View Full Version : Softer Hair Solution

noludoru
December 24th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Please share yours, too! I know a lot of people here use aloe, and that doesn't work well for me in the dry CO environment. It makes it crunchy and seems to add buildup.

Mine has been argan oil. I used it when I fried my hair and bleached it (over and over again) to make it feel like hair again, so I didn't get to enjoy the effects on mostly virgin hair before. I was ruffling my friend's hair and when she mentioned it was the argan oil I recommended her (for her skin, not hair) I had to try it. Her hair was so absurdly soft, I couldn't stop touching it.

I have naturally thick, mixed hair. Some strands are fine, some are coarser than my Lab's fur. It usually feels coarse and kind of gross. I got some more argan oil off of Amazon as a present this winter, and I've been putting a few drops in my hair every day before I get out of the shower. It's actually getting noticeably softer without any buildup. Coconut oil and olive oil didn't work that well for me, so I figured I'd share!

Sharysa
December 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM
My hair is all coarse, and even when I was straightening it in high school, it's never been brittle or felt like my dog's fur. Heck, my dog's fur is almost like human hair. Why do people keep thinking that coarse hair is bad because it's not silky soft?

On topic: My hair does dry out and frizz really easily because it's borderline wavy (1c/2a), so I use sweet-almond oil to keep it calm and supple. Coconut oil was way too heavy for me, too--ironic, since I'm Filipino and that was the first thing Mom recommended when I wanted soft hair.

noludoru
December 24th, 2013, 09:49 PM
My hair is all coarse, and even when I was straightening it in high school, it's never been brittle or felt like my dog's fur. Heck, my dog's fur is almost like human hair. Why do people keep thinking that coarse hair is bad because it's not silky soft?

For me, I love running my hands through soft, long hair. My dog is a lab mix - so, super coarse, oily fur. He's smooth, not soft, if that makes sense? A better comparison might be horse hair. It's usually very thick and coarse. I don't enjoy running my fingers through my own hair, and I want soft hair on my own head. I don't mean to insult anyone who has coarse hair (or my dog - but I'd like a softer, snugglier dog, too, while I'm at it!).

Sharysa
December 24th, 2013, 10:27 PM
No problem, I'm used to people comparing coarse hair to wires, bristles, or fur. Also, my dog is a little dachshund/spaniel mix, so that probably makes her fur pretty soft.

As for texture, have you figured out your type? Some people may think they have straight hair that frizzes a lot, when it's actually wavy/curly, or at least borderline so. LOTS of people have come in with hair that's unmanageable/frizzy/rough/hard/etc (including me), but a few weeks after they start taking care of it, they end up discovering their hair is wavy or curly. Maybe you thought your hair was straight when it's not?

Naiadryade
December 24th, 2013, 10:51 PM
I don't have anything to say about coarseness or curliness. But I will say that my soft hair solution is Shea Moisture's Deep Treatment Masque. Used as conditioner, and a small amount as leave-in. With a few drops of oil on top to help with slip. I can't stop touching my hair in the day or two following a wash, it feels so nice.

biogirl87
December 24th, 2013, 11:35 PM
noludoru, I cannot really help as I am having the opposite problem at times. Sometime it feels like my fine hair is too soft (even without using conditioner) and then I start thinking of what can I do to my hair that's not too damaging and will make it rougher. I hope you find what works for you.

Foxylocks
December 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I have mixed hair: a few sections of my scalp grow hairs that are medium thickness, but the majority are fine. For me, my hair can never be too soft! I have found that silicone derivatives really help with softness, as well as conditioners that exclusively contain argan oil. A great conditioner is Suave's argan oil line.

noludoru
December 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM
No problem, I'm used to people comparing coarse hair to wires, bristles, or fur. Also, my dog is a little dachshund/spaniel mix, so that probably makes her fur pretty soft.

As for texture, have you figured out your type? Some people may think they have straight hair that frizzes a lot, when it's actually wavy/curly, or at least borderline so. LOTS of people have come in with hair that's unmanageable/frizzy/rough/hard/etc (including me), but a few weeks after they start taking care of it, they end up discovering their hair is wavy or curly. Maybe you thought your hair was straight when it's not?

Yep, your dog's hair would be way softer than my hair, too. My roommate has a Vizsla with fur that I envy - I just want to stick my face in her ears. I also want the bright red color. ;)

My hair curly/wavy, with super fine hairs and lots of black, coarse hairs that started growing in 2008. They're super thick and tough, and seem to grow just as long as the regular ones, but they don't have a normal curl pattern like the rest of my hair.

noludoru, I cannot really help as I am having the opposite problem at times. Sometime it feels like my fine hair is too soft (even without using conditioner) and then I start thinking of what can I do to my hair that's not too damaging and will make it rougher. I hope you find what works for you.

Is it because it wont stay up?

Pierre
December 25th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Mine is henna and jojoba. I hennaed Monday night; sometime this morning or last night I rebraided, but before I finished braiding, I spent a long while touching my hair to my face, savoring the softness (and the smell). There is probably a little jojoba left after the henna took most of it off.

katiebeans
December 25th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I've been thinking about giving Argan oil a try. Might look into that with some of the money I received for christmas :)

My hair doesn't need too much of a soft-boost, though. Distributing the natural oils through my length seems to do the job. Has anyone ever used oats? I used to soak some in water overnight, and rinse my hair with the oat water. It made my hair pretty soft.

MeowScat
December 25th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I'm now addicted to Vinegar rinses. I can't believe how soft and smooth it has made my hair. I use a capful (some people use more) in a 12 ounce plastic cup after I shampoo and condition my hair. Then I rinse the Vinegar out, some people don't. I use White Vinegar instead of Apple Cider Vinegar since it might leave a reddish tint.

It took a few tries for me to fall in love with it, but I'm glad I stuck with it. It might work for your hair. :)

biogirl87
December 25th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Yep, your dog's hair would be way softer than my hair, too. My roommate has a Vizsla with fur that I envy - I just want to stick my face in her ears. I also want the bright red color. ;)

My hair curly/wavy, with super fine hairs and lots of black, coarse hairs that started growing in 2008. They're super thick and tough, and seem to grow just as long as the regular ones, but they don't have a normal curl pattern like the rest of my hair.

Is it because it wont stay up?noludoru, I do not think it is because it won't stay up. I think it does not stay up because it is fine-textured. I am trying a shampoo only experiment right now to see how long my hair can go without needing to be conditioned. I remember even when I was in my teenage years I did not really conditioner and only used it when I used Pantene and Suave shampoos which were the two brands that would give me dry hair after I shampooed it (this was in the years before both brands reformulated their shampoo).

Soullurre
December 25th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Yes, I use oats. I grind my oatmeal up into powder and use extremely hot water and stir. I cover my hair and rinse. I love oatmeal. :)

ErinLeigh
December 25th, 2013, 10:58 PM
avocado oil makes my hair really soft

YamaMaya
December 26th, 2013, 04:20 AM
My go to solution for soft hair is to do a hot oil treatment of coconut and olive oil. It gives my hair much needed slip and fills in any damaged areas. My conditioner also has argan oil in it for sealing.

lapushka
December 27th, 2013, 04:28 AM
My solution is simple. After my shampoo, my hair's conditioned twice. It kind of acts as a deep conditioner. Then for styling: a leave-in, gel, and a serum/oil (see: "loc method" thread). Yes, that much goes onto the hair! And no it doesn't weigh it down in the slightest, and I have F hair. I think I repeated it so much on this site already that people are getting sick of reading it. :lol: Yes, conditioning twice and a good styling method are my secrets.