PDA

View Full Version : Should bobby pins be burned or are they here to stay?

WoolSweater
December 26th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Sorry for two threads in one day, I'm awaiting the hair police. :D...

I'm a serial user of bobby pins/kirby grips/like wise. I used them allll the time when growing out my bob, I mean about 20 in my up do since my hair was short and very fine, which means slippage and ends sticking out. Anyway, I still use them now when doing buns, and every time I take them out I hear a hair snapping. This didn't used to phase me at all, but now since I'm trying to grow my hair out, I wanted to know the consensus. And if they should be burned, what do you use in place of the kirbys? The idea of a hair fork staying in my hair for longer than a minute can induce some serious chuckling, but maybe I haven't tried the right one. But I can't help but feel for every pin I slip in my bun, three hairs are crying...

(This is such a 1st world problem sounding post, please note all this is meant with a jesting tone, though I AM serious about wanting to know what you use to keep your up dos... up!)

neko_kawaii
December 26th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I generally don't have a problem with snapping hairs if the tips of the bobby pins are in good shape. As soon as they get a little worn they start snagging and snapping. Chuck em when that happens.

Have you tried spin pins? I love mine.

Forks will hold well for you with length and practice.

Madora
December 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Bobby pins are really only fit for holding tiny amounts of hair in place. You have to be careful taking them out. I use 3 inch hairpins myself. Also have 2 inch hairpins for lighter holding purposes.

butterflybutton
December 26th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I've not had any trouble with bobby pins, as long as the little balls on the ends are intact. The snap clips are a killer though shudder:

Aingeal
December 26th, 2013, 06:56 PM
I use them to keep my baby curls down in my updo the day after a wash. Never had any issues. Also used them to hold my bangs back for nearly a year while growing them out and they are perfectly healthy. :)

Ambystoma
December 26th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I've always had problems with taking them out too no matter how gentle I tried to be, so I ditched them - these days if I want to use something other than just a stick I go for spin pins (they're amazing and everyone needs to try them :joy:) or if it's just a few unruly baby hairs I smooth them in with aloe gel. I've used the more U shaped small hairpins that don't clamp down on the hairs at all with success as well, but they're not as easy as spin pins.

Chromis
December 26th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I had no luck at all with spin pins, but don't do many pinned styles these days. In the military I had to use pins to keep every bit of hair restrained and I find there is a lot of difference in quality between bobby pins. Ditch the dollar store junk and even the drugstore ones and try the ones at Sally's that come in a tin (or a big jar, but the tins were enough for me). I also like Amish hair pins which ought to be available near you since you mentioned a high Menno population. They are very popular with the Old Order folks I hear or you can find them on-line.

What I like best are Ficcare Maximas and Ficcarissimos, followed by forks and sticks. (I bought my most of my Ficcares from Nordstroms. I don't know if they still carry them these days given that they seem to be like gold on the swap board now!) You can find forks and sticks on-line. I have rarely been able to buy that kind of thing locally that was of any decent quality. 60th Street makes some great forks that are beginner-friendly and not too hard on the budget. For a cheap stick option, I really like QueCraft's horn sticks (I haven't had luck with their forks or the wood things I have tried, but many of their horn sticks are very sturdy and handsome. I suggest going with the thicker ones and avoiding the funny shaped ones to start.) NightBlooming and Barefoot Maiden also make nice sticks at a variety of prices. Some like single sticks, others like pairs. I like pairs if they are thinner and singles for big thick sticks. My favourite stick maker is Timberstone Turnings, but some of the fancy ones can be quite expensive. The plain ones are much cheaper though. Most of these items have good resale value too, so you ought to be able to sell or trade them on the swap board if they don't work out for your head of hair.

Islandgrrl
December 26th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Nordstrom does still carry Ficcares. :)

I gave up using bobby pins ages ago. I found they always pulled. I get better results with Amish pins. They work great, especially to secure the extra hair around a sock bun (Chromis, you know exactly what I'm talking about!). The ones with the little bends in them hold better than the completely straight ones.

Chromis
December 26th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Haha, yes, yes I know exactly what you mean!And that annoying thing where you get loops of those wispy nape hairs that won't go up with the rest too...those were my biggest bugbear!

Soooo.....you wouldn't happen to know which ones are they carrying now? Only acetates or do they have any of the plain metal and enamel ones left? (I might have a couple of gaps in my collection you see, I know there is a plain black and some blondes from the classic collection that have a gold back and the silkies came out more recently.)

PixxieStix
December 26th, 2013, 09:33 PM
I use bobby pins on occasion, and generally don't have a problem with them breaking hair as I remove them, but I learned a long time ago it was worth the couple extra bucks to buy the nice ones, the kind I can get at Target or other similar stores have the ends that come off easy and OUCH! Those will break my hair. My hair is pretty thick though and I've found bobby pins really only good for holding down fly aways.

Islandgrrl
December 26th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Haha, yes, yes I know exactly what you mean!And that annoying thing where you get loops of those wispy nape hairs that won't go up with the rest too...those were my biggest bugbear!

Soooo.....you wouldn't happen to know which ones are they carrying now? Only acetates or do they have any of the plain metal and enamel ones left? (I might have a couple of gaps in my collection you see, I know there is a plain black and some blondes from the classic collection that have a gold back and the silkies came out more recently.)

