PDA

View Full Version : What determines your product use routine?

ErinLeigh
December 26th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Does anyone ever get overwhelmed trying to use all their fun hair products?

i have such a vast collection its almost too much mentally to figure out how I am going to use them all.
Between the different types of shampoo and conditioners ( do I want cones,sls, low poo, natural,protein,moisture or a COwash) oils (do I want coconut,hemp, neem,jojoba,olive,castor,avocado,sesame,grapeseed, argan). Leave ins (cones, no cones, mineral oil, Creme,spray, serum, herbal) styling options (mousse,gel,hairspray,styling Creme) heat protectors, protein treatments , butters, deep conditioners etc etc it seems I can go crazy trying to decide what combination I feel like using each day. Heck some days I do nothing as I do like a clean weightless feel. I am starting to feel like a hoarder and am thinking about pairing it down to 2 options and giving the rest away to people who need them. I have been collecting hair products for as long as I can remember and now that I actually know and understand their ingredients I am going nuts trying to determine which to use each day. I used to simply choose by scent!

Do you guys switch it up often and have lots of different products to play with or have you found your HG routing that you stick to? If you switch it up do you have many options or just a few?

ositarosita
December 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm a switcher ... I usually use something for a month or until it's finished then I move onto whatever else I have on hand. I tend to buy 3-5 products at once. However I don't use styling products just my shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner, leave in, serums and oils. I tend to buy in bulk (lol sounds better that way) and slowly work through everything I have. Then once it's ALL gone I move onto something else. Currently though I have found my go to leave in and I think I found my shampoo... I find that so long as I have one constant or go to product I feel better and am less flustered or over excited to buy something new. My problem is that I just get bored so fast with products. Even my DH insists on me buying the smaller bottles so that I can finish them before I get too bored.

PixxieStix
December 26th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Well, I found my HG products, but decided to try switching it up a bit, and now I have a few bottles of shampoo and conditioner my hair HATES that hopefully my husband will use up. I'm sure in the years ahead I will try new products again, but I'm less likely to stray now that I know what works for me, as I don't like spending money generally on items I don't or won't use much.

Sillage
December 26th, 2013, 02:16 PM
A lot of trial and error here :laugh:

I'm trying to minimize the number of products that I use. Right now I L'Oreal EverPure Smoothing shampoo is my HG... I don't have an HG conditioner but Pantene Ice Shine is close enough for the moment. For leave ins I do Alterna Kendi Dry Oil spray which is very coney and leaves my hair super smooth and sleek feeling, and shea butter. The shea butter is kind of grabby feeling but it really makes my hair, especially the ends supple. I use both the shea and Alterna spray in wet hair, after shampooing/conditioning.

DweamGoiL
December 26th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I'm with PixxieStix. I have tried so many products over the years; some good and most were disappointments. So now, I tend to rely on a core set of products. I stay away from sulfates and cones except for deep conditioners, but I do want to experiment very soon with making my own from natural butters and oils. That way, I can completely sever my relationship with cones entirely.

sarahthegemini
December 26th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Tbh the thought of having so many products sounds exhausting. I have 4 products: Coconut oil, Asda Essentials Co for co-wash, GVN S. A.S as my RO, and Schwarzkopf Gliss for my LI. That's it. I don't want to have a bunch of products that I can only use on specific days, humidity levels and dews etc.

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I'm trying to use up my stash and minimize my products to about 5 or less. I did give up stiffening agents. I'm happy about that.

Madora
December 26th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Found my routine over 20 years ago and have stayed with it...my GM pink creme shampoo and conditioner. Period. Last year I gave up conditioner and switched to MO.

Hootenanny
December 26th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I go through phases where I buy a huge number of products, and then use all of the stash up before buying again (similar to ositarosita). I tend to choose what to use on a particular day based on dew point/weather and past moisture/protein usage. So, for example, if I recently used a protein-heavy conditioner or styling product, then next wash I will use a protein-free one.

lapushka
December 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Do you guys switch it up often and have lots of different products to play with or have you found your HG routing that you stick to? If you switch it up do you have many options or just a few?

