PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle suggestions please!

bradlea
December 24th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Hey guys! I'm having a problem. My hair is MBL (with layers, ugh.) and getting to the point where I really need to be more careful to wear it up more often, because it's tangly as hell all the time and I get anxiety about ripping even a single hair, haha. So I need to think of some more protective styles, but I have some special considerations for what kind of style I can wear. Bonus points if you can help me think of a sleep style! Also- I have browsed the boards a lot, done searches, and know of many different hairstyles, I'm just having some kind of brain foggy trouble collating and remembering the information I need (thyroid problems and holiday stress >_<) which is why I'm asking for your help.

Here are the mission parameters:

1. I absolutely love braids, but absolutely hate the look of braid waves on my hair. I wish my braid waves could look good but they just look weird and crimpy and jagged even when I braid loosely. So I can really only wear braids if I'm planning to wash my hair the next day, although I suppose I could just put it into a new style as long as the braid waves weren't too evident. Do herringbone braids leave different waves?

2. I think I look bad with my hair pulled back too tightly, and get a lot of scalp pain unless things are really loose. I'm getting tired of sloppy buns at my nape, though, and they don't look very nice.

3. I want styles that I can take out and my hair still looks nice, without dents, so no elastics.

4. I am really tenderheaded at my head's apex and any part lines, so lower things with few partings is best. I can't stand anything secured high up for long, and then my scalp hurts for at least the rest of the day.

I don't know, I can't think of anything actually pretty, mostly just basics like bunned rope braids or something. I feel like styles like that aren't interesting or flattering enough on me to make me do them, which is the whole reason I wear my hair down almost every day. Thanks in advance for the help! :blossom:

BlueMajorelle
December 24th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I roll and pin the sides of my hair before putting it into anything, so it looks softer than if just pulled straight back. This is not a picture of me, but shows you what the sides look like. http://www.glamour.com/images/beauty/2013/02/carolina-herrera-hair-nyfw-2013-w724.jpg

Agnes Hannah
December 26th, 2013, 07:12 AM
french braid tucked under? I have done this for daytime and then slept in it too. Useful if washing the next morning, as the braid waves disappear.

bradlea
December 26th, 2013, 02:26 PM
ooh thanks guys! i like the rolling idea, i used it yesterday though i didn't have time to respond :] and agnes, i used to be able to do a tucked french braid, but now that my hair is long i can't seem to get it tucked without causing stress on the hairs at my nape. any tips?

anitacs9101
January 3rd, 2014, 09:35 PM
Maybe wearing braids will help you wear your hair up more often for fear of wearing it down xD

You could try a rope braid, which creates loose spiral waves as opposed to zig zag waves like regular braids give. The only problem with that is that it's kind of hard to do without starting with a ponytail. My hair doesn't dent with ponytails so I don't have that issue. You could start with a scrunchie pony, maybe? Another thing is that rope braids don't stay neat for as long as 3 (or more) strand braids do. To combat this (and make it even prettier) you could do a double rope braid (two rope braids rope braided together, lol) which I think is called a helix braid but not sure.

As for updos, I get what you mean lol. Maybe you could invest in some pretty new hairtoys? My first hairtoy purchased was 3 single Ead sticks. I lost the third before I got a chance to wear it, and the second one clashes with my hair color, so I got bored wearing the same one all the time, and thus stuck with ponytails. Also the only regular stick bun I knew how to do was a nautilus, and it was kinda ugly on me. So I got 3 new pairs of sticks from Ead, and learned some new buns that don't look like a funnily shaped pile of poo on my head, and now I wear them all the time, and get tons of compliments :)

Another thing you could do to jazz up a boring style is maybe twists or braids into the bun. Like you could do two small side braids, or twist the sides, or french/dutch braid. I just do them with my natural parting. It looks cool asymmetrical.

And for bed, I take three scrunchies, one large and two small. I tie the large one off at the nape and then the next two down the length. This keeps the hair contained like a braid without the braid waves. It doesn't leave dents in my hair but it may in yours.

PixxieStix
January 3rd, 2014, 11:56 PM
I don't like having my hair down my back or on my neck while sleeping, so I like to do a loose upside down braid and tie off the end with the scrunchie, it looks ridiculous but hey, only my hubby sees me and he doesn't care. :) Anitacs9101's idea of the multiple scrunchies is a good idea too!

You could also look in to getting some sort of sleep bonnet or silky drawstring pouch you could put the length of your hair in to, tie it off with a scrunchie and maybe not have to worry about it that way.

&rea
January 4th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Here's a link to my No Heat Hairstyles board on Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/andreabrooke92/no-heat-hairstyles/

I would also check out flexi 8 hair clips, if you haven't already. They are a great alternative for elastics, claw clips or barrettes. A lot of LHC members use them, myself included. There's a flexi 8 tread, but the website is www.flexi8.com and http://www.lillarose.biz/