Last time I was there was my last trip to the mainland, so about a month ago. They had acetates, which I went to look at...wanted to see them before I made a purchase I might regret...they also had gold and silver matte, black, and tortoise. At least that's what I remember seeing. They didn't have much in large (probably not their target market), but there was a good stock of the other sizes. And the acetates looked nice (i subsequently purchased a couple directly from Ficcare).

Oh! Those nape hairs. The bane of my existence. Buggers never stay put.

HintOfMint
December 26th, 2013, 11:37 PM
I'd recommend spin pins for holding up the bulk of your hair and bobby pins for pinning long bangs or wispy hair from the nape of your neck. I haven't had trouble with bobby pins unless they were old (coating peeling and the like) or cheap.

Naiadryade
December 26th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Spin pins for the win! :hollie:

lapushka
December 27th, 2013, 04:06 AM

LOL! :lol: Post away, dear! :D ;)

I'm a serial user of bobby pins/kirby grips/like wise. I used them allll the time when growing out my bob, I mean about 20 in my up do since my hair was short and very fine, which means slippage and ends sticking out. Anyway, I still use them now when doing buns, and every time I take them out I hear a hair snapping. This didn't used to phase me at all, but now since I'm trying to grow my hair out, I wanted to know the consensus. And if they should be burned, what do you use in place of the kirbys? The idea of a hair fork staying in my hair for longer than a minute can induce some serious chuckling, but maybe I haven't tried the right one. But I can't help but feel for every pin I slip in my bun, three hairs are crying...

If your hair is at a length where it simply is impossible to keep it in its updo without bobby pins, then just... *do* it! Taking them out is something else, but I'm sure if it's done carefully there's little to no damage to the hair.

kiezel
December 27th, 2013, 04:25 AM
If i don't take them out completely perpendicularly, they will pinch a hair and snap it.

ErinLeigh
December 27th, 2013, 05:05 AM
My hair snags and snaps with bobby pins. The are a nightmare for my fine hair.

SleepyTangles
December 27th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I use the "big" pins, the U shaped ones. Amish pins, I think they are called :).
They don't snag and are gentle on the scalp, provided they have they still have the little caps at the ends (or they are smoothly made). I am re-evaluating them, they hold well my buns and distribuites the weight better than a center-held hairstick bun.

chen bao jun
December 27th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I like Amish pins best, the longer ones with the bend in them. I used to use spin pins but now they seem to hurt my head, all of a sudden. I don't know why.
Some people have luck with the good day hair pins. they broke in my hair, but I have killer hair.
Ficcares are again available in enamel. ficcare.com
I LOVE ketylo hair sticks and find they really hold, you might try a Ketylo. 60th street forks are also a good deal adn work well for me.

jacqueline101
December 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM
I think spin pins are better but bobby pins are alright to hold small amounts of hair. You have to watch the ends to make sure they have the rubber tips and don't snag hairs.

Firefox7275
December 27th, 2013, 08:37 AM

(This is such a 1st world problem sounding post, please note all this is meant with a jesting tone, though I AM serious about wanting to know what you use to keep your up dos... up!)

An tool can be overused or used poorly. If your hair is fairly short do you need to be doing constant up dos/ protective styling? Is your style truly protective if you are causing breakage with the number of bobby pins needed?

I use knock off Spin Pins for my buns on hair at APL/ BSL length and either live with the flyaways or try to lay them down with a gentle styling product (many rate aloe gel, flaxseed gel, okra gel or even a very light oiling). I also use beak clips (with small teeth for grip) for twist that resembles a figure 8. You can use silk or satin Alice bands/ headbands to tame the hairline.

ositarosita
December 27th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I try to only use jaw clips because I find that bobby pins pull and snag, elastics break, hair sticks (hehe my hair laughs in their face)

Anje
December 27th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Don't take away the bobby pins! I got talked into bangs last year, and now I need them (and those little snap clips, I admit it) as I grow them back out, since the alternative of shaving them off doesn't go well in the long run. ;)

For buns, though, I much prefer Amish pins, though any stiff U-shaped hairpin will do. The trick to using them is to treat them just like they're tiny hairforks, not like bobby pins. The ones with wavy sides are harder for hair to spit out. I'd recommend the spin pins, but for some reason they always pull uncomfortably for me.

WoolSweater
December 27th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Very familiar with Mennonite pins, but I've never tried them because I thought they were for only long hair. They're made from steel from what I've seen, and steel actually staying in my collarbone length, fine, slippery hair... can it be done?! :D

I'm also browsing to get a hair fork and some sticks, recommended specifically for finer hair. Hmm.

wildtohold
December 27th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I use a lot of hairpins for dancers, which I think are similar to the Amish/Mennonite pins folks are talking about. The nice thing about the bunheads (http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_BH434.html?pid=5849&Shop=Style&SID=348079707) pins is that they come in different lengths and shades to vanish into your hair, and they have both u-shaped pins and the usual bobby pins. I got started using them for ballet class and love them to bits.

Loviatar
December 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I have fine slippery hair and I love Amish pins. I can hold a bun (when I had long hair) with only 3 of them :)