I have a stack of products, but all the same kinds of products. All my shampoos are harsh sulfate shampoos without silicones. All my conditioners are coney. All my leave-ins as well. My gels are alcohol free and then there's coney serums and/or mineral oil. But I hoard. My mom buys in bulk for me, when I ask her to please get a particular product for me, usually when something is on sale and it can't be passed up. ;)

velorutionista
December 26th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I have a few die-hard favorites that I usually use (shampoo/conditioner/leave in), and a ragtag collection of partial bottles that I use for variety...most of those are sample sizes of either travel souvenirs (I won't pack shampoo if I can buy it on the other side!), or stuff I've heard of and want to try, but don't want 2 liters of in case I don't like it!

meteor
December 26th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I have a few staples and everything else is in rotation.
I need to have a very gentle shampoo, a harsh one (for clarifying), conditioner with protein, without protein, a coney leave-in, a bunch of oils. I don't need any styling products or tools though. I can definitely throw away gel, mousse and hairspray.
I am trying to use up my stash.

Loviatar
December 26th, 2013, 06:20 PM
These days, ingredients determine it for me primarily, and the item's effect on my hair. I have one bottle of sulphate shampoo which I use once a month.

I used to be a die hard hoarder with a billion different products. Now I use shampoo bars (still various types as I like the CV samples) and cone free conditioner. I have a ton of conditioners to use up, due to my old hoarding/impulse buying ways, but I'm steadily working through them a bottle at a time. I've banned myself from buying any more. I found a pretty perfect couple of conditioners; Schwarzkopf Gliss Volume and Garnier Fructis strength & shine, both of which can be bought at my local £1 store.

HintOfMint
December 27th, 2013, 12:54 AM
At this point, you can use your stash to do some hardcore experimenting to figure out your perfect routine. I have a few rules that I've gleaned from experience that help me decide on products. I know that silicones and sulfates do well in areas with hard water, protein isn't great for my hair due to its coarseness, and humectants aren't great for dry weather (so a cold dry weather means humectants are out and emollients are in). So it's usually weather and water quality that makes me decide on my routine. When I experiment with my basic routine of shampoo and conditioner, I try to only change or add one factor at a time so I can really deduce how effective it was.

biogirl87
December 27th, 2013, 02:08 AM
I am not completely sure why but my hair likes pretty much anything I try to use on it (baking soda/apple cider vinegar washing routine and using gel with the curly girl method have been the two biggest failures so far). I am also one of the people who tries to keep to keep as few bottles of shampoo and conditioner around as possible. The one time this year when I had more than one bottle of conditioner was when I was trying to see if my hair liked protein (I had only portein-free conditioner at that time) and I did a little experiment of protein vs. protein-free conditioner until I found out that my hair doesn't really like protein (the conditioner that contains protein then got used up as shaving cream for shaving undrearms). Also, the one time I had more than one bottle of shampoo was when I was previously using sulfate-free shampoo and then started thinking that maybe my scalp does better with sulfate shampoos and at that point the sulfate-free shampoo got used up as body wash.

Now, when I am choosing shampoos or conditioning agents for my hair (I do not use any product on my hair and get many hairs coming out in the shower any time I use conditioner), I try to see which shampoos will still give me volume, which will not wreck my waves, and which smell the nicest. Having my hair cut to around shoulder length has given me the freedom to not have to read the ingredients of the shampoos I am considering and has allowed me to choose the shampoo based on scent or fragrance, which means spending less time in the shampoo aisle.

Weewah
December 27th, 2013, 03:19 AM
I have a checklist of products I need(clarifying shampoo, regular shampoo, conditioner, some sort of smoothing cream, mousse, serum, finishing holding spray, I think that's about it), and whenever I run out of something I'll either replace it with the exact same thing or I'll try something else. If I try a new product and don't like it I'll most likely end up never using it or throwing it out. I like to keep things simple and don't like having big stashes of stuff, I get rid of things I don't use pretty frequently.

ErinLeigh
December 27th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I found my HG conditioner and could stop my madness but I think it has been discontinued! Depressing. My new obsession can be finding any remaining ones left in the world.

