PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else's hair look really bad when you take it down?

Joly
December 26th, 2013, 12:32 AM
If I wear my hair down after letting it air dry, it looks soft and pretty, but if I do even the simplest updo, like a nautilus bun, in dry hair, when I take it down, my ends look puffy and my hair looks flat and unappealing. Is the fault in my technique, or do I just have a fussy hairtype?

I'm 1c/2a/m/ii.

HintOfMint
December 26th, 2013, 12:40 AM
That's interesting, I'm the complete opposite. My hair is fluffy and frizzy at the ends, unevenly textured, and flat at the roots if I leave it to airdry loose. If I put it in a bun and then take it down, my hair becomes va-va-voom gorgeous--lift at the roots, even texture, calmed ends. I'm a 2b m/c ii/iii so it may be a texture thing. It loosens my waves and smooths them into a 1c/2a, exactly the texture you have naturally.

It may also have to do with where you position your bun. When I'm doing a damp bun, I'll position it higher on my head so I have some lift at the roots. If it's positioned lower, I'll have less volume there.
As far as the fluffy ends go, maybe stopping the twisting before the last three inches of hair will help. I know that when I would twist my hair all the way down and tuck the ends in as coiled as the rest of my hair, the ends would come out all kinked and frizzy.

Flor
December 26th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Try cinnamon bun instead, oil the ends before you put hair up and like HintOfMint said, position the bun higher up. When you take it down, don't brush through it, but finger comb gently (applying a teeny tiny bit of oil on your hands should help finger combing).

I don't care for nautilus bun waves personally. It makes a big kink on top, followed by straight portion and then waves start - that just look funny to me. Cinnamon bun gives me very "Old Hollywood" waves and it's much less effort than sock bun, for example.

Joly
December 26th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try them out and report back. I've never worn a cinnamon bun before.

Llama
December 26th, 2013, 08:18 AM
The same thing happens on my hair. My hair get oily easily and is fine textured, I always thought it had to do with my hair type.