, and then either just let it air-dry, or blow-dry on cool from above my head for about 10 minutes. I donīt do anything else, and I donīt use any other products or DT:s (except for colourings with deposit-only, plant-based/organic colour powder).

What made mineral oil work for me was to not try to use it on top of conditioner, to use it on dripping wet hair instead of damp, and to only use pure mineral oil with no other oils or fatty alcohols added. And as you say, I love it because it is so simple! My hair is still not "perfect" and it is not every day that I can wear it down, but at least with this routine I do have quite many days when it is good enough, which I never had before...

I hope that you find a way to make it work for you also, good luck! :blossom:

As an aside, I also use mineral oil on my skin as make up remover and face moisturizer (applied to wet skin), and it works better for me than any regular creams that I have tried for my acne-prone skin.

ErinLeigh
December 27th, 2013, 05:55 AM
So I've read through Ktani's articles and am intrigued by using mineral oil instead of conditioner. My routine is constantly bouncing around and changing but one thing I strive for ( other than healthy hair) is simplicity. But I can never get mineral oil to work as it should for a conditioner replacement! Do any MO users have any tips or suggestions! Thanks!

Loreal everstrong conditioner Contains mineral oil. I have toyed with trying that.
I have a leave in Creme that is mineral oil based if haven't tried either. I think if I do try it I am going to try baby oil instead.
I don't know if I would replace conditioner but I can see using it in addition too for me.
My only hesitation is buildup. How easy does this remove? Is co wash enough?

ErinLeigh
December 27th, 2013, 05:58 AM
This is an intriguing thread. I really want to try it as I think it could be a good addition to routine. If you mineral
Oil... Do you stop other oilings?

breezefaerie
December 27th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I haven't made the jump to using only mineral oil, but I do use it.
My method is to shampoo with a diluted shampoo mix, use a light, cone free conditioner, and follow with a couple of drops on wet hair.
Makes my fine thin hair look and feel it's best.

I should really try the mineral oil only in place of conditiner one of these days.

catasa
December 27th, 2013, 07:55 AM
My only hesitation is buildup. How easy does this remove? Is co wash enough?
If you mineral
Oil... Do you stop other oilings?

Regarding buildup, for me I found that conditioner built up much worse on my hair than mineral oil. Also my rather hard/mineral rich water builds up, so I clarify about once a month at least. It is hard for me to say how the mineral oil would build up with softer water or on hair that does better with conditioner than mine, but from what I remember from ktanis articles/posts it should wash out fine with CO or with SLS-free shampoo.

And regarding other oilings, personally I have stopped trying them completely, but then again as I said, my hair does not seem to like either deep treatments or conditioner. I donīt know if it is my water, my hair type or a combination, but anyway I have stopped trying.. (my hair is about 2c, a little bit longer than BSL, medium coarse and ii. I still havenīt been able to figure out if it is porous or nonporous, but since it "reacts" quite strongly/negatively to a lot of things I am guessing that it is very much one or the other...). Anyway, I think that hairs that respond better to DT:s will still benefit from other oils since mineral oil does not penetrate at all (as far as I know), it is only a sealant.

lunalocks
December 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I wash with clarifying conditioner on length and ends, then with shampoo, then do a catnip rinse or soak, then apply 1 to 2 drops mineral oil to ends and a bit on length which eliminates flyaways. I have been doing this routine for over a year and love it. I also put a drop on ends at bedtime. I have tried just about every oil there is, and I like mineral oil the best. I use generic baby oil. Baby oil is thinner than plain mineral oil and goes on smoother.

durgidog
December 27th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I've used mineral oil in place of conditioner for the past 3 shampoos and so far so good.