I could pare down.
Shampoo
SLS - will use Suave Daily Clarify to kill 2 birds with one stone maybe?
natural
SLS free
Vo5 for co wash

Conditioner
a cone and cone free option (can do without protein and just get protein from spray treatments)

Leave In: a cone free creme and a coney spray
Protein Spray: just keep one

Oils : can never part with any! lol

Styling: never use anything but hairspray once every few months if I have an event so those can go.

Heat Protector: maybe just a coney spray and no cone serum

Ok, that wasn't so painful...wah! Just gotta now decide which to keep and which I should pack up and ship to DIL.

Oh, gotta keep ACV, aloe, and honey.

kidari
December 27th, 2013, 03:52 AM
I am a recovering hoarder, impulse buyer, and experimenter when it comes to all things hair. From nearly 4 years of obsessing over long healthy hair I've come to the conclusion that the majority of the ladies with uber long, exceptionally gorgeous hair had the most simplest of routines and stuck with a minimal amount of products. It pretty much winds down to figuring out what works on your hair (routines and products) and just being consistent with it. Not only does it work perfectly but it also cuts down on any issues for their long hair being difficult to care for in any way. I admire that and that is my goal. I only ever use shampoo with gentler sulfates, conditioners with and without cones, deep treatments, natural items, and leave-in conditioners. My goal is to find economical items that work perfectly and buy it in huge sizes and just stick to it. The only thing I will allow myself to continue to indulge in is trying out new treatments and oils- I love that!

Flor
December 27th, 2013, 04:02 AM
I've sworn off store-bought hair care products a year ago, cold turkey. Just had enough trial and error and looking for a perfect shampoo/conditioner and worrying if the ingredients are actually harmless. Made my life a lot easier in the sense that I'm no longer tempted to try new stuff all the time. Simultaneously I found that shampoo bars + ACV is the best hair washing routine I've ever had. Most of my oils are from the kitchen and most of my leave-in/treatments are either DIY or from Etsy.

WilfredAllen
December 27th, 2013, 04:20 AM
I'm a minimalist. I did some experimenting, but ultimately I want a simple, repeatable routine. I do occasional protein or moisture treatments if I decide I need them, though

Flor
December 27th, 2013, 04:52 AM
I've sworn off store-bought hair care products a year ago, cold turkey. Just had enough trial and error and looking for a perfect shampoo/conditioner and worrying if the ingredients are actually harmless. Made my life a lot easier in the sense that I'm no longer tempted to try new stuff all the time. Simultaneously I found that shampoo bars + ACV is the best hair washing routine I've ever had. Most of my oils are from the kitchen and most of my leave-in/treatments are either DIY or from Etsy.

Zebra Fish
December 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Don't have much products - 1-2 conditioners, shampoo, oil and now I'm considering a mask. So... yeah, not really much from switching :p

Stray_mind
December 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Well my routine is very minimalistic. My hair is quite dry, so i use oils, sometimes a leave-in conditioner and wash my hair every 4th day to keep my own oils on my head for awhile... So i guess i could say that my hair condition determines my routine. If it feels dry, i use something to keep the all the humidity inside, if it's ok, i just shampoo...

lunalocks
December 27th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I went through a phase when I had to try everything, and have a bag full of half used products to show for it. I discovered my hair hates coconut (and everything with that product in it) and cones. And aloe. I tried most oils and like the cheapest one, mineral oil the best. Now I wash length and ends with Vo5 vanilla mint tea clarifying conditioner (very inexpensive stuff, especially on sale) Dessert Essence organic red raspberry shampoo (this IS expensive, but worth it), then catnip tea to rinse or soak, then mineral oil to the ends. Air dry, finger comb and I have great hair especially on wash day. 4 products. That's it.

sparrowswing
December 27th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I'm a creature of habit. I find something that works, and that is what I use. If the formula changes, I may need to find something new. If my needs change, I have to find something new. But I hate the whole search/experiment process. I just spent nearly two years trying all sorts of different shampoos and wash methods, trying to get away from sulfates, and finally I just gave up and went back to Garnier Fructis because that worked just fine for me for half my life. I did have a small collection of "failed experiments" but I gave them away, mostly to my mom and DBF. There is still one shampoo I want to try, but I can't seem to find it in any local stores, so I'm sticking with Garnier, which I can buy almost anywhere, for the time being. For conditioner, I've been using V05 as far back as I can remember.

I almost never use any other hair products. Most of what I hoard are hairtoys, and even then it's usually the smaller stuff like pins and ties.

biogirl87
December 27th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'm a creature of habit. I find something that works, and that is what I use. If the formula changes, I may need to find something new. If my needs change, I have to find something new. But I hate the whole search/experiment process. I just spent nearly two years trying all sorts of different shampoos and wash methods, trying to get away from sulfates, and finally I just gave up and went back to Garnier Fructis because that worked just fine for me for half my life. I did have a small collection of "failed experiments" but I gave them away, mostly to my mom and DBF. There is still one shampoo I want to try, but I can't seem to find it in any local stores, so I'm sticking with Garnier, which I can buy almost anywhere, for the time being. For conditioner, I've been using V05 as far back as I can remember.sparrowswing, I am the same way. After a year of doing cone vs. cone-free and brushing vs. combing and curly girl method experiments, I have gone back to the same routine I had in my pre-LHC days with the exception that I use mineral oil or apple cider vinegar rinse once in a while.

Vivalagina
December 27th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I went through a phase of having to try out everything, right when I found this forum. I wanted ALL THE THINGS! But now I have calmed down and my go-to routine is super simple: cocoveda oil as pre-poo (sometimes); Suave Naturals CO wash (diluted); Darcy's Botanicals LI (loooove the scents!). I'll clarify and chelate about once per season and do an SMT afterward. My hair likes simplicity, and so does my wallet. My biggest splurge is the LI, but my hair loves them and a bottle lasts me a while. :)

animetor7
December 28th, 2013, 03:01 AM
Frankly I can't afford to be buying tons of hair stuff so I have to use up my stash before I can move on to other things XD. That said I do still do some experimenting that can sometimes result in a stash of less than usable products lying around. When this happens I do one of three things. 1) If the product is just sort of meh but not terrible I'll use it up. 2) If the product is bad for me but not necessarily wholly bad I'll give it to someone else. 3) If the product is awful and should never be used for cleaning something alive I'll use it as dish soap or just throw it out. Luckily 3 has only happened once or twice, I can be fairly resourceful in finding uses for things. ;)

ErinLeigh
December 28th, 2013, 05:17 AM
my routine itself never changes, same since I was a teen (except now I coconut oil before a SLS shampoo)
*shampoo.condition
*a leave in conditioner plus sealing oil(oil is a new thing) if I am chilling and have nowhere to go, but mostly use nothing as I like clean, light feeling
*no leave in but a heat protect if I am round brushing hair to get some style for a night out. (rarely, but if it is formal event hairspray)
*monthly clarify and deep condition (always did that too and always switched those up as well)

same routine forever - oil is only thing new..but never once have I used the same product twice in doing this same routine. The products just keep building up in my stockpile as I never find anything that just wows me, I get bored with something after a few washes and then see something on sale I feel like trying. Difference is last few years I've been buying more than I used to instead of using most of my stash up first. My hair turns out the same no matter what I use so why I care I truly don't know. Maybe I secretly like variety? I just think life would be lot less expensive and simple if I had a go-to products routine. I am not a shopper and rarely buy ANYTHING so maybe this is my thing? I mean why do I have mouse and ges and schrunching curl stuff too when I never ever use them? I never wear my hair wurly. I could, I am a secret wurly....hmmm, wonder if my wurls/curls are back full yet? Keratin took those out but I can see them forming back.

The more I think about it that is probably what all the playing around with different brands has been in search of just finding that perfect hair. For me it is smooth but with body. My hair is so fine there is no body at the roots. I also went back and forth from a dry high altitude climate to a low altitude humid one (Florida.Colorado.Florida) so my product roulette probably also reflected my subconscious need to adapt to environment and take the hunting around further than I used to do. I think getting keratin and having that change my hair type over last 2 years also kicked in a deeper need to switch things up more since hair just felt so...different. Now that the keratin has worn off and I am adapted to my environment finally maybe I can finally chill and go back to buying something, using it and THEN getting something different to try.

On a positive note..I wont have to buy anything for 2 years :)